Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Ground floor.

My body is reddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Oh by the way, if you haven't heard yet: The Primal Lakshmi's theme is out and running wild.

Suffice it to say that the harder modes will undoubtedly require the whole raid to perform a full Bollywood routine.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Oh hey just in time for there to be an aethernet shard there now too.

Prepare to see the Ul'dah market explode. :getin:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

kaempfer0080 posted:

Is everyone leveling RDM and SAM planning on running potd? I've done so much of it recently that thought of doing more makes me physically ill, but I know that's where I'll be. The new FATE changes look awesome but they only affect Stormblood FATEs afaik.

Nah. Gonna grind FATEs, do whatever dungeons the queue allows, do beast tribe quests that I'd been slacking on, and maybe PotD a bit here and there.

Getting RDM up to speed at 60 is my first goal above all things, but I don't necessarily care about being "efficient". :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

So, exactly how do you pronounce "zwerchhau"?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

a kitten posted:

We went a whole expansion and i never saw one person named Heaven Sward.
Disappointing.

Stormb Lood

a kitten posted:

Foul isn't a very exciting name for my new big BLM spell.

Brak

Rub

XXXX

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Thundarr posted:

The greatest challenge with Samurai is that I will never, ever get the names of their skills straight, meaning I will only be able to communicate rotations by describing what the icons look like.

Just read them out loud in your best angry shonen anime hero impression, and you'll not only get them all correct but have mastered 99% of Japanese.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

The real sin of Stormblood is that it's gonna be really hard to make fitting RDM glamours because 90% of caster gear is black robes.

Be Maelstrom.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I'm getting kicked offline trying to do this Red Mage quest duty.

Do these quests unlock anything amazing or is it safe to go and gain levels until things shape up?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I really, really want to be good at Red Mage.

I really wish I would stop accidentally hitting Jolt when Dualcast is up.

I really hate that the only indicator of it is a tiny-rear end buff icon when they specifically said that they want to do away with reliance on tracking tiny-rear end buff icons.

Is this just a matter of keeping going until you've got the muscle memory down or what?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Leofish posted:

Red Mage is all about rhythm, so yeah, you just need to practice. Always try to have a veraero or verthunder ready to fire after every hard cast of anything, and really only use jolt if you're dry on verstone or verfire procs.

I think what's tripping me is, on paper, it's very simple: If you just cast a thing with a cast bar, then make the next thing verareo/verthunder.

But, this game, and MMOs, have always had cast bars around. Years and years. They're not a thing around which any particular reflex has developed. Suddenly having to develop a quick instinct for a very specific action after doing something with a cast bar is new and disorienting.

Not that it can't be done, of course, but the struggle is real. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Hey, take a minute, relax, and enjoy this art someone did for each of the 51 tribes of the Xaela.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

They were right to try to kick us out of town.

Bonus:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Thundarr posted:

There's a /praisethesun emote now?

Only if you're a suncat.

(otherwise it's in the monk /bstance or /vpose, forget which)

More of my Stormblood adventures over the weekend:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I don't really care what's best, because Warrior has always been my thing and we're gonna stay buddies even through the bad times.

But more importantly, Dorgono is adorable.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

A goon playing a catgirl in the shisui set

I regret nothing

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Well, after Haurchefant, I was afraid the WoL's heart had forever closed to love.

But then Zenos came along, and the passion was back and more flammable than ever.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I just need to say two things right now:

1. The entire story segment from Bardam's Mettle to Doma Castle is insanely cool

2. Magnai needs to have his own spinoff game that's a dating sim

These are the things I needed to say.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I'm focusing on Monk these days. Did anything actually change about them this patch?

Also, what materia.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I was a catgirl, but just did a fantasia and my neck grew like the mighty oak. And everything else.

Elf is underrated. This turned out good.

And speaking of things under-played, I utterly refuse to give up Monk.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

what're those gloves/top?

Monk 70 AF.

(play monk and be swank)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

It isn't that monk is good. It's that monk looks good. :shepface:

Realtalk, I like the core gameplay that monk has always had, which is still enough to keep me interested, and both the tackle buffs and Brotherhood are fun, if nothing spectacular. Riddle of Fire, though, is a gigantic fart; it's the pure essence of an ability that is useful mathematically but feels bad and not remotely fun to use. The job is just begging for either a GL4 or an instant full GL stacks move. Last we heard from Yoshi is that they would need to crunch a whole lot of numbers to make that "balanced", but that isn't particularly sympathetic seeing as how that's what they do, and there's probably already a million theorycraft threads out there that have already done this.

There's also the nagging feeling that Warrior, as my secondary, actually does more DPS than Monk when I off-tank thanks to regular 15-20k Fel Cleave crits.

Oh well. Maybe 4.2.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

See that's cool I like big numbers but I also like going fast

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Well I'm glad the long-awaited FFXIV/WoW crossover event is focusing exclusively on four significant characters from what was WoW's best expansion.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

So, do monks get anything? Like at all?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

FFVI BNW is supposed to be alright in terms of gameplay, but they saw fit to redo the dialogue to include gratuitous fuckwords and memes, which is very much not alright. If someone took it and just put the Woolsey script back in, it might be worth it.

Altogether, FFVI has aged about as gracefully as it's possible for a 16-bit game to age. It's one, alongside the likes of Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu 3, which demonstrated artistic mastery of a limited sprite-based medium, pushing such hardware about as far as it could go and possessing a real sense of style.

SpaceDrake posted:

MNK: Riddle of Wind can grant GL stack(s), Brotherhood's damage increase effect now affects the casting MNK, Mantra & Perfect Balance recast times are reduced.

Well hey.

Maybe they realize RoF feels terrible and are trying to sweeten it by giving us a shiny GL distraction prior to popping it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hope the theme is just one winged angel. Touch it up a little, or don’t, I don’t care

No, no touch ups. Original OWA only.

Bloopy PS1 synth backing real-people vocals is how Uematsu-san intended it and every remaster and/or cover since has been an insult to our pedigree.

e. Also one of the bosses in the FF7 Omega raid had better be Gi Nattak.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 20, 2018

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Tornado Kick only exists so you have a button to push before a phase transition, and they have no apparent interest in making it anything else.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

RME posted:

monk is cool you cowards

This is very true. The devs just have no idea how to polish some really janky abilities it comes with. The gameplay style has always been extremely fun, and it puts out serious steady DPS despite not having huge burst damage. The 4.2 changes sound like they'll make things a lot more comfy.

I love how FFXIV's Monk conveys the feeling of being a low-down-dirty aggressive brawler real well. Compare WoW Monk, which feels very much more Wuxia-fantasy inspired (with some superbly cartoon elements to the tank spec); FFXIV's, despite the job quests involving temples and spiritualism and whatnot, is all about the thug life.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Urianger went from worst scion to best as of the Warriors of Darkness story arc aka Urianger's Bizarre Adventure

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Omega vs. Shinryu because it's precisely what you expect to happen after a decade or so of suppressing SE's artists' drive to create nonsensical uncontrollable summon animations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Goodbye mindless fel cleave spam :smith:

Hello new best pal perfect balance :unsmith:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Unless I’m missing something, fel cleave spam is even more mindless now?

It isn't mindless until doing six in a row is literally the entire reason to play warrior

What the hell is tanking??

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The claw is the one true racial identity mount for all miqo'te.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

ARR's pacing is off, but if you don't appreciate the lead-in quests for like every primal past Off it for the satirical pisstake that they are, I feel bad for ya.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 30, 2018

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I'm not sure how to feel about all the new PvP gear being "Republican"

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Has there been much in the way of impressions or numbers on how Monk 4.2 is panning out?

Not that I'd expect too much, since it really just seemed like minor tweaks, but I'd love to actually roll up on Kefka Savage with fists.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I just went back to playing and finished the most recent MSQ.

Relevant to this and WoL-talk, I hereby declare Asahi to be the single most dangerous villain we will ever face because he really truly knows we only know how to solve problems with violence.

Anyway I grabbed some kickin' rad screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

What armor is this because now I think I know what I want to wear when I do monk

Good news, it's the monk 70 AF. You get it for free when you finish the quest line.

It might be one of the best-looking sets in the whole game. :v: The WoL Midlander guy is wearing it in the SB cinematic. Male characters do indeed get that tattoo he's sporting with it.

e. Steal my whole glamour. Third pic has Thavnairan Sarouel (jet black), Cashmere Boots (soot black) and High House Cloche (no dye) as accessories.