Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

So if I'm reading this right:

DNC has attack combos which are sort of like Red Mage in that they have a chance to proc a more powerful version of the attack.
Your goal is to build up gauge to spend on powerful attacks in addition to buffing/supporting your allies.
The dancing itself is a powerful attack that is sort of like Mudras and you do either a short one or a long one with short being easier but less damage?

The long dance is high-cooldown, high-damage, and a short duration group damage buff (assuming the leaked tooltip is real). The short one buffs you and your dance partner only and maintains 100% uptime (60s duration, 30s cd on ability), and does moderate damage itself.

Both dances give the Esprit buff to affected people, which makes their attacks fill your gauge as well, so if the long cooldown dance's tooltip is real your entire party will be feeding your gauge for a short time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Countblanc posted:

do we know what the DNC buffs do other than the crit/dhit one?

5% damage buff for one person (maintainable), 5% damage buff for entire group (15s duration 120s cd)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

It requires you to level crafting a little bit, but desynthesis is really good for making money. Armorcrafting desynth is particularly good, because it lets you turn GC seals into artisan frypans which desynth into fieldcraft and mastercraft demimateria, and poetics into shields which desynth into battlecraft demimateria (plus clear demimateria, crystals, and other materials). All of those sell very well.

Is this worth it with how many seals Artisan gear costs?

I'm hoping the first tier of crafting/gathering gear uses FC3s again in the expac because I have hundreds of them saved up ~just in case~.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Eimi posted:

It also sucks rear end to level. It was tedious but not awful until I finished the HW stuff I could solo. Then the only option is like tank queue for level 60 dungeons and grind them and hope you win greed rolls. :negative:

Which are you trying to level/what level are they? I have LTW WVR and GSM desynth at 300+ and did a lot of it off turning in crafting/gathering scrips for gear, both during HW and now.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Eimi posted:

Those are what I'm leveling, all having hit the I cannot solo anymore cap of about 160. What's the cheapest red scrip item to use? Since its Tuesday and customs just reset I'll have a ton of that.

So, GSM is super easy since 25 red scrips -> 1 blue scrip token -> 1 landmaster ring. They are ilvl 200 I think, so as long as you use the careful desynth consumables you can get a decent number of levels off them. I think one of the other accessories might be LTW, don't remember exactly, but those cost 2 tokens each.

WVR is a pain since you need armor and those are more (4-6 i think?).

The FC3 rate on Landmaster's Rings is about 45-50%, which is useful if they sell on your server.

I'm pretty sure the crafting rings are equivalent but I'd need to check.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Eimi posted:

This worked wonderfully! It's not quite as cheap for crafting rings, as you need necklace/earrings, but it still gets you skill points. With the bonus deliveries this week I'm over 170 for everything. Still a long way to go, but it's a huge help. As long as I can get my skills to desynth the first SB dungeon when I'm spam leveling DNC and GNB I'll be happy, as my current SHB leveling plan is RDM first with MSQ, then going back for GNB and DNC because they look incredible. GNB looks like a replacement for current drk, as I actually like the active ogcd stuff it has going on, and DNC is finally a ranged job with some potency to it.

IIRC I ended up at 220 during HW off scrip gear, since I was using them to make money (both the glass fiber, which is now worthless, and FC3s were selling for ~50k each on my server). Since they're ilvl 200 items the skill slows down a lot past 200. I can't really remember what I did after 220 to bridge the gap to SB gear.

Shire gear is 260 and you get a ton of poetics daily just from roulettes so that's definitely an option, and you should get some level of BC materia from them too. You can also craft early SB gear, some of it might have mats that are easy to gather since its leveling gear.

There's red scrip SB gear that is ilvl 300 but it obviously costs more than the HW stuff so its far less efficient, but it is an option if you prefer grinding scrips to trying to do dungeons.

After that you're mostly back to the dungeon grind.. I guess the options are yellow scrip crafter gear (350) or mendacity gear (360) + whatever you win greed rolls on? Don't really know whats most efficient. I'm still at 310 myself because I can't really be bothered until ShB comes out and I can just fail my way to 400.

aers fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 5, 2019

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Bussamove posted:

I tried doing MSQ roulette last night to level WHM and farm irregulars at once and the tanks just... just ran through all the mobs then stood there at the end doing their single target combos. No AoE enmity at all. It was a painful experience let me tell you.

I enjoy when the tank sprints all the way to the end then sits there fighting the trash when we're 10 feet away from the boss we could pull with the trash for 0 downside. Mostly the first two bosses in Castrum for this one, since Praetorium locks evver boss behind a door.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I feel like they were joking.

Allow me to offer a contrasting opinion: Yes!

If you have the time for them, that is. Praetorium takes a long drat time and Castrum takes just a little less but if you're ethically okay with being a lovely DPS then they are completely mindless. You can just run up and mash a combo through most fights and mess around on your phone or PC until the cutscenes are over and you get half a level or more for it in the end. It is not at all the most efficient method of leveling but I am a terrible person so I will take the slow easy XP over the faster XP that requires effort and engagement.

You get half a level from Praetorium if you have the roulette bonus, you sure as heck don't get close to that without?

MSQ roulette Praetorium got me about 5.6 million xp at level 69 and 4.7 million of that was the roulette bonus.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

LegionAreI posted:

Hmm, had to use Google translate, but it looks like they are trying some RNG mitigation stuff for drops in the new raids. Apparently accessory "boxes" and weapon "boxes" drop and you get rewards for what job you are when you open it? Not sure with the janky translation but that might be nice. Also something about getting multiple weapons per week?

This was in an earlier interview too, and that's in theory exactly what they're doing - instead of "my group got MNK chest 5 weeks in a row" its "my group got chest box 5 weeks in a row and 5 different people got it for their played job".

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

We need some DoH quests to craft inter-dimensional retainer bells.

..actually you're not too far off I guess:

quote:

Retainers and market boards will be accessbile at The First as usual. The story will explain why that is possible, but gameplay-wise nothing will change. However you will have to complete that part of the main scenario, which should be fairly early, to enable this.

There's a summary of the interview on the subreddit. A few interesting bits there.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

LegionAreI posted:

That's awesome. If that worked for all fights, Titan savage/extreme would be absolutely impossible for a lot of people!

Some subset of WoW players are currently discovering that the vanilla game is nowhere near as hard as they remember it to be with the advent of WoW classic. Titan _hard_ would be impossible for a lot of people.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Don't know what you guys are talking about, HoH is so much fun!

(leveling DNC on release day is going to end me)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

FFXI had a "time travel to the past" expansion so I don't see why FFXIV couldn't.

That said they've already stated the plans to 'finish' the current story have 4 years to go so presumably the 6.0 expansion will be the culmination of the Hydaelyn/Zodiark/Ascian plotline and after that it's a whole new world.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

The ARR launch primals tend to have absurdly quick attacks because square forgot that lovely cross-country barely-broadband connections are how most of the US has to play. It really only matters with Titan's knockbacks though.

The netcode was also far worse at 2.0 launch and some people who could dodge everything else in the game no problem couldn't get out of landslide. It was great!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Other than being able to desynth dungeon gear from your daily expert roulette is there any actual use for high level desynth? It was super useful in HW because you could get Glass Fiber from scrip gear & FC3s were in high demand but I don't think the same was true in SB? I didn't play for most of the expansion so I probably missed something.

Obviously ShB desynth could be a gold mine like HW was at some points.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Minrad posted:

Depends on if you're getting poo poo worth desynthing (duh, but BSM isn't really gonna be worth it if you aren't getting lots of weapon drops from, say, primals, for example)

For SB I think the big one was being able to get Stormsap from the alliance raid gear, meaning if you were running it a lot you could potentially make a fortune off a material that was otherwise capped by daily quests. Right now I think you can make a lot from desynthing primal weapons since a lot of the crafting mats from Heavensward and a few SB primals sell for a ton; scales from Nidhogg and Shinryu both go for almost a million very consistently and most of the other mats are up there anywhere from a million to half a million gil as well.

Good chance that prices and demand goes up for Stormblood primal crafting mats if they add glowy versions of their weapons again.

Ah yeah, okay. I never really thought about BSM (I have WVR/LTW/GSM right now like a lot of people), dunno what I'd drop for it to do weapons.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Infidel Castro posted:

XI got updates up until 2015 and they would probably still be expanding it if that style of MMO wasn't horribly outdated. Realistically XIV is only 7 years old, feels like a modern MMO, and as long as people are subscribing they'll keep adding content.

FFXI updated last week!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

It's funny that WoW is (possibly, since numbers are unknown) at their lowest population point and surrounded by mostly negative press while FFXIV is officially at it's highest population point and surrounded by mostly good buzz.

"Let's release a content patch to our currently unpopular game while our competitor releases an expansion to their currently popular." -A very smart person

8.0 - august 13
8.1 - december 11
8.1.5 - march 12
8.2 - june 25

Obviously they always release patches near FFXIV expansions (you can check major patch dates vs earlier expansions) but its not like they delayed or moved forward the patch for this, its their normal release schedule. Should they just not release game updates?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Ort posted:

I had forgotten how brutally long Praetorium was last night. Took at least 45 minutes, for less xp than an Alliance Roulette that can be done in 15 minutes. It’s nice getting a whole level but pushing that msqdr queue button is going to feel like a gamble every time now.

There's like 30 minutes of cutscenes, plenty of time to watch half an episode of something..

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The whole dungeon was a disaster. The DRK was in his 290 af gear. Not a glamour, and not the Eureka upgrade.

..did he queue with real gear and then change it? It's 340 required right?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah it made hunts... interesting.

In one of the seven million interviews recently it was mentioned they've made group teleports send your group to the same instance now.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Vermain posted:

Actually, Glasya is often a case of people trying too much. The average group has enough DPS to bypass his first enrage if you completely ignore the Wrights, but a lot of people still think you need to do them to clear the fight, so you get half of your DPS loving off to kill the robots, pushing your average DPS on Glasya down enough that you'll hit the enrage.

I just mark it with 1 every time to induce tunneling, seems to work.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Solitair posted:

I'm almost at 70 on everything. I only need 3 levels on Monk and 10 on Dragoon. I think I can do it before launch.

Roulettes + beast tribe dailies get you pretty close to 2 levels a day so that sounds pretty easy actually.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

If you're willing to grind hunts forever seals can get you to 360~ (with upgraded i340 gear).

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Keep in mind only the right side (+ belt) yellow scrip gear is desynthable, so that's LTW GSM and..maybe one of the acc is CRP? I dont remember.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Vermain posted:

You could have NPC enemies randomly choosing to perform actions that need to be interrupted or the like, but that's not the kind of game the devs are making.

They're adding interrupts in ShB but given the history of FFXIV design, they'll presumably be scripted like everything else.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

Hmm I really wonder where they could cut their workload down to make male viera/female hrothgar more viable. No possible idea what they could cut to make way for that. Guess we just have to make do.

Removing Lalafell entirely to cut the number of meshes in half?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

You can already turn it off.

The big problem with the frame rate limiter is that it's actually broken and when its on your game's FPS will plummet and start stuttering if you, for example, have a video playing on another monitor.

If I stand somewhere where I get 100 FPS with "Frame Limit: None", then turn on "Frame Limit: 1/2 (72 FPS)" my fps drops to 25, if I turn on 1/4 (36 FPS) it drops to..9.