Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
When changing the color of the chocobo, does it store the actual RGB values independant of the color it "snaps" to, or do you have to go off of the new value when feeding it next time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Philonius posted:

Implement chronomancer tank, then include characters from Chrono Trigger as NPCs in their class quest, thanks.
This but unironically.

Brother Entropy posted:

ftr when i think 'melee healer' i don't think 'literally has to be in melee range of allies to heal them' because that's probably the most insufferable idea in the world, i'm just thinking more whatever their weird unique mechanic that other healers don't get involves whacking at monsters in melee range

The first bit is what Paladins in WoW are now, the Second bit is what Mistweaver monks used to have (the term Developers used for it was Fistweaving). The issue is that there are certain mechanics in fights that only target Healers/Ranged DPS, usually involving whatever kind of spread/clump/positioning thing the Ranged need to do that fight. And Mistweavers had their class tagged as basically role-less for that so they weren't dumping AOE silences on the tank or something stupid like that. Of course that happened even if they weren't in melee, so Mistweavers got to cheese some content just by dint of having the possibility of being in melee. So they got rid of that and Fistweaving stopped being A Thing except on the fights that would allow it, and people weren't too keen on learning a new playstyle for 2 fights a tier.

Paladins now have like, a talent, that triggers based on being in melee, and their mastery makes them heal more if they're within a certain radius of a person. So they tend to be melee adjacent, but not in the clump.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I also think that tanks have the smallest design space. All three tanks do the exact same thing just in variably flashy ways. This is a necessity of the design and I think a 4th tank no matter the name on its face would feel samey.
I get the feeling that Demon Hunters in WoW were created as a flashy newbie tank class, cause normally I hate tanking but I can do heroics no problem with my DH alt, hell my self healing is so ridiculous I barely need a healer. But once you get to higher difficulty content the timing on their defensive cooldowns gets much tighter.

Harrow posted:

I think they'd probably still need to use MP, though I'm sure people would say it "doesn't make sense." That's a consideration that would be pretty necessary for balance. Even in WoW, classes that don't normally use mana (like Monks) switch to having a mana bar when they use their healing spec. There's no way you'd be able to have a healing class that wasn't limited by MP.

I think the "All Healers Use Mana" design was more so that they can make healer specific fight mechanics/abilities(E.G. Innervate) without needing a special exception for Class Y who uses Chocolate Fudge instead.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

"I never did my rez spell quest" and "I never did the water totem quest" were things in WoW for a good while.

Or the druid that can't rez you because prior to Cataclysm their only rez was the instant cast one, usable in combat, on a 20 minute cooldown.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Leofish posted:

Didn't you also need a reagent for it?

Yes. And the convenience buffs all used reagents. Including the Paladin's greater blessings which you needed to cast once for every class in the group.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Prior to Cataclysm, most of my alts languished far, far, far, behind my druid and Warlock. And I'm pretty sure I created and deleted around fifteen Rogues right around the time I got to stranglethorn and decided "no this isn't fun anymore."

Heirlooms and cataclysm quest design made things much more enjoyable, and they've been working very hard at making sure that classes and specs feel and behave distinct from each other.

It helps that they've made a lot of mistakes along the way and learned from some of them, like Death Knights. 3 tank specs and 3 DPS specs spread across 3 talent trees sure did sound like a great idea, but all it really resulted in was a bunch of people who thought they could tank when they really, desperately, could not. Compratively you actually did see some vengeance Demon Hunters leveling out in the dungeons.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Wacky Delly posted:

They remember the good times they had and gloss over the bad because they're nostalgic about it. I had a lot of fun playing vanilla WoW. I would not play it again beyond a run around remembering how lovely it could get.

My favorite part of Vanilla WoW is, for a time if a Paladin with 1 point in Improved Judgement used Judgement of Wisdom rank 3 they were instantly mounted on a Black War Kodo, because one of the spell pointers was misplaced.

Another time, Grimoire of Sacrifice re-applied itself whenever you re-zoned. So Warlocks were soloing end-game content by hopping in and out of the entrance enough times that you were doing exponential amounts of damage.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

That's something I was trying to explain to my wife about storytelling in MMOs. She's never played any other MMO before FFXIV so she has no context for how any other game does story. It allowed me to take a look back at my years in WoW and be fascinated by how we were able to put together any story for that game.

World of Warcraft, by its very nature (and this is beside the fact that WoW has really bad writers), cannot tell a "good" and cohesive story due to the faction divide. You can't say "The Lich King was killed by the Horde" or "The Lich King was killed by the Alliance" it has to be "The Lich King was killed by this vague group of adventurers. The faction divide means there can never be any true WoW canon. You can talk about the villains but you can never talk about the heroes.

Hence why Green Jesus was the central character for so long. You can talk about him. You can't talk about the player character in the way FFXIV can with the Warrior of Light.

Except the problem with Thrall is that he wasn't your character, he was Metzen's. The latest expansion has him getting humbled in a big way due tot he backlash over Cataclysm, Mists, and Warlords of Draenor, and he hasn't been seen since.

Legion has been far better about portraying your character and his friends as the Hero, with the main NPC, Khadgar, providing powerful, if highly specialized, magical backup.

And yes, they have several NPCs in game talking about how the faction divide is stupid but they have to keep it up for PVP servers I guess.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gruckles posted:

The justifications for the pvp are really tired. Every expansion has them making a truce, but then something going wrong.
Legion going with "the classes all decided to form their own mini-factions with the player as the leader, and ignore the horde/alliance" is cool. But it's still dumb that it was instigated by a misunderstanding between the horde and alliance, and that even after that the alliance players gets roped in with the dumbass werewolf leader going rogue and disobeying the King's orders to not fight the Horde.

Did you miss the part in Stormheim where Genn's fears are proven 100% correct? Or the fact that they deliberately framed Sylv in the worst possible light during the alliance cinematic and then made her the Warchief of the horde because "The Loa Say You Have A Destiny" even though she's arguably the most unambiguously evil person in the whole loving world who would sacrifice the souls of everyone just to avoid being consigned to the endless nothingness of an afterlife she's earned herself?

Seriously the problem here isn't Genn's reaction, it's the fact that Blizz put Sylv in charge in the first loving place and not Lor'themar or Baine instead of the person who personally killed the prince of one of the Alliance's sovereign nations.

One of the chief reasons I want to get rid of the faction divide is so that they can stop having the Horde making terminally idiotic decisions so that there's a villain in charge while the actual citizens remain mostly blameless.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Going back to the WoW discussion a few pages back. At least this game is upfront about how important your character is to the plot, you know your role and you (and your ever changing dungeon queue rando friends) are good at it.

Like with WoW i don't even know where your character is suppose to fall in power in terms of Warcraft. I've not played Legion yet so i don't know how stupidly OP your character is suppose to be but up until at least Lich King you were just some random adventurer right? Stronger than a normal person but not nearly as cool and Thrall and friends? Plus lets not forget that every time a new expansion comes out the Alliance and the Horde have to come together to beat the bad guy anyway so what is even the drat point of fighting each other anymore. Or what about a dungeon/raid that lets you party up with people of any faction?

As for how powerful you are, one of the first things Enhancement shamans do in Legion is take Doomhammer from Thrall and use their mastery over the elements to make a copy of it made entirely of Lava while Thrall looks on very confused. The player characters in Legion are ostensibly the most powerful member of their class in the world, with ludicrously powerful weapons to match, and are recognized publically as such other than by the two goblins that swindle you with "Magical Potions that are totally not goblin urine." that were mentioned earlier, or people who have been out of the loop so long they have no reason to even recognize you.

I can only think of one "Bear Asses" Quest in the main legion storyline that really springs to mind and they justify it fairly well.

As for the faction divide, yeah I'm with you there. As it stands right now there's basically The Alliance, The Horde, and Whichever Horde Faction Leader Is Evil This Week.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 29, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Harrow posted:

This has the side effect of feeling kinda weird if you're a non-pandaren monk, incidentally. Like 90% of the named monk NPCs you meet are pandaren, and if your monk isn't one, it's kind of awkward to suddenly be the leader of an entire organization/way-of-life that you'd have to be pretty new to, at least going by the canonical timeline.

It helps that basically the entirety of the monk leadership was decapitated by the legion. It doesn't help that the monk class hall quest is "OH MY GOD THEY'RE MAKING EVIL BEER! STOP THEM!"

Cythereal posted:

But WoW timelines are hosed up in general.

Worgen Death Knights start in Wrath of the Lich King, travel forward in time to Cataclysm, then back in time like 7 years to the Opening of the Dark Portal, then forward again to Wrath of the Lich King, then finally back to Cataclysm again.

Yet they still claim that Worgen and Goblins can't be monks because of the timeline confusion.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Panic Attack posted:

Hi friends

Has anyone run into an issue lately where you punch in your details on the launcher, then it loads, and loads, and loads, and loads, and basically never lets you in?

Been doing this for me for the last few days. Do kinda wanna play my videogame. Tried reinstalling the launcher, but, same issue. Thinking it could be something on my end (firewall is clear, but we had a lot of powercuts lately and I have noticed some internet oddity).

I had that happen the other day when my internet died right after I put in my credentials, it doesn't seem to actually inform you when it hangs rather than keep trying.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love how the samaurai unlock quest is basically you wandering by an old guy and him chucking an uchigatana at you with "You'll do."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gruckles posted:

Annoys me in wow too when they're like "yeah night elf paladins exist, but not common enough for the player to be one." *gives every player the same legendary artifact that is unique in lore*

"Worgen and Goblins can't be monks because it doesn't make sense in the lore."
*Puts monk trainers in literally every single allied race starting zone*

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

While understandable, a lot of my excitement over the not-ronso was wanting to see one of them in the black mage gear.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Could always pull a WoW, have both strength and dex on the gear but only one is active depending on your class.

Or go completely insane and pull a SWTOR, remove every single stat except for Vitality and replace them with one generic power stat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

I got bored of WoW so I started playing this and there are seemingly a million systems going on but so far so good. Anything not covered by the OP that would be good to know for a new player who's familiar with MMOs in general? I started a GLD to transition to PLD and get the sweet tank queues.
This video is sort of meme-y at the start but it does have good tips for explaining systems that are analogous to WoW's stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQFNbB6cyY4

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Are there vendors to buy gear to use while leveling alt classes 1-50 if you don't just want to cut the Knot and level entirely through POTD.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Since Shopko is going bankrupt, my friend and I went to go see if there was anything left of value.

they also had several Evanescence CDs

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Next you're going to tell me that Raubahn is actually 22.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait what? What do you do with WoW classes if Red Mage. The job where you mostly react to procs to fill a meter to look rad is more complex than all of them? :psyduck:

Depends on the class, and with some of them you can talent into more complexity, but one of the main design goals for Battle For Azeroth was removing off-cooldown DPS Buffs. Unfortunately they also did this at the same time that artifact weapons, basically gigantic slabs of class complexity with an extra active skill attached, were removed from the game.

My rotation as a destruction warlock only had a few spells
Immolate(A Damage over Time spell)
Incinerate(Spamable damage)
Conflagrate(Instant damage that made my next spell cast faster)
Chaos Bolt(A Spell that spent a resource built up by immolate and incinerate)
Infernal(Our DPS Cooldown, summons a demon that generates chaos bolt resource)
Rain of Fire(a not so great AOE spell that costs 1.5 Chaos Bolts)

Our choice of pet adds some complexity and we have other utility spells but that's basically it. With Azerite Armor (the replacement for artifact weapons) I could either turn my infernal into even more of a burn phase, add a proc that gives me instant cast incinerates, or increase my damage for the first 20% of a mob's life.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Wow that sounds pretty dull. I'm glad that FFXIV still has some basic complexity. Even Red Mages have OGCD's to deal with.

Wow raid fights tend to require a lot more situational awareness and mechanical complexity, there's no way I'd want to be playing a BLM in Uldum. But they've really pared down on the class design since Mists of Pandaria. They moved a lot of our "class fantasy"(one of their favorite terms) into our artifact weapons and then removed them wholesale with BFA without adding much back, and what they did add back was through talents.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I don't know?

I'm just getting back into ARR after getting burned out on WoW. And even with ARR's lack of an encounter journal I'm usually able to figure out what i'm supposed to do with minimal instruction or after a wipe or two.

Whereas even normal fights in battle for darza-alor have several pages of mechanics.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Asimo posted:

People complain about FFXIV's patch pacing, but I'll definitely take 1-2 new dungeons, a new raid, and whatever side content predictably and reliably every 4-5 months than WoW's "wait a year to release stuff promised on the expansion box, maybe a new raid every six months".

I long for the days when wow got mid-expansion dungeons that weren't overtuned mythic only slogs that begrudgingly got downgraded after much winging on the part of the devs.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Raiding is a lot more work than board game night. Which is why a lot of people resent how it turns into an obligation. It's different for everyone whether the activity itself, and the social group you raid with, are entertaining enough to justify putting an obligation like that in your life.

I used to do it, can't do it anymore. Feels like an imposition and I just come to resent both the game and my raid group over time :shrug:

This is why I stopped raiding in WoW. There were a group of us who did all the necessary work outside of raid-hours to make sure we were geared to the nines with all the requisite consumables and strategies and such, but we didn't have enough people to fill ranks, so we joined with a smaller group of one or two hardcore raiders and their hangers on who just wanted to see content. Slowly that second group grew larger and larger and it felt like I was busting my rear end to contribute 100% with little to no recognition/reward.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

pray for my aunt posted:

gonna smash a bicycle over the emperor's dumb helmet

tenspeedgunbreaker

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So the odds of the Gunbreaker level up/class completion achievement being called "Maybe I am a Lion" increased by about 76% is what you're saying.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

the hrothgar clans are called "helions" and "the lost" both of which i am extremely into

hellions? Or He-Lions?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

But.. the word Hellions has two L's...

*reads website*
Oh. It's supposed to be helio-n, like Helios, the sun. Because literally every race is divided into Sun and Moon clans for some reason.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

There's also a free one for finishing ARR so maybe that is part of it?
If I got one for completing the ultimate weapon it doesn't look like my character has it anymore. And I beat the MSQ during my first free month so I didn't subscribe back in the day.
Ha Ha!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

Sure, why not.

#1: Tiny Bayonetta

*Kazoo version of Mysterious Destiny plays*

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Argas posted:

But also just aesthetically. FF12 Viera feels like someone bumped the erotic meter up. I'm sure you can make a cute and comfy looking Viera but it's hard to imagine.

Also their feet make me uncomfortable for some reason. Like it's someone's fetish but I can't understand why.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

WoL is such a nonentity I don't think it worked.

I'm playing through Stormblood and for the first time I'm actually really mad about how little characterization they allow me. Ninja lady wants to go fight Xenos all by her lonesome? That's a bad idea. I'm sent to go talk her out of it but my only two options are "Hell yeah" and "HELL YEAH!" followed by another 10 minute session of "oh wow look how badass Xenos is you can't hurt him (jerk off motion)" and everyone gets their turn in berating me for being rash.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Adus posted:

i guess there's no good solution to this and what they've got going is about the best that can be done, but it would be pretty cool to have an FF game where sure the protagonist is like other FF protagonists with a set character with dialogue and such but you got to create their appearance and class.
This is basically mass effect. But as far as MMO's go, The Old Republic was probably the best in that regard. As everyone is voiced and your minor decisions matter. And there's 8 different storylines.... up until you reach the endgame and everyone gets funneled into a single storyline and it's really clear there's only one story they want to tell and most of your decisions just get to dictate who gets to live to see it and who you get to gently caress.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Do you need to purchase the mount during the event?
If so I desperately need mgp.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So the only thing you can get from the FFXV FATE are currency for orchestrion rolls? Am I understanding this right?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Every whm has their cleric panties phase thanks to this.

The caster armor from the underwater palace dungeon can be charitably described as "Stripper ninja".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The animation on Fire 4 is fantastic. Gigantic ball of fire that sends a concentrated beam of fire down into the enemy causing flames to lick across the ground. :kiss:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Source your quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Speaking of, I really wish they'd have just left urianger in his post heavensward outfit rather than immediately having him revert to his aging 1.0 gear. He looked unique, particularly since all the other scions got makeovers.

I also have no idea how he hides that giant hairdo in that hood.