Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Looking forward to this thread in couple of weeks once majority are done crying about not getting to queue for trial roulette on their BLU, and we can instead speculate into the one most important question for the expansion;

"Will Dancer be one of the new jobs and will it be a kickass melee based healer?"
Speculating on the fact that MP and TP now are merged, SE could finally take a more unique twist on the healer role which could be real awesome if done right.
Hell I'd be getting straight on to maining healer from there on out if it came true, who could resist kicking baddies in the face with fancy dancin moves and then striking sick poses to heal your allies.
Their LB3 could be lifted straight out of a Lord of the dance finale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

There will never be a melee healer. Stop asking for it.

Please elaborate as the reason why it wouldn't be possible then. We already had healers min max dps by auto attack meleeing between casting stone and regens back in ARR raids. Can just tune their DPS to be equal to the other three healers.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Literally all the fights that require healers to stay at a distance from the boss and from other party members.

Even if they went back and removed those mechanics, do you think raids are going to want a healer that can't be mobile or a healer that can be mobile? If the melee healer is doing the same dps as the other healers, why would you take a healer that has to stack on the boss?

So then, when it comes to dps it will naturally be imbalanced. If the boss involves a lot of movement, the melee healer will have their DPS plummet. So if you increase the DPS to compensate, the healer will be disproportionately better than the other healers for fights where the boss doesn't move.

Two things in this game that won't happen: Melee healers and ranged tanks. Stop asking.

Who says they have to be in melee the whole time? And what says SE can't find a way to make it work into the game and at least feel like something different then a standard healer.
But you seem to have some real hardon for hating anything that goes outside the norm of trinity MMOs, I'm sure glad you aren't on SEs dev team(or maybe you are and that's why we got eureka?) :O

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Then what makes them a melee healer?
Like, I agree that a healer with RDM's 'lunge in, do a bunch of damage while looking cool, backflip out' would be neat.
But that's only like, 40% of RDM and doesn't make them a melee caster.

Fine then make them like how RDM is a caster with melee flavor but as a healer. Problem solved.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I too have recently made a tank glam.

Which greatsword is that? I don't recognize it at all, or maybe just not while sheathed.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

edit2: It's also a lot more convenient than Coils was, since as a healer it only takes 5-10 minutes in duty finder each time (as opposed to waiting for something to pop up in party finder)

Yeah alexander is in the raid roulette, while coil isn't. Very likely due to the reason that there is no story/savage version of Coil and so the synced down pubbies would have issues getting trough most of it, meanwhile storymode Alex should be a walk in the park just as you stated, since its tuned to be much lower challenge in the first place.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I don't like either Fordola or Yotsuyu as characters, both the redemption and amnesia arcs respectively just felt forced to me.
As for Fordola she just feels very predictable and boring and I keep hoping she'd be killed off by sacrificing herself for a true redemption moment or something, I find her about as interesting as Lyse, which is not at all.

Personally rooting for Alisae and Arenvald to be our main adventurer buddies for shadowbrigners.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
If I ever see a RDM unironically cast Vercure in a regular duty, they lose any chance they had at getting a comm from me.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Good thing every heal I cast is ironic, especially when I'm playing healer.

Those are the only heals you should ever cast as a healer. After all its GCD that could have been better spent on stone/broil/malefic.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Screw ya'll who deliberately lower your ilvl in roulettes to get the lowest possible ones. You're the reason I no longer do most of them, if it hits LotA, Sycrus etc I just insta leave and take the 30min penalty, I've ran them at least 40 times each over the years, gently caress those places forever.

And with EXDR being a sad piece of garbage for 50% of it (go to hell poop dungeon, you are boring and suck), there is no roulettes that I feel like doing anymore. :negative:

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
When min maxing efficiency of poetics/hour is more important then running something that could be potentially fun, challenging or at least offer some variation.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

Circus Tower gives you the chance to get Amon's Hat and is the best raid in the game for that reason alone

Retainers have chance bring back gear from those raids, including the hat.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

orcane posted:

This seems to surprise you, but yeah, that's why a lot of people utilizing the roulette with the XP and poetics bonus run the places, to get XP and poetics. Using the slower option for that doesn't automatically mean "more exciting/worth running" because, get this: Fun, challenge and even variation can mean different things and have different value to different people.

Blowing through an instance very fast can be more fun than getting a slow "challenging" raid, especially if the player isn't actually challenged, but a large enough number of their 23 team mates are. Wipes and gently caress-ups can be fun but they can also be annoying and pointless and very repetitive, especially if you keep seeing them.

Oh no I'm not surprised at all, I remember also dropping the dungeon roulettes in HW when all people ran was research facility non stop for poetics so that's all you ever ended up being queued into.
I don't know how the team RNG is nowadays(I don't run roulettes anymore) but I rarely remember having the other 24man raids take 5-10 min more then the lv50 ones, and that leads into my second biggest gripe,;level 50 sync just sucks soo hard for near all classes(not that its that much better at 60 cap for majority either but its not nearly as bad).
Also its not like LoTA doesn't times where atomos takes 10min for people to figure out and same goes for last boss wiping everyone cause no one gets on pads, so often enough they take the same amount of time to run as any of the others.

I just hate the mindset to deliberately lower your ilevel to avoid any higher or difficult content, its a flaw in the system that is being exploited, and for the players who wants actual variety in their queues it ruins the content for them cause sperglords needs to min max poetics gains.
It also slows down the queues for people who actually needs certain trials or raids etc to progress their main and side stories, I feel its something SE needs to have a look at and maybe increase rewards for the higher level content to make it worthwhile for the ones who only care about efficiency.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Delete MCH and replace it with puppetmaster.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Literally my only complaint (though it's a big one) is that leaving and reentering the instance makes you do door again. If they fix that they can keep the transitions

Once you get used to it, the gate fight should be one shot near every time you enter and act as a warm up for the raid session. Its only bad early on when you are still learning and making lots of mistakes, just like with any other fight.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Imagined posted:

This is where I disagree. All they'd have to do is give me the experience of leveling a second job to 70... from the beginning, with my first job. I understand, like you said, that cutscenes are their brand since the PS1 days, but it's an odd fit for an MMO. FFXI didn't have much story at all, did it? (I never played it)

FFXI actually has A Lot of story, its the only reason to ever recommend it for anyone to try play it in later years, unless they have broken brains and enjoy old school MMO gameplay. Not as much unlocks are tied behind the mainstory as it is in FFXIV but it still exists content locked behind story progress in XI.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Still hoping for Ronso as playable race, or least to be the replacement for male viera, and if that fails then gently caress it chuck em in as a beast tribe or something.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Cross class glamour, while neat on paper, would be confusing in alliance raids.

How would it be more confusing than say people wearing pig/chocobo/vanu costumes and the like? There also exists plate and mail looking gear that all classes can equip.
And even if say a Black mage wore full DRK AF, you'd still visually detect that it was a BLM by its weapon and the casting animations rather then what its wearing, it's not any different from telling the class of someone in bikini glam.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

bear is driving! posted:

Is PotD still the fastest way to level jobs? I'm trying to get from 40-50 so I can get Machinist.

Outside of roulettes, PVP frontlines/RW may be faster level 40 and up.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Beast tribe dailies in HW combined with the clan hunt logs is roughly a level per day as well and can be done while queuing for roulettes , same goes for the SB equivalents.
Sadly ARR beast tribes is poor exp and the ARR daily hunts are completely useless.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Sidenote: You can cheese the ADR queue to give you the easier 50 dungeons by unequipping a bunch of your gear so you have an average ilvl that falls below the reqs of the HW alliance raids. You can re-equip the gear after queuing.)

Only do this if you dislike fun and wants anyone who ends up in same ADR que as you to be bored out of their minds running LotA for the millionth time(which often isn't any faster due to trolling/afking/stupidity). Its a real dumb exploit.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Bruteman posted:

Overall I have to say group stuff (guildhests, dungeons) has been disorientating so far because I haven't played any of the other classes outside of conjurer yet and I don't know what the hell any of them are doing. Fights feel really chaotic. Is there a way to turn on stuff that shows what skills people are using on-screen, or is this something that you can only get in third-party extensions?

You can toggle on/off or minimize effects from other party members and players in the in game config, the game has a a lot of customization options overall.
I'm not at my gaming pc atm, but I believe the option for toggling effects is under one of the tabs in "Character configuration".

edit; nvm just realised I misread that you wanted to see the name of what skills and abilities people use on screen, and that I'm not sure you can do, there is the combat log window you can set up for looking at that I suppose.
Other then that you'd have to set up ACT (advanced combat tracker) a 3rd party parsing tool which can display all kinds of combat info and has parsing overlay options etc.

Choyi fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 1, 2019

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

vandalism posted:

Palace of the dead to grind all jobs to 50 seems like a pretty rough way to level. There are all the side quests or whatever but uhh... meh.

Frontlines PVP also is a decent way to get exp about same rate as potd, if you want some variety and don't hate PVP that is.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Emalde posted:

It probably doesn't help that FF14 has the worst market board implementation in all of video games. A 2000s era KMMO wherein the market was dictated by literal stalls in town would present less insane economic trends than FF14 does.

While I agree its not great, its far faaar away from the worst, oh boy the poo poo I've seen. And at least FFXIV's market board is fully useable without 3rd party addons.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Well hype for shadowbringers instantly killed, dancer is another ranged DPS? What the gently caress SE? Worse decision then diadem and pagos combined.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
At least Ronso made it in afterall it seems.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
remove new races and give me a new healer

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Eh, may as well have made dancer a caster at this point, its attack animations looks kinda dull compared to both MCH and BRD.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Get ready for that 1h+ leveling que as DPS/tank while you wait for that heal slot to fill up.

Hopefully the battle system maintenance has some big reveals, but at this stage I've got severe doubts.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Looking forward to yet another mobile ranged dps class who pubbie players will stand max distance from boss, well outside of AoE healing range, and somehow still fail at all movement based boss mechanics. Ranged physical dps already seem to attract some of the worst players, and now a lot of the ERP people surely will be maining one too.

Time to wait for the 2021 fanfest for when they reveal the copy paste of WHM once again, slap a Geomancer label on it, give it "Geo/Indi" party buff and then call it a day.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
If you'd be doing a bit of Eureka every week capping genesis wouldn't been a problem at all :smuggo:

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

The fact that I'd rather level a character by doing MSQDR & ADR for like the 100th time says a lot about Eureka.

I'd rather not play the game at all then step my foot into MSQDR even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
RIP healers, and with that possibly the end of what used to be a fairly healthy end game scene, it was fun while it lasted, can't help but feel expansion looking worse for every bit of info released.