Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Flavahbeast posted:

EVE isn't a post 2005 mmo tho

It's still active today though, and has been changed in many important ways from how it originally worked.

Lemon King posted:

I like to think I won.

Touché

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah level a dps and you'll be running around in subligar at least twice which is basically bdsm gear.

lol no it isn't.

Says a guy who ran a squad for years whose primary focus was hot drops and cloaky gatecamps, the exact nonconsensual pvp environment the original post was replying to.

I wish I hadn't burned out, I was having fun with BlackOps before I left

kojei posted:

/ac Shirk <2>

<3

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

:wtc:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Erg posted:

lmao if the guy who quotes 7 people any time he wants to say something is freaking out over a one page description of DRG rotations at 70

the alternatives are i spend 2 gcds trying to target someone with it and then switch back to my actual rotation because i am a Bad, or i don't use it at all

I read the thread several pages at a time and let my posts age like a fine wine before sharing them with others

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I prefer Barolo

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

please knock Mom! posted:

Undercutting by a lot is just cutting your own profits but it's a thing that happens and you should just be aware of. Don't put all your eggs in one basket

A lot of the problems with the current market would be solved by letting people post a buy side order (or a bid). It would mean people looking to dump would have something to unload to, and it would make for a tidier market with less ping pong spins

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Just downloaded the game on PS4 and I have no clue how to even get started. I made a SE account on their site, but have no clue how to link it with my PS4. Google has been useless.

You open the game on your PS4, it will walk you through it

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

FortMan posted:

Denmo did it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlgxj1qDn6I

Warning: spoilers, flashing things.

Eh, I didn't like that as much as some of their old ones

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

I mean, the completely safe but unsatisfying answer is that you're such a small percent of your team's damage, and then grit is a small percent of that, and then the amount of time you would be able to drop it is a small percent of the total time, so all compounded the answer is 'no one would ever notice the benefits of you dropping it, but if you do it wrong and lose aggro/die/wipe then holy poo poo are they going to notice that and also you lost more time than you would've ever saved'

Edit: And I guess you'd have to figure out if the healer is now doing less dps because they're babysitting you more.

The best healer's dps is enough lower than even a tank that this trade-off isn't really a thing

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

There is at least one thing that is important for gear that you can't buy with tomestones and that's grade VI materia. The current system of only really being able to get it via hunts isn't great but it's not from tomestones.

That or being a tank

:smuggo:

Reiterpallasch posted:

what? this is factually wrong

Ok, I should perhaps have qualified "in the groups I've run in the healer is never anywhere near tank dps"

Perhaps peak healer dps is higher than this, but I haven't seen it and can't access flogs from my phone easily to confirm this one way or the other.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Umbreon posted:

Man, everytime I hear about a function not being able to change in a game that's been out for years, it's always because "X hardcoded Y and everything references it". It almost feels like no game dev should be hardcoding anything with how much games can change.

No dev of anything should hardcode anything because it's bad no matter what the application is

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Whatup WAR buffs

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/337124

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

honestly, removing the stance change penalty addresses like eighty percent of the issues i have with warrior feeling clunky. i won't mind a few potency increases, either (or shake it off being changed), but i think the fact like half of our job abilities can only be used in one stance or another made it feel really lovely to not stance dance but the actual stance dancing was also punished super hard. i'm pretty pleased.

:same:

It's a big buff to dps particularly when you're mt because you can charge in defiance, swap, 6x cleave and then swap back in time to eat the next bit hit or w/e

SKULL.GIF posted:

It concerns me that they say they want to make some jobs easier because they're too reliant on player skill. I really didn't enjoy RDM because of how simple it was, not excited to see other jobs move towards that.

What they said is that they were going to reduce he skill gap, not remove the need for skill for certain jobs

So I read that as making the peak damage for high skilled players vs low skilled ones less

This may be why there are the rotation issues with BLM (that they're now walking back from a bit with reduction to recast of F4) because a good versus bad BLM was really obvious in HW

a kitten posted:

Is this good? Have any resident number crunchers had a look at how it might play out yet?

I was kind of thinking/hoping they'd just up the potency of Fire IV, but i'm the first to admit that i don't know how to math this stuff out.

Triplecast means you can now do 3*f4 in GCD*3 rather than 3*2.8 (formerly 3*3) every 60s instead of every 90s

So, it's probably a couple percent over a whole cycle, but it's enough to make the SB rotation clearly better than the 2.0 rotation, I think

Countblanc posted:

It does, just like how you can't melt str left side

The way I read it is that tank stuff will get some strength, not capped strength. I would bet they add just enough that the ilvl difference invalidates the old stuff and there's still room for a str VI meld

If not they better refund me all the str vi I just melded :v:

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i can't wait for the cap to be way worse than 270 gear so nothing changes

I would be surprised if they didn't make savage hit hard enough that you need the vit to survive

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You totally don't but that won't stop learning parties from having a 310 min ilvl in pf. I think I did my clears with a verity weapon and maybe chest/legs as well.

But he does so much damageee!!!!!!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

While welcome, the black mage changes don't seem to fix the thing where an umbral cycle consisting purely of thunder and foul is superior to an umbral cycle consisting of thunder, foul, and blizzard 4. Which is okay, because playing to minimize B4 casts actually feels pretty good, but I can't imagine it's what they intend.

I haven't been playing my BLM much is SB but why doesn't getting a longer astral phase by getting hearts benefit?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Umbral Hearts give you two more F4s, which are good. However, they come at the cost of casting B4, which is bad. Basically, when you compare this, and here I am using italics for crappy spells (spells cast in UI, spells cast to transition) and bold for good ones (fire spells cast in AF):

F4, F4, F1, F4, F4, B3, T3, Foul, F3
Math: 2196 fire + 168 + 390 + 650 + 168 = 3572 potency, 23.7 seconds ---> 150.7 potency per second

to this:

F4, F4, F4, F1, F4, F4, F4, B3, T3, B4, Foul, F3
Math: 3132 fire + 168 + 390 + 650 + 260 + 168 = 4718 potency, 32.3 seconds ---> 146.07 potency per second

You find that you go from a 6:3 powerful/mediocre ratio to an 8:3 powerful/mediocre ratio. The numbers also bear this out, with the top series of spells eking out a mildly superior potency/second to the bottom even when you take the 2.8 second F4/B4 cast time into account; it's like 152 for the short one versus 148 for the long one. Sources: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/246796-Black-Mage-Sanctuary-A-Guide-to-DPS/page267 and http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/335645-Some-interesting-numbers-on-4.0-BLM , although I guess we can work it out for ourselves here if we don't trust 'em.

Now, Foul is what makes this work. The core idea here is that you have to spend two GCDs in Umbral Ice no matter what, and one of them is almost certainly going to be Thunder, so what should the other be? Well, if you're level 69 or below, it's got to be Blizzard 4; that's your best filler spell hands-down. But Foul isn't even a filler spell - it's your best spell straight up. So if you reduce your UI cycle from two good filler spells to one filler spell and one insane unbeatable haymaker you've made a dramatic gain. One thing that occurs to me is that if, somehow, you enter UI to find that your target already has a lot of Thunder time on them (maybe you threw a thundercloud proc right before or after your F1 or something, IDK, although I don't see why you wouldn't save that proc for UI) then it might literally be worth it to have a UI cycle consisting of Blizzard 4 and Foul.

This doesn't make B4 useless, because the 3.X-esque rotation is actually shorter than 30 seconds, which means you need to occasionally use Blizzard 4 just to stockpile Foul charge time and ensure you've always got a Foul lined up for when your orbs turn blue. Specifically, I think it's best to use B4 in your opener to do the 8xF4 thing everyone does, and then to use B4 about every 90 seconds, when Triplecast and Leylines are about to come off cooldown.

If they wanted to make it so that B4 is always worth using, they need to buff umbral hearts themselves. My idea is that they should give you ALL the upsides of being in UI 3, including halving the cast time of fire spells as well as halving their AF costs. Umbral Hearts should ALSO double the potency of Fire 2 or something in order to make it worth using ever, though.

So with triplecast now every 60s doesn't that increase your propensity to use B4?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

With a 2.8s cast time on your punchiest magic, each time you use triplecast you're basically buying yourself 0.9 seconds total. However, if you subtract 0.9 from each of those times and divide, you still see the short rotation put out more PPS than the long rotation. It's not really that triplecast makes the long rotation break ahead, it's just that it's a useful benchmark to use as a timer - every so often you need the longer, slightly weaker B4 rotation just to give Foul time to charge back up. I think the effect of 60s triplecast is largely that you use leylines as your new B4 stopwatch.

Since each firestarter and thundercloud proc you get buys you more time on the Foul clock, it's not a sure thing that you'll HAVE To B4 every 90s; I've had Susano fights where I literally had to cast B4 right as triplecast refreshed because Foul was still a second away from being ready, and I've had Susano fights where I probably could've gone an extra cycle without B4ing because I'd gotten so many procs and/or I'd had to run around and delay my rotation so frequently.

I'd like if they made foul an ogcd so it wasn't an either or for it and b4; even if they had to take the potency down a bit for that not to be a huge buff

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

So if you think about it, on single targets, Blizzard 4 is a spell with an 8.6s cast time that deals 1196 potency worth of damage. That's 142.4 potency per second (F4 on its own is 167.1 pps, if you're wondering).

Thunder 3 has a 2.5s cast time, deals 70 upfront, and deals 320 more over 24 seconds. On a fresh target it's 156 potency per second.

That means that if Thundercloud procs didn't exist, it would technically be worthwhile to have an umbral cycle consisting only of Blizzard 4 and Foul as long as your target has like... a single tick of Thunder left on them. Since in that case a straight cast of Thunder is only going to be worth ~140 pps. I have to think about how to take thundercloud procs into account here.

How do you figure b4 is 8.6s

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Miasma II was a melee range AoE that dealt 20 damage and put a 10 potency dot on for 15s. Replacing Miasma I with Miasma II would be a dramatic damage decrease.

It's not replacing, it's added as a job specific action, so unless I've completely misread you would have both miasma 1 and 2, with the latter as your aoe damage.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

having looked at the EX primal guides since I'm getting close to 70 susano seems fun while lakshimi seems like a bunch of bullshit memorization

You don't need to memorize anything for Lakshmi aside from "is she purple?" and if yes then pop a Vril

cheetah7071 posted:

oGCDs are good because they increase my button presses per second, a very fun stat to have high

I prefer to have time to make a spot of tea between actions

Minrad posted:

yeah it's pretty complex

This is a good diagram of a complicated mechanic

Emalde posted:

Can't wait to see the Catastrophe version of this

Catastrophe is already more difficult mechanically than Lakshmi EX

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

FisheyStix posted:

There is no way that's a real smiley

You need to :gitgud: on your smiley game son

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

If they ever add the Admiral in as a boss fight a la Hullbreaker Hard I hope her AoEs also require knowledge of nautical terminology to evade.

Harden the sheets and tack to larboard!

Boom swing is a cone aoe

Everyone dies because nobody knows you need to push a rudder handle away from the direction of turn

Cythereal posted:

Senna Extreme is just her spamming Holy nonstop.

She'd summon Cthulu-tree

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Jinh posted:

They already said they're gonna nerf holy spirit a bit (I heard conflicting reports of a potency reduction and a cast time increase) and some fairly beefy warrior buffs.

The devs actually have a decent track record of listening to feedback and bringing underperforming jobs up instead of nerfing all the good jobs. I'm excited to see what they do, I was avoiding leveling DRK because it sounded like they had several skills that were undertuned as to be never used.

As a war I wish I had something like hallowed ground to just ignore a buster, including the debuff you're supposed to get from it that would otherwise force a tank swap

And don't tell me holmgang is the same thing because I sit at 1hp and hope the healers can get me back up before the next auto attack grinds me into paste, and also still get he debuff

Rainuwastaken posted:

Cool, so all I have to do is make sure to always DA C&S and make sure I don't waste any mana regen? That's what I've been doing so I'm glad to hear it.

Now I just need to get more comfortable dropping grit on the current EX Primals. Those tankbusters are kinda spooky and Grit being on the GCD is a travesty.

You can do it brother! I can survive the entire second phase of susan in deliverance with the right cooldowns and a non-poo poo tank buddy who provokes at the right time and knows what shirk does

When that isn't the case I just pop to defiance for stormsplitter and then switch back

Minrad posted:

i'm betting hard it'll be upgrades to the antiquated 290 job gear

With how easy verity was to get my 290 job gear got worn for maaaybe a day :smith:

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's upsetting the number of pubbie tanks in extreme parties who tell me that using Shirk is too complicated.

I'm a certified Bad Tank and one of the first things I did was set up a macro to shirk to the offtank without even needing to target them

Vargatron posted:

With the increase to potency, Storm's Path is no going to be the ideal finisher for WAR DPS correct? It's only 10 potency behind Butcher's Block but increases beast gauge by 20 instead of 10.

P sure this was the case before too as it gets you to cleaving 3 gcds faster. Now it's just even more betterer

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I thought most / all of the "don't move" attacks by bosses ignored autoattacks now. I've never paused my auto attacks on Susan for example and don't get hit by the timer.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Even though I'll almost certainly never see most of Savage anything for myself it is somehow heartening to hear this :shobon:

I just want to say that your dps is Real Good after the omega run tonight and Naheo and I thought you might be a good spare for our static if you're interested

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Appreciate it! I mostly don't have the time to put in though, what with variable work schedules. Whaddaya gonna do.

That's why we thought spare might work!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

SL the Pyro posted:

Have we learned enough about the new stats to decide on builds? I'm trying to decide between three different raid setups for my WAR and need some second opinions.

Top = Det-heavy build because that stat was improved and DPS seem to value it over Crit.
Middle = Crit-heavy build in case the above is false.
Bottom = Jack-of-all-trades build that gives Ten a chance because apparently a lot of the Day 1 savage clearers melded a fuckton, but I'm not quite jumping on the bandwagon. (note that the numbers were altered after the pic was taken, it's 1055 SkS and clipped off some Ten)

And before anyone asks: the SkS is necessary. 1050+ is needed to do the new 7 cleave rotation. Theoretically it should be 1025, but that relies wholly on latency not having woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

If you are doing savage you may want the tenacity, otherwise direct hit gives you more damage than crit for any current stat levels a tank might have

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

ilifinicus posted:

ice floors is never a good time, gently caress that poo poo

Oh it's ice floor, ok we go out, oh no someone else might be a bit close I'll just adjufuckyouuuuu

Wham

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

if yakety sax wasnt playing in your head the whole time you were fighting it, i don't know what to say to you

In my head? I broadcast it to the group

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I would assume omega would draw from mainline games it's actually appeared in so that's FFV, FFXI and FFXII (not including the FFI remake and FFIV: TAY)

FFXI content would be interesting, and FFXII would go hand in hand with Return to Ivalice and this having this expansion's legion be the XIIth.

Also appears in the Advance remake of VI, VII:DoC, X, X-2, Dimensions, and some of the mobile games. There's also an (afaik) un-named Weapon in XV

P sure they could handwave away the difference between Omega and Omega Weapon appearance.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Is it still necessary to level all the crafts to be good at one of them? I kind of want to just bang out alc with all the leves I've got so I can make raid pots on the cheap

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

So they didn't fully do away with cross classing in crafting like they did in combat, that's too bad.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wouldn't mind some more light-hearted trials to pop up in roulette, and yojimbo seems like a Greg-caliber bro, I hope this happens

I'm sure we'll see him again, he's way too interesting to appear once as a dungeon boss and then never ever again.

Maybe he will be super savage :unsmigghh:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Oh for sure, and I'm not trying to defend the ridiculous post either :v: I just think it's weird how incredibly hostile people get when someone wishes an MMO was more solo friendly. Just because it's A MULTIPLAYER GAME ARGH doesn't mean it can't be fun to play solo, so why treat it as such an alien idea? It's not like the game would be ruined for everyone else if weirdos could play it alone.

Close chat and imagine that your partners in dungeons are just really poorly written AI

Your Computer posted:

:same:

Obviously I don't know about the endgame, but the road to 50 has been pretty painless as far as grouping goes. Well, other than the consecutive 8-man dungeon queues in the main story where the queue takes ages. Those things are pretty annoying :v:

e: unrelated, as a Red Mage is the basic idea to cast spells until you build up enough mana to do the entire melee combo supercharged and then rinse and repeat? When you're doing dungeons, quests, etc. do you mostly just stick to spells and only melee when your mana is full too or do you weave in some melee?

Also what's the deal with the verprefix on every verspell, I vercan't figure out what it's supposed to vermean.

They had the such success with the prefixes in the WoFF that they the decided to the import them to the every other the game

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

for the record, their response to advice was pretty hostile and something along the lines of "you try playing with a controller with a toddler on your lap," but honest to god, we tried

e: i've actually had really good response to advice from literal sprouts in the <20 dungeons, idk

A controller is the easiest way to play with a kid on your lap, wth are they talking about

Toshimo posted:

Try this and report back.

This is the life I live, every day

Clearly the noted bad gamer is a bad parent in addition to being a bad gamer

Ouhei posted:

I've gotten pretty used to ground targeting with a controller, but yeah chatting mid battle kinda sucks. One of the reasons I switched to PC was so that it was a matter of dropping the controller onto the desk in front of me, rather than on a couch where I then had to grab the keyboard since I played on a couch when I was on PS4.

I just leave the kb on my lap

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

I suck rear end at gpose in general but met this glorious dude named Bowie Stardust in trial roulette

That's great. I made Freddie Mercury in EVE a while back

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Leal posted:

This is something I never got. Like at all. It is so widespread that there has to be some sort of "logic" behind why so many tanks do it but I can't think of it. Killed the first trash group? Stand still for 10 seconds. Walk into the boss room? Stand still for 10 seconds. Killed the boss? Stand still for 10 seconds. There is always this dramatic pause.

Here is my theory

Just like other humans, they may need to fart or drink water sometimes and unlike say a dps or healer everyone notices when they do

Or maybe they need to charge their jo crystal before each boss

you'll never know which one

RoboJoe posted:

Apologies for the delay in response!

Great, thanks, that gives me an idea of what to aim to do on my Red Mage. I have unlocked Kugane Castle and Temple of the Fist so I've got access to the Expert Daily Roulette now, so I'll keep doing those to gear up my Red Mage to try to do those Primals or the raid (or maybe just focus on my Paladin and level him up until I need to do those things).

I do use my cooldowns as much as possible to lessen any burden on the healer (and so they can DPS more) by rotating through them all while I'm fighting groups of enemies (and also on the bosses), they're basically never not inactive so I wasn't sure if I was wasting them doing it like it.

I guess I should try pulling more packs together, but often I'm doing a dungeon I've only done once or twice so I'm not sure where more packs are or how hard they can hit so I'd rather play it safe. The next time I'm in a dungeon I'm more familiar with I shall try to gather more things together.

Also at the start of dungeons I always say that I'm Inexperienced with the auto-translate so people know I might not be so good.

I usually stop at the entrance to a boss room to make sure everyone is going towards the barrier or inside it (or not watching the cutscene for a final boss), or I'll stop moving if I don't see players dots on the minimap moving at all, but otherwise I try to keep a steady pass and keep going to pick up a new pack when the current one is dead.

I'm not sure about the moving around thing when I have a pack though, I'll try to stand as still as possibleso it's easier for the DPS to attack them, unless I need to move out of an AOE although sometimes there are so many I have to move a lot and I'm not sure if that's right.

As a tank should I be trying to get out of all the AOEs and cone AOEs or is it ever okay to stay in them? Not from a laziness point of view, but more should I make sure I have a cooldown up and not move so the DPS don't get interrupted doing what they're doing?

One last question after all this: do people ever want to do dungeons at all after doing the daily roulettes? I wonder if asking in my FC (I'm in PCD) to see if anyone wants to tag along and do a bunch of dungeon runs with me tanking is a good idea and would help me and others?

I feel so stupid about worrying so much in a videogame like this when I'm about to hit that queue button in case I mess up a dungeon and make everyone wipe and they all get mad.

The key thing to remember is

A) most people won't get mad and
B) if they do, gently caress'em, they can go sit through another 30 minute queue about it

brokenknee posted:

DISCLAIMER: This was my experience in Heavensward and all of the content up to 70 in Stormblood.

This level of micromanagement will only lead to you frothing at the mouth about how you absolutely hate being a tank.

The basic idea is that once you've either spammed your OP until empty or you've smacked that boss in the face with Butcher's Block, you're free to do whatever the hell you want to in the name of M A X D E E P S. I do feel there is -some- merit to the idea of "you are about to lose the lead" notices because honestly when I'm on the boss fights I'm not in tank stance most of the goddamn time, and I'm looking at when I can drop my next M A X D E E P move.

Or perhaps I just need to :gitgud: it's entirely possible

Unless the healer is Real Bad I can tank every boss in SB in Deliverance now (i318). This was a bit dicey at 290-300. That reminds me, I need to suck it up and buy crafted 320 legs because they're better than the omega legs

Colgate posted:

Should I queue for Sunken Temple of Qarn and Cutter's Cry? I was wondering, since they're optional, they wouldn't get much play in the leveling roulette, especially since Qarn looks REALLY punishing for new players from the video I watched.

Qarn has some unusual instant death mechanics for that level but is otherwise easy. I just hit it in levelling roulette the other day so don't assume people don't do it.

nuru posted:

1) Keybinds are going to be person specific but I think unless you have mutant hands putting anything on 6 through 0 is madness. Your combo can fit 1-6 (or ` through 5, whatever) and the rest just place based on how often you need to hit them.
2) Step 1 honestly is not to use macros for battle classes. Shirk is not too bad though, assuming you're the OT:

/micon "Shirk"
/macrolock
/merror off
/ac "Shirk" <tt>
/ac "Shirk" <t>
/merror on

This will use Shirk on the mob's target.

Alternatively just make sure you party list is set up to automatically sort tanks then healers then dps and you can do much more simple:

/micon Shirk
/ac Shirk <2>

Elentor posted:

I don't have a huge knowledge of every class in this game but at least from the ones I've played up to max content level (Black Mage in the beta, Dragoon, Scholar, Summoner and now I'm leveling Samurai) the class mechanics seem way more convoluted than they had to be and most of the individual buttons themselves are not very fun even if the skills are technically well animated. I think this goes from the theme of the skill to the actual class design - In WoW everything is designed to make you feel powerful. When you hit something you listen to the sound of smashing melons because that one skill is designed to be your ultimate power breaking the enemy apart. When you hit something with a blade in FFXIV you listen to a metallic clank as if the hit had been deflected. It's not even the satisfying clank of mining.

As for the class design, they suffer a serious case of not understanding that less is more. Sometimes when you add more tools you end up making the solution clearer instead of harder. Crafting in HW is a good example - once the rotation was figured out, crafting using specialist tools was a joke, which was compounded by the fact that they were made unnecessary in the first place relatively early. But the rotation itself was very straightforward and the fact you had 10 or so extra buttons did not increase the complexity tree at all because some of their conditionals were overwhelmingly obvious. Again, I can't speak for how would I perceive every job because I haven't played all of them, but none of the rotations I've seen are particularly hard and they don't feel very class-defining to me, they're just very crowded.

Take combo actions for example - combo actions are a single action split across several buttons for no real reason other than crowding your action bar (thankfully that seems to be going away in PVP so hopefully they'll bridge the change to PVE), so they're really something that will never empower the player - you have your real average action damage spread across multiple buttons, they're slow gameplay that will still punish you for latency or being slow because of the fact they're multiple actions even if it's really 7-8 seconds for a single action, and they will punish you for stopping it halfway. That might be adding some risk/reward but ultimately you're really interrupting the player from completing what was already a decision made seconds ago and you could have achieved the same with the player having to decide whether or not he wants to insert other actions instead of running away.

So all of these negatives can result in a single skill being spread across multiple levels instead of giving you actual interesting stuff to use and I think this really dilutes how powerful and coherent the class feels. I don't think the order is great either, a bunch of gameplay-defining stuff only comes very later on. And the worst decision that is tangentially related to the amount of buttons is the fact that to some classes like DRG/SAM most actions are really just your mechanical rotation and it's boring as hell. Even the utility you get feels underwhelming compared to the stuff a Rogue gets in WoW. And this is how everything ties up with the skill creep not being used to make you feel powerful, the payout for knowing what every single one of your button does is "congratulations you can now deal the base DPS we've spreadsheeted for you." And you don't really need that many buttons to achieve that, in the end I still think I have a more interesting decision tree with just shred+rake+rip+savage roar than the three SAM sen-generating combos + Iaijutsu + everything else.

This post reminds me, how did that game you were making turn out?

cheetah7071 posted:

On a completely different note, I just did the Real Escape Trials of Bahamut puzzle today. Anybody in a city that it's heading to, I highly recommend it! Apparently my team set the record for fastest completion at 34 minutes

Stupid company that's running it won't bring it to Vancouver even though they sold out several weeks of the Zelda one

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Elentor posted:

I'm still working on it. Braid is a two-man job that took ~3 years to make and my FF7 LP took 4, so from the looks of it I'm gonna be working on my RPG for quite a while :v:. I have a website planned but having to make money for a living sucks so it can be tiresome working on two things at the same time. I decided to split the game in chapters to make it more realistic for me to release it. Right now the combat engine is done, the scenario engine is done, 90% of the game design and mechanics are coded in and the game is playable already with complete save/load functionality, the story outline is done, the script for the first chapter is 60% done, the interface is ~20% done, in-game artwork is 5% done and music is 20% done. Luiza from ocremix is helping taking some of the weight off my shoulders by writing/recording some of the music.

Here's a fairly recent concept art of one of the characters:

And something I think I never posted anywhere, the main theme that Luiza and I wrote.
https://soundcloud.com/silverbells-460274410/theme-of-kali/s-x8Brp

Neat, thanks for the update.

Shere posted:

I love tanking Susanoo on WAR because every attack of note that he has is physical so Raw Intuition works really well. I've seen more than one bad DRK get pancaked by his cleave because they don't know what mitigates what and they pop their magic cooldown.

I hate tanking Lakshmi and Deltascape for the opposite reason, a lot of things deal magic damage. It's not more difficult for anyone, but being in Defiance ever is a bummer, as good a cooldown as Inner Beast is. I can juggle Vengeance and Rampart usually but sometimes I fall back on Inner Beast/Defiance.

What I'm saying is, my end goal on Warrior is to spend as little time away from Fell Cleave as possible.

I have not found anything that Lakshmi does to be remotely threatening as a WAR, she doesn't really have any big hits that aren't mitigated almost entirely by Vril

Gearhead posted:

SMN is good, dumb fun to play. But after trying to play DDR with a keyboard as BLM back in 3.0 I was basically fed up. RDM seems to be like a good, happy medium, but they are EVERYWHERE right now.

(I too would not be against making it into something stance-based with Summons as DPS boosting cooldowns similar to Demi-Bahamut.)

Maybe have it so that you .. hrm. You select three different Primals you're going to use, and these change the elemental type of your spells, and each one fills up a gauge. When each is filled you Trance to summon a Demi-Primal for a brief period before it goes away. Then after you've filled up all three gauges you can Dreadwyrm Trance, which ends with a Demi-Bahamut charge or something. And then the cycle resumes.

Maybe tool it such that you can't have opposing elements on the wheel at the same time, such that Lightning/Ice, Water/Fire and Wind/Earth are mechanically similar but cosmetically different from one another.

EDIT: Though this is somewhat spoiled by not fighting Lightning OR Ice Primals until post-2.0. On the other hand, there's nothing SPECIAL about Summon III anyway.

4.0 BLM is way better, in case you want to get monster Crits again. I basically quit playing BLM even tho I'd mained it all through ARR because it was such a headache to get enochian right. Now it's good.

Captain Oblivious posted:

So what is the generally agreed upon tank substat priority these days? I don't mean in terms of melds, but in terms of the gear itself. What two stats should I be prioritizing for my slots? Crit/Tenacity? Crit/Det?

If you are doing progression / bleeding edge it's tenacity > direct hit > crit = det >>>> ss

If you are not needing to be ultra optimized then you can get away with more DH.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Crit isn't high enough this early in the patch for it to be worth stacking on non-bards (it's the only substat that scales superlinearly). Stacking Direct Hit and Tenacity are both defensible right now, depending on whether you think ~5% passive damage mitigation is worth a commensurate amount of DPS loss.

I didn't think it was commensurate loss of dps tho, in part because more tenacity means you can be in damage stance more. Simplest math I saw is tenacity is 1% mitigation and 1% dmg up for each 200 points vs direct hit is 1% dmg up for each 140 points. So if you max stack / meld tenacity you can peak at about 7.5% dmg and mit increase over ungeared, and if just dh you can get about 9.5% dmg up

So stacking DH gives you 2% more damage at the cost of about 7% mitigation, meaning you need to be in tank stance more often to survive cutting edge stuff, meaning ten is probably better

But for anything other than prob o3s and o4s you don't need the tenacity to live so dh is better

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there any real way to heal the other alliances on controller? I don't think there is but I learned how to cycle targets in enmity list order only a few weeks ago and I've been playing since 2.1 so it's very possible I missed something

You could use the touchpad mouse function to select them

Ciaphas posted:

This is literally true, and having been a healer for so long in your case might give you a leg up since you know better what kind of damage and healing inputs to expect from watching it happen

Just don't make the mistake I did and be a primadonna about being ~the tank~ early on, DPS are probably gonna pull off of you from level sync and generally run ahead while you're getting comfortable, and that's ok long as you're not doing what I did and Shirking on to them instead :v:

Shirking onto a dickhead who won't stop ripping stuff off you is one of the best parts of being a lowbie tank tho?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

ilifinicus posted:

can we get like a wall of fracture for the daily wall of kalenn istarion post nobody reads

At least one person has responded to each of my posts, I consider my job successful

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Left Coast Loot finally got our scheduling game sorted and killed A1S after a couple pulls.

Then we got owned by Catastrophe for 2 hours, but we done good all around

:feelsgood:

"You" is Ciaphas

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

please tell that tank under 2k dps they don't need to be in tank stance beyond the first 10 seconds of the fight to establish aggro.

Fister Roboto posted:

1400 dps means they're doing something very wrong. My first clear I did 2100, and that was with staying in shield oath the entire time and even dying once.

I can't speak to what they were doing as I didn't have my own act running but they were definitely in shield the whole fight while our healers were learning so we'll see what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Hahahaha