Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Brainamp posted:

Fffffuck was really hoping those preview numbers for monk would have changed more than a slightly higher chance on deep meditation.

They didn't need to change anything because monk looked good before. Even the proc chance was just the tooltip not being up to date, as far as I could tell.

Also, the difference between 30% and 50% is not slight in this or any other universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Brainamp posted:

a raid buff that pales compared to the other melee classes

Everything sounds bad if you just arbitrarily declare that it's worse without having any idea what the gently caress you're talking about.

Brotherhood isn't as good as Trick Attack, but it's at most a little bit worse than Battle Litany, depending on how much other jobs will value crit, and how much base crit damage dropped by. Either way, it's sure as poo poo better than absolute gently caress all, which is what Samurai has.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Usually you would use Hagakure before spending your sen on an iaijutsu. It's the same for AoE, but more so, since Tenka Goten has diminishing returns, and the impact of Guren (if it's up) is relatively higher.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Yeah. The main reason is that Iaijutsu are on the GCD, so you have to subtract the average damage of your other weaponskills when comparing with oGCDs.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I am required by law to post this image in every MMO release thread:

http://i.imgur.com/xLMAXhm.gifv

You're doing god's work.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It makes this doubly concerning that they do back-to-back instances though. You'd think this would have been caught in testing surely

There's nothing to catch. They intentionally reduced the number of players that can enter instances because of the load on the servers, which means they probably just underestimated how many people would be playing.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

I refuse to believe an mmo rebuilt from the bones of a previous one could be full of spaghetti code.

That's right. It's full of skeleton and ghost code.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Augus posted:

have you considered trying a damage-dealer class

He's just gonna say something like, "that's all of them."

Which is not exactly wrong.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

homeless snail posted:

If a boss jumps to do a big raid wide though, doesn't that tend to predominantly hit at either the beginning or end of the invulnerability? Doesn't seem like its actually buying you much time on GL unless SB bosses get a lot splashier 65+

Yeah, a lot of jumps just take way too long on one side of the hit. I think more commonly you'd use it for when you get targeted by some mechanic that makes you lose uptime.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Intoluene posted:

Oh, cool, both count. I'm still not sure where to find the progress on the cheevo, though. Looked everywhere for the achievement that gives it.

I spent like 10 minutes looking the other day because I was confused about this exact thing. The achievement you're looking for is "Furious Fatalities," about 10 from the bottom of the Battle > Battle category.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Shy posted:

whm? mine are protect, lucid dreaming, swiftcast, esuna and largesse.
for protect I remember somebody posted a macro that would temp switch it from a different ability out of combat so you could potentially sneak in another one

e: I'm curious about eye for an eye but with this cooldown it has to be the hail mary button, everything else seems useless? Except rescue which is pretty cool but probably pointless outside of coordinated groups

Largesse, Swiftcast, Lucid Dreaming and Eye for an Eye are the good ones. Protect you can usually swap in for one cast, maybe leave it on one healer in 8-mans. Esuna, Surecast, and Break are all sometimes relevant. Rescue is good if you can think of a specific use for it. Cleric Stance is fine if you don't need anything else.

I just leave everything on my bars and turn stuff on/off in the menu.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Speaking of, are there some actually good 70 NIN in this thread? I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't really really know when to use Ten Chi Jin vs Bhavacakra or how you're meant to fit all that poo poo into one Trick Attack window.

Using Ten Chi Jin during trick attack is generally not advisable, because it means you hard casted suiton. If you did, say, Raiton into TCJ, and use TA off of that suiton, it's 180 more potency, which is bigger than you'd get from fitting TCJ into the TA window anyway, and you clip GCDs less. But since the CDs are offset, you can't always use TCJ like that, it's just a nice bonus when it happens. Basically, just use it whenever you have the opportunity.

Because of the interaction between ninki usage and the cooldown, it's not practical to try use Bhava on CD to squeeze out more of them, so you might as well try to line it up with TA. You usually get four autoattacks in your TA window, so plan your usage accordingly. If holding Bhava for TA would make you waste more than 11 ninki from capping, it's better to just blow it.

VHGS fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 27, 2017

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

Correction: Bhavacakra is physical slashing that says it's unaspected, just like poison traits only benefit physical despite saying "all damage." This is something I alluded to in the DRG post. It's unclear to me which way the conflicting tooltips will change, but people evidently have reason to believe it's supposed to be poison physical, baka magical?

Bhavacakra definitely does not benefit from dripping blades, but based on my testing seems to be affected by slashing resistance down.

Which would make it...non-physical slashing damage?

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Minrad posted:

ahahahaha, this rules. like they should just have crafting timeout and logout like anything else, but lol

That probably requires a client update, and they'll stop doing the forced logouts once the patch is ready to go.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Pretty much everything about the samurai mythos exists only because it looks bad rear end.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, that's basically what Dancer is, isn't it?

No? Dancer's thing in tactics is whole battlefield support abilities. Their thing in FF5 is being an idiot that stands around doing nothing, except sometimes they do a ton of damage.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
There's a decent chance they noticed, but either couldn't fix it or figured it didn't matter, since they can't outlaw all the other ways you can bypass having to actually pay attention to the mechanic.

Not like paying attention is that much harder, anyway.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Is Menagerie Attack Tidal Wave used anywhere else in the game? Like, what a dick skill to start with there.

It's a reference to FF5 Shinryu, who also likes to immediately crush your dreams with a Tidal Wave. Now if only they could have contrived a way for him to be inside a treasure chest.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Kongming posted:

I just hit 70 on NIN and am wondering what the opener is now that I have Ten Chi Jin...I'm finding the ability awkward at the moment.

There are several and which one you use depends. Either

code:
Suiton -> Spinning + Kassatsu  -> Gust + Infusion-> Shadow Fang + Mug -> 
Spinning+ Jugulate -> Gust + Trick -> Aeolian + DWAD -> 
Spinning + Fuma -> Gust + Duality -> Aeolian + TCJ
(Fuma -> Katon -> Doton) OR (Fuma -> Raiton -> Suiton) -> 
Spinning -> Gust -> Shadow Fang 
or

code:
Spinning + Suiton  -> Gust + Infusion-> Shadow Fang + Mug -> 
Spinning+ Jugulate -> Gust + Kassatsu -> Aeolian + Trick-> 
Spinning + Raigon -> Gust + Duality+DWAD -> Aeolian + TCJ
Fuma -> Raiton -> Suiton -> 
Spinning -> Gust -> Shadow Fang 
Are what you're most likely to see. Ideally, you wait just long enough before hitting Trick Attack that it doesn't clip your next GCD, which lets you fit your TCJ in the vuln window better. If you have bad ping or will have to move, you can use your first ninki on Bhavacakra instead. Only use the AoE TCJ if you are positive you will not miss any ticks of doton, AND you don't have any buffs up that won't be applied to doton, like your potion. If you're precasting suiton, make sure you're in melee when you actually fire it off, to guarantee you get enough ninki by the time you need it.

Against bosses that don't sight pull, like Zurvan (or a dummy), you can doton and hit hide before it puts you in combat for free damage.

VHGS fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 30, 2017

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Is Doton effected by Trick Attack? I remember it wasn't effected by old Foes but I don't remember if that also included Trick Attack.

Just eyeballing it here, but it looks like yes, while the debuff is active it works, but it doesn't snapshot.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Tsurupettan posted:

Post your data.

We'll see for sure when the big releases hit, but the number floating around for direct hit is like 1% per ~40 points. Crit is about ~108.5. Since tanks get no Direct Hit on gear, we really just want to know roughly at what point the relative dps increase from a point of crit is higher than from your first point of direct hit. With those numbers, this graph shows the comparison.

Adding more crit is always better than adding direct hit if you already have around 2000 crit, with that number dropping the more direct hit you have. If Det is really 180 points per 1% of damage as quoted above, crit passes it forever at ~1400 ~1500 (I forgot to move the y-axis to account for det having a lower base).

VHGS fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 3, 2017

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Seal Rock is a lot more fun than Fields of Glory imho, because it actually forces people to fight each other if they want to win. But nobody ever queues for it for exactly that reason.

I think people just queue for Shatter because it's the fastest. Left to their own devices randos have no problems fighting, they're just terrible at it.

I agree Seal Rock is better but the random spawns can be really weirdly one-sided. I think Secure might actually be my favorite.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

Jolt -> [Verfire|Verthunder] -> Jolt -> [Verstone|Veraero]

If you have a verfire/verstone ready proc, you cast that spell instead of jolt, and then use doublecast on your next verthunder/veraero.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Arms warrior was lame because they could have called it Pecs instead.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Aw nuts. I liked my big damage.

It was affected by slashing, but not the trait. The change is pretty much a wash.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I have a confession...... I've never played FFV so I have no context for these characters. :smith:

Well, 'tis the season.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Harrow posted:

Interesting, thanks.

Now I want to find out what the highest amount of group damage reduction you can stack is, for things like primal ultimates. PoA, the Bole on a group (so 10% in that case), Troubadour... is there any more available? I know there are single-target damage-reducers, like Palisade, but I'm thinking for a whole group. I considered including Dismantle and Reprisal but if we're talking about a primal ultimate, they're going to be untargetable for longer than those last in I'm pretty sure every case.

Sacred Soil and Collective Unconscious, too. Also Fey Covenant (e:oops), but that increases magic defense.

VHGS fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 5, 2017

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Skaw posted:

I'm not sure if the numbers or even the idea behind it are accurate, so take it for what it is, but I read a reddit post that roughly 3000 crit is the point where crit outweighs a similar amount of direct hit. Crit still affects both rate and potency, where as direct hit only affects rate and is a static 25% increase in potency. The overall theoretical effective differences were said to be incredibly small beforehand though.

However if you're a job with important crit mechanics, like Bard and Monk, Crit is always superior.

~3000 is where the totals cross. If you want to know what to meld, you should look at the marginal values, which depend on how much you have of each. A point of crit is always better once you reach ~2000, but linear scaling means DH gets worse relatively per point, so crit is better sooner the more DH you have.

(again, assuming the values floating around for the conversions are true)

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

That sucks, I had 54 gathering ones saved up as vain progress towards the next book

You can't even get red scrip tokens anymore. You buy the gathering books with blue scrip tokens (which you buy with red scrip).

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is the in game battle log actually useful for you? Not being sarcastic, I've looked at the battle log before since I miss all sorts of important things during fights, but it seems completely random about what sort of information it reports. I wasn't aware that ACT could produce readable, sequential logs either.

ACT has a death recap feature which can be a little wonky but is decently helpful. I don't usually have ACT open, so I made combat log tabs in game that are really filtered. One just shows damage I took that I can use for a death summary, and the other is just enemy casts, although that one is less useful now that you can just look at the cast bars in the enemy list.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

SL the Pyro posted:

Crit is still a superior stat and should be melded where possible, though.

It depends on how much of each you have.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how useful is this information? are we even going to approach points where we get nearly this much crit or dh?

I'm at i314 (as ninja) and just melding all my gear would be enough for crit to be ahead.

VHGS fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 8, 2017

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

that's just relative value for your next point, though, right, not all the points? unless i'm misunderstanding something.

Right. If you want to perfectly optimize everything, you'd compare all the possible totals directly. The relative values are a good estimate for cases like melding, though.

quote:

Yeah but this means the answer is definitively "crit" as long as you can get a certain amount of it, which

True, but that amount is when the totals cross, which is closer to 3000. Perhaps reachable eventually, but not right now. Before that point, you shouldn't pursue more crit at the expense of direct hit until the relative value is already higher.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this is what i meant. the 'ideal' distribution, assuming infinite substats, would be dh until like 2k (or whenever future points of crit have better relative value than dh), and the rest crit.

No. If you had like 5000 points to put wherever you want, the correct choice would just be 5000 crit. If you can reach the point where the totals cross, the stat with higher scaling is just better.

quote:

but if you're not going above the point where crit's value per point is better than dh's, the fact that crit scales better doesn't mean it's actually better.

Right, but since the constraints of the gear system mean you can't always trade crit for direct hit, it is feasible right now to be in situations where adding more crit is better than adding more direct hit.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't wanna doom spike it uses too much tp.

My dude have you ever had a black mage tell you they don't want to use aoe spells because they cost too much mp.

Because I have.

Sinteres posted:

Now that I'm hitting 70 in my gathering classes, would I be better off buying a set of hq gear off the mb before trying to farm up a bunch of scrip, or would a full set of level appropriate trash with maybe hq tools be good enough?

Full NQ whites from the vendor is good enough for getting yellow scrip, except from the folklore nodes.

VHGS fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 9, 2017

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Flames are the best because it's a shorter walk from the teleport, although I hear they're super bad at frontlines if you're on Primal.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Clarste posted:

Isn't that roughly the idea behind the Enkindle cd they already have?

Yes, but it should look more bad rear end.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

orcane posted:

Where is that 4% number coming from?

On three targets: You hardcast them on one target, bane puts them on the second one at 100%, then 80% for the third. Before, the third target was 90%. 2.8/2.9 ~= 0.965. So yeah, about 4%.

quote:

Also Shadowflare nerf is 50%, Miasma 2 is gone, Blizzard 2 is gone.

That is literally the point of the post you quoted.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Condiv posted:

Quietus is worth using on 3 or more targets but never use dark arts on it.

You should dark arts it if you have blood weapon on and you'll otherwise cap out on mp, which is only almost never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

m.hache posted:

What's the point of Hissatsu: Seigan. It seems very tough to time with Third Eye, only does 200 potency and takes away Kenki. I feel like I have enough Kenki dumps that trying to time that into a rotation seems hamfisted.

It is slightly more damage per kenki than spending it on Shinten, so just use it whenever you know you'll take damage.