Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

2 job quests total for SAM and RDM?

That's pretty weak

Yeah, SAM and RDM both have amazing potential :(

IIRC they've said there are quests every 2 levels, but only the 60/70 ones give you abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Some snap analysis:

WAR: Cannot wait to get hit in the face! But really, Onslaught should ADD 20 Beast Gauge, not cost it.

AST: Why won't loving anything that Squeenix has written down tell me if Minor Arcana randomly picks between Lord and Lady or if half the cards turn into Lord, and the other half turn into Lady, and WHICH HALVES!?

MCH: ...wow, gently caress everything. Now MCH gets to feel what it's like to have a bolted on mechanic. There is no way to control overheat until you hit 62. Involuntary Overheats EVERYWHERE. All the BRDs everywhere just got schadenboners.

Heat doesn't start happening until you get Gauss at 52, Reload decreases your heat, and using ammo decreases heat generation. I'd wait to see the actual rotation in practice, especially if heat dissipates by itself.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

so if you're playing whm, do you thin air stone 4s instead of holies during bosses?

Stone 4 is more potency and faster to cast than Holy, so yeah.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Hommando posted:

This does not describe SB WHM at all. Lost stoneskin, fluid aura does no damage, lilies are mostly useless, lost divine seal, lost protect, lost shroud, cleric stance is useless, lost esuna, cure II doesn't proc a cheaper cure III.

At least we kept repose :shrug:

I don't understand why you're saying you 'lost' Esuna and Protect when they're just role actions now?? Divine Seal got renamed to Largesse and got somewhat nerfed, Shroud got renamed to Lucid Dreaming and got a small buff (3 extra seconds of duration), and Fluid Aura on CD was a whopping 5 potency per second that you could only use on bosses.

I agree Lilies are dumb but your complaints don't make any sense.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Truga posted:

That's the biggest irony in all this, IMO. They know how to do this right. Then someone checked and 7 people per hour per server are getting through the instance. Something's terribly wrong there.

You're defending SE with that, hth.

Yeah this is exactly why I took today off, people said HW was mostly fine. Oh well.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I mean either you have the beta be invite-only or lottery-based in which case all the people who don't get in will throw a shitfit, or you have it be open in which case you get the same thing you do with 'early access'.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Farg posted:

And I thought the Burden of the Father and the Burden of the Son were in Heavensward!

Uuuuuugh.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Minrad posted:

Greetings,

Thank you for reporting this concern. We understand that it's incredibly frustrating to be unable to access your characters during Early Access, and deeply apologize for this inconvenience.

We have confirmed this issue with the development team, and they are putting high priority on continuing to investigate how to resolve this for players.

At this time, it seems that the situation will require a resolution via the client itself (through updating the version). As such, we expect it to take more than several days to resolve this issue, including the time required to create the patch.

However, because this error is not caused by the corruption of local data or due to a PC issue, it is likely that re-installing the game will not resolve this issue.

Again, we deeply apologize for the inconvenience. We'd also like to note that if you continue to attempt to log into the game there is a chance you may be able to log in, so please try again after some time has passed.

lol at anyone who thought they were safer after besting pipin's wall, only to fall into susanoo's pitfall

Wait.... what?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's really helpful, thank you! My next challenge is going to be remembering which pomanders are which in the item menu so that I can quickly click the right ones.

This is really embarrassing lol

It's fine because for some bizarre reason nobody seems to actually use them. Like I'll be in runs have 3 damage/defense pomanders because I'm the only one actually using them.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Finished The Vault where both Samurai were asking for Protect despite no deaths. Now it won't load my character and I'm getting a 3070 error when I try to log in.

Sickness must be purged.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

sunken fleet posted:

Why are people emoting at the NPCs in the first place? A lot of role players play this game or something? :lol:

If you've never /slapped an NPC IDK what to tell you.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Thumbtacks posted:

Can someone explain how ACT works? I've never used it before but now that stormblood's out I'm curious. I know someone in DGKK was using it already in Stormblood but I've never used it before so I dont know what I need to install to make it work.

I don't know if now would be the best time to gently caress around with it, since apparently the stormblood support might not be all there. But in general you install ACT itself, then you install the FFXIV plugin so it knows how to parse XIV (since ACT is more of a framework that can deal with multiple games), and then you install a plugin to display a little DPS overlay window. Once everything works it's mostly just set-and-forget.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

We made it past the first boss, and I died on the a trash pull. I was only pulling two packs at a time, so nothing too crazy. The white mage did zero dps, and one of the bards never used his songs. After the wipe the healer called me a retard for being undergeared and then they kicked me.

Let me tell you it's really cool seeing people dogpile me for getting treated lovely by pubbies.

Yeah, I'm sure if tank damage used VIT then they would've been totally understanding and wouldn't have kicked you for some other idiotic reason.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Any 70 BLMs around? I'm curious how Foul fits into the single-target rotation and how it and the 68 trait affect AoE.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ah, that's a QTE, is it? So you mash with mouseclicks, or do you know if there's a button you can mash on your keyboard instead?

(I assume Numpad 0 works as the default, but I'm curious to see if just any input button works.)

(edit: Actually, come to think of it, if Numpad 0 works, doesn't that mean that the Japanese inherently have an advantage on this kind of stuff with 00 keys on their numpad?)

If it works like A11 then any input button works.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I've heard a lot of people complaining about how their class was ruined in Stormblood--are there any classes that people are (mostly, this is still the internet) agreeing got better?

I'm not at 70 yet but BLM is way more forgiving now, both in terms of Enochian being easy to keep up and with being able to teleport back to ley lines.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So then only overheat when you have Barrel Stabilizer up so you can instantly go back to 50, which means every other Wildfire.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Can you Flamethrower without a target to build heat during phase transitions?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm going to say that you'll pick up the essentials of tanking quick enough, and none of the story dungeons are going to be mechanically intensive for a new tank. Learn how to hold threat on multiple targets, learn to use your defensive abilities properly and you've got a good start. once your comfortable not losing threat and not dieing, you can play around with stance dancing on bosses. And if you mess up, well, you mess up. Everyone else is overgeared by this point so you'll have an easy enough time to recover. You can always practice by running some mid-level stuff to get a feel for it. It doesn't really change past the 30s.

Tanks come with the benefit of fast queues, whereas you'll probably be waiting ~30 minutes every time you try to do a dungeon as rdm.

As someone who had never played an MMO before this one I had no problems learning how to tank.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

homeless snail posted:

This just makes the concept of fantasia even more horrifying imo

I'm pretty sure fantasia don't actually 'exist' in-lore.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Magil Zeal posted:

Speaking of differences in quest text based on race/gender, I did find one bit as a lalafell. During the Doman MSQ, in the questline where you need to disguise yourself as an imperial, you are given three choices of soldiers to strip of their clothing, and choosing the roegadyn as a lalafell gives an amusing response.

Choosing the lalafell as an au ra had a really good response too, though I can't remember what.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

How do you do gpose stuff like limit breaks? Do you just type /gpose right AS you're using the spell or LB or whatever in order to pause it and take a screenshot? That seems wonky.

I figured you'd be able to trigger different animations in /gpose but I can't find a way to do that. Its just lighting and camera movement.... I tried looking up some tutorials but nobody explains poo poo. How does this work? Thanks.

IDK I never mained SMN hardcore and that was all a lifetime ago so its hard to remember... but I seem to remember summons chilling out and doing damage the whole time at least some point in the game's lifecycle.

I haven't tried gposing abilities but if you or anyone in your party does an emote before you /gpose then it'll repeat on loop.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I would absolutely wear a judge-themed tank glamour set.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

At least this game doesn't do the thing so common in other MMOs where the armor looks like that on female characters and like a head-to-toe set of full plate on male characters

e: the only example I can think of with extreme gender differences is dragoon AF1

There's a crafter chest that shows some cleavage on women but not men, but yeah I've generally found that there's not a lot of gender disparity.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Wangsbig posted:

enjoy it while it lasts, u don't get to lol like this again til level 420

We'll probably hit i420 sometime in 5.0, or maybe even the end of 4.X since HW was about 100 ilvl from start to end.

55 dungeon mechanics questions: How do you not die to Rush? I'm guessing it's just 'run away from the boss' since it has the same double-ended tether that lava Pepsiman has in Library Hard but I"m not sure.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cythereal posted:

...Helms and hoods in this game have little poke-out bits or holes on races with big ears that stick out. It's adorable and hilarious.

It's absolutely one of the things I miss the most about being a cat.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Isnt there that BLM skill that allows you to teleport? I thought that one works out of battle

You can AM out of battle but I don't think it lets you go up ledges or anything so it's not useful for parkour.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Fire 1 3 and 4 feel kind of similar, one is faster, the other stacks you instantly and the last you just need a buff to cast. I'm not really sure why Enoch doesn't just make your fire 3 better or whatever, or fire 1 and 3 aren't merged/upgrades. Blizzard is basically the same, granted they added the umbral heart thing. Does Blizzard 1 even come into the rotation anymore? Why is blizzard 2 still around? Why is there one ability to warp to ley lines and another to warp to a player? (Although I think most BLMs are going to agree between the lines was a poor way to solve leyline problems)

Verstone and fire exist not to be similar to aero and thunder, but Jolt. I guess I see what you're saying when you say that RDM is all about making your mana bars go up, but I find that's what makes it interesting. Almost every cast is a decision tree depending on procs and your mana.

B1 gets used during Umbral if you hosed up Enochian, or as a replacement for T3 if it has more than 18 or so seconds left on its Thunder timer (for example, if you used a Thundercloud proc late in the Astral phase). It's not common, but it does have a use case unlike the old T2.

I guess B2 might be useful for soloing because of the Bind effect?

Also I like Between the Lines, it's really nice being able to AM over to a player and then BtL back to my lines. Making them be the same ability would requires AM to have a 3-second cooldown, which would be hilarious but also really overpowered.

vOv fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 23, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I was soloing some open-world stuff and I almost died until a nearby RDM double-Vercured me and I really wish I could've commed them somehow for it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Kanfy posted:

I don't doubt it'll come up to some degree, but the way I saw that scene was that he popped the eyes for good and the whole point of it was Square showing that that particular plot device's role in the story is now properly and legitimately over.

Yeah, that was my interpretation. During that entire scene I was thinking "no Estinien you idiot don't try to use their power for good again" and then when he stabbed them I felt super relieved.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It took me a bit to realize that counterattack move's gimmick because I missed the shields going up among all the magical SFX of the BLM and my RDM spells. I caught on to "Fore and Aft" and "Port and Star" immediately though.

Also is it just me or does Caster Gear not exist in the 70 dungeons, I swear I've seen basically nothing for my RDM drop. Not too big a deal since I'm working on the i310 stuff (almost full on left side!) but still weird. I am probably just getting unlucky though.

It definitely feels like I'm getting hosed out of caster gear but I don't know if that's just RNG or not.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I mean it's blindly obvious that he's going to look into her eyes and see that she's his Nhaama at some point considering the only other plot-relevant Xaela girl (that Mol girl whose name I can't remember) has been ruled out.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Countblanc posted:

Didn't he already do that? I remember his underlings jeering him about how she rebuked him and the king guy was like "shut up idiots, gently caress you," and that's why he got cagey when she was brought up.

I don't think so. He looked at Lyse and the Mol girl, but not her. I did enjoy Suda going EIIIIIIIIIIIII????? at that one point though when he dissed her.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

*punches palm*

*nods*

*tilts head sideways*

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Meiteron posted:

I was already in love with this particular dungeon early on with the appearance of Tall Ninja. Why is he so tall? Who knows! He's a Tall Ninja. I dunno why I find the concept so funny but I do. Having a Tall Ninja as the second boss was just icing. What really sold this dungeon on me was the boss fight at the end.

loving Yojimbo just rises up out of the floor and once the fight is over he just sinks back down again I was more or less paralyzed with laughter for a good 20 seconds after that. He's just, like, later fellows. What a god. I sort of hope he keeps showing up in subsequent L70 dungeons and just wandering off every time.

Given that the second boss has attacks named Clockwork Raiton I think it's because he's actually a robot ninja, which is amazing. And I'll eat my hat if Yojimbo doesn't show up again in some other dungeon.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I still can't believe this is not an Emote we can do.

I've wanted /squats ever since I saw Godbert doing them right behind Cyr in HW Hildy.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Even the classes thing doesn't make any sense to me. It's a 'patch' on a problem but we already have skill-altering traits. Just have Bane Mastery or something.

As far as I can tell the big thing stopping them from getting rid of it is the technical effort (including the existence of ACN).

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

I did some math about this and I concluded that, if you assume that spellspeed, swiftcast, triplecast, and leylines don't exist (such that a Fire 2 Fire 2 Flare Flare rotation is like ~20.5 seconds total, while a Flare Flare rotation is 14.5 seconds), it's better to cast nothing but Flares on 5 mobs or fewer, while it's better to use Fire 2s and then Flare on your last umbral heart against six mobs or more, although the potency/second is very close either way.

That said, high spellspeed and proper use of cast speed increases probably cause the Blizzard 4, Fire 3, Flare, Flare, Repeat rotation to literally be shorter than Transpose's cooldown time, so even on fewer than six mobs it might behoove you to cast at least one Fire2 before you Flare so that you don't have any dead time after your second Flare.

What about T4 maintenance? I've been doing B4, T4, F3 just so that I always have Thunder rolling because Thundercloud procs are really good.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Looking cool is its own reward.

I think every movement ability works that way. Your character's hitbox is exactly where you cast the spell until the instant you land, and then your hitbox is there. Elusive jump is still a good skill, but you can't pull the clutch 1/4 s dodge with it.

This is definitely not true for Aetherial Manipulation since I triggered mines with it in A6S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Also pick up all of the aether current quests, one of them wants you to go to the north anyway.