Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SpaceDrake posted:

I really don't get that. Heavensward Bane needed a nerf, yes, on both SMN and SCH, but removing double Bios from it would have been enough by itself.

Doing that really does just come across as taking a wound and rubbing salt in it for no clear reason.

They really, really, reaaaaalllly don't want people doing sustained AoE anymore and Bane was pretty much the king of that. Even Fire 2 got hit hard.

Meanwhile: Hahahahaha my day as a PLD is here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

CuddlyZombie posted:

Every time you cast a mudra you have to make the hand sign IRL so that part can be difficult. Here's a guide on how to practice your mudras.

It's a good thing you can encapsulate all of the relevant hand signs in various permutations of a 3 button combo. Mudra's are a little complicated but once you wrap you're head around them the only thing that'll trip you up is latency and fat fingering shenanigans.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

super sweet best pal posted:

Hey Paladins, you know how your cross class options were kind of lackluster unless you were doing PUG PotD? Now you can fill those slots with some of the class abilities you took for granted.

Poor DRK's are the real victims of that. PLD's can get most of their actions back, DRK's can't :(

staplegun posted:

Really? They turned FA into a pure knockback spell? Well, throw another button into the WHM graveyard, I guess.

They did that with all the defensive 'do damage and move' skills. Now they all do just the movement: MCH's Blank, BRD's Repelling shot etc.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

warrior is fine, there's just not any huge need or want to take one. I would not be surprised at all if pld/pld becomes the new tank comp, LB penalty be damned.

Foe Req was changed to be a generic 3% damage up so there's no reason to take 2 PLD's over an off WAR/DRK.

In fact, the broadest 'decrease mob resistance' stuff was changed to that. Only Slashing, Piercing and Blunt remain (and even DRG's pierce was reduced to 5%)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thumbtacks posted:

Samurai's got more complexity than I was expecting, actually, and it might be kinda tricky to keep up Sen but not clip your dots/buffs, especially on AoE pulls.

On the other hand you only need to keep the Damage and Reduced Delay buff up before going straight into the AoE Iaijutsu and then you've got an AoE combo with two finishers which each grant sen.

Throw in some Hissatsu and you can probably get by without the Damage buff (especially when you take into account Guren)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thumbtacks posted:

Boy I'm really gonna need to learn these words eventually.

On single target fights, and assuming Kenki spenders are off the GCD (i think they all are?) I'm assuming the buffs are exactly long enough that you can build 3 sen, setsugekka, then build three sen again the same way you did the first time

Nah, like VHGS said it's better for you to convert your first 3 sen to Kenki via Hagakure and spend that on Hissatsus weaved among building more sen for Higanbana and Midare.

I kinda have a hard time wrapping my head around waiting for optimal Kenki for doing AoE but in taking a look at BLM I realize that pretty much everyone's going to want to build up for big AoE bursts what with all of the sustain nerfs (even MNK's AoE is burst what with Elixir Field and Howling Blow.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thumbtacks posted:

Even single target?

3 Sen converted to Kenki is 60 Kenki, and Hissatsu: Guren is 50 Kenki for 800 potency on single target.

Midare is 720 (unbuffed.)

Also your main single target Kenki spender (Hissatsu: Shinten) is 300 potency for 25 kenki.

Also also:

VHGS posted:

Yeah. The main reason is that Iaijutsu are on the GCD, so you have to subtract the average damage of your other weaponskills when comparing with oGCDs.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 16, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thumbtacks posted:

Wouldn't you spend your first 3 Sen on a Kaiten buffed Midare? You should have enough Kenki to Kaiten it. That's 1080 potency. Kaiten has a 5s CD, too

Or you could do that with your next 3 Sen AND Guren AND Shinten. Hissatsu are abilities after all :v:

Also gaining your second 3 sen would take 3 GCD's thanks to Meikyo and let you Shinten a second time. (IE: Hagakure -> Shinten, Meikyo, 3 Sen, Kaiten, Midare, Guren, Shinten.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 16, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thumbtacks posted:

unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say, you can't Kaiten buff guren or shinten

If you're going to burst you want to burst as big as you can in as short a time as possible. Holding off using Kaiten on your first 3 Sen accomplishes that better than using it because you need to build up Kenki to maximize your oGCD's for such burst.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Choyi posted:

Even single target of SCH was nerfed, remember that they lost a whole 40 potency dot and only gained 20 potency on ruin/broil to compensate. There is never a reason to bring a SCH over WHM or AST for anything now, its the 3.x PLD of the healers.

Counterpoint: so did WHM and AST. WHM actually wins in this case because they lose a 30 potency dot instead of SCH/AST's 40 potency one.

It's really Bane being hit that badly that's hurt them so much.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

isk posted:

To be fair, the HW launch was mostly smooth, a few minor snags.

It's kind of a miracle that HW went over so well really.

I mean, I'm pretty annoyed that instanced content is down today but it gave me an excuse to get all of my class quests sorted and get neato tastes of them all.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What's fulfilling is eating the tankbuster and laughing it off, either because you set up your mitigation properly, or because you're primed to top yourself/be topped off afterwards as a result. C'mon, first SB primal, you think tanks don't get a loving rush from the transition?

Earlier today I ran the 3rd SB dungeon and practically carried the instance: First boss killed the SCH at 60% health because he got the mechanic backwards :downs: so I had to PLD heal to keep everyone and myself up.
Second boss everyone stood around like an idiot for the last part while I did the right thing to get us through it.
Third boss everyone didn't look away for the confusion gaze so I had to retread the first boss keeping the healer up while getting beat on by the DPS (the melee dude died to stacked AoE's while smacking me in the shoulder. Should have looked away!)

Naturally I only got 1 comm for that run.

Good thing doing all of that is it's own reward :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

From a few pages back, but if you think Doma's Theme from FF 3/6 is the most blatant reference to that game in SB wait until you get to the level 69 dungeon. The cart did not stop rolling.

Number XXIV is pretty much perfect down to the name!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

To throw in another perspective on tank chat, even as a PLD I've noticed that I take a lot more damage now and that my HP ping pongs a lot with SCH's.

The loss of Foresight means that for CD rotations you're going to have to use Anticipation and a 30% increase of a chance of 20% damage reduction isn't as good as Foresight's guaranteed mitigation. (Said rotations being Foresight -> Rampart analog for PLD and DRK.)

Trash seems to hit really hard and Def/Mdef numbers have taken huge leaps and bounds from what they once were. I'm sure that some of it is that my gear isn't full 290/300 yet but I have no problems doing any bosses (and even being a Tank/Healer for most of the boss when the Healer messes up a mechanic and dies.)

So it'd be fair to say that in addition to all of the AoE dps nerfs they made also made trash actually hit worth something.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bell_ posted:

Suikoden 2 was released years and years ago. Serious question: which games or stories released since then have had a Luca Blight villain that measured up to the original?

None of them for pretty much the same reason: they don't get as much development as he does. Zenos is one of the better Luca Lite's I've seen and even that's just because of his scenes post final dungeon where he really gets into it (and the English VA pretty much nails it.)

Meanwhile Luca Blight's doin' Luca Blight things as early as 5 mins in the game by making martyr's out of his youngest soldiers and then again about 20 mins later with his infamous 'Squeal like a pig! Good! Now die like a pig! Hahahah!' moment. Luca puts his 'I'm a monster' foot forward really strongly.

Before Zenos went full ham he was pretty much doing the One Punch Man 'I am so bored of everything because I'm way too strong' schtick which is satisfying if you know what it is but it doesn't make him particularly interesting.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Meanwhile I one shot my first run of the trial.

It was kind of messy with some deaths but we did it!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

macfam posted:

The fact that the WoL can be a master culinarian doesn't get brought up I don't think. All your meals are cooked by other people in the msq. What must it feel like to politely eat food other people went out of their way to make for you when you are already the best chef in the country.

"These facking plebians they overcooked my marron glace the caramels not even set properly and what the heck is with this salad, these are clearly NQ greens in here and oh my Hydaelyn my Loaghton steak isn't braised properly I swear this is an insult disguised as pleasantry..."

The inner thoughts of a 60 CUL WoL during Aymeric's dinner.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

It took much longer to find healers for my trial PFs this past week, but the tanks were of abysmal quality.

My tank queues for Expert have been weirdly not-short this past week. Like, it'll say it's 20 minutes and then pop in one minute.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

As someone who only got interested in owning a house because of the decorations increase, I applaud those dudes effort in getting a whole lot of houses in (as someone who was really into Minecraft I can sympathize with 'ALL THESE IDEAS MUST TRY OUT' motive) and wish them a firm chastising buttspank for being hypocrites and not allowing others to also exploring their housing creativity.

Also for being rich moguls for being able to afford all of those houses at once but at least it's in fake not-money rather than real greenbacks :colbert:

It's not all paissa houses and chocobstables in the lawn after all!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

About the only time I go out of my way in POTD these days is via exploring for the exit or if someone asks everyone to go for silver chests, to which I reply 'if they're not too out of the way sure I'll go for them.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Meanwhile in Bardam's Mettle I've had a string of DRK's that don't use Abyssal Drain. Like, at all.

Only one of them held AoE threat decently.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 3, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's hilarious how the classes everyone say are unambiguously better for it are both the ones that changed the least (PLD, WHM, AST) and the one that was changed the most (BRD.) Everyone else has something to complain about.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Condiv posted:

Pretty much if it looks magic/energy based then it's likely a magic based attack and Dark Mind will help reduce the damage. It can be a little harder to tell if you're tanking on PLD now because you can block every type of attack now but some enemies will also have magic based auto attacks like Lakshimi and Sophia.

The major exceptions to this rule of thumb tend to be with enemies that are mostly physical in animations IE: Titan, the Garlean's etc. If they do something that looks magical it's actually (probably) physical.

Or in other words if something is punching you with magic, whether said attack is physical or magical depends on what else they typically throw at you.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

Something I never quite understood about tank itemization, why don't they just add a token amount of Strength to Fending gear? Especially now that jewelry is role locked.

That is a very good question.

Devs? Yoshi? Anyone who actually works on the game?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Minrad posted:

I remember seeing other previews of it where you see the castle in the blue void from FF5, but I can't remember where from.

In looking back though, I looked at Eorzea Collection 2017 again and uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JbUQWCxqCA&t=26s

Did we ever figure out where these new(?) Grand Company outfits come from? That Mael jacket makes me wanna switch. They don't look like the old hunt gear at all.

Those are the First Lieutennant Jackets and hats it looks like.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

The mounts we have already are FF6 style. These are different.

Actually this statement is true in both parts. The mounts we have are FF6 style and these new mounts are a different FF6 style!

Both are great as heck.

SonicRulez posted:

gently caress Off Forever:
Using the Alexander token poo poo system again. Cool, so I get to run O4 20 times in a row just praying that I can roll high enough to get my 1 body token for the week. For what purpose?

Or you could be like me and say 'nuts to BIS by the time I can get a body via tokens I can get a body via tomestones so I'll just go with that thank you.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

Assuming it's the same as heavensward, you'll also need tomestones

And if you cap tomestones every week you'll have more than enough to buy a body and the weapon when it's available.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Doing 8+ runs of a raid instance back to back to make sure everyone gets a drop is really freakin' exhausting.

Especially when it's 4 raid instances.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The best part of Alexander is A12. Yes it's better than Brute Justice :colbert:

Been too busy trying to get the Predator Mount from Ala Mhigo to run the new raids but I'll give 'em a go tonight.

Ciaphas posted:

Does anyone have a good guide on how to Samurai at 70, or at least generally what their cycle looks like? Best I can figure is cycle through all three combos, hit the big whammy, and repeat while somehow spending Kenki I guess, but I'm still at 51 on it so I don't have a clue.

Depends.

For bosses, start with a Yukikaze -> Higanbana (if you have the Kenki, Kaiten it,) then build 3 Sen.
If you have 70 or more Kenki then you pop Diversion, Kaiten your Midare, Guren, pop Meikyo, build up another 3 Sen and Kaiten that Midare. That's your big burst (if you have more Kenki, spend it on Shinten.)
If you have less than 70 Kenki, Shiten yourself down to around 40, Hagakure to convert your Sen into Kenki and then start from the beginning.

Else you pretty much do that and maintain your Higanbana.

For AoE you get to be a pretty crazy blender. Do a single Gekko combo on the strongest dude to get the damage buff, then do an Oka AoE combo. Hagakure those Sen to Kenki. Do your AoE combos while mashing Kyuten between every GCD. Don't Kaiten Tenka Goken, it slows down your Kyuten spam (and more Kyutens is better than stronger Tenka Gokens.)

If there are more than a few things alive after you start running on fumes post Invigorate then everyone else really sucks at AoEing :colbert:

Edit: oh you're at 51. At 62 your Kenki generation becomes bonkers and past that you get more Kenki spenders so your damage pretty much takes off from there. Huge Direct Crit Kaiten'd Midare's are awesome but the real meat of SAM is in managing your Kenki.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

You guys really should play Final Fantasy V. It takes about 10 hours to complete and it's one of the more mechanically robust FFs out there, albeit in such a way that you won't really appreciate it unless you beat it at least a couple times.

Alternatively you can live vicariously through several other people who've played though the game with a variety of expertise, caveats and challenges.

And if you say you don't want your eyes to glaze over at screenshots of an old SNES game consider it something else to do while waiting for DPS queues or something :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Coughing Hobo posted:

Nero uses the same animations that Gaius used. He even has the same multi-swing attack.

Considering how Fordola uses theirs when they get one I imagine Garlean gunblades come standard with that pistol shot, Innocence (the three blade swipe) and the delayed sword beams.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Philonius posted:

I don't think this is correct.

Kyuten does 150 potency per target for 25 kenki, in other words, 6 potency per target per kenki.

The damage from using Kaiten on Tenka Goken drops off for more targets, but on the first it's +50% of 360 for 20 kenki, or 9 potency per kenki. For the 2nd it's 8.1 per kenki, for the third it's 6.3 , and so on. For your average double trash pack pull of 6 mobs, you're still hitting for 6.75 potency per target on average. The average doesn't drop below 6 unless you're hitting at least 10 targets.

You're forgetting the time element, Kyuten is instant and you can spam it between GCD's. Tenka Gokken takes resources to build and has a cast time. If you don't Kaiten your Tenka Gokken you can easily generate enough Kenki for 1.5 to 2 (you'll end up short some cycles when running on empty) Kyutens per Tenka Gokken. That's more overall potency for the time it takes most double pulls to die in.

SirPhoebos posted:

What's the best version of FF5 these days? I took a look at the Steam version and found the 'revised' sprites to be a big negative.

The GBA version is pretty definitive and even tosses in a few new jobs that allow you to break the game even harder should you so choose to use them!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The anti-hero showing up and taking off his sunglasses is a common trope not exclusive to whatever anime that is.

I find myself annoyed at Nero this time around. Mostly because he stole my Shaded Spectacles look. Jokes on him, I made mine HQ! :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Philonius posted:

But you're casting Tenka Goken anyway. Increasing its potency with Kaiten doesn't take any extra time, Kaiten is just as instant as Kyuten.

Fuga - Oka - Fuga - Mangetsu - ((kaiten)) - Tenka GOken can be done in the same time as
Fuga - Oka - Fuga - Mangetsu - ((Kyuten)) - Tenga Goken

Again, 2 Kyuten's is better than a Kaiten'd Tenka Goken. The AoE combo builds 30 kenki per Tenka Goken, at two combos you have 60 kenki. You can either spend that on 2 Kyutens or 3 Kaitens except you'd be wasting that 3rd Kaiten (because you'd only have 2 Tenka Goken's to boost.)
3 combos brings you to 90 Kenki, or 3 Kyuten's and 4 Kaitens (with only 3 Kaiten's possible.)

See the problem? Kaiten is Sen locked, Kyuten isn't. With Sam AoE guzzling TP you want stuff to die real fast and with Hagakure you're generating a whole lot of extra Kenki for Kyuten spam to burst everything down before your TP runs out. You simply can't spend your Kenki fast enough with Kaiten.

Also adding in crit's and direct hits, more damage instances out means more crits/direct hits.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

You're correct that he's hyur/garlean, but holy poo poo keep your soldiers under control dude.

Another reason why Baut is awesome :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thundarr posted:

Personally I just want them to include a JENOVA fight for the rad music. For whatever reason I don't expect FF7 to show up as a tier in Omega though.

YoshiP looks at this post and coughs, shoving the Omega tier with the bosses JENOVA, JENOVA, JENOVA and JENOVA back a patch.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Saint Freak posted:

You can't 'pity get' the weapon as far as I can tell. If you run a dungeon with every other drop except the weapon you just get nothing at the end.

Confirmed. You only get armor and accessories, no weapons.

<- A dude who use the level 64 HQ katana until the freebie at 70 because the dungeons just. Would. Not. Drop. One.

The same for MNK fists. Used the Shisui ones until 69 (because I got the MNK weapons there when leveling my tank through it :v:)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Clarste posted:

This is literally your superpower. It makes you one of the strongest people in the world.

And then you have a majority of players who ignore this and die horribly. Like a certain ex-Garlean would say... Wheat from the chaff...

SKULL.GIF posted:

This guy shows back up in Stormblood, right?

And before. That's right, I recognized him despite his bit part all those years ago because I am... A loremaster :colbert:

He's the first Griffin double you meet face to face.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The only time I like being that dick is when said person actually deserves it. I don't care what your circumstances are in 24 mans or dungeons or whatever NO ONE GETS A FREE AFK RIDE!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Vitamean posted:

I think the normal mode token system sucks but it confounds me that between three free companies of goons, six to eight people are having trouble getting together and saying "hey a couple of nights this week lets run Omega for an hour and try to get everyone tokens".

Running all 4 raids to get 8 people the tokens they want is really freakin' exhausting. My personal pro-strat is 'need on whatever I want, make no bones about if I get something or not. unless it's a chain/bolt, those are the most translatable tokens GDI why didn't I get a chain or bolt that run.'

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Vitamean posted:

I don't think you need to do them all at once, or even as a full group - even rolling in as a stack of six means you have a much higher chance of getting what you want than going in by yourself.

Like it doesn't even have to be a set, static time. It's just weird to me that there's such a large pool of people on excal allegedly willing to help yet I see people in this thread complaining about solo queuing multiple times and coming out empty handed.

Typically when I've done it (and I'm not even on Excal) it's a bunch of our FC dudes going 'hey who wants to hit up the new raid and get everyone tokens and such' and then we do so and there's kind of an obligation to get it all done at once so we don't have to do it. No set times or anything it just takes awhile to do.

Like, 4 hours or so minimum to do it if you want to get everyone their thing. For a 2 hour block you're looking to do the latter half or even just the last instance of the raid tier to get everyone a token they want.