Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

CuddlyZombie posted:

The PvP actions for black mage look fukkin sick. Foul turning into Flare or Freeze is both really cool flavor-wise, and alliterative.

I really wish that was how Flare, Freeze, and a hypothetical Burst actually worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I cannot for the life of me tell if the Blizzard 4 and Improved Umbral Heart tooltips are in accidental contradiction or if BLMs get to cast one free Flare per astral cycle as of level 68.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Countblanc posted:

So is Fire 2 just not used at all at level 68+? Huh.

I did some math about this and I concluded that, if you assume that spellspeed, swiftcast, triplecast, and leylines don't exist (such that a Fire 2 Fire 2 Flare Flare rotation is like ~20.5 seconds total, while a Flare Flare rotation is 14.5 seconds), it's better to cast nothing but Flares on 5 mobs or fewer, while it's better to use Fire 2s and then Flare on your last umbral heart against six mobs or more, although the potency/second is very close either way.

That said, high spellspeed and proper use of cast speed increases probably cause the Blizzard 4, Fire 3, Flare, Flare, Repeat rotation to literally be shorter than Transpose's cooldown time, so even on fewer than six mobs it might behoove you to cast at least one Fire2 before you Flare so that you don't have any dead time after your second Flare.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Spammable scholar AoE should be a thing that like, deals 25 or 30 potency to each target in a radius per DoT of yours on that target.

vOv posted:

What about T4 maintenance? I've been doing B4, T4, F3 just so that I always have Thunder rolling because Thundercloud procs are really good.

I think you just cast that whenever the last one runs out but I didn't really do any math about it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Truga posted:

You should be casting thunder 4 in this case, not fire 2 :v:

You're not wrong, since a full-length T4 is a total of 230 potency per target compared to F2's 144.

The only balance change I want them to make to Black Mage is to hitch Fire 2 back up to 100 potency, or at least 90 or something, so that "Fire 2 until your last Heart, then Flare" is always the best AoE rotation as well as the most intuitively obvious AoE rotation.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Countblanc posted:

The thing is, the Warrior of Light is really loving good at killing, but really nothing else. When people praise the WoL it's either because they just murdered something hard to murder, they're about to murder someone, or they inspired other soldiers to become better murderers. You're right that the WoL doesn't have much of a spoken personality aside from "sardonic action hero" but those are the things people in-universe respect you for.

There's a guy you can beat at triple triad who proceeds to be like "oh my god don't you ever get tired of being the best at everything?! fuccckk"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Countblanc posted:

If I can't cast The Wood Remembers to generate AoE threat in 5.0 there is going to be hell to pay.

Yeah at this point FF14 has built up such a consistent grammar of monster abilities that it really behooves them to put that stuff in player hands. My only worry is that they can't get too on the nose with it or else the BLU ability animations will start confusing party members into thinking they need to stack or turn away or whatever.

Having a titanic health pool but middling damage is even, itself, a classic monster trait!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

What we need is a Calculator class who has a regular old numerical resource bar that goes 1-100, but instead of your moves having normal costs they all perform different operations on the bar - some add or subtract, some multiply or divide, some square or square root, etcetera. And your most powerful moves can only be executed under specific conditions like your resource is a perfect square or a prime number or a multiple of seven.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

Ferrinus Prime is really mean, he's always telling me how bad I am and how I should just give up.

I would never do that!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

I'm a big fan of how often you are called The Eikon-Slayer in text and dialogue. It made me laugh pretty hard at Zenos. He fused with the one thing that we are almost certain to steamroll. I get why with his character and stuff, but it was still funny. Like if you showed up to fight Batman dressed as a clown.

Well, like, you did beat him in the normal course of things, and then his final boss form was probably the most difficult fight in the game that doesn't have (Extreme) or (Savage) somewhere in its duty finder name. I think people overstate the extent to which the WoL defeating primals is a result of some kind of Pokemon damage type vulnerability rather than the WoL simply being one of the very few people who can even engage a primal without instantly being tempered for their troube.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

homeless snail posted:

They did it because weakness no longer reduces vitality so people don't end up with stupidly low HP after being revived. If they didn't revert it then tanks wouldn't be penalized for death as harshly as other roles. IDK how math works though, couldn't they just make weakness a reduction on outgoing damage rather than a stat loss?

They should absolutely do that. I don't care if tank damage remains in the toilet, it'd be justifiable if each point of Vit added less damage to a tank than each point of Mind adds to a healer since Vit has a secondary benefit. What's important is for itemization to be clear and intuitive.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Renegret posted:

Triple casting flares is the funniest loving thing in this game. It's less funny when I forget to pop diversion beforehand but it's worth it.

Question regarding the new BLM rotation at 70. I'm doing:

bliz 4 > fire 3 > fire2 x2 > flare > t4> flare > transpose > bliz 4 > repeat (fouls where appropriate obviously)

I'm hearing some people say it's best to skip the 2xfire2s and just flare more. Has anyone actually parsed it out? The damage from the flares is huge but I feel like there's just too much downtime between flares.

I have, and on four or five enemies, your potency/second is marginally higher if you skip the F2s, while on six+enemies a pair of F2s mildly wins out.

IMO they need to slightly up F2's potency so that the intuitive AoE rotation is always the correct one but we're in pretty good shape either way.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

vOv posted:

What about T4, do you always want to keep it going?

Iiiii have not done the math on that one but have been assuming yes. It's for sure worth it if you're using F2, because a regular non-proc T4 actually does more total potency than an F2 does.

In particular if you're eschewing F2 entirely AND using such things as ley lines and triplecast, your rotation might literally be shorter than Transpose's cooldown, in which case you'll want to refresh T4 just to make sure you're always casting.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

CuddlyZombie posted:

You can combine triplecast and swiftcast and convert and ether for Swiftcast Quadruple Flare, right? This is very important.

Yes.

Unfortunately I'm not sure you can pentaflare because I suspect that Astral Fire makes you incapable of benefiting from someone else's manashift.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

P sure it's more like 20 enemies for F2 to be worth it

On six targets, a rotation including F2 does 5760 potency/20.5 seconds = 281pps compared to the Flare-only rotation's 4032 potency/14.5 seconds = 278pps, although to be fair this does ignore Thunder and assume a 2.5s GCD.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

vOv posted:

I'm pretty sure that more spellspeed would favor F2 since it means you'll spend more of your rotation waiting for mana ticks. In the absurd limit where you have a 0-second GCD then you'd want to cast as many spells as possible.

Well, it favors more casting, but it might just favor making time for T4 instead of eschewing it. If you had to choose between a single spell to cast between flares, T4 is definitely strictly superior to F2.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It's insane that the "Polyglot" status doesn't shroud your face in shadow and replace your eyes with burning yellow motes.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It's probably going to be pretty tough with the new raid coming out today plus holiday. You can try again in a few days or make a char on another server and pay the transfer fee

Right so that's why I said I have been doing a rotation that includes thunder

And not F2

Unless you're in futureland and have a GCD below 2s you only need one bridging ability for the 12s transpose cooldown and thunder is better than fire. I'm on my phone so can't check numbers but pretty sure that's true even if you're clipping thunder at 12s

F2 is bad

With a 2.5 GCD you don't need a bridge at all, since B4 F3 Flare Flare is 14.5 seconds already. If we add 210*6 = 1260 potency and 3s for Thunder 4, we've got a F2-less rotation that lasts 17.5 seconds (just long enough to refresh it, more or less) and deals 302.4 pps.

Meanwhile, if we just replace a single F2 with a T4 in the long rotation, we get... 300.3 pps, which I guess means that a single F2 is worth it on 7 enemies and beyond..? I think you're right in principle.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Obligatum VII posted:

Does anyone have any cliff notes for snake lady (Extreme)? I'm finally pursuing the Ex primals. Rather late to the game, but I just hadn't gotten around to it. Just a quick rundown of the abilities so I'm not utterly blind would do, I can figure out how to deal with them readily enough on my own if needed.

When she has the Chanchala buff up (her model gets an aura of blue and black flames, and she gets what looks like a blue and black maple leaf icon on her buff bar) her next ability will be fatal to anyone who hasn't popped Vril. This means that everyone has to use Vril if she's buffed and casting a spell that starts with the word Divine (divine doubt, divine denial...) or "Strotram" which is her generic unavoidable raid damage AoE. Tanks have to use Vril if she's Chanchala'd and about to hit them with her tankbuster, "Pull of Light".

When she casts Divine Doubt, you want to pair up and scatter so that each person ends up getting melee'd by one other confused person rather than being beaten to death by a mob.

During her add phase, you want to get each snake low but NOT kill it, and then only kill snakes when they have a blue bubble around them. If you do this three times then everyone will have a charge of Vril so that they can survive Lakshmi's ult.

Whoever's second in enmity wants to be standing at a good angle away from the main tank AND the rest of the party because they're periodically targeted by a huge cone aoe.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

With a 2.5 GCD you don't need a bridge at all, since B4 F3 Flare Flare is 14.5 seconds already. If we add 210*6 = 1260 potency and 3s for Thunder 4, we've got a F2-less rotation that lasts 17.5 seconds (just long enough to refresh it, more or less) and deals 302.4 pps.

Meanwhile, if we just replace a single F2 with a T4 in the long rotation, we get... 300.3 pps, which I guess means that a single F2 is worth it on 7 enemies and beyond..? I think you're right in principle.

I guess what they need to do, if they don't want to buff sub-68 BLM AoE, is make Improved Umbral Heart also buff the potency of any F2 spell you spend a heart to cast.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Harrow posted:

I like that they sort of represent this in gameplay terms, too. Red Mages use their own aether to cast spells, and to do that without killing themselves they need to draw very little and amplify it with an outside tool. So Red Mage spells have really low MP costs relative to other casters because they draw less aether, but because you're not drawing aether from any outside source, your methods for restoring your MP are really limited (specifically, limited to a role skill).

It would probably be impossible to make it work, but I've always wished that rather than Convert, becoming a black mage finally gave you access to the "Umbral Ice" status. That'd make the story stuff about thaumaturges being limited to their body's own aether while black mages have functionally limitless power by drawing on the rest of the world more immediately relevant.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Harrow posted:

It's been a long time since I did the Black Mage job quest, but wouldn't it make more sense if Convert represented you starting to tap into your body's own power, given that it drains your HP to give you MP? Or is that just its gameplay function and what you're actually doing is drawing aether from the world around you?

I clearly don't remember Black Mage lore at all.

Yeah, that you unlock black mage, the job that can finally draw on the world's aether than use the caster's own, and immediately learn the skill that trades HP for MP is pretty absurd. I guess you can pretend that drawing on surrounding aether is physically taxing and that's why you lose HP for doing it (it's not like you use HP every time you get a mana regen tick), but it's definitely suboptimal in terms of the supporting flavor text.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Harrow posted:

Is it ever discussed where other casters draw power? Conjurers/White Mages get power from the elementals, Black Mages draw from the land around them, Red Mages draw from their own aether reserves and amplify their spells with an aetheric accelerator to accomplish more than they otherwise could with their personal aether reserves. What about Arcanists and Astrologians?

I forget if astrologians directly draw power from the stars or just enjoy their blessings in some less tangible way. Arcanists probably use their own aether (and in fact, using one's own aether is just the default way magic is performed). Of course, summoners channel the power of primals they've defeated and scholars... might just keep drawing on their own aether, and have a combination of very well-calibrated and efficient magic plus a fairy to offload some of the burden onto?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It's time for them to increase the potency of Fire IV and Blizzard IV back up to 280, but also of Flare.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I think I'm having more fun with the hosed up "only cast Blizzard 4 every ninety seconds" illegal BLM rotation than the obvious one.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm going to have an insane meltdown if it isn't, for this reason.

{Same}

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Unfortunately I don't think mana shift will work on someone in Astral Fire.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I wish Susano's enrage had a cast bar and a fancier animation just so that you could tell he was doing it. The first time I ever saw it I was just confused as to what happened.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

It has an animation? I just remember the screen going to black.

He just does his Unekhi animation + lightning nova without so much as a cast bar. It's incredible that he doesn't even loudly tell you he's growing bored or something.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

While welcome, the black mage changes don't seem to fix the thing where an umbral cycle consisting purely of thunder and foul is superior to an umbral cycle consisting of thunder, foul, and blizzard 4. Which is okay, because playing to minimize B4 casts actually feels pretty good, but I can't imagine it's what they intend.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I haven't been playing my BLM much is SB but why doesn't getting a longer astral phase by getting hearts benefit?

Umbral Hearts give you two more F4s, which are good. However, they come at the cost of casting B4, which is bad. Basically, when you compare this, and here I am using italics for crappy spells (spells cast in UI, spells cast to transition) and bold for good ones (fire spells cast in AF):

F4, F4, F1, F4, F4, B3, T3, Foul, F3
Math: 2196 fire + 168 + 390 + 650 + 168 = 3572 potency, 23.7 seconds ---> 150.7 potency per second

to this:

F4, F4, F4, F1, F4, F4, F4, B3, T3, B4, Foul, F3
Math: 3132 fire + 168 + 390 + 650 + 260 + 168 = 4718 potency, 32.3 seconds ---> 146.07 potency per second

You find that you go from a 6:3 powerful/mediocre ratio to an 8:4 powerful/mediocre ratio, which is not really an improvement on paper. The numbers also bear this out, with the top series of spells eking out a mildly superior potency/second to the bottom even when you take the 2.8 second F4/B4 cast time into account; it's like 152 for the short one versus 148 for the long one. Sources: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/246796-Black-Mage-Sanctuary-A-Guide-to-DPS/page267 and http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/335645-Some-interesting-numbers-on-4.0-BLM , although I guess we can work it out for ourselves here if we don't trust 'em.

Now, Foul is what makes this work. The core idea here is that you have to spend two GCDs in Umbral Ice no matter what, and one of them is almost certainly going to be Thunder, so what should the other be? Well, if you're level 69 or below, it's got to be Blizzard 4; that's your best filler spell hands-down. But Foul isn't even a filler spell - it's your best spell straight up. So if you reduce your UI cycle from two good filler spells to one filler spell and one insane unbeatable haymaker you've made a dramatic gain. One thing that occurs to me is that if, somehow, you enter UI to find that your target already has a lot of Thunder time on them (maybe you threw a thundercloud proc right before or after your F1 or something, IDK, although I don't see why you wouldn't save that proc for UI) then it might literally be worth it to have a UI cycle consisting of Blizzard 4 and Foul.

This doesn't make B4 useless, because the 3.X-esque rotation is actually shorter than 30 seconds, which means you need to occasionally use Blizzard 4 just to stockpile Foul charge time and ensure you've always got a Foul lined up for when your orbs turn blue. Specifically, I think it's best to use B4 in your opener to do the 8xF4 thing everyone does, and then to use B4 about every 90 seconds, when Triplecast and Leylines are about to come off cooldown.

If they wanted to make it so that B4 is always worth using, they need to buff umbral hearts themselves. My idea is that they should give you ALL the upsides of being in UI 3, including halving the cast time of fire spells as well as halving their AF costs. Umbral Hearts should ALSO double the potency of Fire 2 or something in order to make it worth using ever, though.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 15, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Anyway the big QoL change that BLMs definitely need is an increase of a couple hundred points of max MP so that you don't have to pause for a breath between casting Blizzard 4 and Fire 3 in your opener to ensure that you get a mana tick and therefore can afford eight F4s.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Ok heres my confusion: that is only 20s of skills. You're 10s short of a foul on the 2nd time through.

You're right, but you also didn't read my whole post. The short version is that by casting B4 in your opener and roughly every 90 seconds (lining up with leylines and triplecast) and also making liberal use of thundercloud and firestarter procs you can buy yourself enough time to always have a Foul ready.

I'm doing some calculator app + notepad math right now and it's just possible that the 3.X + Foul rotation DOESN'T beat out 4.05 + Foul right now though?? I'll get back to you in a bit.

EDIT: I found my mistake - I'd literally forgotten to add Foul's potency to the short rotation. No, the short rotation still wins.

EDIT 2: I've included the numbers in my above post but I'll put them here as well:

F4, F4, F1, F4, F4, B3, T3, Foul, F3
Math: 2196 fire + 168 + 390 + 650 + 168 = 3572 potency, 23.7 seconds ---> 150.7 potency per second

to this:

F4, F4, F4, F1, F4, F4, F4, B3, T3, B4, Foul, F3
Math: 3132 fire + 168 + 390 + 650 + 260 + 168 = 4718 potency, 32.3 seconds ---> 146.07 potency per second

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 15, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So with triplecast now every 60s doesn't that increase your propensity to use B4?

With a 2.8s cast time on your punchiest magic, each time you use triplecast you're basically buying yourself 0.9 seconds total. However, if you subtract 0.9 from each of those times and divide, you still see the short rotation put out more PPS than the long rotation. It's not really that triplecast makes the long rotation break ahead, it's just that it's a useful benchmark to use as a timer - every so often you need the longer, slightly weaker B4 rotation just to give Foul time to charge back up. I think the effect of 60s triplecast is largely that you use leylines as your new B4 stopwatch.

Since each firestarter and thundercloud proc you get buys you more time on the Foul clock, it's not a sure thing that you'll HAVE To B4 every 90s; I've had Susano fights where I literally had to cast B4 right as triplecast refreshed because Foul was still a second away from being ready, and I've had Susano fights where I probably could've gone an extra cycle without B4ing because I'd gotten so many procs and/or I'd had to run around and delay my rotation so frequently.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I'd like if they made foul an ogcd so it wasn't an either or for it and b4; even if they had to take the potency down a bit for that not to be a huge buff

Yeah, ogcd Foul would also take care of this, although I kind of like the puzzle of deciding exactly where to cast the spell (the obvious answer now is "instead of blizzard 4" but back when I thought you always had to cast blizzard 4 it was a more interesting problem) so I'd prefer they massively buffed umbral hearts instead.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

So if you think about it, on single targets, Blizzard 4 is a spell with an 8.6s cast time that deals 1196 potency worth of damage. That's 142.4 potency per second (F4 on its own is 167.1 pps, if you're wondering).

Thunder 3 has a 2.5s cast time, deals 70 upfront, and deals 320 more over 24 seconds. On a fresh target it's 156 potency per second.

That means that if Thundercloud procs didn't exist, it would technically be worthwhile to have an umbral cycle consisting only of Blizzard 4 and Foul as long as your target has like... a single tick of Thunder left on them. Since in that case a straight cast of Thunder is only going to be worth ~140 pps. I have to think about how to take thundercloud procs into account here.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

How do you figure b4 is 8.6s

Well you only cast Blizzard 4 to allow yourself to cast an extra two Fires 4. B4 + F4 + F4 is a total of (2.8*3 = 8.4) seconds of spellcasting and 1196 potency of magic damage.

8.6 was a typo, sorry! The pps was correct.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It still really annoys me that Bio 2's potency per tick is lower than Bio 1's.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

macfam posted:

I'm still mad about summoner's physick being worthless. Saying summoners can't have a good heal because that's for red mages only is crazy.

At the very least Physick should just transform into Sustain when you equip the SMN job crystal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Since BLMs don't need Lucid Dreaming for mana, they DO effectively have an extra slot to use for Apocatastasis or Erase or something. And of course they can Mana Shift on cooldown at no real cost.