Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

quote:

Fluid Aura: No longer deals water damage with a potency of 150.

Really? They turned FA into a pure knockback spell? Well, throw another button into the WHM graveyard, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Huh. Never seen that attitude in an MMO before, but okay. The healer classes in this game do look nicely varied, though I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the astrologer plays.

serious answer? http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/astrologian/ maybe, or just look up videos on youtube.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/The_House_That_Death_Built is the sidequest that unlocks it. It'll only show up if you've done the Copperbell (level 17 MSQ) quest.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Asimo posted:

Okay, gently caress it, I give up. I have no idea how the gently caress crafting works in this game. It is such obtuse, newbie-unfriendly bullshit. Is there any tutorial anywhere for complete idiots about how to do anything besides brute forcing a recipe by being thirty levels over it? And I don't just mean a crafting macro, since that doesn't do anything to teach me how you're supposed to make any progress in this system before running out of everything. I just want to do some turnins to M'naago. :psyduck:
If you're just looking for a primer of the different values (durability, progress, quality, condition) that you need to keep track of when crafting, that hasn't changed since 2.0. Just check Youtube for "FFXIV how to craft" or something. Even the information at https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Crafting#Crafting_Basics still applies.

If you're asking about how you should determine what abilities you should use, that's a harder question. For instance, as a general principle durability restoration abilities that use more CP tend to be more efficient than those that use less CP, but are less versatile as a result. With few exceptions, the system shies away from having abilities that are flat out better than others. For instance, Masters Mend I (92CP, restores 30 Durability) vs Master's Mend II (160CP, restores 60 Durability). Sure, you would always prefer to use MMII if you were in a vacuum, but with durability limits and a limited CP pool it's harder to get the full value from it.

Quality increasing actions (Touches) actually tend to be the opposite case, just because durability consumption and success chances are complicating factors. Maybe it's confusing when it's written down like that but it's pretty intuitive when you do it for a while.

In any case, you've got the right idea by not using macros right off the bat. It's better to learn what your options are during crafts. When I'm starting a new, non-trivial craft the first thing I do is try to see how efficiently I can complete the craft, without even worrying about quality. Then I can workshop different quality-increasing rotations while still knowing what I need to conserve to complete the craft. Try to always make sure the chance at completing a craft is guaranteed. Relying on 90% swings unaided for craft completion is garbage (ie make sure you get WVR's Careful Synthesis as a cross-class skill first and foremost).

One of the most impressive parts of the crafting system is that there are very few dead abilities although there are CP/recipe difficulty break points when some abilities really come into their own (and conversely, when some abilities fall off in usefulness). If you don't want to blow up crafts or find that it's a hassle using the in-game crafting to learn, http://ffxiv-beta.lokyst.net/#/simulator is a simulator that's robust and 99.999% accurate in telling you expected results of your rotations.

edit: oh i guess all that information was too basic for you, welp :v:

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

As someone that has done the 1-20 chocobo grind I support any sort of way to not make anyone else go through that huge pain in the rear end.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

S-E please merge all the Department of War/Magic classes and let me be an Onion

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is running Levequests the best way to level a low-level DPS? Is it still faster to just run dungeons?

Dungeons when you can get them, but otherwise run Confidence category leves: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Battlecraft_Leves

In particular, Adamantoise Tears in S. Shroud is a real good leve at level<35 since you can complete it without fighting any monsters. If the person that assigns the leves isn't showing it, just take another and blast through it with a leveled class until it does show. You can also do Cower to the People in Coerthas, but that's a bit tricky to do if you don't have access to sleep spells to stop enemies from interrupting interactions with the quest items.

There's one HW Confidence leve but S-E got wise to people grinding them and made the interaction timer take real long and spawn in a ton of monsters, so that's no good.

edit: Oh right, I completely forgot about squadron missions/POTD. I remember that grinding POTD 1-10 use to be the fastest way to get to 50(60?) after like, 40, but that's probably not accurate anymore. People are still hot on squadron missions but I had everything at 50+ when it came out. That's fine for me because I thought that content was miserable to do.

staplegun fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 23, 2019

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Zack Ater posted:

I got the crown via crafting, thinking about all the second chance points I could get from mentor roulette... And then I realized I'm a bad mentor roulette mentor because idk tanks' and healers' crap well enough to feel comfortable giving advice, so I don't run it anymore and if I have the crown on I make sure it's the crafting one :v:

it's also the correct choice because it looks like a big hammer is smashing the mentor crown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Gonna throw out my wild story prediction: The WoL is actually Hydaelyn, reincarnated. I don't know how the logistics of how it will work, but that's my guess of how the story is going to shake out. Quote this post in a year when you need to take out that poser mother crystal.