Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Improbable Lobster posted:

Troops can now say gently caress

Universal Stratagem to force your opponent to also say it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’m cautiously optimistic with the 9th stuff. I run guard and was initially a bit shitted off with troops being de-emphasised and a brigade being not as useful as a CP store, but it’s looking more well rounded.

Question for the group, do we think they’re going to re-print every single 1st founding Space Marine Chapter again in 9th Ed? It feels like that was a really odd spike in the long history of codecies.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Vlex posted:

If GW is advancing the story into M42 it makes sense anyway, since eventually oldmarines Firstborn will all cross the Rubicon or die from attrition? Sooner or later all marines ought to be primaris if no more oldmarines are being produced?

Inshallah

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Return it dude, they’ll otherwise have to cancel someone else’s purchase and refund them.

Be good to each other.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
GW routinely screw up and either ship more than what was in an order, or when a small part is damaged make up for it by shipping an entire new box of mans, and the customer service is always ‘hey man our bad, enjoy your extra stuff!’

Then the one time ever they ask for someone to do the right thing, and the response after literal years of good will service is ‘no gently caress them I’m not legally required to return something I was sent in error and didn’t pay for’

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Contingency posted:

What are they going to come back with?

Probably something along the lines of

"We are covering shipping as we said in the first email, why are you being so wilfully obtuse?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

PinheadSlim posted:

I love all the advice from EU and UK goons that doesn't at all apply to the US goon. Great stuff. Just take a picture of it lol

Nah, you can not be a prick in the US as well, its an international concept.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Contingency posted:

They said the label was coming to their inbox, so I'm assuming it's a pdf shipping label. I had Amazon ship me some unasked for textbooks with an order. I reached out to Amazon CS and they were like "no problem, here's an emailed prepaid shipping label." I'm an honest guy, but when a company asks a broke college student to:
A) run out and buy a replacement inkjet cartridge to print out the label,
B) get a replacement box and packing materials,
C) drive out from the middle of nowhere to the nearest Fedex store since whatever box I have on hand won't fit in the FedEx dropoff,
and D) leave me out of pocket for everything but the shipping label.

For some reason, I then wasn't particularly willing to go out of my way for Amazon. GW made a mistake, and there's a way to not take advantage of them without them taking advantage of you. I'd say if they aren't willing to meet the guy halfway by shipping a return box, label and arranging for pickup, they don't want it back that bad.

You made that from this:

"Of course we don’t want you to be out of pocket or for this to be a lengthy awkward process (I mean...you’ve already had to read this email) We will arrange how to make this happen for you, just keep an eye out in your inbox for a shipping label from FedEx and details on next steps, coming early next week"

:stare:

JBP posted:

What the gently caress is this idiot on about?

Desperately trying to make keeping something that they aren't meant to have less morally lovely than 'I'm a selfish oval office'

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
9th Ed thread when

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think the real thing to think about is how much would you load up on anti infantry blast weapons in an all comers list? Something that is super good against Orks and Tyranids but not against most other armies isn't going to be a wild distuption for anything.

If you are loading up to tailor against a specific opponent you are playing a narrative game at that point anyway.

Battle Cannons aren't suddenly worse against MSUs tho.

They're the same as they are now, which is fine.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Simmer down, I'm not having a go at you. I was responding to your point.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

OhDearGodNo posted:

Guess we can post now that NOVA Open has been cancelled. :(

It was clearly the right choice, little crazy they waited so long.

Hopefully people back the charitable foundation heavily this year.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP posted:

I thought they weren't releasing a shitload of new codex books

All the codecies are being redone, the current ones will just work in 9th until they get their replacement.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Hixson posted:

I'm considering doing a re-paint of all my old eldar. Threw together a Mymeara tester:

Owns. Same colour scheme for infantry?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Shockeh posted:

Getting Citadel paints out of the pot and into the airbrush continues to upset me.

Beginning to think I cannot actually do this.

When people start airbrushing, this is one the revelations most of us have.

Good news tho, there's a lot of better options.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Max Wilco posted:

it'll be a pain to paint if you're not doing it in sub-assembly.

This has been a requirement pretty much since sprues appeared with half a foot, the left leg and a loincloth being one 'piece'

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

It’d be interesting to tally up all the new models released in 8th edition and see how many each faction got.

I can't remember the year, but not that long ago Space Marines were outselling all of Warhammer Fantasy Battle combined.

Games Workshop is Space Marines, Space Marines are Games Workshop.

(I'm a guard player, I'm acutely aware of the disparity).

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP posted:

I like space marine releases because all these people start acting like their rights are being trampled on.

"All the loving space marine models!"
'you finished painting that Ork army you bought 3 years ago?'
"That's not the point"

:v:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

This is dumb for a lot of reasons.

If your metric for determining whether or not a faction deserves new models hinges on players having unfinished kits, then no faction deserves new models because many players have unfinished kits.

Guy with 8000pts of grey plastic that deploys by tipping a Tupperware container onto the board spotted.

edit: oh poo poo, top of the page tax:

Yeast fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 7, 2020

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Max Wilco posted:

Apart from the airbrush, I'd also need to get a respirator, a compressor, a hose adapter (for the Patriot 105, the airbrush I was considering), set up a paint-booth of some kind, buy airbrush thinner, cleaner, etc. I'd also need to get wire and/or cork to hold each individual piece to isolate it for painting. Obviously that stuff isn't that expensive, but I'd have to figure out how to attach the bits in such a way so that I don't end up painting over areas that need to be connected. On top of all of that, I would still need to figure out how to use the airbrush properly, how to clean it properly, what to do to make sure I don't break it, where I can set up a paintbooth in our crappy shed, how to thin the paints for the airbrush, and...:pwn:

A respirator is optional, but highly recommended. I'd look at this: https://rzmask.com/collections/trademark-masks (I use 2 of these, one for airbrushing, one for woodworking, they're great!).

An airbrush can be had for very little. If you're looking at a 105 (I have one), its good, seriously consider an Iwata Eclipse tho. Similar money, waaaaaay better build quality, seals and doesn't use a special snowflake connector so you can just connect to any off the shelf compressor.

Speaking of which, don't spend big bucks on a compressor. There's almost no point. I bought a cheap compressor with a tank in 2008 and have been patiently waiting for it to do die so I can replace it ever since. Fucker is still going.

Spray booth is optional, I went with the one that's commonly installed in most human structures, its a large portal with translucent material, operates in both a closed and opened position, and I think the street term is 'window' or some such.

Max Wilco posted:

Still, I think it might be something worth investing in at some point, for priming models when the weather is bad, for putting down primer and basecoats better and easier than you can with rattlecan primer, and for whatever other stuff you can do for it. It's just that when I think through all the steps that go into it, I start thinking against it.

It's 1000% worth it. It will dramatically speed up your painting. From priming, base coating, shading and highlighting + varnishing. Airbrushing is the loving tits. It allows you to have gradations and blends that would take you literally hours to accomplish in... 90 seconds? 2 mins?

The thought of painting a 40k vehicle with an honest to goodness paintbrush is now absurd to me. Why would you do it to yourself.

Max Wilco posted:

I'd like to ask (in this post that probably should have been posted in the mini painting thread) what kind of respirator you need for an airbrush. Someone told me a vapor filter was the right kind, but I wanted to confirm that.

Anything is better than nothing.

For less than the cost of the Contrast Paint range, you can get an airbrush, compressor, flow improver, corks and cleaner. And it will be the most dramatically poignant moment in upping your painting abilities.It might seem like a daunting obstacle, but everyone I know who moved to airbrushing says the same thing 'I wish I'd done this sooner'

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Max Wilco posted:

What would you recommend for a compressor? I put together a quick list of everything to calculate the cost, and the compressor (the TC-40T, which I remember someone recommending in another thread) was $150, making it the most expensive item on the list.

Airbrush: https://spraygunner.com/badger-patriot-105-1-fine-gravity-airbrush/ $75

Compressor: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-6-hp-40-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-93657.html
This coupon: https://go.harborfreight.com/sku/25off/ brings it down to $52.50

Normal hose to Badger adapter: https://spraygunner.com/badger-airbrush-quick-coupling-with-adapter/ $12

The cleaning and other bullshit looks good from your links, price wise.

Which puts it at $184.50 all up.

If you wanted to, you could splurge and spend more on the compressor to get one with a tank, if you want it to be a bit quieter :)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
No worries at all.

Airbrushing opens up some fantastic opportunities for us as hobbyists, I strongly, strongly recommend pursuing it if you're at all interested in upskilling yourself.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ghazk posted:

Here's another pro airbrushing tip:

Holding the needle in your mouth to free up your hands during cleaning/disassembly is a great way to accidently bump the end and drive the point into the roof of your mouth.

my wife just glanced at me as a I said 'oh holy gently caress' out loud.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
got my pre-order in for Indomitus.

Have no real desire to play either marines or Necrons, but I'm pretty sure I can sell all the models inside and easily pay for the rulebook in one go.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP posted:

I ordered mine from gw as all the resellers are out. I want the marines, so those and the book are pretty much worth it and I'll get something for the Necrons.

yeah I went to preorder from my flgs, but totally sold out. So I threw cash at GW.

At least now I'll get some objective markers :v:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Indomitus sold out in 3 hours in Australia, if that’s any indication.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Stephenls posted:

I'm really curious when they're going to announce that proper starter.

It is an interesting one isn't it.

I think starting with what, the sisters box way back when that had a bunch of new models and the codex, this weird 'enthusiast' splash release is here to stay.

My guess is we get a Dark Vengeance sized starter with like, half the models from Indomitus.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Schadenboner posted:

I just hope they don't squat Elysians

I have some bad news for you.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

moths posted:

I never got a Wyvern because I couldn't figure out how to enclose the gunner platform.

That's just the Armageddon fluff. :sigh:

Old forge world manticore/hydra turret does the trick

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Shadowed Bacon posted:

That dragon looks like he's yelling at the dude to shut up.

Thank you for the genuine laugh

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Lord Ludikrous posted:

This was the first Warhammer rule book I ever bought and was really thrilled to get stuck in to the new edition.

Then I lost my job, my relationship fell apart, and I lost my home. Never played a single game of 6th in the end, and didn’t play Warhammer again until 8th edition in late 2017.

:stare:

Man, 6th ed really was the worst edition.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Lovely

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

So it looks like the Krieg army isn't... Official? Or maybe just discontinued? I'm assuming if I built a Krieg army off of forgeworld, it wouldn't be tourney legal right?

Never ever buy a Forgeworld army assuming they’ll be legal in any edition going forward.

Right now they can be played as any generic guard regiment. But be careful with their rough riders, any of their artillery and the centaur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ashcans posted:

Just bury your Cadians in the yard, then dig them up when they have naturally decomposed to the desired state.

Planets exploding doesn’t leave much to decompose.