Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I thought GW had learnt from its Ironjawz single figure pricing when they released some new kits, but $60AUS per Bigly marine character is absurd.

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The move to CAD designs meant they could put far more detail into each miniature, but also meant they moved to less posable, less customisable miniatures.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah it's not going to matter, once the first few tourneys are written we'll all be on the same page with a bunch of the rules adjustments.

It's surprising we got an FAQ so soon after the release of the rules, that's encouraging at least.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mortanis posted:

Am I missing something with the Necron Overlord? My Will Be Done giving +1 to Hit Rolls doesn't specify BS or WS, just hits. That makes my Necron Warriors basically hit on a 2+ for shooting or melee, right? That's kinda insane. Rad, but insane.

Also, am I missing anything that says the Overlord can't use it on itself? It says friendly <DYNASTY> IFANTRY unit within 6", which the Overlord is. The Aura callout seems to imply it would work, yes?

Yep.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
White/Yellow/Bone

Gold/Bronze/Copper/Brass/Tin

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Just finished a 50 player 5 round ITC tournament on the weekend, with Guard.

Came 4th, and won best painted. A couple of things that stood out to me:

- Mortal wounds are arguably too strong / too common. Both from me dealing them, or being dealt them.

- Culexus assassins are absurdly good. I managed to tarpit 4 warlords, and kill 2 of them out of 5 games.

- Brigade's are where its at. In 1750pts I have 12 re-rolls. Most of my opponents had 3-6.

- Charging Armoured sentinels with a 2+ save (with the +1save psychic ability) into units to tarpit them will never not be funny.

- Leman Russ Laser Destroyers are totally, completely, utterly useless.

- Punishers are good.

- Ratling snipers deploying after all units are setup make people freak out and divert way too much to kill them.

- Holy poo poo, Genestealers are possibly the best unit in the game.

- Hell hounds exploding on a 4+ and killing land raiders is also extremely my poo poo.

Will post pictures up once they're on the tournament's website.

Edit: Lasguns are not scary. Getting to roll dice for 144 of them in one turn and delete a mauler fiend that got too close is :getin:

Yeast fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 17, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I will openly weep if its Guard.

We haven't had new plastic infantry in 14 years

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Irate Tree posted:

Is this what it means to be a racist ham?

Ask StrikingScorpion82

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

GreenMarine posted:

I made a Redemptor for my Primaris loyalist Thousand Sons.

What are you using for your bases?

I'm about to start an army and that's exactly what I'm after.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

GreenMarine posted:

The base is:

- Slather on Armageddon Dunes, wait for it to set.
- Drybrush Hexos Palesun
- Drybrush Tyrant Skull
- Wash with Cassandora Yellow, wait to dry
- Drybrush Hexos Palesun
- Drybrush Tyrant Skull

I got the recipe out of a White Dwarf, whichever one had the 20-30 recipes for texturing paints.

That's perfect, thank you!

I'm experimenting with Vallejo and AK desert sands as well, but I love the density of yours

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Dune Crawlers with a Tech Priest Dominus near them, or, "How I stopped worrying and learnt to love ignoring them"

Incredible ability to soak up the hurt.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Zuul the Cat posted:

So i'm thinking of picking up a null-maiden rhino, a sisters of silence squad and a Culexus assassin to run with my AdMech to shut down Psykers, which have been the bane of my existence for a while.

Has anyone used them? I'm thinking of kitting out 9 of them as Vigilators and sticking those 9 and the assassin in the Rhino.

I’ve run a Culexus in a tournament list. Came 4th out of 50.

That assasin is incredible. The ultimate tar pitter. I play guard, have no combat units, and use him to reveal, and charge their warlord if they’re dumb enough to let me. He’s next to impossible to kill in combat.

The anti-psychic abilities is just a lovely addition.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Why would you bother putting the assasin in a rhino? He can setup 9”away from any enemy unit at the end of any of your movement phases.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Play guard, always be fielding a Brigade.

12 down to 11 to field an assassin? Sure.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JoshTheStampede posted:

People generally are fine with FW stuff, just not like, the really big Titans and such. The last ITC tournament banned anything PL31 or higher, I think.

Yep, the last ITC tournament I played in allowed Forge World units by approval - submit your list and wait to hear back.

The only things that were straight up banned were anything with the Titan Keyword.

I ran a leman russ laser destroyer (which is poo poo) just for fluff.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Pendent posted:

With the current Indices a lot Forgeworld stuff seems really out of whack with the rest of the game from a balance perspective. Have the big tournaments like BAO been allowing them?

A lot of Index stuff is out of whack too. GW has changed the rules what 4 times in 2 months?

I wouldn't use Forgeworld as a good yard stick right now.

I mean poo poo, the Nova Open is using rules from a book that won't be released until the end of December. It's pretty insane right now.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Naramyth posted:

Tell me about your guard list!

Sure!

Sorry about the formatting, but I don't have Battle Scrub in front of me.

This was for a 1750pt tournament. Only thing I'd change is drop the Leman Russ Laser Destroyer (it's seriously laughably bad) and replace it with a Manticore. Otherwise I love it.

In 2000pts, I'd add a Thunderbolt Heavy Fighter and call it a day.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

jadarx posted:

So what is the best way to deal with them?

jadarx posted:

run flyers to counter flyers.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

jadarx posted:

I'm not really refusing to use flyers. I just don't think they fit the scale of the game and would prefer not to run them. But that ship has long since sailed it seems.

The same could be said about psykers.

Don't take them and see what happens when you have no counter to an entire phase of the game.

There's nothing wrong with flyers, they're part of every army. In addition, when you play someone who doesn't have one - it's even easier.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

General Olloth posted:

There are two entire armies without any psykers though. :confused:

I'm talking more armies that have the option, choose not to use them, then complain when they get done over by that unit type (psyker/flyer).

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Pacific North West goons:

I'm travelling to Portland and Seattle in a few days from Australia, and need to buy a bunch of 40K stuff because, well, cheap.

Are there any good independent stockists in Oregon that you can recommend for me to buy from?

Cheers

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

panascope posted:

Guardian Games is basically the go-to in Portland.

Looks perfect, thanks!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Sex Cannon posted:

Rumors on Faeit say that there's an incoming Steel legion and Ork release. As a guy with a ton of old Steel Legion guys, this makes me very anxious.

You and me both brother.

Still, there will always be a place for the metals.

Right?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

goose willis posted:

What exactly are they saying because I'm looking at this multiple times and I still don't get it

Literally before you make your very first unit move, do this.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

goose willis posted:

Can I feel no pain a plasma self-death?

I'm almost positive you can't. You don't take a wound from a plasma mishap, you're just removed from play.

There might be some ability that allows it, but I can't think of one.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

goose willis posted:

Yes but I thought that just meant no wound or save rolls

Just read the rule. It doesn't mention wounds or saves, rules as written you pick the model up and remove it from the table. No dice rolls necessary.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I like that forgeworld units make it into tournaments, and I hope their continued use means they get ‘chapter approved’ and FAQd quickly like the other stuff is.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Corrode posted:

No? Index + Chapter Approved if you haven't had a Codex yet, otherwise Codex.

why do you bother replying.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Sisko posted:

The only company whos mini's I've liked (design wise not always taste wise) is Wyrd's Malifaux line and even then some of their sprues are horrendous and turned me off to that game in a big way.

I've been in FLGs before and looked at Malifaux's stuff, but the painted artwork front / 3D CAD sculpt on the back approach is loving weird for retail packaging. GW gets it right with 'here is a picture of the actual painted models'

Especially when it's a one off purchase you're trying to make and you're not familiar with the line.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Black_Nexus posted:

So I've been playing quite a few games with my sisters of battle, and I was wondering if anyone here has used Ogryns at all?

I am trying to figure out if I should do a unit of 3 Bullgryns in a vehicle + a priest, or if I should footslog a unit of 6 up with a priest.

I use 3 + a priest in a Chimera as a plug for my lines when playing guard. Pretty good. I'm waiting for the Guard Codex before getting anymore, the armament at the moment I predict is a typo that gets fixed. (The ability to mix and match between their combat weapons/shields).

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Black_Nexus posted:

Yeah I was thinking of using a Taurox, mostly because I got one in the get started box and I don't feel like having my storm troopers ride in one when they can deep strike wherever the gently caress they want

I'll probably end up moving them to a Taurox one I get some painted up too. I'm just lazy.

I find foot slogging Ogryns get poo poo on, mainly because they're such an easy target for any multi damage firepower.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I get a bit eye roll-y when someone with a blue army that has these big white U shapes all over it plays with White Scar rules or are suddenly Salmanders depending on the edition. But whatevs.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Sex Cannon posted:

It will soak up shots because people are terrified of it, but yeah, if there's no infantry within 24", it's way less useful. The best Russ tank is the MBT, in my opinion. 2nd best is the Exterminator.

And that's not saying much.

I'd take a punisher if I had to have a Russ, but almost every other heavy option is better.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Working on test paint schemes for my new Guard army, left or right?

Yeast fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 7, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Man I play metal armies and even I find the monopose plastic stuff disappointing.

So many opportunities squandered.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

For_Great_Justice posted:

Also honest question. In the rules or in an faq is there something about psykers in an army not being able to cast the same spells other than smite? My opponent yesterday indicated I could not have my D prince an sorcerer both cast warp time.

Yep

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The warhammer table faces its final battle.

Please stay safe, if that’s for Irma. :ohdear:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
So God drat excited for the Armageddon rules.

Might actually field all these loving Chimeras. This pic was from a year ago, and now I've got twice as many!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Punishers becoming heavy 40 just makes them even better. So so good.

My steel legion will probably drag along an executioner now. Heavy 6 plasma cannon and two sponsons that don’t suffer movement penalties either. Well hot drat.

God damnit please preview the loving Armageddon boys this week. I can’t wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BULBASAUR posted:

They're still missing the best IG faction:

Firstly: how dare you

And nah, they’ve got an entire army list in Imperial Armour.