Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

goose willis posted:

Yeah man I agree with you on that one, smite is a very useful power but it's also bland as hell. Obviously it was a mess to go through the old psychic system of 7th edition, and a lot of powers were just copies of each other, but the fluff was so much better and they did a better job of hiding the repeat powers from you, because they all had cool names and nice blurbs about what they did. Smite is so boring, it's just "MY PSYKER THINKS REALLY HARD ABOUT YOU AND YOU TAKE DAMAGE"

They can't balance real spells, so you get smite instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Those are some nice red space men.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

SRM posted:

I was gonna do Armies on Parade, but the event started at noon, with votes being cast through tge day and ran til 7:30pm. I can kill time in a game store, I'm often happy to, but 7 and a half hours is a bit much. I decided to ham at a friend's house and drink beer instead, which was the right move. Somebody posted upthread about there not being any more Armies on Parade trophies; is that true? I love the silver one I got last year and was hoping for a gold.

you don't have to sit there with your board for 7 hours. You just need to drop it off and come back.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

Still planning out my DG purchases here for my upcoming payday and I had some follow up questions after reading over some of the rules and tactics articles:

-I'm overwhelmed by Plague Marine options here, are there some standard builds I should be looking at here? It was suggested that I keep the unit small to help with morale on one of the articles I read but how seriously should I take that?
-How important are the Daemon units? Plaguebearers seem superfluous and Plague Drones seem pretty good in such a slow army but thats just my gut take.
-Is there still tank shock in 8th? I've got some old editions floating around from a short live career in 7th and admiration from a distance in 5th.
-wtf is power?

1. You either run them as 5 with max special weapons, or go full 20 and try to make use of the grenade strategem combo.
2. Almost all of the demons are not that useful. The Plaguebearers (and Nurglings) are the only really good ones IMO, but they're a tarpit unit. If you take PB in a 2nd chaos detachment then you won't be using Poxwalkers. PB are much, much better than Poxwalkers if both are completely unsupported. However, Poxwalkers are real good with Typhus + spell buffs.
3. No
4. Alternate to points.

I think best way to start DG is just get the DI starter, then trade the Primaris half for a second DG half. It is an extremely good start to a force. After that all of the following can be useful.
Mortarion
Typhus
2 Demon Princes
2 Plagueburst Crawlers
1 Biologius Putrifier

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Tell me the story about how you lovingly painted the Titan's head, then decided "gently caress this".

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

I painted a gross mans for army of neckbeards.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

I don't care about WYSIWYG, but I need to be able to tell that X, Y, and Z are different unit/models/weapons without referencing your personal legend.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

These promotional video for 40k quest are amazingly well done. GW has gotten really good at creating hype for their products.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I actually haven't even gotten to field Morty once - I finished assembling him after a 40K tournament I went to in... July? No wargaming in August, and then in September I joined a Kill Team league :(

I'm hoping after the KT league my store starts a 40K Slow Grow that I can get in on, then I'll totally look into fixing him. But until then...

I magnetized my Mortarions wings. Not a guide per se, but I got some images showing how I did it here - https://imgur.com/a/omxel

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Honestly I think named characters are silly too.

What if its a mirror match?

Better to just have all dudes be generic "chapter master" or whatever and you each improv your own guy.

But people want to field Gulliman so here we are.

Even in games of Epic it doesn't make sense to field Gulliman at that scale.

What if two Imperium armies fight each other? What if my Blood Angels are painted BLUE? Who loving cares. It is not better to have boring old generic guys. gently caress that. You want to play that way? Go for it. I want to play with Typhus and Mortarion fighting Girlyman and the other corpse worshipers. This is pure fantasy. 99% of my enjoyment is seeing cool models of 40k characters smashing on a table. Better for people to play whichever models they want, how they want, in anyway they please without needing to check if it adheres to the standard of some other neckbeard. None of this crap makes sense. So what?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude, chill. And by that same logic, this is pure fantasy, so let me have it my way. Its just two differing opinions. There's no inherent better way. Your way is how you would prefer it, my way is how I would prefer it.

That's all I was saying. "I don't like having named characters". You don't have to take it so personally dude. So what?

I'm not actually mad, don't worry. Lots of the 'no named' stuff guys really push that other people need to conform to their vision, and if they don't or ruining the experience somehow. I'm all for people doing whatever they hell they want and playing in whatever way they enjoy best. I just get annoyed when people move from that to insisted others should conform to their vision.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

I really like the Death Guard/Tau conflict and I hope its expanded upon in the future. Its not quite the "Unstoppable force vs Immovable object" that the Octarius war is but there is definitely something cool about the champions of hope facing down forces dedicated to the literal god of despair. Plus its yet one more conflict that doesn't involve the Imperium.

I'm a bit confused. What god of despair to the Tau worship?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Cessna posted:

Compared to these guys, sorta, yeah:

Nurgle followers are literally the only people who are happy and joyful in the entire universe.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Orks are pretty close.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

These videos for Blackstone are loving amazing. I had no interest in this product, none. Now after watching these videos everyday I am thirsty AF for more info.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Captain No-mates posted:

As someone who's been working on a Tau army for the past few months, I was wondering why does everyone hate Tau?

Have I accidentally picked a powergamer army?

Anime
Shooty
Unfun to play against
Anime

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

I make the same facial expression when pinching a big loaf.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Dang, the models look so good, and the game components look so loving bad.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Foul Ole Ron posted:

You sir, are utterly and completely wrong.

You challanged me with little cited evidence and with a fragrant disregard for civility and common sense.

I would insult you, but your own ineptitude is already doing a fine job of that.

Good day to you.

I'll have my vindication to go please.

Godspeed you Noble creature.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Played Blackstone today. Had a lot of fun playing, the random stuff type game is fun with a group. Gameplay is pretty basic, if a person is controlling Chaos and playing to win you can expect people to die every map. Heroes you can play as are all quite different and are biggest factor in why the game is actually fun. Quite a few random events that will kill a guy without much you can do. Minis are very nice.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

This is a dude who knows how to party.

What are some Death Guard schemes beyond "Death Guard Green and bronze" or "Dirty-rear end bone and bronze"? I got my Plague Champion sub-assemblied up and want to do a bit more planning in the painting than I normally do.

I like the green and bronze stuff when they're actually green and bronze and not just all color-tinted versions of brown.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

So "Cartoony boogers meant to make you laugh more than wretch" green.

I'm definitely gonna have to spend time considering what route I take on my gross sons, and probably get new paint. This is good, though, since I'm still working through my Guardsmen KT.

Jesus, rough crowd.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Nice alien man boyz

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

General community question. So far my experience has been the huge majority of games in my area are organized in a Facebook group in advance. People show up, play their game then leave. Is this a new fangled kids normal thing or just the way this area is? There's not much actual gaming community in the area, just a series of Facebook messages and then mostly empty stores and it's kind of depressing my desire to play.

I don't understand this gripe. I've been in both types of communities. Going to a store and just waiting, hoping someone shows up to play is a complete waste of time. The community *is* on facebook, it thrives there. If it wasn't for facebook, I would have never found the local communities for 40k, AoS, Infinity, Warmachine, etc. You just find Game X local FB group, join, and post asking for a game. It's fabulous. Lots of stores typically have a night dedicated to Game X, and between all the stores you can easily play your favorite game 3+ times a week.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Surprisingly Bitter posted:

My plague marine unit usually varies in size, as I use it to fill in weird points amounts. But I usually go power fist on the sergeant, and a plasma gun or two. Sinking a ton of points in special weapons to them is something I'm just not comfy with right now, sometimes I shave the power fist.

Blightlords, I've been having a lot of success using the new bolter rules with a stack of combi bolters. In a 5 terminator unit, I'm giving my Sergeant the Balesword, one terminator gets a flail, and the last 3 just have Axes and Combi-Bolters. It's a lot of bolter fire and solid close combat for 209 points.

I'm not an expert at 40k, but every DG list I've played I've found the plague marines to be the worst part of my army. They hit like pillows for their points, even 5 man squads with double plasma were barely mediocre. I really wish they would make MEQ units actually be good.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

AoS seems to have no problem making Armies generic troop be useful and something you want to field. I don't understand why 40k is so bad it. Best way to play CSM or DG shouldn't involve taking zero marines.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

How good are the Horus Heresy Audiobooks, both in terms of the actual book and the narration? I listen to a lot of audiobooks and these cost considerably more than average, but I'm willing to splurge.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Mef989 posted:

I've been working through them on my commute and occasionally when I'm painting, along with some 40k books interspersed. There are some books that are great and some that I powered through to be a completionist. Like the other poster said you'll probably retain more reading them by reading them, but they are still enjoyable. What makes them difficult for me is that a lot of the names are sometimes hard to follow since they are all very pseudogothic. I also very much dislike Johnathan Banks(?) as a narrator though (guy who reads dark imperium)

Don't really care about retaining it, this is disposable fuel for painting for me. Best case is forgetting it to a point I can listen to it again...

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

queef anxiety posted:

cultists aren't overcosted especially after having legion traits removed then im down for a car park brawl

Good riddance. gently caress cultists.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

queef anxiety posted:

yeah cultist spam is obnoxious and they should never of had legion traits but what else are you meant to do in competitive play for chaos troop choices. GW should have reworked CSM ages ago instead of nerfing cultists repeatedly like they were the cause of the problem

I agree with you, but I can't feel bad about cultists getting the axe. My heart is incapable.

If they only way to see basic marines get played is by destroying every other option then I am happy to see the world burn.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Half the fun of building an army is creating incredibly intricate and dramatic fluff that no one else will ever know about

You do you man, enjoy it. That kinda thing holds no interest for me personally.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Quidthulhu posted:

I have like 4 different armies I've started and I am eyeing starting at least two more and just bought the AoS core book and still haven't played a single game of the multiple miniature based things I've been painting for the last two years

is this how the hobby works?

40 is about as fun to play as tic tac toe. Its nothing more than an excuse to force people to look at your models for 3 hours. So yeah, this is how the hobby works.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Soviet Commubot posted:

I'm really grateful for this thread because on the rare occasions I venture out into the wider 40k internet this is the kind of poo poo I find.

I used to be in some 40k Death Guard groups, but after the 400th horrific post I wised up and left.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

Is that supposed to be bare leg? Jump pack + loincloth + skipped leg armor day is an... empowered fashion choice..

Really don't think so. It's like a perfect cylinder. I'm sure that won't stop any HAMS though.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Booley posted:

How much are they charging? A $5/day fee seems entirely reasonable to me, you're there using their space and terrain.

Reasonable != good business strategy. You really think people gonna flock to place that charges you to play? That never works is and usually followed by a going out of business sale. There are far better ways to do this that accomplish the same thing, like say....running a tournament or event. The best way to get people to buy from you in retail is getting them to play at your store, not discouraging them to do so. There are always going to be some cheapskates who order online so they can save an extra $3, but even those guys contribute to building a local community for whatever game you are trying to sell.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

I've seen a fair number of reviews for Apoc now, and they're all super binary. Seen a bunch of people say Apoc is the best, seen a bunch of people saying it is complete trash and want their money back. What is so divisive about it?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Really hope they made the gameplay better. I love everything about 40k, except the actual game. The models are amazing, the lore is great, there is a thriving local community, but everytime I play a game I find it dull. Fingers crossed they finally figured it out.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Don't get your hopes up. Eighth is the most successful version of the game in ages. They aren't going to make major changes like dice alterations or dumping re-rolls. The changes will be tweaks, fiddles, and polish. If you don't like the core gameplay of 8th edition 40k, you aren't going to like it in 9th. It's going to be about the same.

IMO, this logic is idiotic. 8th is the most successful because its the least poo poo one so far. That isn't an argument against removing all the unfiltered poo poo that still exists. However, I agree with your overall conclusion.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

I think they mentioned at some point it takes around 3 years or so.

I really, really doubt it is that long. Unless you're counting time of artist sketches sitting on a desk doing nothing. I'd bet it is more like 9-15 months.
Drip feeding some stuff can be a good idea. But when you're releasing a new flagship product, you really do need to come out with a critical mass all at once. You want people to see a bunch of new boxes and make big purchases when you have this level of campaign behind it. Also, they're way behind schedule due to Covid and probably looking for ways to catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

spectralent posted:

It's wild that painting pasty white people is the default given how much easier black and brown skin is to paint when every single motherfucking white skin tone paint is runny, thin, watery bullshit.

I find it much, much easier to get Caucasian skin tones to display quality than dark skin tones. It is really difficult to highlight dark skin enough to be visually interesting, without it becoming something inhuman. Its not impossible, but it isn't easier.