Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

notaspy posted:

is there such thing as 40k shotguns?

Tau breachers have one, which is thematic and cool as being a cqc oriented unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

apparently some nazi bitch idiot who won't shut up

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Professor Shark posted:

Anyone have a link for the story?

During all the BLM caused "we here at brand want to tell you how we're in solidarity with the current topic" posts from various companies, GW posted a good response basically telling nazis they're not welcome

https://twitter.com/warcomteam/status/1268665798467432449

this arch dude is mad about it.

That's really it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Magnetizing as much as you can on models is awesome and I highly recommend it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

bagrada posted:

I've been looking through my old models. Are hammerheads still a bad idea for tau? Both times I fielded mine in the mid 00s it got blown off the table by lascannons early on. It got to fire and miss once. As a sci fi tank nerd I think the railgun version is awesome as hell but can see why drat near everything is better in your heavy support slot, especially now that there are riptides and other shiny new toys that can put out more shots while being more survivable.

edit: found a handy goonhammer 8th guide and that answers my question well enough for now.

Vehicles are better in the new edition now that you can't just instantly explode to a lucky lascannon shot, so hammerheads are good and cool now. Also vehicles can move and shoot again which is handy.

Even though the railgun looks so badass, the ion cannon seems to be the way to go now. Idk if one is blast while the other isn't so take that with some salt until more news comes out.

But like you said, for the points it's better to use riptides and broadsides and they are a lot better for board control too

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That reminds me, the best way to unglue superglue (cyannoacrillic or whatever, not plastic glue) is to freeze it and break when cold, right?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It's the expansion and contraction that weakens the bond, throw in the freezer overnight and then hit it immediately with a hair dryer to make it even easier to pop apart.

Ah ok, that makes more sense. I thought the cold inactivated something in the glue

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kitchner posted:

Don't worry about 500 points lists too much, it's much more rock, paper, scissors as no one can field an effective combined arms type approach thats worth anything. I would just pick units that you think are cool and are generally considered good and don't worry about it.

So an ethereal, a unit of fire warriors, and a riptide. Got it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm having some trouble interpreting the 8th/9th rules: so while it says on transports that they can take up to X models, it doesn't say anything about units. So in a 12 capacity transport can you take 2 different 5man squads combined with 2 different characters for a total of 12 models but 4 "units" ?

If so can you also only disembark a squad at a time? IE turn the transport into a bus?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kitchner posted:

It says models because you can take multiple units. For example, a Chimera can transport 12 models, so it can transport 10 Guardsmen, a Commissar, and a Company Commander. A Valkyrie can also transport 12 (I think) So you could take two five man squads of Scions, a Tempestor Prime, and a Primaris Psyker. The Stormsurge can carry 40 models, so it can carry 4 Infantry Squads.

In terms of disembarking, if you have the space, everyone can disembark in the same turn but you need to place them one at a time to ensure they can actually fit within the 3" bubble around the transport.

Hell yeah that's a cool change and I figured it was like that because of the change to characters.

I'm honestly just thinking of having a devilfish act as a bus and use it to drop off different squads of fire warriors (or breachers) to different objectives or drop both off at the same objective then provide LOS blocking.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kitchner posted:

Yeah, changed from the entire unit being within 3" to every model must be entire within 3".

I've been watching a lot of Tabletop Titans who seem very good and their battle reports are very watchable (as someone who normally doesn't watch them) and they seem keen on using transports to basically sit on objectives with troops inside them, and act as screening for character now the rules have changed.

However for Tau basically they are still of the view that the best way to go is triple rip tides and commanders. I think in both the lists they do they go for foot slogging Breachers, using the Commanders and Riptides to sort of clear the way a bit and hold the middle until the Breachers catch up with Ob Sec.

They did a good video on their Tau thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVH4WgEQXyc

That's entirely where I got the idea from, mostly from the tau v fists game. My big idea is to get troops onto points quick then either have the devilfish tank shots or have the devilfish LOS a disembarked squad as much as possible. Probably like two 5man squads with a guardian drone each (or just one, IDK) that then get backed up by shield drones that float alongside for support.

I also like the idea they mentioned one game when a viewer asked about using the ghostkeel as a tank hunter with fusion blasters. It'd be thematic to have that guy providing support to a team of stealth suits that camp out on a point round 1, since stealth suits get obsec as they're infantry.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kitchner posted:

There is, but every model dies on a 1 or 2 on a D6. They also can't charge or heroically intervene. You can also only use it when the transport model is destroyed.

So not that great with the drop pod sorry!

The interesting strat with a Drop Pod is "Desperate Breakout" which is you fall back from combat over models, and if you can't end up more than 1" from an enemy you die. If your enemy has assaulted a drop pod to protect themselves from shooting you could use that and essentially blow it up.

Unless there's something I'm missing I thought Stealth Suits are Elites and Ob Sec only applies to troops?

Oh that makes more sense. I thought all infantry counted, not just troops.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

tangy yet delightful posted:

Are there any recommended 40K-esque bases, things to stick on bases, etc that are sold by third parties that people like to buy? Not looking for anything specific just wanting to browse stuff ya'll like.

The old school method was to just glue various aquarium things to the base and maybe paint over them. However vallejo sells a lot of cool stuff (putties, effects, etc) to make bases with. I'm in love with the snow effect.

Now I kinda wanna make a game board out of aquarium decorations as I went to double check prices on aquarium gravel and saw that you can basically get all the houses from spongebob for like $20 total and they even seem to be the right scale too

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/penn-plax-spongebob-krusty-krab-aquarium-ornament

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MRLOLAST posted:

+1 for aquarium decorations, roots , houses , funky statues and plastic plants.

Just cause it's the grimdark 41st millennium doesn't mean you can't be on a neon technicolor undersea adventure to steal the krabby patty secret formula

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eej posted:

Yup, before it was just two shots from the Breacher (in the highest damage bracket) but now everyone's got free Pulse Pistols

Wait so breachers get free pistols now? Cool, I like the way those look

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If not picking up from a store, it gets shipped out friday?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I said come in! posted:

For the admech pre-orders, my stuff was shipped out Friday. GW in the U.S. is using FedEx who is currently a dumpster fire for delivering stuff on time, so its going to be different for everyone depending on where you live.

I forgot I had an account when I ordered so IDK how to check on shipping status. Oh well, i'll just kinda wait patiently because it's not like i'm gonna play any games very soon and I only bought the books.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I said come in! posted:

You'll get an e-mail with the tracking number.

Sounds like it hasn't shipped then. Cool.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

RagnarokAngel posted:

but then social distancing wrecked a lot of games.

I wonder how many people are going to come out of this with fully painted armies

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Z the IVth posted:

Buy some small lead shot. Fill the base with superglue and fill it with shot.

Fishing weights also work pretty well.

But I'm putting magnets in my bases as per that one goon suggestion as it both weighs the base down, lowering the center of gravity on the model, and makes things easy to transport using a baking tray

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

^burtle posted:

Happy Release Day!

Experimented with some reds and basing on these guys:

Could use some more touch ups but I’m trying to teach myself acceptance. I think they look okay for my second batch ever though.

Hell yeah dude lookin good. On your next batch pay attention to some of the mold lines and if you can spring for it, drill a hole for the gun barrels using a pin vice, which is like a tiny hand drill. If you already have drill bits and trust your dexterity you can just straight up try to drill them out like a barbarian but the pin vice helps a lot. It's also super useful for magnetizing stuff later which means that you can optimize a box of dudes or a vehicle by magnetizing the options on it so you can choose to use all of them as opposed to being locked into one loadout by finalizing it with super glue. As an extreme example, on those boyz you could magenetize the arms and swap out choppas for shootas so you're not stuck with one loadout each for them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Captain Magic posted:

why have Mecha suits if you’re not gonna Mecha duel with stupid beam swords?

I do wonder why there's not a sword and board riptide variant from forgeworld or something for this reason

Technically the only thing that may qualify is commander farsight, who really needs a plastic model some time

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SerCypher posted:

Just get the 8 because they're cool.

They all move at three times the normal speed. Farsight even has an ability called 'Way of the Blade' lol.

hell yeah that looks sick

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Mine just shipped :)

But I just got rulebooks, not a box.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Buttholes and armpits are the most annoying things to paint

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Strobe posted:

Stop giving Arch views, traffic, or a platform even if you think you're mocking him.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Replied to this in your PMs. Thank you for the opportunity!

Edit: holy hell I'm stupid. I misread the first part of that that said Necron half. Either way, the message stands. I've never given much thought as to how I'd paint necrons, but I think a scheme like this would be cool as gently caress to have:

This would look sick as hell in any color other than red because it looks like they're branded for Gamers

Also it looks super easy to do of just BLACK then put white on the recesses and kinda fill it in lightly with a glaze/wash then do a little OSL if you're feeling fancy.

Edit, I would do like a toxic green or a really electric blue for it but that's what I like

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Clawtopsy posted:

You could do it quite effectively with the new glow technical I imagine

Yeah!

I do it with the glaze paints or nihilakh oxide because that's what I have. It's super easy and I'm really proud of the results. I just learned that they discontinued the glaze line but yeah I'm pretty sure you can get super similar results by thinning contrast paint with water or acrylic medium, then putting in a tiny bit into a white painted recess so the capillary action keeps most of the paint in the corner and a little layer stretched over the middle

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sab669 posted:

That hurt to read

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Schadenboner posted:

That loving Defiler. :drat:

I block youtube comments via plugin.

:shrug:

You can just, you know, not scroll down. I don't get why you have a specific plugin for that

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cooked Auto posted:

Just grab an extension that puts the video window into windowed fullscreen and you don't have to bother about seeing the comments unless you're foolish enough to scroll down.

You don't even need that, just put the screen in theater mode and the comments arent' even visible, and live chat is barely visible and easily hidden with a button click

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think that head you used is from a Venerable Dreadnought? Looks good, IMO.

I think it's actually just a skull from the regular space wolves marine pack that's glued onto a random helmet that I can't see

top left, next to the arm with the runesword. I also like the kitbash on that guy's sword

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Alokgen posted:

Finished the Overlord this evening. *beep boop*

hell yeah that looks sick

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eej posted:

Paint UV reactive markings on your models then find the right intensity of UV LED to light up a radius of 6" and stick em on all your Captains and lords

i don't want to do this on the off chance my captain gets within 6" of that one neckbeard's sisters of battle.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MRLOLAST posted:

I have painted around 1500k SoB during the last months with 0 games.What evil faction should I build so I atleast can have small games vs my wife ? I really like the look of the GsC and total recall vibe I get from them and they have psykers. But they seem very hard and expensive to collect and play.
Requirements:
Must be cool
Have psykers
Not be too expensive
Have the possibility to not just be dudes.
Evil/ not empire.

Eldar?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kitchner posted:

GW dropping surprisingly harsh truth bombs in their new player article:

quote:

Well, guess what? You’re probably right. That’s how we all started, but you’re not going to be rubbish for long!

You missed the important part of that message.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is there a blood bowl thread because holy moly the new models look super cool. I'm enamored with the goofy spooky team and really want to paint up the fancy lad team in spanish heraldy as well as paint up the orc team like a certain spanish soccer team.

I'm curious if the game itself is fun because it could be a fun beer and pizza game to play with friends after I paint everything up.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Schadenboner posted:

I was going to use Janus Drake to make my "Inquisitor not-Flashman" but this is making me rethink:

Shouldn't be all that complicated to modify that football into an alien skull, hell yeah dude do it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verisimilidude posted:

After a lot of research and hemming and hawing, I finally decided that the correct army for me is the Orks! I like the randomness they offer, the shootiness, and the idea of having a huge swarm of dudes who kick a ton of rear end.

Just ordered some Boyz, Gretchin, and a box of Nobz to get me started, as well as some contrast paint for making skin easier!

Orks honestly look like the most fun army. Fun to build, in that you can come up with hilarious kitbashing like the Mr. Potato Head Stompa. Fun to paint, in that you can basically do whatever the hell you want for paint schemes, and can be as sloppy or as clean as you want. And fun to play in that they're a wave of hooligans that just wanna get in a good dust up.

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Deleter posted:

Any suggestions and feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Farsight looks super strong this edition as ranges are much shorter so you're pretty likely to be within the free markerlight range.

Oh and for devilfish flying stands, have you considered using magnets? 1cm wide magnets are pretty stable and strong but not permanently attached. I'm currently magnetizing all my drones for their flight stands too.

Maybe ditch the crisis team for a stealthsuit team supported by a fusion ghostkeel? The fusion commander can hang around with them while the ion commander floats with one of the devilfish teams. IDK how effective this strat is, but there's a strat where you can basically leapfrog the stealthsuit team behind the ghostkeel. It seems like a strong idea for getting them out of charge range in case something punchy goes near them. Though stealth suits aren't as good at shooting as a veteran crisis team, they're far less of a points investment and are pretty decent at camping out on a point.

So for 1000 points you can run a real cqc/point hold team of:
3xMissile(or fusion) Coldstar, shield gen upgrade. 2 shield drones
2x10man breachers with shield drone and guardian drone. Riding in barebones devilfish
4man stealthsuit squad. 2 shield drones
Ghostkeel with fusion collider and fusion blasters. Shield gen upgrade (comes with two stealth drones for extra free wounds)
4x shield drones

Edit: you can ditch the two devilfish for another commander

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 8, 2020