Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
So I'm inexorably sliding down the slippery slope that is wargaming, and I'm considering giving 40k a try. I've heard the new edition simplifies things in a good way and makes it more approachable, but I haven't actually reviewed the rules yet. Anyway, is there anywhere I can go to get a general sense of how each army plays? It's kind of a big investment to get started on 40k (compounded by the fact that neither of the armies in the starter box really appeal to me aesthetically) and GW has pretty much nothing aside from fluff on their site.

Side question: I really like the look and lore of the Thousand Sons, but it sucks that they don't have a Start Collecting box. I also have no idea if psyker ability is actually any good in the game. Are they a viable army, and if so what would be a good list to build a new army? Is this stuff I could find cheap on eBay? Also, could I combine Thousand Sons units with the vanilla Chaos Space Marines start collecting box to save some $$, and still have something that plays well?

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Ugh, I just can't make up my mind about which army to start with. I could really use some help from people with more experience. Here are my criteria, in order of importance:

1. Looks cool and is fun to paint
2. Sweet lore and fluff
3. A faction that can be competitive. Consistently losing isn't fun no matter how neat your mans are.
4. Not a horde playstyle army (see #1)
5. $$$ to field a decent army is not too high

Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Thousand Sons - the models I think look coolest, and they have the best fluff I've encountered so far. However, I don't really care for Tzaangors and it looks like in the current meta that's like 90% of their force. They also seem like they might be one of the more expensive armies and they don't have any GW value boxes.

Deathwatch - I like the idea behind the Deathwatch, and the diversity of models is very appealing. They also have a Start Collecting! box, which is nice. I don't really know a lot about how they play or how competitive they might be.

Dark Angels - same as Deathwatch, except no Start Collecting! box. I guess I could buy a vanilla space marines box and upgrade/convert it though? I don't really understand how any of that works.

Drukhari - I mean, sadistic space pirates.

??? - are my criteria screaming towards an army I haven't listed here? Suggestions welcome.

Please make up my mind for me.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Hey so is it still ok to use Drukhari and Craftworlds in the same army? I was reading something that alluded to an FAQ or rules change which messed with one's ability to do so, but I don't understand the battle-forged rules well enough yet to figure it out on my own.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

ANAmal.net posted:

Does anyone want my old Blood Ravens?

I don't give a poo poo about shipping costs as long as you're in the US. They aren't painted great, but they are painted:

I'm moving house in two weeks, and if no one wants these they're getting dumpstered (which is what they deserve), but I'd rather they go to someone who will actually play them, which I won't.

Whoa, I would be very into this if Duct Tape's friend with a newborn doesn't pan out. I have never played 40k before and have been waffling on what army to start with for a couple weeks now. Lately I've been very close to pulling the trigger on the beginnings of a blood angels army, but a training wheels army sent straight to my door would be awesome.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Are there any recommended bits sites with reasonable shipping within the US, or do most people just ebay it up?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I'm still getting started with 40k and am currently in the process of building a Blood Angels army, but I just got a bonus at work and in the grand tradition of acquiring a huge surplus of unpainted mans, I'm thinking about :homebrew: on some of these warlads everyone's been talking about. Having not been totally following the knight codex stuff and detachment rules and whatnot, can someone give me a quick tl;dr the best way to supplement a BA battalion with some stompy bots? Some warglaives seem like they'd be pretty synergistic but I haven't really been paying attention to what all the different big guys do.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

For_Great_Justice posted:

The bare chests leave you looking more at the limbs an then everything looks real off. Its less the view of the whole an more the parts.

Yeah I agree with this. The absence of the aquila just leaves a big flat area that makes the models seem disjointed. It might look different when they're painted though, I dunno.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

With all this BA talk, it seems like a good time to ask for some advice on how I should fill out my battalion. I've never played 40k before and have mostly been buying models that look cool, but I want to be building in a direction that makes a functional army with some good synergies. Here's what I have locked and loaded so far:

HQ:
1: Slamguinius (129 pts)
2: ???

Troops:
1: Intercessor Squad w Sergeant, bolt rifles (90 pts)
2: Intercessor Squad w Sergeant, bolt rifles (90 pts)
3: ???

Elites:
1: 5-man DC Squad w Jump Packs - 4x bolter and chainsword, 1x Thunder hammer (116 pts)
2: 4x Sanguinary Guard - Death masks, Angelus boltgun and Encarmine Sword

Here's the other models I have, but haven't figured out if/how they fit into the battalion or how to kit them out:
1x Blood Angels Dread - unbuiilt so can kit out as Furioso/DC/Lib
1x Sanguinary Guard model - can go into Sanguinary Guard squad or get kitted out as an Ancient
1x Primaris Captain w Power sword and boltstorm gauntlet
2x Primaris Lieutenants - 1 w power sword and bolt pistol, the other auto bolt rifle and bolt pistol
1x Primaris Ancient w bolt rifle and pistol
1x 3-man Inceptor Squad w assault bolters
1x 5-man Hellblaster Squad w plasma incinerators and bolt pistols

So obviously I can paint up all the primaris and just jam them into the army for now, but I'm more looking for a road map of what I should look to add to make an army that is fun and competitive. Currently thinking about going Lib Dread as my second HQ, but also keeping my eyes out for a cheap Mephiston and/or Lemartes on ebay. For my third troop choice should I grab some scouts with sniper rifles? Also thinking I should get one more Sanguinary Guard squad and 2 more DC, but wondering if bolters and chainswords/angelus and swords is best or if I should mix in some other stuff. Is it worth it to magnetize these guys at all? Do I need transport...razorbacks?

Basically I have all this poo poo and no idea how to use it...help me get a little more organized and purposeful with future purchases.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Testing out some possible paint colors for my blood angels, any opinions on this?

This is VMC silver with two coats of FW flame red ink. Still getting the hang of the airbrush so the coats are a little rough. In practice I'd try to keep the ink coats a bit thinner to get a tad more metallic look out of it. I'm also thinking about testing over gold, but my guess is that will come out too brown.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Booley posted:

That was probably me. I should have a candy red castellan done by this weekend too

Oh yeah! Would you mind sharing how you achieved that gorgeous red from the knight in your avatar?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Ah, great advice, thanks guys! I have been a bit spendy lately so I may experiment with mixing the ink with some gloss medium or maybe even the metallic medium I have lying around to see what that does. I could also play with Blood for the Blood God which seems similar to Tamiya clear red, although it might have other gunk in it that would make that a bad idea. At the end of the day, a slightly mor ematte finish isn't the end of the world, as I feel like an ultra-gloss candycoat might get a little overwhelming on a whole army.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Cross-posting babby's first space marine/40k model. It begins!

Mikey Purp posted:

First intercessor done! Took me about 5 hours, which isn't too bad I guess. It does make this dark imperium box seem like a loooong journey though.

Still needs a base, but I think I'll do the whole squad first and then base them all at once.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the encouragement!

Pendent posted:

I said if there and I’ll say it here- that’s better than what I’ve been putting out and I’ve been doing this for a bit. You did some great work.

I've admired your army on this dead gay forum for a while, so that's high praise! Hopefully you can share some tips on how to play these guys once they're all painted up.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 9, 2018

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Sweet, hopefully rubric marines are actually viable in KT. I ended up going with BA as my 40k army because I don't care for tzangor models, but it would be awesome if I could play TS in KT without tzangor blobs being essential to win.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I could aspire to have babby's first 1000 point army finished by the end of the month, but I value my marriage.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

How's pushing dullcote with an airbrush? Is it worth doing or better off just buying cans?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Just started a dedicated mini painting IG - https://www.instagram.com/milehighminiatures/

Nothing on there right now but I'll be uploading a little backlog of pics this weekend.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

X-postin'. Learned a lot, but excited to be moving on from these guys.

Mikey Purp posted:

Finally finished these boys up!

What I learned:
  • Edge-highlighting is tricky. Too thin and they don't really have an impact, too thick and they look cartoonish. I think that I erred on the side of two thin on these guys and they kinda got washed out after the weathering and varnish.

• Matte varnish can dull down colors. These guys were a lot shinier and deeper red before I sealed them up. I still like the color and actually think it gives them a "dusty" look which fits the environment I'm going for, but something that I'll have to be aware of in the future. Would gloss varnish have the same effect?

• You have to strike a balance with weathering. I wanted these guys to look like they've been through some poo poo, so I think the amount of weathering is fine, but it seems really easy to go overboard.

Any C+C is welcome, especially photography tips! I am using a home-made light box and pixel 2, but I still feel like I could do a better job.

Next project is a squad of Death Company. For those guys I'm planning on trying out some layering techniques I picked up from this Kujo painting vid. We'll see how it goes.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

The Death Company models don't allow for poses carrying bolters and chain swords despite that loadout being allowed by the rules. Here's my attempt at a solution. :awesomelon:

Still need to clean it up and maybe resculpt the grip a bit with milliput but this is gonna work better than expected.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Floppychop posted:

As cool as that looks there's an easier method.

Just clip the bolter arm at the wrist and put it on a bolt pistol arm that you also clipped at the wrist.

Pendent posted:

If you've got other BA stuff you can kitbash pretty easily. The tactical marine kit has bits that let you wield a bolter one handed.

Well yeah, but neither of these suggestions culminates with my dudes having fuckin' chainsword bayonets!

Also I don't doubt that I could have worked out the left and right arms by clipping, bur I think that some of the chain sword and pistol arms are right-handed while others are left, so it wasn't immediately obvious. Anyway, like I always say, when in doubt chop poo poo up and glue big swords to big guns.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

eBay coup + birthday coming up + just got back from winning in Vegas = it's definitely Knight O'clock.

I'm planning on getting a castellan and possibly some helverins to complement my (eventual) BA army. From those who are more familiar with the codex, how's hawkshroud play and would it work with a pretty melee focused BA army? I picked hawkshroud mostly because the colors and fluff go well with BA, but it would be dope if it's a strategically sound decision too.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Just bought a castellan and some helverins for the same price as the castellan itself on the GeeDub site :hellyeah:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah it's somewhere, bug SRM in a week to put it in the OP.

Almost out of time, here's my Army August post for my Rainbow Warriors!

Of all the warhammer armies I've seen, this is by far my favorite.

In other news, finished cleaning and building my Death Company squad and I am enjoying how the chainsword bayonets look on the assembled models. It's kind of a pain to get the fit right on the hands but it's manageable. One slight bummer is that the sculpts of the arms holding bolters are all basically the same, so all of the guys are holding the gun across their chest kind of at rest. I may try to convert one or two into more dynamic poses like with the bayonet raised over his head about to swing downward, but I don't have much experience with that stuff.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 29, 2018

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Thanks muchly my dudes!

Here’s a super crowded shot of all my Knights, gonna need a bigger lightbox or something:

Man, these are great. How tough was it to pose the armigers that way? I have some helverins in my painting backlog and was hoping to give them more dynamic poses without too much trouble.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Just got a Castellan and Helverins for my birthday :woop: although looking at my BA, I've now realized that I'm accidentally building the soup army that everyone hates. Doesn't really matter though, by the time I get them painted and on the table they'll probably be nerfed to hell anyway.

In any case, I need some help picking the right house for my big stompy boys. I am leaning Hawkshroud because the fluff meshes well with the BA and I intend to let the Castellan camp at the back of the table so the extra survivability is nice. On the other hand, everything I read says Raven is the best choice because of Cawl's Wrath and the bonus to advancing. The thing is, I'm not sure how useful those things are for this army as I'm mostly looking for a good gunline component to help balance out the melee of the rest of the army.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Cessna posted:

Denver used to have really good game stores. Attactix, Bonnie Brae, Valhalla. I supported them all, buying plenty of models, supplies, paints, and snacks from them.

In 2011 Valhalla and Attactix went out of business. Bonnie Brae followed later. All were taken down by a combination of things - poor business practices by their owners (Attactix), increasing rents due to a commercial real estate boom (Bonnie Brae), you name it. There are now a couple of alternatives out in the outlying suburbs, but nothing as close to me.

Do I regret spending money at the stores I used to? Nope. Not at all. Okay, sure, there's a little Gamer's Remorse - why did I buy those models when I haven't finished my existing projects? - but all told I can live with it.

Because in return I got to play some drat good games. I met people who are still my friends; I still wargame with them regularly. These days we'll play on a table on my back deck or in my basement, or in a comparable setup in a friend's house. It's certainly not as easy as it was when we had the common ground of a good game store; we keep it going, but it's not the same. I wish we still had those stores, as they were a good place to meet and find new folks to play with.

No, I suppose the money I spent didn't save those stores, but - hell, it's only money; I got some good games and good friends out of it. I'd do it again with no regrets.

This explains a lot. I have lived in Denver for a couple of years but only recently started getting into 40k with the release of 8th edition as a natural extension of my mini painting hobby. I mostly jumped in because I like the lore and the models but I figured it would be pretty easy to find local places to actually play. Quickly come to find out that the scene here is more or less dead.

There's a group that meets at Colpar's Hobbyworld out in Aurora who seem pretty nice, but they only meet on Saturdays (which is tough for me) and it's generally kind of intimidating to walk into a big group like that without knowing anyone or even how to play the game that you're there to play. That store is also one of those ones that charges MSRP for most things, so I don't visit very often anyway. I live pretty close to the GW in Glendale and follow them on social media, but have not been there yet.

It would be so awesome if there was a place in the city where you could reliably find a pick-up game on a random Thursday night, but there just doesn't seem to be anything even close to that here.

Makes me jealous of those DC hams who have bonafide podcast stars in their scene.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 7, 2018

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Bucnasti posted:

Glendale is the closest store to me, so I head over there to pick up stuff occasionally and I really dig the manager, seems sincerely interested in the hobby. They should clone him for every store, every other GW store I've been to the manager has either been super salesman pushy, or actively creepy.

Another Denver ham appears! Well it's good to hear that store is pretty cool, I will have to check it out sometime. Also good to see a couple other locals itt, we should do a hams goonmeet some time.*

*And by some time I mean 30 years from now when I've finally finished painting my army.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Seriously, are the big impact dents on the helmet and leg real? Cuz they look real.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Finally found the time to finish up some models over Thanksgiving break.

Librarian Dreadnought:

Death Company with the chainsword bayonet conversion:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Thank you! They aren't pinned, but are pretty sturdy nonetheless. I chopped the chainsword at the exhaust thing and cut out a chunk of the gun grip for a seamless fit, so there's a lot of contact there. My insta has some step-by-step pics that might give a better idea.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

How did you get this green?

Actually it's a transfer. The original color was more of a hunter green but I sanded it to weather it a bit and I guess there's a white/yellow underlayer which is sort of showing through.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Yeah I figured that out too, but I think they aren't advertising it because they're trying to prompt people via email to order in waves in an attempt to avoid overloading the site.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

You're about a week late. Badger just did their anniversary sale, and ran all their brushes for $55 each. I scored a Patriot 105 Extreme that I'm waiting for shipping on.

Not true, the sale goes through the end of the day Monday, I believe. You can still place an order for any badger airbrush for $55 via their website, although you probably won't receive it until the spring.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Finished up a helverin. Thanks to Skails for the awesome excoriator tutorials which I used for the bullet damage on the shoulder pads and impact damage on the shin guards.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I still feel that way, man. First started playing 40K in 5th edition like a decade ago, took a long break and then came back a 1.25 years ago and I'm still just like, "Adeptus Whatnow?" If I had $1 every time if I said, "If you say so" during the last tournament I played in, I could've easily recouped my entry fee just from listening to people telling me the things their army do. Skimming this thread half the time I have no idea what acronyms mean.

It can be lovely losing games sometimes, but if I lose a game knowing that my opponent cheated I immediately feel better. Like how sad is your life that you need to cheat at Space Barbies, dude.

As a newbie, this is the biggest problem with 40k and GW in general. They (rightly) push the hobby as mostly about the collecting and painting, but learning the game itself is still so much harder than it needs to be. I will need to read and digest 3 rulebooks at a minimum to fully understand the powers and abilities that are available to me, and as BeerfortheBeerGod pointed out a couple pages ago some armies like Crimson Fists will require that plus 2 or 3 more resources to have the total ruleset.

That takes time and practice in and of itself, but the fact that every opponent you play will also have at least one whole book of rules that they've read and digested to some degree which you have probably never even cracked the cover on just makes the game seem like both players doing a thing, chucking dice and then dictating what happens while the other player falls back on "sure, whatever you say."

It makes me wonder how much money GW is leaving on the table by not having an easy to use app to address these issues. It seems like they're happy letting nerds spend almost $50+ for the rulebook plus a codex, but how many more players would they have if they lowered that barrier to entry and also improved gameplay in the process?

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 11, 2019

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Ghost Hand posted:

To learn the BASICS of the game is a small 15 page, free pamphlet.

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Warhammer-40k-Battle-Primer-English-3.pdf

This, of course doesn't include armies or data sheets in it. So you would need a codex OR.....

Many of the starter sets (two forces) come with instructions on how to play through and understand how the game plays - in particular between those two forces but also explain the fundamentals of the game.

I think the best ever was the old Battle for McCragge set which walked you through the entire process back in 4th edition. But the new stuff is pretty great as well.

(Edit) I would also add though that 8th edition is one of the easiest versions of the game to learn and get into compared to previous editions. So there are some pretty significant improvements there.

Having never played before 8th, I can still appreciate that this edition is much better than it was. That being said, the ruleset has gotten progressively more complex even in the 7 or 8 months that I've been actively following 40k.

Back to my first point, sure you can learn the BASICS from one book, but using just those rules is boring and doesn't really feel like a complete game to me. On top of that, it's actually pretty hard for a new player to even understand what they need to buy if they wanted all the rules in the first place. Most of my understanding of how core rulebooks, codices and CA works and what they are has actually come from this thread. It's really tough to figure that stuff out via their website. And I did start with a Dark Imperium box which includes the core rules book and minicodices for the SM and DG units.

But what happens when I take my SM and go play someone's drukhari for the first time? I get torn to freaking shreds and I don't even know what I could do to better compete because I don't know most of their rules. I guess all I'm saying is that it feels bad to me that the current state of the game is that when I eventually play an army that I'm not familiar with at all, I have no real way to feel confident about it with out literally studying their list and rules ahead of time, and that GW doesn't even make that easy to do. Failing that, I could stop the game to learn the rules and look stuff up in my opponents codex while we play, but I imagine that would annoy most people and also triple amount of time that it takes to play.

The problem is exacerbated if you choose a newb-friendly starter army like SM because everyone has seen you and knows what to expect while you're still in the dark.

E: rereading this, I get that's it's more than a little whiney. I'm in a place now where I'm mainly over the hump, but I still think it's crazy that 40k is kind of the poster child for tabletop gaming while having such a high barrier to entry. An app has so much potential to fix a lot of those issues.

E2: Seldom Posts summed up my thoughts in 2 sentences. That's what the last 6 paragraphs were trying get across.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 11, 2019

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Cross-postin' from the painting thread.

I just have 3 reivers to finish up and then the 12 man command roster for my BA kill team will be done! I randomly generated the squad mission as "scouting", background as "tactical strike force" and quirk as "blood thirsty" so the fluff is that these guys are an elite team that has been behind enemy lines for a little too long and gone Kurtz. I decided to use Death Co. instead of tac marines to go along with that, figuring that the older brothers were the first to become unhinged and have fallen to the black rage as a result of the isolation from the legion and their steadily escalating hatred for the xenos that surround them. The primaris and scouts are slightly less crazy, but have no choice but to let them rampage on rather than put them out of their misery and in so doing doom the team and the mission.

Mikey Purp posted:

Painting up a Blood Angels Kill Team and just finished this dude up last night.

I also did some scouts...contemplated doing a head swap but then figured I'd just try to challenge myself to mitigate their weirdness as much as possible. There's only so much you can do to help a terrible sculpt, but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. The beard dude looks like a lumber jack and the blondes have sort of have a Schwarzenegger vibe which I am on board with.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

But what does it mean?! Is this somehow related to the shelves of grey thing?

Eifert Posting posted:

When you carry a heavy bolter people don't ask about your constant ducklips.

Lol, yeah...my only tactic to hide those duffus lips was to play up the visor and hopefully draw the viewer's attention there.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 23, 2019

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

Speaking of airbrushes, I still haven’t received my Sotar from the Badger birthday sale. I understand it was to take a while, but it’s been what, 4 months?

I was just thinking about this today...haven't received my sotar yet either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Ilor posted:

I see what you did there. :)
Has anyone experimented with >gasp< mixing contrasts with normal paints? Does that even work? Are their media compatible? If so, that could open up all sorts of possibilities. I nominate richyp to start mixing them with Baharroth Blue just to see what sort of magic happens.

According to Vince Venturella's video, that probably wouldn't work because all of the unique properties of the Contrast medium would be erased. There is apparently a new medium akin to Lahmian medium that will be sold, so it's possible that opens up some possibilities. If nothing else, I bet you could mix inks with the new medium to create new tones.