Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Artum posted:

You're getting your wires a bit crossed on this because these are two separate but related issues. Back when 8th came out a contingent of smug assholes were saying you could replace chapter/regiment /craftworld/whatever with "wu tang clan" and have everyone benefit from each others rules, then the designer commentary came out telling them to stop taking the piss and said that for whatever you change it to doesn't change the base keywords; <chapter>ultramarines is not <regiment>ultramarines and so on.

The related ruling was that eg: Blood angels and <chapter>Blood angels are also different keywords.

I may have my wires crossed, but I quoted what Chapter Approved says, which is this:

Blood Angels can't be a <REGIMENT> because they're <ADEPTUS ASTARTES>. The logical corollary thereto is that Blood Angels can be a <CHAPTER> because they're <ADEPTUS ASTARTES>.

I think I understand the point you're making. That GW doesn't want datasheet sharing. That makes logical sense. It just doesn't match the ruling they issued (unless the ruling is somewhere else, because lets have 20 different places to look to see if a rule changed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

just give it up man

Does the the screen cap show the relevant ruling? If so, I've got my answer.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I mean I guess if you want to take a detachment from Codex Space Marines, substitute Blood Angels for the Chapter Keyword, and pick one of the chapter traits to use as your Blood Angels, without access to Red Thirst, any special characters or units from the either the SM or BA book, or any chapter specific relics or stratagems, go right ahead.

You'd be an idiot to do it, but you've already demonstrated that.

Non-grognards helped. I thank them for their patience.

You decided to be a jerk, while getting the rules wrong and missing the point. There's no restriction on taking (loyalist plus DA) Space Marines special characters in mixed Space Marine detachments. They have shared keywords beyond <IMPERIUM>.

Doing so affects Chapter tactics. Different Marine Forces in the same detachment means no Chapter Tactics.

Which brings us around to the (non-Flakk) point: can keyword <BLOOD ANGELS> be swapped for keyword <CHAPTER> as described at p. 131 of the Space Marine Codex? The result would be access to datasheets not included in the Blood Angels codex while maintaining all <BLOOD ANGELS> detachments. So they get Chapter Tactics. Wargear is tied to the Warlord, so again I'm not sure what Slowpoke's getting at.

Strobe posted:

The only times things get stupid is when people try to call their fanon Chaos Legion the "Nurgle Daemons" and I'm pretty sure everyone here except Maneck knows that's loving idiotic.

Atrum helpful explained there's two different issues. Issue a) (my issue) was keywords set by Games Workshop being used to replace <PLACEHOLDER>, where Games Workshop always intended that would happen but didn't want it to happen in certain ways. Probably.

Issue b) was people naming their army Nurgle and claiming they benefit from [NURGLE]. Which you're ripping me for, but responding to your post is the first time I mentioned it. Huh?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

JBP posted:

It takes me forever to paint holy poo poo. I wrote down a batch painting plan for these guys but then I just start randomly painting and forget what I'm doing... Next three I'll get it right...

Did you achieve that shadowing with just a wash?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Badablack posted:

Flakk missile stratagem isn’t even that great.

Even after the change where a cherub makes two for 1 cp?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Look, I'm trying to be as reasonable as I can here but this line of logic is the kind of thing that isn't going to win you any friends. Blood Angel units use the Blood Angel codex. If it's not in the Blood Angel codex then you can't use it.

Absolutely. There was never an issue of this being anything but an abuse.

I asked for help on whether two points are actually an issue with the rules, versus my understanding. In the end, I was clearly wrong on one and probably wrong on the other.

People are never shy about offering opinions on SA, which means pushing back is necessary to get a correct answer. But push back is dangerous, it invites a dog piling. Especially in this thread.

I definitely did not get the balance right tonight.

I apologize.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I understand why you couldn't understand what I was saying, because what I was explaining (and what you want to do) was illogical.

You want to take Blood Angels as your chapter keyword out of the Space Marines codex. The Space Marine codex Very Explicitly says that you can't use this to use Blood Angels or any other codex rules. This means your dumbass chapter is just Blood Angels in name only. Because there's no Codex Space Marines chapter Blood Angels special and characters in the Codex Space Marines, you can't take any.

I was willing to drop it. I am dropping it.

You've got a problem.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Corrode posted:

Nice new av dude

Seems we have the same fan.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Pendent posted:

That's exactly how it works, yeah. It would be tough to fight without ankles to be fair.

Having stuff on the base would generally work but starts getting into the "modeling for advantage" territory a bit so I get a bit leery.

Firing though the weird gravity field under a grav tank should also have a huge penalty to hit.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Naramyth posted:

Yes I certainly want to deal with that dumb as balls corner case when I'm trying to get a game done sometime today.

The tank is supposed to have a weird gravity field under it. Using that as a justification to now allow shooting under tanks is going to save time. Otherwise people are going to have their heads on the table to figure out line of sight.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Naramyth posted:

So do eldar everything, cusode jet bikes, Tau skimmers, land speeders, hell even hovering fliers could have a dust cloud. Not to be slippery slide but dude, its GW, it's not going to be consistent.

I would have said just allow shooting under anything with the FLY keyword. But the repulsor has FLY. So you're right, there's no simple way to make it not stupid.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Badablack posted:

That paintjob is definitely helped by the background and even lighting though. Gimme a gallery of golden daemon award winning models photographed on a crappy gaming table with flickering fluorescent school lights.

Bad lighting can make a well painted miniature look bad. The reverse, not so much.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Corrode posted:

I think this is a US thing, as there's definitely stores in the UK offering over 15% off.

Canada has the online discount cap at 15% MSRP. Maybe it's everywhere but the UK?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

It's like: how much more never-saw-spinal-tap can he be? And the answer is none, none more never-saw-spinal-tap.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

One_Wing posted:

That would be an excellent decision and i’d be legit no-sarcasm delighted if the rules team are forward thinking enough to have put that in.

Also, now I have to decide between calling them warlads or bigly knights. You’ve made this very hard for me.

Chaos gate was cool and good and you can get it on GOG, where it’s still kinda fun if heinously dated. Also, assault cannons are some overpowered bullshit, so really it predicted the early 8th edition meta by nearly 20 years.

Second edition rules. Therein, assault cannons were ridiculously good. Three sustained fire dice shots at high strength with a large negative armour modifier. GW balanced them based on a negative outcome, namely that on rolling three jams it exploded.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
You could try:

https://www.amazon.ca/Vallejo-Magenta-Fluorescent-Paint-17ml/dp/B000PH7OGQ

I haven't been successful with vallejo's fluorescents, but apparently I've been doing it wrong. Should have been putting a shiny metal underneath.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Is hand drilling metal miniatures workable? Tadhg, did you do that by hand or with a dremel or dill or something?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I would imagine the rumor about the new Ghazghkull is true, since Orks haven't gotten a new character, let alone a big one, in a while that I can think of. Probably some new buggies, since the old ones are GorkaMorka era. There might also be some new Ork troop models too, since those are old. I'm not expecting too much except some type of special rule that makes Orks faster and able to survive long enough to get into close combat. That's more wishful thinking though and not grounded in anything.

A new Ghazghkull would be cool because I have the original and love the model. He holds up well but a new, bigger mini would be welcome.

My vote is for negative shooting modifiers not applying Orks. Things that make aiming harder shouldn't work on an army that doesn't bother to aim.

Edits because I couldn't string two sentences together.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 1, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Booley posted:

E: For reference, this is my light setup. The two lights are roughly 24x36.

But what setup do you use to photograph your photography setup?

chutche2 posted:

Oh okay, I just got some parchment for making my wet palette.

Parchment paper is awesome stuff. Sure, use it for a wet palette and background. And also for making banners for your miniatures. And other stuff.

But also use it when baking (you know, what it's meant for). Forget about greasing pans forever. It makes an enormous difference in getting food to cook evenly. Even for simple things like warming frozen foods.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Booley posted:

My backup camera.

I assumed phone and was not expecting an actual answer.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Booyah- posted:

not complaining but I'm curious how many times they've adapted Space Hulk into a video game. must be at least 3 at this point

This'll be the third one in the space of about four years.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Shadin posted:

Also why do people not understand that you can make any ‘art’ you want but that doesn’t mean that other people are obligated to host your content. He could just become admin of the cool and good Definitely Not Rape Fantasies group and be free as a bird.

We have it all wrong. He's making fun of machismo and the women folk approve his effort. He's the one who understands what women really want:

quote:

I’d like to send out a huge thanks to all of the support, comments and all of the DMs... especially those coming from ACTUAL females who understood the joke...
Women seem to understand exactly what this project is: a satirical interpretation of overwhelming ridiculous machismo and that The Manhammer isn’t much more than a buffoonish parody of the Primarchs themselves - meatheads with a big weapon and an even bigger hat.

Also what's with these morons calling a model depicting women in restraints, with their clothes pulled off, posed in a manner suggesting forced sex a "rape fantasy"?

quote:

You wanna see just how ridiculous the online wargaming community can be? Scroll right in the carousel above to see the official stance of a “40K Converters” FB group admin who accused Manhammer of being a “rape fantasy.” Yeeeeeeaaah... that’s just about a perfect example of the true face behind the false mask of the so-called “Internet White Knights” ... and I’m the bad guy.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

"And yeah, changing the design and lore of the Sisters to appease a dogmatic cult with a repressed sense of morality most people don't share seems like a bad thing. It doesn't to you?"

lmao someone post the Monster energy knights and that weird pimp thing, I wanna see these clowns analyze those

That's a very special post you found there.

I can't decide what the crown jewel is. The claim that the term "gamer" was viewed as a positive thing - until those lousy feminists showed up! Maybe the in-between-the-lines admission that he was banned from multiple forums for whatever he had to say on the topic of gamersgate?

Edit:
That guy is solid comedy gold:

quote:

The fact that they even bothered to invite this divisive, currently irrelevant person as a guest of honor means that her group of followers have decided that they have enough pull in the tabletop industry that they can start pushing their brand of bs without repercussions.

She's totally irrelevant. As evidenced by the fact that her followers have too much sway in the industry. :thunk:

Maneck fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 7, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Giant Isopod posted:

Nah, I'm going to disagree with that. Anyone who puts period German iconography on their 40k models has exactly one intention

Precisely. They make no sense in the settling. Someone with 40k models painted that way is sending a signal which ought to be understand as "I'm not someone you ever want to talk or associate with."

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Thanqol posted:

Finished my discount knockoff Custodes.

Dunno how these got ignored for a page. Amazing work.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, but why would you tell Ogryns (who are cool) that they have to cosplay Custodes (who are not)?

The Imperium couldn't properly outfit the Ogryns after blowing its entire budget on gold leaf for Custodes. So the Ogryns improvised, beating up a squad of Custodes and making off with their stuff.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Artum posted:

They pretty much top the list for most breakable bullshit among miniatures?

They can be a modeling headache aside from breakage concerns. I'm working on Ogrun Warspears right now for a Hordes army. Two boxes of five guys (plastic). They're each modeled with 4 spears. 40 spears total. They're all hilariously and completely bent.

Going at them with a hair dryer helps but it isn't a complete fix. I've settled on straightening them somewhat and then painting them to appear as poorly crafted. Lots of people end up just cutting them off and replacing them with a brass shaft.

In short, even if GW started modeling more spears odds are you'd end up converting them to different looking spears.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

For_Great_Justice posted:

The dude with the nazi orks with a wife an kids made me wonder how hes gonna explain nazis are bad (if he does) to his kids when he willingly an knowingly did that. Yeah hes repainting them but it took going to Mordor an back to get it to happen.

Someone said he's an accountant. Professional licensing bodies have professionalism standards. Associating yourself with well known hate symbols is not a sensible approach. And that guy appears to be posting under his real name.

His talk with the wife and kids might have to include a discussion about why daddy is being called to a professional standards hearing over how he chose to paint his overpriced toys.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Corrode posted:

I am a little concerned that Skrillex cuts are the fetish of one of the designers.

GW has a long history depicting dodgy haircuts.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
It does seem that, several decades in, GW has grasped the concept not intentionally excluding groups of people for absolutely no reason.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Hamshot posted:

White Privilege in quotes, check.
Virtue Signalling, which only bigots ever use as a defense, check.
Saying no, YOU'RE the bigots! check.

Le sigh.

It was a dense bit of nonsense so it's easy to overlook "SJW" was thrown in to the mix.

On that point, anyone know what the standard loon rationalization is for calling out supposed Social Justice Warriors? Under their logic scheme, calling the use of Nazi iconography racist is "bigoted". If only a racist calls out racism, what does that mean for those calling out "SJWs"?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The Sex Cannon posted:

and then he said even more dumb poo poo
https://twitter.com/DB_Sleazy/status/1006177315221573632

Campbell tried to engage, but I don't have good words so I just make jokes.

He's got you guys on ignoring the ethics of miniature game journalism for freely distributed podbadcasts. Editorializing about the hobby is a flagrant abuse of your listeners' trust.

Your licenses will be revoked. Forthwith.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

The lady is making an unsolicited speciesist (I guess?) comment and she gets pissed off when someone calls her on her poo poo. Why would I think of a white dude here? It doesn't sound intentional but I've seen this play out in real life before and it's always been racist assholes making a public comment about hispanics/welfare queens and then getting pissed off when they're called on it.

You figured it out. This is perfect sealioning.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Rock Paper Shotgun reviewed the new Deathwing Enhanced Edition. Verdict is: not terrible, but not actually good. The game's technical performance has greatly improved. Many major problems remain including terrible AI, both friendly and enemy, and that the weapons are mostly unsatisfying to actually use.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 13, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The most distant models in the same unit can be no further than X" away from each other.

That can require a lot of measurements.

The Warmahordes way of handling squad coherency is pretty good. It also ties the maximum distance from the squad leader to leadership value, which gives it a lot more meaning than it has in (most editions) of 40k.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Giant Isopod posted:

What happens when the squad leader dies first though, I assume you'd have to make it so you can't do that?

In Warmahordes, a new model becomes the squad leader. This can mean the troopers find themselves out of coherency. They can't do anything but move to get back into coherency.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Artum posted:

I like this.

Incentivising the practice of checking coherency for 40 cultists. Per squad. Each turn. :yikes:

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Since we're asking for unicorns and rainbows...

A fair point. GW has never been interested enough in other games to steal really good ideas. Even new GW doesn't seem interested. Their new focus is on having a concise rule set. They've done that well. The fact that competitive games look like Spirograph probably won't be enough to overcome the preference for simplicity.

And even if it became inclined, it's not happening before 9th edition.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Badablack posted:

I saw a guy at the local shop the other day who had a tyranid list revolving around 3 forgeworld Malanthropes giving a -1 hit buff to giant swarms of gaunts around them. I felt kinda bad telling him that Malanthropes only gave their -1 hit to MODELS within 3”, not units. It kind of threw off his game plan a bit.

You really should feel really bad. That was dealt with an errata. He was right.

quote:

Your opponent must subtract 1 from hit rolls for ranged weapons that target <HIVE FLEET> units within 3" of any friendly <HIVE FLEET> Malanthropes.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Badablack posted:

Well poo poo I do feel bad now. On the plus side, I’m gonna use my own Malanthrope more often now that he doesn’t need to be getting to third base with every unit he’s shrouding.

An average game will require reference to the rules, the corrections for the rules, the designer's commentary on the rules (which have not been consolidated with the rules corrections for some insane reason), two+ codexes, the corrections for the two+ codexes, possibly an index plus the index correction, and a Forge World Book or two plus the Forgeworld corrections.

So, feel bad. But not that bad. You guys goofed on your reference to the 11th rule book applicable to your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
SA is already a subscription model. Just post more.