Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Floppychop posted:

The molds themselves for injection molding are crazy expensive, and they do wear out eventually.

That being said, GW does have higher prices than other companies that do injection molding.

From my eyes-and-hands-on experience - and of products that people here applaud as being excellent - no competitor of GW yet makes plastics of an equal quality.

Mantic, Dreamforge, North Star, Wyrd, Warlord - all of their plastic products are at an equivalent point in quality to where GW was 15 years ago.

I'd love to move away from GW but as someone for whom modelling is the main thing I enjoy from the hobby, no other company comes close to the potential from their basic boxes of minis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Just don't supercharge the pistol? :kiddo:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I love the Command Dice even if only for the hiding space marine symbol.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Shockeh posted:

I've decided to darken up a shade, and go for a Karak Stone armour colour. Rakarth into Pallid is lovely, but Jesus it takes too long per Marine.

This was my second Marine in the centre, (prototype with too thick paint on the right) who felt like a huge improvement in consistency: (Nothing done but armour, obviously)

These look fantastic.

FromTheShire posted:

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have spare crew models from the GSC Goliath? I'm specifically looking for the standing guys crewing the heavy stubber or seismic cannon etc control panel. For some reason I am having a really tough time finding either them or some similar guardsman model to use for some conversion work I'm doing where I want to have somebody standing in the back of a vehicle firing a mounted weapon.

I have these guys. Don't have a planned use for them as I got the Goliath for use in Gorkamorka.

I'm away from home for a few weeks though so wouldn't be able to send them for a fairly long while.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

Alright let's try this again:

My apologies if someone has to see these twice. :/

You take that apology back. Now people need to see them three times.

You're welcome, ingrates.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Phyresis posted:

even if you were made of money all of those Guardsmen would have the exact same poses. terrible

This just isn't true. Some of them maybe - the parts required for the Mordian dude wouldn't allow much flexibility for example - but most of the rest have a pretty decent set of bits from which to build the base model.

I like the guy with the Skitarius helmet, that is a build that would give you lots of flexibility. As long as you don't mind the mismatched GSC shotguns and autoguns instead of lasguns.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Doesn't look like there's much room for sodomy to be taking place under that emoji :airquote:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

BirdieBedtime posted:

I've been puttering on this dude for a few weeks; he seems pretty rad to me. There's a little bit of GS work to do, now that I see him all blown-up.

Holy gently caress this guy looks amazing. Very nice.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

IT'S A LIFESTYLE, PUP!

:yeah:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Flavivirus posted:

Word on the grapevine is that they recently bought and installed new machines but found out that Nottingham's power grid didn't have the capacity to support them, so it's quite possible that planned restocks are being pushed back while a solution is found and they're using certain simple kits as a stopgap.

loving hell, really? This is both hilarious and, upon reflection, completely unsurprising. Some project manager done hosed up on that one.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The Ghost minis range is really cool, the jet bike Warlocks and the Shining Spears are particularly great.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Genghis Cohen posted:

Ok, cool. Would be well up to try a game some time. If necessary, I have a 4x4 table and some terrain at my place, in Digbeth. (Forums user ineptmule can testify that I am unlikely to be a murderer or anything bad) I a, only really available on weekends, if that’s alright?

I can indeed. I have in fact met both of you and can affirm swell dude status in each case.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That Shadow War Battle in the middle of a campaign is such a cool idea. My local club’s lead guy loves the idea of twinning Shadow War with 40k in this kind of way so I’ll definitely take some inspiration for our upcoming campaigns.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Thanqol posted:

Inquisitors and really senior dudes might understand that the Eldar Empire has various factions but even then how the gently caress could they tell which is which half the time.

Along these lines, someone round here posted a cool little thought-scenario a while back imagining an Imperial Guard commander, upon seeing an Astartes assault out of the blue, frantically getting their Wikipedia-servitor to look up the marine heraldry to try and figure out if the newcomers are friendly or not. That mental image really appealed to me.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

zeal posted:

there was a short story in one of the old old anthologies about a non-military imperial starship under attack by some kind of xenos. they're rescued mid-crisis by astartes, but as just chump imperial citizens they don't recognize the marines' heraldry until the sorcerer in what happens to be a thousand sons warband turns one of the mortals into chaos spawn for their own amusement

This is cool but Thousand Sons don’t really seem like ‘lol spawn’ kinds of guys to me.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Are you able to clear up the ambiguity/duality of Khaine/Khorne? I’ve never understood that, two gods of war with extremely similar names.

Also,

Schadenboner posted:

I have the strangest erection right now.

Obligatory Username/Post Combo recognition.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 28, 2017

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

glitchkrieg posted:

What’s the gossip about Dark Sphere? I hope I don’t have to put them on my boycott list.

Someone claiming to be a Dark Sphere staffer posted a lot of insider info about the store on /tg in which they noted three broad areas of lovely practice. Mostly the serious accusations are around the store owner and his mother (?) being at best passive-aggressive incompetents and at worst outright workplace bullies. They also alleged withholding of pay and the threat of withholding pay on flimsy pretexts. Finally they indicated that the store routinely breaches their retailer agreement by selling GW products to non-EU customers and that this would result in them losing their relationship with GW. This would appear to be a big deal as about one third to half of the store’s shelf space is dedicated to GW products and it’s clear they do a lot of trade with GW fans.

This is all unsubstantiated as it’s just forum gossip but a lot of people felt that the allegations against the store owners in particular had a lot of resonance with their own experience of being a customer at the store.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

dexefiend posted:

Which yellow is that? (Łooks like a great yellow to start the green of my Shadespire Orks.)

Looks like the Army Painter Daemonic Yellow. I have used it for various projects but haven’t managed to get a finish as nice as on that Ork there. Mine comes out quite thick and grainy.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

BurlapNapkin posted:

Hi all, I've been drawn back into the orbit of 40k with the new edition. Lurking in this thread, drinking in the hammy goodness for inspiration and hopefully getting a bit better at my modeling/painting. By way of a dubious thank you, here's some shoddily photographed models you have in part helped to create.

This one is a secret santa gift, waaay beyond my ability to actually execute. Learned a lot painting it, but now it hurts me a bit to look at it. I call him Alby.

The army I'm actually building are Tau. I'm painfully slow at painting and have 3 minimal infantry squads that I still haven't finalized/figured out how to highlight or shade. Also my color scheme might suck, anyway they look like this:

Those wings. Fackin’ Hell. You should do some Tyranids, that painting style would look beautiful on them.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Unlikely I know, but do any of you have Primaris Intercessor auxiliary grenade launcher bits you'd be willing to part with? I need a couple and my usual sources are failing me.

I have one that I clipped off sprue into my bits box yesterday if you need any more.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

DiHK posted:

Hey so if I'm fielding multiple Aspect warriors of the same type is it kosher, lore wise, to have an exarch in each one? Asking for a friend Dire Avenger.

My gut feeling says no, that there’s one Exarch in each craftworld’s shrine. I don’t know much about Eldar lore though.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Ilor posted:

Nurgle poo poo

Insert emoji poo version of :getin: here

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Red Hood posted:

Hey, that's really awesome, thanks for the heads up.

What I was really asking though is not which model to use, but if you guys had any suggestions on which stats to use instead of the actual daemnohost stats, since they're especially terrible.

I'm definitely buying a lot of miniatures from that store.

Cherubael is described as being virtually invulnerable and powerful, also it flies. Maybe use Celestine’s rules, for the resurrecting ability? You could have the other, lesser Daemonhosts as the Geminae as well.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Only problem is Celestine has a huge wingspan so is much bigger for purposes of LOS, so you might get people complaining as that Daemonhost mini is much smaller.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Thundercloud posted:

Oh boy do I have some deadlines coming up for me soon.

Are we doing a summer goonmeet?

I could be in for a Summer Goonmeet

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Adding my tuppence to say that these White Scars are incredible, the sharp lines on your red detailing and the white armour look fantastic.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

What’s your base blue colour? It’s close to what I need for mine I think.

Lord Twisted posted:

Which goons are going London grand tournament? I'll be at the 30k event

Corrode posted:

I'll be at the 40k, unless I qualify for the GW GT in which case who knows what I'll do.

I’ll be at the Blood Bowl & Shadespire tournaments. Would be cool to goonmeet anyone who is around.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 9, 2018

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Artum posted:

It's just the standard macragge blue.

Huh, that’s interesting. Maybe I’ll use it after all. Thanks!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Artum posted:

Can confirm.

Sergeant Janus is coming along nicely.

This guy looks really good. Nice work.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Nifara posted:

On my hobby bench are some Perry's civil war infantry and some hellblasters. The Perry stuff is great sculpts (the brothers are some of the best), and look good, but to say they are even remotely approaching the quality of the GW kit, in quality of material or mould, is frankly laughable. The GW kits are just wildly better. I'll grab some pics when I get home to compare if people like.

My god. This. I have all of the North Star kits for frostgrave and they are nice, but it is an absolute joke to say they are on a par with GW. And the Perry miniatures are excellent sculpts but the quality of the kits is still lacking.

I understand that a lot of people dislike the GW aesthetic (or at least the trend of the last couple of years of making everything covered in fussy details on top of the GW aesthetic) and that North Star and Perry minis have a more restrained style, but it’s not the same thing as build or casting quality.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Groetgaffel posted:

:eyepop:

:eyepop::popeye::eyepop:
As a poorly motivated slow painter, that's like a lifetime of painting for me.
At least.

Those smilies are mesmerising in how unsynced they are. A bit like indicator lights: if I’m waiting to turn right for a long time it always fascinates me how my lights don’t quite sync with the car in front.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Entropy238 posted:

e: If the pound sterling takes a tumble, for example, you could probably make some savings from buying from the UK shop.

“If”

Lol have you seen what is happening in this country?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

A development which should surprise no-one. Such a shame they shat the bed with DOWIII.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Is it insane to suggest that GW could just move their huge new injection moulding machines to a different location and keep the rest of their operation where it is? (Probably yes as this is business and I know gently caress all about their logistical chain, but if they are supposed to increase their output capacity by 800% you’d think it would be worth it.)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Nifara posted:

I can't for a moment imagine that the higher ups at GW aren't screaming constantly for this to get resolved, because it must be hampering their profits in an appalling fashion.

Not to mention that these machines presumably cost a fuckton in the first place.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Two Beans posted:

Again, the reeve of this shire seems to be at fault.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man

:jihad:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I ordered some of those Shapeways ‘Warfaces’ that someone linked to a week or so ago. They arrived today and are streets ahead of the last Shapeways stuff I got, which was grainy and terrible. There is very slight grain on the new prints but it’s almost indistinguishable and I’m hoping it will take Paint well.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

SteelMentor posted:

I was shocked at the quality, friends were warning me to give the acetone swabs and all kinds of prep but they're flawless, dare say they're above Stauesque's metal heads in quality.

Edit: Speaking of Statuesque, they just released a bunch of lady heads deliberately compatible with Marine kits.

So glad I won't have to gently caress around with greenstuffing necks.

Holy poo poo those look great. Also Techno Roiders is a great name.

Extremely impressed with the Shapeways stuff. It’s crazy expensive still but these heads are superb. I was severely burned with the last order from them but that was over five years ago.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

koreban posted:

I just finished building my small tzeentch renegade tempestus detachment this last week. Haven't gotten around to putting paint down yet, but I figured I'd share.

These guys are great. That commissar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Frobbe posted:

When i was searching for pictures of an older stormtrooper model with a plasma gun, the best result i got was an SRM post on Dakka from 2010. The internet never forgets.

Is that a 2nd Ed ‘Beret’ stormtrooper, or the plasma gunner from the briefly-available gas mask troopers that came later? I’ve got a handful of the gas mask ones which I’ve always had a soft spot for despite them being pretty weird sculpts. Also interesting to see how many details on them were re-used from kits at the time.