Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Reminder that many of the things you probably hate about america are bill clinton's fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
It's a sad day when we pretend FMN is an acceptable poster, instead of a long-known terrible scourge.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Much like Bill, he ran to the left, won, governed to the right, and left his party with no real way to fight

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

5% of people who have ever used opioids. Not the entire country.

Lots of people are prescribed opioids. Chances are, if you complain about pain or have even a minor surgery, you're going home with some opiate painkillers.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why doesn't Europe have this opioid problem?

Would it surprise you that we deregulated opiates? It wasn't a crazy idea, we tended to overlook pain as something that should be treated, when uh... it sucks and it's a good thing for people's well being to not be hurting all the time. But guess what, drug companies really wanted to sell those pain meds and they pushed and lobbied and put in paid articles in doctor's journals to make the stuff that was supposed to be for short term use also for long term use. And it worked, and so what if they got sued for misleading the FDA they still got their pills through and insurance companies are buying them and people are buying them and people are killing themselves for the chemical bliss that they can use to supplant a life drained of all meaning and hope.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

Bernie Sanders co-sponsored a bill to make selling fake Vermont Maple Syrup a felony on par with bank fraud. Looks like Big Syrup knows how to buy a Senator...

False maple syrup is an abomination and should be rightly named as such.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

anime was right posted:

why not, global warming???

Yeah, if the winter is too warm and the spring not right maples don't make their sap the way required to make syrup. The trees make starches over the winter, and as it gets warm they convert it back to sugar. The male syrup people here in WNY have been having a hard time these past couple years.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I can't believe that post Bush, post Obama, and in the goddamn Trump era there's still so many Dems who think that the future is Yuppies.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
please stop posting lovely twitter takes.

I'm going to die

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I hate that motherfucker

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

True as gently caress. This is also why it was so distasteful and revealing when centrist political pundits were treating Hamilton like the biggest cultural phenomenon last year.

Explaining to my mom and dad that Hamilton was black rapping founding fathers and it wasn't a comedy was pretty fun

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't understand this article. What is its argument?

If the ACA is repealed, Single Payer advocates suddenly have very strong ground to stand on for implementation. But, instead of saying "go ahead, we didn't like Obamacare anyway," almost all of them are rallying to throw as many wrenches into the process because they think the human cost is too great. It contrasts this with republicans, who even though they say the ACA is the biggest most shameful act of history, are willing to sabotage and destroy bills because they don't like them.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

etalian posted:

Jimmy Dore interviews author Thomas Frank on why the bad dems are getting wrecked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TnS_P4JGDc

That's a good book, it'll make yas real mad at the democrats and make all these issues seem just long coming. The turn to the right was calculated and was supposed to enshrine the democrats' power. It failed utterly.

It's pretty funny to watch Dore yammer on about how he's being attacked in the guise of an interview

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Yinlock posted:

i dunno, "literal slave-owner" is fairly strong line to cross

People have defended her now for it. Back when we were looking at either Trump or her? I fuckin' bet you'd be called a racist or something for saying it was all hosed up/

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

FINISH HIMS OFF

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

'“This is the s–t we face every day,” a police source griped.'

Someone disrespected a public event with music, those goddamn bastards. I swear, a week of this will turn any man cold.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Yinlock posted:

one side explicitly wants all non whites to die, the other thinks the first side are dumb

i guess we'll never know who's right

The error people keep trying to point out is that people seem to have convinced themselves that everyone who doesn't live in one of like 4 american big cities is a virulent, boiling racist who's hoarding guns and is just looking for a chance to shoot someone who looks just a little different than them.

This isn't true. This is the same fiction that is peddled by the right, that every city has a teeming criminal underbelly that is just waiting to murder everyone who isn't used to seeing skyscrapers when they wake up. It's a stupid, and quite frankly, very cowardly, way of looking at the world.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Gay Republican Dudes have been around forever, but the party backing one... hmm.

Also he looks and sounds like an rear end in a top hat but he's a gay republican, ofc he does

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I love when small buisnessmen complain about how they don't like that they have to pay for their employee's insurance and no one says "hey imagine if the fuckin' government did that wouldn't it be fuckin' sweet"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Then what happens when you get out

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

see ya guys im off to the forge to make a hundred steel boots to grind my armor making skill high enough that i can make dragon bone armor.

Don't just grind, do the leves.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

logikv9 posted:

i'm pretty sure that nobody is asking for hordes of blue collar Americans to be retrained in computer programming, that's what they have their "young grandchild who is good at computers" for

You're wrong, that's pretty much the startup guru's answer to any poverty.

FFS just do a google search with the words "miner" and "coding," that's all we can think of doing. Large scale projects to create local hubs of renewable energy aren't what's talked about when they talk about Job Retraining. It's teaching laid off factory workers how to do entry level coding.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

the literal violence of not buying products made in Israel

I just didn't want a sodastream!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Why are democrats piss

Why are democrats piss #italiano

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Agnosticnixie posted:

Not mentioned, and unsurprisingly: it's an Iran sanctions bill.

The Washington consensus is a disgusting death cult.

Why do we keep doing this

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah this poo poo is Rent Collecting to the extreme.

Take that fuckin' money and make a better world with it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
What if these are the most exciting ideas they can think of? What if they're practically ejaculating at the idea of an employer tax credit to offer job training? What if they had to change their pants after they said they were gonna make mergers harder?

Is it better or worse?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I kinda feel for CC. In another time, before 9/11, before 2008, before the escalator, a suggestion to create a department of the government that provides oversight on drug prices would've been impressive. But now, we've seen how those things all operate, and everyone knows it's not enough.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I mean let's not get all nihilistic here, the pipeline is a really lovely idea that's a bad deal for us and a good deal for Canadian oil companies that wanna sell to china.

Bryce still rules, but that's a bad position I hope he changes.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
They advanced to debate, and then there was an objection about something that needed 60 votes to be overruled, and they couldn't even get 50.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

trudy lieberman's excellent story on the failings of the ACA is no longer behind a paywall.

i don't trust that name

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
hey what the gently caress is going on with healthcare

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Who is making these

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

Jesus Christ. Has this been posted?

IT'S YOU

YOU'RE MAKING THEM

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
so did they gently caress up on healthcare

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

ThndrShk2k posted:

Who is 'they' and what is 'gently caress up'?

the uh... the congress

and fail to pass their dumb bill

i donno

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

docbeard posted:

And maybe it was all for show
But it was so convincing that the ground got cold

(The ACA remains unrepealed, thanks to John McCain. Seriously.)

oh wow, he did something useful for once.

We're never going to hear the end of it now.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

whats it like looking at the opposite end of the spyglass of sincerity there

sorry that the optics there didn't give you much insight to find it ironic

You really think that's all ironic?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Where's that... where's that old communist comic with the block headed guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth