Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Frijolero posted:

Team Bern is doing it y'all.

https://twitter.com/gdebenedetti/status/907966957936406528

Bernie's list already includes Duckworth and Leahy even though they haven't declared support yet (I think).

Hell yeah,

here's the donate link:

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/bernie-mfa-senate-cosponsors

:bernget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Oh no, those jobs telling people they aren't covered and they're going to go bankrupt and be hounded by creditors and repo men because they made the choice to get sick

Those wonderful, wonderful jobs

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

People concerned about stoking Hillary v Bernie should bend the knee, problem solved

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Harris is the one constantly justifying every policy statement in terms of economic benefit

Schumer is the one constantly proposing new tax cuts and tax deductions

I can see how you would get them confused.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

For me it is. Also I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

The dude literally said he was putting accepting of big pharma donations on hold because it was making him look bad.

I mean kudos for the refreshing honesty but

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Lessail posted:

but is he pragmatic :thunk:

Calibanibal posted:

yeah he is phlegmatic

Porque no los dos?

Frijolero posted:

Quick lesson on politics/messaging from a phlegmy geriatric:

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/907949996066136064
1. Millions of Americans are in deep trouble.
2. The GOP wants to kill you.
3. Every major country* is already doing this.
4. The people and grassroots orgs. are with us.
5. Big business is against us.
6. We only do this by fighting for it.

* Don't loving wonk over this you idiots.

https://twitter.com/JStein_Vox/status/907959802952912896
The "Bernie is a pie-in-the-sky moron who doesn't play well with others" myth has always been bullshit, but this is the latest debunking.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Folks you gotta source your quotes, don't just leave us to assume "somewhere on reddit"

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You wanna hear her speak, you gotta cough up $2000

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yes Bernie, Yes!

:bisonyes:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

NPR is super extremely Liberal, in the truest definition of the word

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

not since the primaries ended

the 2016 primary will never, ever end

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

comedyblissoption posted:

simple solution just get rid of the senate and just have the house bingbong so simple

Just one house with the same representation rule as the New Hampshire House of Representatives

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bennyfranks posted:

Sanders' race problem was never sufficiently called out either, for that matter.

You know that's a good point, nobody pointed out how Sanders and his supporters were and are racsexists

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I enjoy the things bennyfranks shares but I do wish he would embed the hilldroid tweets instead of copy/pasting

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WTF does accepting that health care is a human right have to do with the Christian Work Ethic?

A minimum wage? I just don't see it happening. The Christian work ethic is too ingrained in the US.
Occupational health and safety regulation? I just don't see it happening. The Christian work ethic is too ingrained in the US.
Clean tap water? I just don't see it happening. The Christian work ethic is too ingrained in the US.
Public toilets? I just don't see it happening. The Christian work ethic is too ingrained in the US.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Jazerus posted:

the first two of those things were in fact victories over the "protestant work ethic" which is just a thinly veiled excuse for wanting to set up society so that only those who "work hard" have decent lives

:thejoke:

Obviously victories are in fact actually possible in the "protestant work ethic" United States of America.

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/881161169469403137

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

what they need is means tested tax credits for businesses that consolidate federal data centers

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

um excuse me if you checked hillary clinton dot com you would have found the most progressive platform of any candidate

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

shrike82 posted:

what i find odd about WJ is he spent an entire year disparaging the left and berniebros but now wants to ingratiate himself here and in DnD with leftists.
like why bother?

I dunno if you're going to waste your time disparaging berniebros, a thing that does not exist, then I can imagine you wasting your time on all sorts of things

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

speaking of the PPI, let's see what they've been up to in 2017. healthcare has been a big issue, so I'm sure they're speaking out on it

I went to see if there was anything about this on their twitter feed but it was just post after post about how great charter schools are

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

surely there are many opportunities for work that are not pointless, and in fact would be very beneficial to society, but don't offer an opportunity for private capital to extract a profit

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

deadgoon posted:

i find it unlikely that every job can be performed by a robot

Robots doing every job thread is here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800017

Once the self driving vehicles technology passes muster that will be literally millions of jobs that can be eliminated

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Just for the record there is already a UBI vs Job Guarantee thread in C-SPAM:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819512

If you're going to have a serious and really productive conversation I'm not sure if the Suck Zone is the best place for that

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Al! posted:

like lastgirl said, most of the time when large sea changes in government have been successful its been through trial and error. one of the biggest problems the dems and the left have is that we think we can actually come up with a perfect plan ahead of time, figure out all the details, get everything sorted and then carefully step forward reevaluating at every step of the process and always have a strategy to just pull the whole thing and give up so nobody has to commit to far into anything, and because we were smart enough and had enough foresight and planned for long enough everything will just fall into place mechanistically.

out in the huge country we live in there are so many scenarios, so many localities, so much infighting and white noise on a local level, so much you can't plan for those things. the larger federal organization should be dictating the terms for success (and not just providing block grants and going "now make healthcare good", but really dictating the ideals of the system and holding themselves accountable financially to those dictates) and the timelines that are needed and saying "now you, the organs of local democracy are responsible on how to provide this service YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST PROVIDE AT THIS LEVEL OF QUALITY to your people"

the aca failed largely because it fell victim to the obama hillary wing of the party and their obsession with wonking everything to death and assuming that with a sufficient level of wonkiness and expertise everything would just work.

does this food court have a popeyes???????

It's the Aaron Sorkin disease, they think if we just put the smartest people together in a room they will reach the best solution which is a compromise in the center, bing bong so simple

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Duck genitalia be crazy, and Republicans get real angry when scientists study them

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/02/the-politics-of-funding-absurd-sounding-science/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

comedyblissoption posted:

the only way democrats will be able to nominate presidential candidates that didnt vote for the iraq war is to nominate someone who wasn't in congress at the time of the iraq war lol

NAYs ---23

Akaka (D-HI)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Boxer (D-CA)
Byrd (D-WV)
Chafee (R-RI)
Conrad (D-ND)
Corzine (D-NJ)
Dayton (D-MN)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Graham (D-FL)
Inouye (D-HI)
Jeffords (I-VT)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murray (D-WA)
Reed (D-RI)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Wellstone (D-MN)
Wyden (D-OR)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

zegermans posted:

though I guess that happens over time because holy gently caress I forgot we've been at war for 15 loving years

Good point, many of today's senior politicians were still in the House in 2002.

House nays:

(HI) Abercrombie
(ME) Allen
(CA) Baca
(WA) Baird
(ME) Baldacci
(WI) Baldwin
(WI) Barrett
(CA) Becerra
(OR) Blumenauer
(MI) Bonior
(PA) Brady
(FL) Brown
(OH) Brown
(CA) Capps
(MA) Capuano
(MD) Cardin
(IN) Carson
(MO) Clay
(NC) Clayton
(SC) Clyburn
(CA) Condit
(MI) Conyers
(IL) Costello
(PA) Coyne
(MD) Cummings
(CA) Davis
(IL) Davis
(OR) DeFazio
(CO) DeGette
(MA) Delahunt
(CT) DeLauro
(MI) Dingell
(TX) Doggett
(PA) Doyle
(TN) Duncan
(CA) Eshoo
(IL) Evans
(CA) Farr
(PA) Fattah
(CA) Filner
(MA) Frank
(TX) Gonzalez
(IL) Gutierrez
(FL) Hastings
(AL) Hilliard
(NY) Hinchey
(TX) Hinojosa
(NJ) Holt
(CA) Honda
(OR) Hooley
(IN) Hostettler
(NY) Houghton
(WA) Inslee
(IL) Jackson
(TX) Jackson-Lee
(TX) Johnson
(OH) Jones
(OH) Kaptur
(MI) Kildee
(MI) Kilpatrick
(WI) Kleczka
(OH) Kucinich
(NY) LaFalce
(RI) Langevin
(WA) Larsen
(CT) Larson
(IA) Leach
(CA) Lee
(MI) Levin
(GA) Lewis
(IL) Lipinski
(CA) Lofgren
(CT) Maloney
(CA) Matsui
(MO) McCarthy
(MN) McCollum
(WA) McDermott
(MA) McGovern
(GA) McKinney
(FL) Meek
(NY) Meeks
(NJ) Menendez
(CA) Millender-McDonald
(CA) Miller
(WV) Mollohan
(VA) Moran
(MD) Morella
(NY) Nadler
(CA) Napolitano
(MA) Neal
(MN) Oberstar
(WI) Obey
(MA) Olver
(NY) Owens
(NJ) Pallone
(AZ) Pastor
(TX) Paul
(NJ) Payne
(CA) Pelosi
(NC) Price
(WV) Rahall
(NY) Rangel
(TX) Reyes
(MI) Rivers
(TX) Rodriguez
(CA) Roybal-Allard
(IL) Rush
(MN) Sabo
(CA) Sanchez
(VT) Sanders
(OH) Sawyer
(IL) Schakowsky
(VA) Scott
(NY) Serrano
(NY) Slaughter
(AR) Snyder
(CA) Solis
(CA) Stark
(OH) Strickland
(MI) Stupak
(CA) Thompson
(MS) Thompson
(MA) Tierney
(NY) Towns
(CO) Udall
(NM) Udall
(NY) Velazquez
(IN) Visclosky
(CA) Waters
(CA) Watson
(NC) Watt
(CA) Woolsey
(OR) Wu

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Concerned Citizen posted:

Thread I have a new job I hope you're excited for me

My candidate voted for Bernie.

Congrats CC

If an old lady asks for a yard sign, please give her one
If a busload of volunteers shows up to volunteer, please do not order them to gently caress off back where they came from

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's weird because usually I don't find Jimmy Dore annoying at all and don't get the hate but I just couldn't get into that at all.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Goin back several pages for this, but Medicare isn't a singlepayer system and it's a mistake to characterize it as such.

Can you add a few sentences of explanation on this?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

DAMMIT TAMMY STEP UP

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Figuratively

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

“You just have to sort of figure out how to … balance the public and the private efforts that are necessary to be successful, politically, and that’s not just a comment about today,” Clinton said. “Politics is like sausage being made. It is unsavory, and it always has been that way, but we usually end up where we need to be. But if everybody’s watching, you know, all of the back room discussions and the deals, you know, then people get a little nervous, to say the least. So, you need both a public and a private position.”

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Crazy idea: maybe if your policies are ones that don't make the people "get a little nervous, to say the least", then you don't have to have different public and private positions.

Maybe you could just, you know, have policies that benefit all instead of only wealthy donors.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ThndrShk2k posted:

Yeah libraries are swank if funded.

Many of them also have integrated access to Project Gutenberg for free public domain ebooks, but if not you can alway use the wifi to manually get them from their website
https://www.gutenberg.org/

Incidentally Project Gutenberg is a good example of why current copyright protections are way way too strong.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Debate town hall isn't scheduled until 9 eastern

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

Speaking of card games, do people still play the Pokemon card game? Or did that die-off fifteen years ago?

still a thing

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I heard good things about the new Star Trek but for however long I need to buy a CBS streaming service to see it, that is how long I'm not going to see it

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I made a thread for TVIV of the debate:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835477

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

And now I'm regretting it because I need to refresh two pages instead of one

• Locked thread