Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

MMAgCh posted:

And Boon of the loving Hoarder yet again. :doh:

I did this on 1-2 GRifts when I was putting together my Avarice+Goldwrap+Hoarder combo. Then I realized there was no gold and moved back to normal items that weren't gold related. I hope this isn't my WD...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
Mind posting here? I'm in the same boat with my WD

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Ristolaz posted:

I levelled a DH to 70 and can manage T1, but what should I do to break through to higher levels? Should I farm up blood shards and death's breath on my crusader and use them to gamble/upgrade rares on DH, or just grind on the DH to get set items to drop?

Join LLKG (or another community) and leech a bunch of GR40/50 rifts with someone speed farming. Other than that gambling and upgrade rares. I find farming T1-T4 farming super slow for gear

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Maker Of Shoes posted:

LazyStorm.

It's basically the same as the Icy Veins Bone Storm build but 5 piece Inarius with Blind Faith and Frailty aura. I'm doing T13's/GR70's in 3-5 minutes depending on elite/pylon density.

I'm liking the auramancer build better. I think I'm about a minute faster on GR60 clears and I'm trying to get to GR70 speed farming but I need some more ancients to get enough toughness

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Overdrift posted:

Should I wait till I hit max level to do the challenge rift cache? I can't remember how much the loot is scaled for levels.

The only reason I can think to wait is if you want to get Custerian Wristguards to turn the gold into XP. Unless you are like SUPER serious about getting to 70 as quickly as possible I don't think it's worth the effort (I think it's like ~10 levels). I'd just open it at level one, get blood shards, and gamble. Bluddshed has some good "starter" videos for each class (what to gamble and generic leveling guides) that are like ~7 minutes.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

mekyabetsu posted:

My progresson has stalled at the chapter that makes you do a conquest. I have no idea how a solo player does any of those. I skimmed over some guides at icy veins, and they all sound like they involve more planning and effort than I'm willing to put in.

edit: Actually, now that I've got the hang of this DH GoD build, I could probably finish a TX rift in under 2 minutes with a little luck.

I used a GoD DH to complete my three Conquests. For Speed Demon I also used an Avarice Band to pick up the globes plus Nemesis bracers. Just remember the timer ends when you talk to Olek and close the rift. I did Avarice accidentally at some point when using boon+avarice band+goldwrap in a T16. The third I tried to do Curses but only got to like ~250 something. I ended up doing The Thrill with this build but dropping Bane of the Powerful for a ~70-80 Legacy of Dreams and it was easy.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
I'm trying to decide between necro, crusader, and barbarian for the next season. I usually end up with two characters in a season. Which class gets the most out of the extra slot in the cube? I was leaning towards necro and then barb as my secondary. I don't usually push very high (I did my first GR100+ last season) but like to just do some lower GR for speed, T16, etc when casually watching random YouTube videos. Last season I did monk WoL and PoJ and then DH with mostly GoD.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Took me almost a hundred legendary amulets until I found the haunted visions one. It was getting ridiculous, I had multiples of all the extra rare immunity amulets and pretty much every other possible amulet, except ess of johan for some reason. Also, afterwards, the third primal I found was scythe of the cycle, making it the first time ever I found a primal weapon that fits the build. RNG huh...

That sucks but glad you got it. I was super pissed about the stupid amulet except one dropped on my way to getting my 6 piece Haedrigs bag, sooo RNGesus blessed me. Still a super dumb dynamic for the set to absolutely require this extra legendary to have you set be really useful. I can't think of any other class set that has such a required legendary, definitely some that make your set go from T6 to T10 or made easier to use. Still nice throwing around in T10 waiting to get some more defense because in T11 I'm squishy

Also, the LoD gem is great getting started when your set sucks

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

bus hustler posted:

Not yet. It definitely feels like they rebalanced the game around the new mechanics - which is 100% totally fine, I'm just getting used to it.

How does the cube work? I get that you can extract things and they are level free, but how do you use them? Is the cube itself an item? A buff?

There's a cube in the act 1, 2, 3/4, and 5 hubs where you can interact with the cube. There's a few powers like
- Upgrade rare to legendary
- Turn a set item into another piece of the same set
- Re-roll legendary
- Change crafting materials into another type
- Extract legendary power

The last is the most important. You can stick a legendary into it and "extract" the powers of the item. It will destroy the item but there's a spot to equip a weapon, armor, or jewelry power (and this season a 4th slot that can be any of those slots). You can switch them out anytime you are in town and are saved in the quick switch closet. The extracted legendaries are always at the highest value they can roll, EX: increase X by 50-100% will always be 100% in the cube. Also, it works on low level legendaries too if you found some while leveling.

Also, you should be playing in the season if you aren't

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Beachcomber posted:

What do you think would be the best complementary character for a necromancer(build still undergoing) provided that both have to stay on the same screen (Switch)?

I would try to run characters that want to do damage at the same distance. So you probably don't want a melee character, otherwise anything would work

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Are the GoD/Satchel changes going to be impactful?

Yes, it's probably a better set for most normal players and sucks if you were pushing GR ~140+. The changes gave GoD more raw damage but less potential damage via piercing with large pulls. So easier for bounties, t16, and speed GR. At least that's my understanding. Still the best DH set

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Trip report, I had one scare that was just, wait what is that debuff? Oh I died apparently and was saved by my follower! On a T11 rift. I’ve moved back down to T10 after learning the two melee and non-physical damage resist legendary gems emanate, even though there is no tooltip for them. Grinding their levels now.

They don't emanate but do reduce the damage on your follower. That lets you use the all skills or reduce cool down follower tokens in t16 or low GRs instead of the never die

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

big cummers ONLY posted:

Is there a braindead wizard build? My buddy is max level for the first time and he's like me in that he prefers very simple builds. He had his heart set on Wizard and I couldn't convince him to roll Barb this season

Typhon is pretty simple. You just run around dropping hydras and pressing blizzard to proc winter flury when there's a yellow or a lot of density

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Target Practice posted:

For the new season, which set is the most OP for a casual player?

I'd say at best there are mediocre sets, everyone is going to be thrown away for a meta set. If I had to pick I'd say monk, demon hunter, barbarian, and witch doctor have the better starting sets. With maybe barbarian being the easiest because IK is just add big numbers and would be slightly easier to work in random legendaries.

I'm still going monk. Uliana is fun, there's the Inna set rework. and wave of light builds getting a pretty big buff. If you play in groups it might be easier to leech gear because monk will probably be the most common class

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
I think Barb and DH will have the easiest starts because their sets are just flat damage increases instead of needing a certain skill. For Wizard Vyr sucks to get started because you need all of the other items to get the set going. Necro isn't too bad. Still going monk which is in the middle of the pack for being annoying, where you'll want a Flow of Eternity to get the Seven Sided Strike cooldown lowered

Finding other classes ethereals is going to be REALLY uncommon. If you are going to want the transmogs you'll probably want to buy necro so you can play one to get drops. Sure smartloop COULD drop necro ethereals but the odds are going to be really small

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Oxyclean posted:

What should I know about this? What makes them easy to level / whats up with LoD?

Despite buying the Necro DLC I think I've barely played them lol, maybe this season is the one to amend that.

e: vvv FWIW, I bought it long ago.

I think it's just the corpse explosion gloves and maybe a 2 handed scythes is all that's needed to get started. Honestly I would play what you want. Whether it's lod or haedeig it's a small amount of your play time

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

The Repo Man posted:

Wish I had found this thread sooner. I'm still new to D3. If I'm reading right, Soul Shards won't transfer to non-seasonal characters, so should I just salvage all of the shards I have, including my rank 3 shard?

Do you plan to play your character out of seasons? If so it could be useful to salvage or burning them all for augments. I never play outside of a season so I just let everything rot in the mail because it’s a waste of time to categorize everything

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Volguus posted:

Oh, and delete former characters when the list fills up. At random.

I normally just rebirth characters which takes a non-seasonal character and makes them a level 1 season character.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Chakan posted:

T2, getting the ring would help make finishing the season journey much easier and I was just kinda hoping it would drop relatively quickly. In part because farming bounties is a zone-out thing and I’m trying to catch up to my friend who played ~10 hours more than me over the weekend so he already has one. I’ll probably just take my medicine and complete my set then try and figure it out on a higher difficulty.

This has the % chance in the Horadric Caches by tier. t2 only gets you 50%. I'd try at least t6 for 100% chance, at least know you'll get something. Also could just have your friend run much high bounties for you and leech (t13 is 2 drops per cache)

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

I want to say that you roll off the dexterity for coolsown reduction and just augment it with the fattest gem you can later.

I am not smart either but I'd roll off life per hit for area damage or CDR (going off maxroll). You already get a ton of recovery from Simplicity Gem (4% I think per hit)

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Suburban Dad posted:

Heh. I think I'll do dh on PC and barb on switch for my starters. For some dumb reason I really like playing for just long enough to do the journey, twice. If I'm still interested and wiz meteors turn out to be good, I'll try that as well. The wheel always tells me crusader or some other terrible class like necro. :can:

On Switch you can get massacre bonuses in Rifts, so it's not the worst way to level on console. However, I'm with you and suck at doing massacre bonuses and always did Rifts when playing on PC. I assume you know about Maxroll's 1-70 guide. I also like these guides from Team BRG for skill selection.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

swims posted:

Is there a way to edit a characters name on console after the character is made?

Make a new character and level them to 70. If you can get boosted it will take you a few minutes

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

boneration posted:

Been a long time since I played, are Necros still you firing off the big power then doing nothing until it recharges?

Check out maxroll.gg for some guides but there's a couple of "nova" builds using the updated Trag'oul or there's a LoD nova build. There's also the reworked last season (?) Rathma Army of the Dead. There's still corpse explosion builds that require Land of the Dead (the big power) but it's not required to play them.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Suburban Dad posted:

No this is still the case for your legendary gems. EN gives you a level 125 gem (assuming you clear >= 125)that's only used for augmenting. You still have to level your other ones for your jewelry slots.

I believe Diephoon means running the billion rifts to level a sacrificial legendary gem for an augment is not needed with the Echoing Nightmare. The legendary gems that you use equip still need to be leveled via running GRs. I'm glad for the change because depending on how many builds/classes you could be looking at ~8-10 gems to level which is a lot of speed GRs

marshalljim posted:

Any tips on leveling wiz if you cube up empty on useful stuff from your cache? Is this Icy Veins leveling build reasonable? Was gonna go for massacre bonuses in Temple of the Firstborn either way.

That seems reasonable, if you don't have any multipliers it's just disintegrate until 70 and really through your Haedrig's set as well. This level guide looks about the same except hydra instead of explosive blast which I would probably do.

Going to play Wizard for me, I love Tal so happy to see it buffed to the moon. I usually end up playing a second class and thinking Necro because of Trags. Also, going to be the first season I try the boss rush conquest on Switch. Worst case I'll end up doing the 8 sets, I think the Wizard ones are fairly easy and Necro is stupidly easy.

DH and Barb got the most interesting S27 powers but I played DH last two seasons and spinning daggers doesn't excite me. The Barb power is cool if you want to zBarb or push but I generally just do speed GRs until I get bored and leave so the whirlwind power isn't as interesting.

I think for the OP mentioning Echoing Nightmares for augments and to do them even as a casual is important. I would also add the follower rework. All of this should just link to Maxroll but I think it's good to point at the highlights to other goons. Also link to the 1-70 level guide on Maxroll. I think it's missing a couple of steps which is to craft all new yellows at 61 for a big power spike. If you are on console you can get massacre bonuses in Rifts. Happy Season 27!

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

They have these, funnily enough. They're called Orek's Dream and you've got about a 1/20 chance of opening them on a progression GR tier.

Not quite. Oreks Dream is more like we picked the "best" mob and map tiles and only picked from those. It's still "random" just the random elements are constrained to the better picks

Philman posted:

I like the end game and how it works, but I don't think it's explained well. I'm going thru the seasonal objectives which is guiding me but it's difficult to figure out what's going on. For example, I can't pick up blood shards but they keep dropping all the time and I don't know why.

Yeah it's not really spelled out for you and I don't see anything on Maxroll. If you do need some help about what to do for the D3 end game you can ask here for a more detailed explanation. The quick run down is running T16 rifts to get keys to run Greater Rifts for XP, loot, and level your legendary gems. Using Blood Shards to gamble for armor/amulet/rings and your Death Breaths to upgrade yellows to legendary items.

gariig fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 21, 2022

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
I think the biggest difference between d2 and d3 is that within d3 you can expect to see "most" of the content within a reasonable amount of hours. In d3 if you start a season and put ~20 hours or so in you can level to 70, complete Haedrigs gift (gives you a free 6 piece set bonus which is a huge power spike), and complete most/all builds of your class from maxroll.gg. Sure you won't be paragon 2000 or be on the leaderboard but you are doing mostly the same content as someone on a leaderboard, just with a lower level. Also, you basically can't make a decision that is destructive except for your gender and class. The class part can be overcome by just leveling a new character which is not too bad.

With d2 there's huge gotchas in picking a class. Want to play melee? You are worse off than any caster because melee needs to actually "hit" something where as in d3 melee characters always hit just like a caster does in d2. There's a bunch of metagame stuff that you need to know if you want to have an easier time. Like runewords. Put the runewords in the wrong order, effectively gone. Put the runewords into a blue/yellow, effectively gone. Want a Spirit (pretty cheap but really great weapon)? Better know to farm cow level on normal to use your "socket an item" for a glass sword because use too low of an ilvl (a hidden level that you can't see) and you won't get 4 sockets but use too high if an ilvl and you might get 5 sockets and Spirit needs 4. Also, you statistically won't even start to get "cheap" high end gear. Don't expect an Enigma (a runeword that makes your chest piece give you teleport) or any of the other "cheap" items. Want to be a fire wizard, lightning amazon, or another single element class? Hell is going to suck for you because there are immunities that you need to deal with.

I wish d2 just wasn't so obtuse and punishing, it's kind of fun. However, if you are playing by yourself and not trading you are basically locked out of most of the game. Where in d3 you get to see the same game just with smaller numbers.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

AlbertFlasher posted:

EDIT: In regards to followers they are important but only for their skills. They don't kill anything and their attributes don't add much to yours so you can ignore them. The only thing they really need are the "followers item" that makes them invincible.

Main stat for each followed makes their skills more potent so you should try to get them appropriate +str, +dex, or +int for your follower. However, I usually just end up rerolling the main stat on items for them on a character that will get the appropriate stat. The try hard version is to reroll the item in the cube on a character that gets the appropriate main stat

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
The other option is necro but the Haedrig gift is the Masquerade set and you REALLY, REALLY need the Haunted Vision amulet for the set to come together. Getting one particular amulet SUCKS. So if you go necro generally most people suggest going LoD (running non-set) until you get a set and going with that. There's also witch doctor. However, I'd go monk. PoJ is fun like KenBearlLOLOL said. The Inna set is also fun for t16 and bounties.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

RodShaft posted:

So, do I wait till level 18 to run the vault on console to get the gems, or does it not matter?

You are better off doing the easy boss bounties. I wouldn't burn a goblin amiibo at the chance for diamonds when zulton and magdha are right there

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yo yo. I just got this on Switch. I haven’t played the game since about 2012. Someone in the switch thread said I should just start with the Season mode for new game. That about right?

If you want an easier time and some hand holding this guide is pretty good. It's a bit sweaty this season with the level 18 Necro but you can do it on your main character but at a lower starting level

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

McCoy Pauley posted:

Two quick questions:

--I need to clear GR60 in order to carry the 1100 blood shards I need for the first blood shard sacrifice at the Altar, right?
Yes but on console you can't pick up shards unless you have room. Which means you'll need 63 so you can gamble shards to get over 1100 in your inventory to sacrifice. The other possible way is getting shards from a blood goblin but an extra three grs is probably easier.

McCoy Pauley posted:

--I just did a GR where there was like a blue haze all over the screen. I thought it was some graphical error at first, but the game ran fine. not sure anything was really different about the GR other than there were a lot of guys and more pylons on one level than, I think, is normal. What was that?
That's Orek's Dream which gives only better map tiles and monster choices

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks. So it's not like what it would take to level a regular legendary gem to 125. That's good.

Does this mean I also need these for the Altar tier asking for "Any Augmented Weapon"?

You only need a level 30 gem to augment a weapon so I'd just level one manually. You want the 125 petrified screams for your own gear.
Don't forget you can transmute gems from one color to another 9 at a time. You make 9 level 9 gems, transmute to the color you want, then make your 3 level 10 gems.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
Looks like PoJ is one of those sets that needs 6 piece bonus or nothing. Maxroll has an example monk that should do gr20. If you have the challenge rift cache can make a level 1 monk and go for crudest boots (it's the only legendary boot) and try upgrading a daibo which even a crappy one gives you a legendary weapon. I would also reroll the yellows you are wearing to give better stats, a few correct +skill rolls and element damage is a huge damage boost

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

watchoutitsabear posted:

Came here brand new to the series looking for advice and this sounds great, thank you! I started a non-seasonal monk and got to level 20 over the weekend and had a blast. It looks like folks are anticipating the next season starting April 15, if that's true is there enough time for me to get any rewards if I restart with a new seasonal character now or should I just keep chugging along with my monk until the next season starts? I won't be able to play for more than an hour or two a day.

Not sure where you got April 15 but it's most definitely not April 15. Season 27 (the last season) went from August 26 to Feb 19 and Season 28 (current) started February 24. With D4 launch soon no one is looking at D3 (or D2). Which means you have time! Also, doing a season you can do the Season Journey which has you doing a bunch of in-game activities that will give you the 6 piece Patterns of Justice set along with access to the season buff the Altar of Rites which has you giving up items in game for huge buffs.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Eventually you will need both staves to progress into GR135+ since the stacking effect from Smoldering Core is too good against high HP elites to ignore. But if your Viz is already decent then a good candidate for your crafted primal would be the Halo of Karini, which is difficult to roll well.

Another option is cube a Halo of Karini and wear the Ring of Royal Grandeur, letting you free primal your staff. Sure a Karini can roll better stats but you also need a high (77+) roll on the affix which is hard. RoRG has a fixed affix and is easy-ish to solo farm in act 1 bounties.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

BRJurgis posted:

Oh man... I only just realized boss rush mode is from the start of the game (match session w/e) not the character. Wow. I may be a dumbass but even this dumbass can achieve that! Aether walker in the cube, LoD, Hoarder, and Stricken gems, worship gloves and Goldskin on merc. With a little luck and maybe a few tries this should be cake.

Are you playing console or PC? On PC it's very doable but on console it's very hard to accomplish solo. There are guides online to do it but it's a very very tight timer. All those long load times? That counts to you need to beat all bosses within 20 minutes of starting not 20 minutes of playable time.

Curses is similar because console spawns in fewer enemies so it's harder to reach 350 kills. Where it's pretty trivial to reach on PC.

I just did the 6 set dungeons over 2 characters. All 4 Necro ones are stupid easy.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Lid posted:

The last time this was a harder choice but this time there's no reason not to save the cache. The visions of enmity are the difference maker here as they provide the mats that will be needed. The guides being put out seem to forget visions and darkening are happening too only focusing on the altar rather than the changes those bring.

Except the Altar +damage/+defense nodes have been nerfed so getting a complete altar isn't as big of a power spike. Like Dameius said if you might get stuck at the Challenge Rift cache for a long period over the weekend than save it. Checkout the Seal Unlocking Guide to see if you will do all the steps before step 15. Probably the biggest blocker is needing a Ramaladni's Gift (the thing that adds a socket to weapons). I'm using my cache because I think you can get all of the nice QoL with 14 nodes and I'm probably not blasting hard enough to get a Ramaladni's Gift.

edit: I like this guide

gariig fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 11, 2024

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
Since forgotten souls are the major blocker to using all my other mats, so what can I do with those other mats? Also, was super unlucky with 14 reforges on a puzzle ring so I'm out of forgotten souls which is why I'm asking. I wish they'd up how many forgotten souls you got when salvaging a legendary.

EDIT: Forgot about upgrading yellows into legendaries. Not exactly an efficient use of mats but it is something to do with all of them.

gariig fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 16, 2024

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

velcro and proud posted:

So I'm back to D3 and decided to start a new seasonal character and just plugging away. I'm seeing people are already done with season journey after a few hours and OH MY GOD WHAT AM I EVEN DOING WRONG? I've started on bounties because you eventually need the materials to get cube powers, etc. Killed a few bosses. Are there helpers on PS5 or something? If you find BloatedOsprey can you please hold his hand through this? God, I'm terrible at games.

If you mean for your journey you need a set of full bounties to complete one of the chapters. After that, you should be running Visions of Enmity. Which basically run around the overworld killing things and randomly a portal will open. Inside is a string of small arenas and at the bottom is a single goblin that will spawn a chest with a bunch of bounty mats, rift keys, and loot. The Vision of Enmity will also have rift guardians, tons of blues for DBs, and the loot drop rate after ~5 floors is insane. I generally do act 1/2/3 bounties by myself while trying to get these to spawn to get the bags to get a RoRG, Avarice, etc.

Also, are you doing the Altar of Rites? A bunch of REALLY nice QoL items in there plus a small bump in power. Also, the altar wants you to "sacrifice" primals to it (or the ashes you get from destroying a primal).

Unfortunately, I play on Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Boatswain posted:

According to maxroll this is the order of priority:

1. Socket Ramaladni's Gift
2. Cooldown Reduction
3. Area Damage
4. Life per Hit
5. Attack Speed
6. Strength

So Life per Hit I guess?

That looks like the stat priorities for LoN Bombardment and not Invoker. For Invoker it looks like damage range for Attack Speed would be best but I'd go for anything because I bet re-rolling damage range SUCKS. I wouldn't try for a socket and wait for a gift if I got a useful stat before the socket.