Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cage posted:

I just beat it today. Even the end credits are really great.

Well, now I have to finish that final boss.

Cage posted:

I like the concept of having a candy dish on my desk, but god drat if the morning people don't clean it out within a few hours of bringing stuff out. I've learned I'm passive aggressive nice.

Your solution there is sugar free Haribo Gummi Bears.

SO, in an effort to eliminate the squeaking in the belt drive in my Crown Vic, I bought both the idler and the tensioner pulley. Changed out the idler pulley first, since it's easier, to no avail. went to swap the tensioner pulley and realized that I'd managed to bu the "smooth" version of the idler rather than the tensioner pulley (tensioner pulley is 70mm, what I bought is 90mm.) Exchanged that with Amazon last week, eating $8 in shipping, for the correct one, Gates 38006. Well, Gates did NOT pay attention to ford's design.
The Ford (and everyone but Gates') pulley looks like this:

Gates' looks like this:

Note the larger tapered depression in the Ford style part. that's important to clear the casting of the actual tensioner arm. You can't mount it the other way, because the bearing is offset, and the pulley will rub against the timing cover, making an awful racket (ask me how I know - this is, incidentally, why I now can't send this piece of poo poo back to Amazon, as it's scraped up but good.)

I guess I will try to press the bearings out and swap them, then get a Dayco that's the correct design when that fails. I thought I could trust Gates. Fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cage posted:

:yeah: The Spider mastermind? He whooped me a few times but then suddenly it was a breeze, make use of those pillars and bean him in the brain.

Yes, that critter. Keeps kicking my rear end.

quote:

Credit spoiler: Seeing them recreate the original Doom boxart in 3D was drat cool. I want it as my desktop background.

The Xbox version of the game came with reversible case art. You can use the new artwork, or flip it round for old-school art.

quote:

Thats just evil. I like it.

I can't claim it. I saw that as a suggestion when the... unique properties of the sugar-free Bears was discussed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

And I want to do the sugar free gummy bears thing but I'd have to tell the people I do like not to eat them and why and then it'd spread and I'd probably get told off.

They're fine if you don't eat them by the handful.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

monsterzero posted:

Then what's the point?

The moochers *will* eat them by the handful. And he won't warn them not to.

redgubbinz posted:

The LA Beast (an idiot on youtube) ate an entire 5lb bag of them on camera, with predictable results. And so do many of my coworkers on a daily basis, if the state of the bathroom at work is any indication.

Is that the guy who got a technicolor yawn, quite literally, afterward (before the but cannon fired)?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Why the gently caress would you eat anything that you know is going to erupt from your rear end in a forceful spray later?????

Hello, welcome to The Internet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

More fool him

For your daily dose of rear end in a top hat cats....

http://imgur.com/gallery/RG41L#4jWu8fn

He (I assume that's not you, just from the lack of RX-7s or Subarus in the other pictures) just nearly killed me with "illiterate grundle-vultures."

fake edit: and "off-key dick trumpets."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I've kind of muddied the details but basically she was the community manager here. That came with a free apartment. Then her father got cancer and she needed to be there for him so she stepped down to the leasing agent position. This meant our rent was $800 a month but that's fine, it's roughly what we paid for a place half this size and here we get a garage and driveway.
The promotion will put her in charge of the community on the other side of town but drops our rent back to sub $100 a month. So yeah, we could stay here forever if we wanted. But the community rules have been tightened quite a bit. I'm now not allowed to work on cars with the garage door open and they don't even want people washing their cars in their driveways. There's a few other things that are starting to be annoying so I'm all for getting gone. We have no timetable on house buying but since we're probably gonna stay here we both are leaning in that direction.

Realistically, starting April 1st I am pretty much debt free and could sack away $500 a month towards a house.

I love how certain people seem to feel that the details and necessities of getting poo poo done are somehow vulgar and need to be hidden away from polite company. I guess working on and washing your own car are for plebeians, whom they definitely don't want living in their apartments. I bet they don't know how sausage is made, either.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Sell it before you get too hard-headed about the eventuality of it running and the years of sunk cost and time into that loving bmw

That sounds strangely specific...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Anyone know what happened to ReelBigLizard and his Network Traffic story? Original thread is locked, and a quick glance doesn't show a new one.
I was really digging that tale.

edit: whoa, CSB! That's a heck of a life change. More power to you, since you seem to know what you're doing. Keep on posting. It's cool to see what other bits of the world are doing.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 7, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nm posted:

JFC

edit: House chat

Who wants to loan me $1.25 million?

It has a lift!

edit2:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1133-8th-Ave-Sacramento-CA-95818/25795594_zpid/

They do a pretty good of hiding that your neighbors across the street are a kind crappy apartment complex and a gas station, but it is in one of two nicest neighborhoods in the city. The end of the photos show what you can do with an 8 car garage.

Holy crap, I love everything about that house except that it's in California (for the cost of living, mainly) and the price, obviously. While I'd like several more acres of land, the garage helps mitigate that need.

Cached Money posted:

This, also get some goddamn peaches y'all (paraguayos/flat peaches is a pro buy).

Parker County (Texas) Peach Festival was this past Saturday. Came home with a bushel of peaches that will become peach preserves. Only spent a couple of hour at the festival itself, because 90-something degrees F, humid, and way too many people in too small a place standing in too long line to buy overpriced stuff. So, you know, like any fair or festival.
Got to visit my folks, too.

I forgot to post that the last time I visited, dad gave me a Hobart Handler 135 that he had rescued and fixed. that made me happy.

It's slight years beyond the crackerbox Harbor Freight fluxcore-only welder I got (which did what I needed it to do fro all of $82, so no complaints.) I've only used the Hobart with fluxcore so far, since I need to source and fill a gas bottle, and they're not inexpensive if you want to own. For as little as I currently weld, there's absolutely no way I'm going to rent.
Dad also offerred this to me for he and I to repair and restore:

I'm stoked about that! It's small enough to fit in my garage, and just a cursory Google shows it to be a very popular machine that was made for many years. And the 9A has all the bells and whistles, like threading. I've already grabbed service manuals, user manuals and training videos from the net for it. Best part is some of these manuals go back to the '10s, but they made the machines up to the '80s! I'll have to get the serial number and such to figure out when mine was made. It's been stored outside, so there will be a lot of Evaporust and/or electrolytic de-rusting involved. possibly a few parts, but nothing major is missing or broken.

Now I just need a little mill.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

beep-beep car is go posted:

When my daughter was born, she took one look at sleep and said "that poo poo ain't for me." From birth to 11 months old or so she slept in 30-45 minute increments. One night my phone logged me walking 5 miles up and down the hallway trying to get her to sleep.

So good luck!

We got lucky. My daughter generally slept well, only waking when hungry at night. Of course, now that she's a teenager, she's asleep like half the day...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fo3 posted:

Conversation that happened today with my 4y/o (his words in italics):
"and this is my crane"
"crane!" yelled in disbelief because he knows cranes are supposed to be big.
"engine crane, to pull out and fix engines"
"can you fix my subaru, the engine is broken and out on the lawn"
"I probably can't but I know someone who can, do you like cats?"
"yes I like cats, does he live on our street"
"no, he's on the internet"
*kid goes on hand and knees and wails "who will fix my subaru?"

Then we played cops and robbers.
No photos because he's too young to give informed consent.

God, that's adorably awesome.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

I love it, those are the stories you remember and then repeat to anyone who will listen, much to their embarrassment. My daughter is very tired of me telling everyone she got straight As in honors courses this year. I can't stop though.

I'm sure that my daughter, who is now 15, will eventually hate me for relating the story from when she was 3 or so, riding in my RX-7, and SRV's "Texas Flood" was on the radio. When I went to around to unbuckle her from her seat, she looked up at me and say "There's flooding down in Texas", and I had to respond, "yes, and all the telephone lines are down." I was so proud, and utterly amazed that she had managed to pick that line up from the song.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Welp there's yer problem.

Old compressor was definitely an OEM one (has GM and Sanden stickers on it, no reman stickers anywhere), but the bolts holding it to the engine were finger tight. :stare: System was also loaded up with UV dye. So someone's been in here before.

Think I dodged a bullet. Old compressor is a little rough when turning it. Didn't see any shavings though.

Geeze - I didn't see the clutch detail on my phone when you pinged me. That's hosed proper.

Enourmo posted:

Man I am getting pretty goddamn sick of the world not being built for someone with my frame. Being fat I can deal with, but I'm pretty goddamn sick of, when I'm at school, choosing between:

A) Sticking my feet way the gently caress out in the aisle, when such luxury is available to me
B) Jamming my knee up into the little postage stamp desk on exam days where I need it to write
C) Crossing my feet over each other to where I'm basically sitting indian style while in a chair, which puts all the weight of my legs on the edge of my feet, to where they're starting to hurt while I walk

Please tell me that loving adult jobs have the option of adult-sized furniture where this won't be an issue. I'm having to make a lift for my new office chair because I have the same issue (and my desk, too) at home.

And don't you shortasses come whining about me not being grateful for the ~~blessing~~ of being tall; you can get a stool, I'm stuck with these loving redwood legs for the rest of my life. I have to shove the brake pedal to the floor to get my knee under the steering wheel when I get in the car, and I drive a crown vic.

Username/post combo.

I'm 6'2" and don't have quite those issues, but that's tall enough to begin to feel your pain. I can't drive a Miata first gen at all with the top up, and barely with the top down. 3rd gen I can drive but still not terribly comfortable. Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice are right out. I could drive the Fiat 500 if they hadn't mounted the seat on a scaffolding (there's plenty of actual vertical distance inside the car, but they mounted the seat like 2 feet off the floor, so it crams my head against the roof.Damned short Italians.) Hell. I just barely fit in my first and second gen RX-7s. 3rd gen is a tight fit, and forget a helmet unless there's a custom lower-mounted and/or thinner racing seat.

As far as work and desk/chair size: YMMV, in my experience. Some desks are way too short, some are better. Good news is that usually, with cubicles, you can move them around, since the desktop just hangs like a shelf. Chairs are a crap shoot, though most of them I are about right for me at their highest extension.

Enourmo posted:

6'5". I'm at that magic proportion, too, where both my legs and torso are inconveniently long.

Yeah, me, too. Evenly split between legs and upper body.

Previa_fun posted:

I'm 5'6 with short legs, AMA.

Pros: Can fit in sports cars and airline seats semi comfortably.
Cons: No woman will sleep with me.

5/10 would not manlet again.

Oh, god, don't even talk to me about airline seats. I can't even imaging Enourmo in coach.
On the plus side, I can reach stuff in the overhead bin great!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Something is pushing me to want to buy a CNC machine. Something that I can start making billet aluminum parts from. It seems like there would be demand to have access to a machine like that. I am saying that as while I feel confident in my current occupation it is always good to have something in reserve. I am wanting to either look into manufacturing/selling things or learn some sort of high paying skill trade. I don't even know where to begin on this though. It is normal to have thoughts like this, right?

For us? Yes.
If you're any kind of handy with electronics and computers, you can buy an older (analog?) CNC and upgrade it to a more modern system using a PC and some interface boards, along with new steppers. My late brother in law was doing this as a side business, as well as to get cheaper machines for his machine shop business. He was going to coach me through refitting one of the machines for my own use, but sadly, the cancer got him before we had a chance. It would have been entertaining getting the mill into my garage, but I was willing to try.
If we can figure out which machine he was wanting to give me, I still want to give it a try.

Speaking of home fabrication, what's AI's recommendations for a 3D printer? Unfortunately, I can't really spend $1500 on one, so what's the best bang/buck? What I've read so far, the Monoprice Maker series are very good for the price, and support Open source and standard G-code, with a lot of features not normally found at the price point. I can swing $400 for a Maker Select Plus. there really doesn't seem to be much below $500. Hell, there's not a lot below $1000.
I want to make widgets!

Kind of inspired by the guy making wiper and pop-up headlight bushings for RX-7s (they're unobtainium unless you buy a whole linkage).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

400 pictures of eels and/or associated slime, not one of the overturned truck.

edit: maybe that's it in the distance in a couple of the pics?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

"He just buys lovely cars because of brain damage"

Story of my life

What did you buy this time? Or is that just a general statement?

ZincBoy posted:

The older CNC thing is a bit of a crap shoot unless you know what you are doing. Many of the old machines have been ridden hard and put away wet and if you don't know what to look for, you will have a pile of scrap. Just check the mechanical workings of any machine before starting on the conversion and return it to the scrap yard if it is too horribly worn. I haven't converted an old machine but have converted a manual to CNC with decent results.

Worth noting, indeed. I've not done anything in this direction, and it will likely be some time if and when I try a conversion myself. I know just enough about machine tools to get myself in trouble, though my dad is an engineer with machine shop experience, and I took metal shop in high school (manual tools only), so I do know a few basics, at least. Not enough to evaluate a machine - i'll let dad handle that for me.

quote:

That being said, I mostly print things these days as 3d printers are fire and forget once you get them dialed in. I have several of the Monoprice Maker Ultimate printers. They tend to go on sale from time to time and I picked mine up for $500 each. They can use a few inexpensive upgrades like an all-metal hot end if you want to print more automotive compatible plastics. It is great to prototype with the 3d printer and machine the final version. I have also printed suspension bushing boots using X60 TPU that have worked great (need a flexion extruder for this).

Thanks. I could probably swing that much for the Maker Ultimate. I get that the four-post design is going to be more stable, and therefore more precise than the two-post design of the lower-end Makers. I see that there's a 3D printing thread, but it's got a bazillion (old) posts, and, frankly, I trust you guys more than SA as a whole...

keykey posted:

Serious question time, when the hell did brake pads stop coming with wear indicators? Apparently, my wife's 2013 Taurus doesn't have them and neither do any of the aftermarket pads for it. I got to change out pads and front rotors tonight and apparently need to look at those fuckers more often now that I know the only wear indicator involved is rotor replacement time... It just boggles my mind that a safety item like that wouldn't be standard much less manufacturers cheaping out and not adding in a $.02 piece of metal. Did the bean counters just not account for a markup on that poo poo?!? gently caress...

I noticed that on the Centrics I put on my Crown Vic, and the existing pads that were on it. Not sure why the wear indicators are going away. Perhaps the manufacturers want to sell more rotors after we grind them up with the pad backing?

quote="cursedshitbox" post="474351932"]
Six hours from now I board a train that takes me to Kiev then to Pripyat/Chernobyl.
[/quote]

This is a trip I'd like to make. There's just something about it, ever since I learned about it in the Call of Duty mission featuring Pripyat. It's just eerie.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So the Goodwill down the road has a Kirby vacuum for a not horrible price.

.... They also have walkers. I feel 80 just from knowing what a Kirby is.

I'm probably going to grab one of those things on Friday.

You want a Dyson? I have a DC07 that the neighbors threw away because they're stupid never-clean-or-maintenance anything users (they leave they're kid's carseat out in the driveway all the time, in rain, sun, whatever. currently, their lawnmower is in the middle of the yard, and has been for several days, along with the gas can. And the lawn is half [rear end] mowed. Bet they always bitch about how nothing lasts, too.) The Dyson needs a belt, and could use a hose ($15 for a knockoff. It has tears that are currently vinyl-taped), and the catch on the bottom of the dustbin is broken, so you have to hold it closed when you remove to dump it. Works fine, other than the beater bar not running due to the belt. I have enough vacuums as is. I cleaned it up and out, figure out what wasn't working besides being clogged up from never cleaning it. $cheap as is, $30-50 more if fixed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, guys, talk me out of this house:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/414-S-New-Hope-Rd-Kennedale-TX-76060/29172265_zpid/

(The pictures towards the end are what interest me, beyond the TWO ACRE lot. Note in those pictures that the guy clearly has the right stuff)

I see nothing that I hate, that can't be changed with wallpaper and paint (that bathroom...)

Better still, take a look at the Google Maps satellite view:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...5!4d-97.2198324

That runway-looking thing to the southwest? that's an 1/8th mile dragstrip. Further down the road is the local dirt track. Up and down the major road to the east (Kennedale Pkwy) are multiple wrecking yards and industrial supply shops. Basically, all stuff that would drive off a normal buyer, but are bonuses to me. My wife is cool with it. She says she'll put up with the drag racing noise if it means she can park her car in the (apparently 3-CAR WIDE, 2 CAR DEEP) 2-car garage.

I realize that all the pics are from a fish-eye lens, which makes everything look bigger, but the house is still 400 sq. ft. more than my current place, not counting the shop and such. any decision will be after advice from my financial adviser on the feasibility of being able to afford it (would be 1.5-2x my current mortgage), and a home inspection.
I kind of hope the 40-foot container goes with the house. I can live with the cedar shake siding. Would add 10-20 minutes to my commute, before traffic, which I could also live with to get space and privacy for my uncouth hobbies.

Also holy poo poo that kitchen storage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

monsterzero posted:

I think one of my Subaru's heads is warped. I don't have a very good straight edge, but it seems like theres a high spot between two of the cylinders. I'm planning on taking everything into the machine shop tomorrow. I'll ask them to check that head for true, and if it's warped stop (and I'll over an overnight JDM engine.) Kind of a bummer because (afaik) despite the head gasket failing we never overheated the engine.
I kind of suspect that maybe that engine overheated a couple years ago with the PO because there was a slight external coolant leak on this head. We might have just been lucky and got 38k out of a marginal HG.

Edit:

Those cabinet hinges though. Who designed that kitchen, the man in the iron mask?

Seriously though, that's rad as gently caress. I wish I could find/afford something half as awesome here. :ca:

My wife noted the hinges. color matching them would diminish the effect somewhat. On the plus side, if those are the actual hinges rather than cosmetic, they'll be much sturdier and more well-attached than the poo poo on my current cabinets.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Holy poo poo the 60s are strong with that one.

Talk you out of it? Check for aluminum wiring (though I don't think Al wiring became very common until a few years after that was built). That siding needs a lot of love to bring it back. The commute to work. Beyond that, just needs updating. That garage... and right by a dirt track? :swoon:

Dirt track, drag strip, wrecking yards, industrial supplies. Hang on, need to check where the nearest Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, and/or Tractor Supply are.
And with 2 acres, I could just *build* another house if I decide I hate the existing one...

quote:

Nah, thanks though. I was interested in the Kirby more because it'll outlive me. The vacuum I have now works well.

Funny you mention how you got it though. The vacuum I have now (a Eureka bagless upright) was found in a dumpster about 10 years ago at my last apartment. Clogged, dirty, and a pet had made a chew toy out of the cord Changed the filter, unclogged it, and patched up the cord. In the 10 years since, I've replaced the beater brush once, the filter a couple more times, and it's gone through a few belts. I'm probably into it for about $50 total.

Sometimes it's good to be someone who can fix stuff.

edit:
HF in Arlington on the way to/from work. For that matter, there's one in Irving not far off my potential route.
Northern Tool also on the route, in Grand Prairie.
Tractor Supply in Mansfield (5 miles).
Home Depot in Mansfield (ditto). Lowes same.
Grocery stores a few miles.

Whelp. guess it's time to ask my finance guy if I can afford it.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 17, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cop Porn Popper posted:

At worst you'd just have to swing up into Arlington to get something. As for the strip, my dad lives a short drive over in everman and we could hear the cars running if we sat outside, but it never went too late. I also grew up just nort of there by lake arlington. All in all, a chill place to live.

Edit: The commute to irving is a bit of a bitch. My dad did it off and on as work necessitated, but ultimately say gently caress it due to the time required for that commute. Also, there are a poo poo ton more stores and such along I-20 in between cooper and collins there in arlington for non hardware needs.

Google is predicting 45 minutes to an hour at my normal leave time, for about 35 miles, and about the same in the mornings. My current drive is 20-30 minutes. I'm willing to put up with more traffic/drive time in order to get land and privacy. I have a coworker who lives in Canton (70 miles from work - he bought his grandmother's place), so this is still better than his commute, but he does it for the same reasons. And yeah, he bought a little Mitsu Charade for the commute.

Larrymer posted:

Have a serious sit down with your boss. If he isn't receptive then start looking.

This. Not that I'm very good at that sort of thing, myself. It's at least worth a try.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I have a question

What makes a steering wheel do this?

Never, ever cleaning it, treating it, or using a sunshade. It's just foam with a smooth skin. The skin shrinks just like a vinyl dash, but it's way thinner. Notice the complete lack of care for the leather seats. Same root cause.

InitialDave posted:

Was it owned by a woman?

No, seriously. It seems that a common cause of that stuff on contact points of interior trim is hand cream/moisturiser, there's something about it that attacks them. I don't know if it's because men generally don't use the stuff, or if they do, it's a different type, but usually when I see that damage, it's a girl's car.

This is definitely true of PC keyboards and mice. Hand cream is amazing at removing the lettering. In this case, i think it's just sun damage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Hey isn't it funny when you find out someone you've had a major boner for crush on randomly spills that they've the same for you...

And also that they're a massive racist.

Dang. Good news/bad news.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

My wife loves Miatas too but hates almost literally every other car I have an interest in or could afford. No stupid vans, no Volvo wagons, no 90s Japanese warm hatches for me.

Her dream car is a Viper GTS and if I won the lottery tomorrow I'd buy her one and she'd definitely kill herself in it. :shobon:

Mt wife actually likes my '70 Cutlass - she said as much when we met - but, while not negative toward my RX-7s, doesn't particularly give a poo poo about them. The Crown Vic is just a car to her. She loves her Spectra5, but would really like to upgrade to the "stuff" capacity of a Soul. At least she likes/prefers manual transmissions. She doesn't give me crap about what I drive, at least. She detests, BMWs and Cadillacs, but that's more the drivers/type of people who tend to own them than the cars themselves.

cursedshitbox posted:

Phone won't stop ringing? More like I'm perched on the wing of a b52 during takeoff.

I can't hear poo poo humans speak, but boyyyyy howdy if there is one slight tink amiss inside of an engine I know it before anyfuckingbodyelse.

Selection bias?

bolind posted:

All this hearing loss talk, I should probably get tested. If I'm frying something at the stove I can't hear a single word my wife is saying.

Isn't that just because it's mostlywhite noise, like running water?

stump posted:

Finally got to try a car with Apple CarPlay. What a disappointment - it's worse in many ways than a decent Bluetooth unit.

- Can't use google maps / waze / whatever.

This, I hate. I'm thinking about an aftrermarket CarPlay head, and this just steams me. I *like* Waze, dammit.

quote:

- Can't have one app up on the phone and one on the dash - i.e. nav and music.

Why do you need this? You can't have two apps showing on the phone, either. Use the music controls to change tracks or whatever. Or switch apps briefly.

quote:

- Can't connect one phone via CarPlay and another via Bluetooth.

May be a limitation of the head itself? Silly, either way, but made it simpler for the programmers, I expect.

quote:

- Can't make a phone call using steering wheel controls.

Well, that's just dumb. Not like that would be a new feature or anything.

quote:

- Spotify and Overcast apps are buggy as poo poo - at one point I opened Overcast, which launched on the phone, but CarPlay opened Spotify.

As you say, that might be down to the head unit itself rather than CarPlay per se.

quote:

Some of these may be down to the head unit ('17 VW Tiguan) but it's just a bit poo poo. Aside from having a big screen I don't see the benefit (aside from :cop: ) above Bluetooth and a decent phone mount. A lot of cars even have a Siri / Cortana / whatever button.

The only thing I liked was apple maps gave me nav on the car screen with the next 5 instructions on my phone.

Is the Android implementation any better?

Please don't turn this into general Apple vs Android proselytising .

Dang. I wish there was a better way to try it out than spend $400 and up in a head unit.

stump posted:

On the subject of charging... when will car / head unit manufacturers start putting quick charge USB slots in. Every one I've used charges phones at a snails pace, especially when using nav and playing music. I've used a few which were so weak that my phone was discharging despite being plugged in.

My Pioneer mechless head seems to charge pretty quick. Not sure if it's actually high current or not.
You wouldn't think it would be difficult - they've got a pretty beefy power supply to tap into.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

stump posted:

So I can see what track is playing when I'm skipping through stuff on random without having to fiddle about switching apps. Ironically a phone playing music by Bluetooth can show tracks on the head unit and nav on phone.

I know most phones (except maybe some androids?) can't do side by side apps but I don't see any reason why it isn't possible - it's not like they are processor intensive apps.

Also (and I know this is a very niche use case) I often drive roads with average speed cameras and use an app to track average speed - so I find myself switching between three apps.

Admittedly while I use google maps all the time I rarely actually need it for navigation, but I like keeping track of my ETA and in case a quicker route pops up.

Fair enough.
It does seem like, for the most part, CarPlay is basically just acting like a remote screen and digitizer, only worse, insofar that the head units that actually do mirroring will obviously let you run any app on the phone, but CarPlay only works with certain "approved" apps. Do any other apps other than Maps take advantage of the dual-screen availability? I get the impression that CarPlay is designed for you to plug in the iPhone and throw it in a cubby, just using it as the brain for the system.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh my Gawd I feel I just stepped into a rabbit hole

Yeah, I have that thread bookmarked, but I'm afraid to read it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

GM has been a fan of this party trick for awhile, as well as running chimes, dings, dongs, basically any noise the car makes, through the stereo.

There's plenty of adapters that take care of this for you, but they add another $50-150 (depending on if you want to retain OnStar).

Can confirm. My brother in law's Cobalt used the CAN bus to turn on the radio. Fortunately, his was the base model, and the didn't do all the chimes and driver info center through the radio on that one. Just had to dig out an ACC from the fuse panel conveniently located in the center console just below the radio.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing Valerian at the cinema, I know it's not going to be great but it's going to be very pretty and entertaining because Luc Besson and that's currently all I require from sci-fi because the genre as a whole is trash.

I respect Howard Taylor's (author and artist of webcomic "Schlock Mercenary") opinion on movies, as he seems to have similar tastes to myself regarding SF/fantasy stuff.
He says that Valerian is beautiful, *but*.
Summary quote:
"Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets deserves top billing in a future season of Mystery Science Theater 3000. It was only slightly less painful to watch than Cry Wilderness or Starcrash. It clears my Threshold of Disappointment, obviously, and does so with such aplomb that I almost feel like apologizing to Transformers: The Last Knight."

Ouch.
(http://howardtayler.com/2017/07/valerian-and-the-city-of-a-thousand-planets/)

Still may go see it on matinee/second run.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I recently streamed 13 Hours, the Benghazi movie. I enjoyed it even though it was a Michael Bay-Splosion film.

Bad opinions; I have plenty.

I was excited when I saw the trailer for that, until it got to the Michael Bay part, then I actively avoided it, because I hate what he's done to a part of my childhood.

On a related note, just saw the teaser for Pacific Rim 2. I'm in. Love my giant robots, just not Michael Bay.

Also, Stranger Things 2! And Death Note live action (will watch that one with my daughter - she loved the anime) and Marvel's Defenders on Netflix, and The Tick on Amazon Video,

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Tits are great, commenting about someone's tits on an internet forum is weird. ...unless it's a forum dedicated to tits.

Or possibly an internet comedy forum.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Movie chat: Saw this earlier on imgur and it's relevant - https://imgur.com/gallery/GAqOU

Kingsman: Golden Circle looks like it'll be good in a fun action movie way. Had no idea about Bright until this morning but it looks decent as well.

Yes to these as well.

Even though I haven't bothered going to the theater for a movie in a while I may have to for some of these. Still want to see Baby Driver before it leaves theaters.

I'd forgotten that there was a Kingsman sequel coming. Thank you.
I'm excited about ready Player One - I've been meaning to read the book for some time. I'm also cautiously hopeful for the new Wrinkle In time movie. The last one... deviated significantly from the source. It's a testament to how much nerd people like the book that they're tackling it again this soon.

Seminal Flu posted:

Or possibly they were just really nice tits.

That, too. Nice boobs are always worth notice. At least from my cis-male heterosexual (did I say that right? I'm not terribly hip on all the words for gender nowadays) viewpoint. I can't speak for any other.

Leperflesh posted:

are we gonna talk about balls now, or

Hey, you do you (see above).

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Talk about whatever body parts turn ya all on I dont care. Not like I get any what with all these Subarus giving me negative sex appeal.

QFT.

spog posted:

Wait, does anyone actually like balls to look at?

They are basically spare elbow skin, made into a small coin bag.

Regardless of your preferences, who can find them attractive?

To quote Kryten, on Red Dwarf, regarding the entire male lower arrangement:
"That's it? That's what it's *supposed* to look like? the last chicken in the shop?"

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Balls or vagina are always ugly. But I think everyone can agree a shaply rear end is a drat fine thing no matter what sex it's on

I've heard that male humans are genetically predisposed to like a nice butt, because that's what we get to look at after successfully wooing the female, in the default-until-missionary-style mating ritual. Not sure about why boobs are so wondrous.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

spog posted:

Well, for the first few years of your life, that's where you get your food from, so I guess they continue to look big and tasty when you are an adult.

Though for this analogy to work properly, I guess you'd have to get erections in a McDonald's.

Who says I don't?
Mmmmmm.... Big Macs.....

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

God, don't read it. I have read worse books, but I'd be hard pressed to determine when. The whole thing is just a nostalgia wankfest of 80's pop culture in a terrible, pandering way.

Speaking purely as a child of the '80s, with actual good memories of that period, I'm OK with this.

InitialDave posted:

I dunno, the fact that 80s pop culture is awesome may help, even if it seems strange to me that some teenager forty years from now would be a fan of it.

It seems like fascination with a past era runs in cycles. Clothing styles from the '60s and '70s keep coming back, for example. Probably other eras as well - i don't pay too close attention to clothing. Pop culture seems to collect from everywhere, kind of like American culture, I guess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

At least eat cheese instead, milk is a piss-poor source of calcium and is pretty much bad at everything besides making cheese.

It's pretty good at making calves into cows. People, too. Size-wise, I mean.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You kids keep it down in here! I'm trying to take a nap. (Born a month after the moon landing. Class of '88)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Locator posted:

Yea. As someone who was registered 'R' for most of my life.. I changed that to Independent about 10 years ago, and now I hate both parties. I lean conservative in a lot of ways, but on social issues lean towards the left. I would have voted for Bernie if my loving state allowed Independents a voice in the primaries, but instead was not allowed to vote until the choice was shitpile one or shitpile two.

I did however, still show up and vote, as I feel that participating in an election is the most important thing that a citizen can do.

I just wish the parties weren't so hosed up that they gave us such a god damned lovely choice.

I still can't believe what we got. Both parties are so dysfunctional and myopic that they completely ignore what the country as a whole wants and seemingly can't find a palatable and competent candidate to stick up on the podium to get my vote.

Are you me?

Leperflesh posted:

I was not a Hillary Clinton fan but I detest the false equivalence argument. Clinton was not a good candidate in broad historical terms compared to many other US presidents and presidential candidates, but she was massively, massively better than Trump and it's a huge, incredibly self-defeating mistake by the left to equate them.

Objectively, yes, she was well qualified, certainly from an experience point of view, but the Dems essentially picked the ONE person that a huge number of people hate so much that they would rather vote for their own destruction, for whatever reason. she just had a was of pissing people off. I don't care for her, but given the other choice, i swallowed my bile. And I'm not even all that political. Hillary just rubs folks the wrong way. You'd think that the left would figure out that we don't want just another damned politician at the helm.

keykey posted:

It's probably because I just don't care anymore, but my eyes glaze over and I throw on a smile when people start politireligion talk. I quickly find an exit and walk away because it's not worth the brain power. I have my own thing going on and don't care to be bothered with any of that negativity in my life since every few years the new message is exactly the same except this time in package 2.0, or in my case package 10.3.2 or so.

Yeah, pretty much that. I don't mean to diss other people's opinions, but after so many years of the same book with a different cover, it's hard to give a poo poo. that said, Trump is changing the book. Not for the better, but it's definitely a change. The part of me that wants to watch train wrecks is excited. the part of me that has to be IN the train wreck is not.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fo3 posted:

*yelling*
Stick a barra in it!

A six?! Stick an LSx in it!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fo3 posted:

There's no middle ground here, so we are going to have to become enemies and live off hateful diatribe.

I've changed my mind. Put a rotary in it! Suck it, piston lover.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

gently caress that, how hard could housings be to make?

The castings themselves are relatively easy, it's the hardened apex seal surface that only Mazda seems to know how to pull off.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I suspect some of the "repair" plasma-sprayed coatings used in aerospace could do it, but the development work might be a bit expensive.

Someone tried to do something like that years ago, but I haven't heard anything else about it. Would be nice if it happened, since the usual reason housings are chucked is because of peeling chrome. Grind them down a little, and spray a ceramic coating or whatever, polish, and not throw away a housing.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, yeah, but 'Murica won't let us get that.

Yeah, that. either bit - the ute or the 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

So I'm gonna regret missing out on this car right?

Is this cool or not cool? I'm out of touch.

I've always liked 929s, that generation and the previous. RWD!

This weekend I did this:

...and I mean ALL weekend.

That's a friend's Nissan Rogue. We did a CarPlay headunit, steering wheel control and OBD2 integration, XM Radio, and sub/amp install, AND he decided to do all four door speakers and bypass the factory Bose amp for them.
Getting the loving iDatalink Maestro RR interface box flashed and working was dumb. It's a brilliant box that has upgradeable firmware to allow it to be mostly universal as far as integrated car features with aftermarket heads, but god-drat their documentation and IE-only web based firmware flashing is poo poo. For that matter, I'm disappointed in Pioneer's documentation. It used to be that the install guide had a nice big wiring diagram with everything labeled, and similarly a diagram of the radio back with all the interfaces labeled, but you have to go on the web for that now. the owners manual has an install guide, but no master diagram, despite being 1/4" thick (because 4 languages in one damned manual.)

Got it all in and working, even able to use the factory satellite antenna, and he's got OBD2 gauges on the radio, which is neat. dual 10" JBL sub box is so much better than the nearly useless Bose sub in the spare tire, though of course he lost half his cargo area to the box. Personally, I would have just used the factory Bose amp with the Infinity speakers we put in - the amp for that added a lot of work (2 extra RCA cables, interfacing with the factory wiring at the Bose amp.) We tested the system just like that before moving on the amps, and it sounded fine. ah, well. I got a couple meals and a 10' x 10' shade canopy out of it as payment.

My hands are tore the gently caress up, but at least that insured that the stereo gods had their blood sacrifice so that everything would work.
Also, my everything hurts. This is part of the reason I stopped doing this for a living...

• Locked thread