Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cojawfee posted:

I just find it odd that someone from the UK had never seen any Doctor Who.

It's not that surprising - it's just something that exists in UK pop culture; everyone knows what a Dalek is, or that the TARDIS is a blue police box, and that Tom Baker had a long scarf - if pressed, they might be able to recognise a (Peter Davison era) cyberman, K-9, and that Jon Pertwee was also Doctor Who. It's something you can grow up having knowledge of, without having seen anything or having any interest in.

A US analogue would be Star Trek; pretty sure most people could tell you that Captain Kirk is the captain of the Enterprise, Spock is an alien with a salute, and that Scotty beams people places (mostly up or down), and they fight Klingons - without having watched a single episode ever.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

2house2fly posted:

apparently today was Peter Capaldi's last day filming. I'm going to miss seeing how much more insane his hair can get

:smith:

Shame, I'm really gonna miss Capaldi - I had more of a connection during his run than I did Smith's (not to say that Matt Smith was bad, just that I kept bobbing in and out of the run, and didn't really get back into the series proper until Day of the Doctor).

This might be of interest to people, a podcast Flight Through Entirety where a bunch of people work their way through the whole of televised Who, starting with the An Unearthly Child so-called "pilot" and are currently at Delta and the Bannermen, at the time of this posting.

I've no affiliation, but they have a good rapport, and flit between various Who related tangents.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I've been away for the weekend, and only just heard the news - it's great! I'm more concerned about Chibnall as showrunner than a time-travelling demi-immortal space wizard happening to incidently own some ovaries, and Etheric Beam Locators in this incarnation.

Some of the reactions are pretty funny too; my idiot cousin was doing the whole "#RIPDOCTORWHORUINEDFOREVER" because of "yet another thing wrecked by feminist politics." loving imbecile.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

toanoradian posted:

I feel like I should get into Bernice Summerfield. The only one I've ever heard is Just War and that's a bit too morbid for me. Is there sort of a consistent mood throughout the series? Is there an era in Doctor Who to which it resembles the closest? She's a companion of 7, so do her stories resemble 7's style of stories?

Benny's stories fluctuate between grim and campy - there's not really a consistent mood. I'd recommend any of The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield, as all you have to know is that she's a companion of the 7/8th Doctor.

I listened to her range out of order, and even though I've gone through all of them since, it's hard to suggest a start-point because they change the set-up every season. And because early on, they were expecting you to read the books detailing other stuff that was happening.

I kinda want to do a breakdown of her stuff at some point, because it's one of those weird wilderness years offshoots that is still about post-revival.

[e]: Aw man, Victoria and Litefoot in the same week. :smith:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Thought this might be of interest to the thead; yonks ago, in a previous incarnation of this thread, I mentioned the Doctor Who Complete History book things

(broad synopses of the episodes, their production, cast/crew recollections, etc - these things)

Well the publisher just had a survey up with possible ideas for other subscription collection things - among them were reissues of the Target novelisations, and a Big Finish collection with mock-up covers. Unfortunately I didn't think to take any screenshots :negative:

The other things were audiobook recordings of the classic episodes, hardback reissues of the Doctor Who comics, and a really terrible fact-file type thing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I've been going through the Seventh Doctor era stuff, and I've gotta say, I like the one where he takes a cruise vacation to Mexico with Benny and Jamie :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Lampsacus posted:

Does anybody enjoy any DW podcasts apart from Radio Free Skaro and Verity?

I brought it up a few pages back, but I'm working my way through one called Flight Through Entirety, where the hosts watch and review all of Doctor Who from An Unearthly Child to present day (at the time of this post, they're currently at the Seventh Doctor's run), and going off on various Who related tangents (the Peter Cushing films, Big Finish, etc).

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

corn in the bible posted:

Doctor is willing to gently caress up time and space to save Clara but not his wife or mother-in-law

"Fixed points in time". Except when they're not.

And on the topic of Clara, while she became better as the series went on (mostly by becoming an actual character rather than just a plot device, and having a more dynamic relationship with 12 than she did with 11), I still can't get over that she had a pretty great send off, then a follow-up episode centred entirely around the Doctor's grief, both of which were promptly shat on by Hell Bent.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 6, 2017

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

marktheando posted:

I don't know what you are talking about, this totally seems like something her character on the tv show would wear.

I'm working on a guide thing for the Doctor Who EU and came across this:

That is a legit cover.

Incidently, this is one of the audios the BBC put their foot down on being too blatently unofficial Doctor Who audios.
So BBV changed the names from the "Professor" and "Ace", to the "Dominie" and "Alice", and carried on as normal :downs:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Box of Bunnies posted:

And then there's the video series with C. Bakes and Nicola Bryant as The Stranger and Miss Brown where this also happens :gonk:

Sweet jesus christ noooo! :gonk:

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The 90s were a mistake.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wheat Loaf posted:

BBC publicity still circa 1979 featuring the Fifth Doctor and her companion, Turlough:

My all-time favourite Sapphire & Steel quote;

Joanna Lumley on the set of Sapphire & Steel posted:

"For gently caress's sake, I can't do this. I don't understand it. I really don't loving understand it."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

remusclaw posted:

Makes some sense. Honestly, while I know the Multi Doc eps aren't very good, I have an affection for them anyhow as Five Doctors was the second thing I had ever seen as an attempt the see who I would like. In hindsight, the strangest thing about five Doctors is older Susan traveling with the (False) First Doctor. She is this pivotal part of the history of the show, showing up for the first time since her departure from it and She just does nothing, and no fuss is payed toward her at all.

I think I read somewhere (please correct me if I'm wrong), that they wanted to downplay the idea, implying that the Doctor had sex at some point, eventually resulting in her. Or something like that. I know the later books explictly say the Time Lords are loomed and are sterile, but isn't carried over into the revival (thankfully IMO). And in the audios, they make indirect references to both, but muddled.

Also, in more general terms, while I love the Three, the Fake and the Wax Doctors Five Doctors, its structure is lovably terrible.

Bicyclops posted:

Star Trek is also a bit more broad in its scientific optimism. It takes place in an egalitarian post-scarcity economy with a United Earth. It's about a whole society that has adopted the pursuit of knowledge and idealism over violence, bigotry and cynicism. Doctor Who is about one guy with those ideals, mostly up against societies that have fallen victim to militarism, hate or inequality, and all of which have been doomed to a dystopian life in a quarry because of it.

Yeah, there's always that edge of dystopia in Who - everything, even the good things, are a bit poo poo. The United Earth in Who becomes an galactic empire (not that one), there's galactic famine (unless they follow Davros'... imaginative solution), and you can always count upon the worst of human nature and weakness to surface...until the Doctor comes along and acts as a changing force, or inspires or encourages others to become that force. It's always going to be a little poo poo, but will be better after.

The biggest difference is that Who is narratively freer than Star Trek due to its structure; The TARDIS can go anywhere and when, and the narrative structure of a given episode can change depending on the type of story (a certain time period, a location, genre, etc), where as Star Trek either has to rely on infrequent time-travel, the holodeck, a themed planet or a god-being to achieve the same thing.

[e]: Actual not-bullshitting genuine crossover comic that actually exists:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 12, 2017

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

As someone who's fallen out of BF listening, what's the explanation for 7 travelling with both Mel and Ace?

She's been left by Sabalom Glitz for reasons I can't remember, and he bumps into her again, only a short while after Dragonfire from Mel's perspective, but much much later from his and Ace's.
---
Related to the Doctor discussion, I always like it when the Doctor is a getting a bit arsey and short-tempered, whatever the reason.
Five is good at when he gets annoyed because it's like Davison is trying to supress it, to contrast Five's more mild-mannered temper, before it erupts, whereas Six is good at indignant outrage.

And of course, Capaldi has that amazing death glare.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 17, 2017

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Astroman posted:

Does Mel notice how much more dark and manipulative the Doctor is? I might have to pick those up. Which audios are those?

I want to say she does, but I can't honestly remember. I know she acknowledges Ace has matured since they last met.

They meet again in A Life of Crime, and then she carries on through Fiesta of the Damned, Maker of Demons, The High Price of Parking, and The Blood Furnace (which has just come out at the time of this post), and then next months, The Silurian Candidate.

Of those, I thought A Life of Crime was fine, and delves into a very recent and divisive Doctor Who topic; Ace and Mel think the Doctor's regenerated into a woman for various plot reasons. I liked Fiesta of the Damned (Spanish civil war setting), thought that Maker of Demons was way too on the nose with the Shakespeare references for no real reason (the plot is The Tempest, which the characters repeatedly bring up), and haven't listened to the others yet.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 17, 2017

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cojawfee posted:

The Master really is the dog chasing the car. He keeps catching the car and has no idea what to do with it.

Master...cars?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ah...it's just doesn't feel right somehow...

There we are.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Unexpected annoucement from Big Finish:

quote:

Tales From New Earth is a brand new set of adventures exploring the worlds of Doctor Who, inspired by the Ninth and Tenth Doctors' adventures in the episodes The End of The World, New Earth, and Gridlock.

In this new set of adventures, we’ll encounter some familiar names, faces and species, and introduce a whole host of new characters and creatures in one of the most diverse Worlds of Doctor Who this universe has yet to see!

David Richardson, producer of the series, tells us more, “Russell T Davies created such a rich, fully-formed world in New Earth that it was ripe for its own spin-off series - and not only did Russell wholeheartedly approve of the idea, he generously gave us some very helpful suggestions and steers for certain characters…

Directed by Helen Goldwyn, script-edited by Matt Fitton, and produced by David Richardson, these four new adventures will see us explore the universe five billion years away, where only a Tardis could have reached before…

Also a new Gallifrey out next year - dealing with the start of the Time War.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

jivjov posted:

That's just a cover art reveal; they announced the set itself a few months ago.

I wonder if Tennant himself is cameoing, or if they're just gonna do a narrator for him

Ah, right, sorry, missed that announcement.

Maybe a brief cameo, if he's been doing the next 10 boxset, maybe. Or just Nick Briggs. Again.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

But also... eh.

Yeah, it's certainly...well I'm sure they'll do something with it. While it's nice they got returning actors to play near-enough the same parts, I'm finding it hard to care about the setting. :geno:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fil5000 posted:

Minuet is hilarious on many levels. I mean yeah, it's BAD, but it's Neil Breen bad. Someone's tried to make a fun Doctor Who story and it's hampered by both being badly written and set in America, and no one in the production sounds even vaguely american. Even the canadian guy doesn't sound close.

"Pretty li'l satin bottoms." :heysexy:

Whenever I'm feeling down, I stick that on and let the waves of nonsense soothe. It's like there was a gas leak in the writing and recording rooms, and everyone just carried on regardless, waking up in a haze a few hours later having produced Minuet.

Nekromanteia is undoubtedly one of the worst things Big Finish has ever put out. Apparently the writer was going after something in the style of Hinchcliffe, and failed miserabley. It's one of those projects where you wonder why no-one stopped it at any point and questioned if it was a good idea to have weird skeevy attempts at titilation, and attempted rape (wth the attempted rapist being rewarded at the end), and poo poo like the Doctor being loving murdered and eaten.

Creed is bad, because it's someone's fetish wank fantasy they managed to trick actors into recording for them, but otherwise is just a boring slob. Nekro is bad because everything about it is bad; Story, characters, narrative structure, and the piss-poor way it handles all those "dark" themes.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Class is one of those things that you wonder how it got past the planning stage.

Like, to contrast it with the other spin-offs, it has the most tenuous of tenuous relations to the main show, and struggles to find its own original identity outside of Doctor Who. And what little it does find is unbearable teen drama that's been done literally a million times better in other shows.

It's not an unworkable concept, but it's about a decade too late.

It wasn't unwatchable, but it was difficult to keep invested.

Sad King Billy posted:

Should the new series do something similar and if so, what issues and topic should it cover?

I want more clumsily-handled issues by Harness; he's only covered abortion and immigration in a tone-deaf fashion, there's plenty more out there waiting! :suicide:

In seriousness, I wouldn't mind seeing a return to the full historical - without loving lion people or other random rear end aliens thrown in. And keep away from Gallifrey and the Time Lords, just for a bit. Also no episodes like Cyberwoman.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 10, 2017

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I don't know what to make of this, other than cautious optimism. :ohdear:

Astroman posted:

Still though, it's all good. If you'd told me 15 years ago we'd be getting new stories with the first 3 Doctors in 2017 that sound so close to the old ones with Bradley/Purves, Frazier, and Treloar, I'd have never believed you. This is awesome. :dance:

If you think about it, we've never really had so much Doctor Who, and is kind of surreal to think that they're still producing brand new content, and stories (with the actual actors) fifty years later.
Like, we've seen the beginning and ending of some of their stories, but they're still slotting in new ones, expanding and developing these character and concepts in neat and interesting ways. It loving fantastic. :unsmith:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

It is EXTREMELY important that any River Song/1st Doctor crossover involves him yelling at her and chasing her away while waving his stick. :3:

"Hm? What's that? Married? No, no, no I don't think so madme. Go! Away with you!" *picks up rock to smash her head in*

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

Ihe murderous hatred fans in this very thread have for River Song is bizarre and a little horrifying. Oh no, a middle-aged woman appears a little too often during a season that didn't quite stick the landing, let's be extra clear how much we want to smash her head in.

Lighten up.

She's a far more interesting character when she's not bound by Moffat's turgid writing for her, (I think her Diary of River Song audios are great, and she works well in Doom Coalition) and Alex Kingston does the best she can with the material.
You don't have to jump to the conclusion that every criticism is soley because she's a woman. Same for Clara, Ashildr, Tasha Lem or any others I've forgotten about.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

2house2fly posted:

He's wrong and a stupid idiot. She's the 15th, because the clone of Tennant also counts.

23rd - Can't forget those Morbius Doctors.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The 4chan Who wikia. Which I guess is a thing. Huh.

But yeah, it's not inaccurate as such - there's a sequence in Brain of Morbius which implies that the Hartnell Doctor wasn't the First Doctor. It's one of those things like the "Half human on my mother's side" that's largely ignored (yeah yeah mentioned in Heaven Sent to gently caress with people but otherwise ignored).

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Holy poo poo, that latest short trip with Susan :smith:

She's basically living by herself in Coal Hill school, which has since been converted into flats, working as a techie converting all the Dalek technology after their invasion to be able to be used by humans.

Strange poo poo goes downs with some of the tech, there's a world-destroying asteroid inbound, and the world is invaded by giant spiders.

It's set up by the Doctor, to distract her, because she's getting call-up papers from Gallifrey to fight in the Time War, and he's stealing them when they arrive so she doesn't recieve them.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

The 1980 Japanese translation of the David Whitaker 'The Daleks' novelisation has some interesting takes on artwork.

These are adorable :allears:

The_Doctor posted:

あなたのレースの死につながる極端な痛みに苦しんでください!*
/

For the curious it reads: Doctor Who Series: Space-time Great Battle!
And it has a middle illustration depicting thte Chasm scene.

[e]: And there's a few more!

オートン軍団の襲来! (Auton Army Attack!)

(AKA Spearhead from Space)

And it has a inner picture of the Nestene Consciousness:

戦慄! 地底モンスター! (Horror! Underground Monsters!)

(AKA Doctor Who and the Silurians)
I can't find the inner picture.

恐るべき最終兵器! (The Terrible Ultimate Weapon!)

(AKA Colony in Space novelised as The Doomsday Weapon)

I haven't actually seen this story, so don't know what's happening.

ダレク族の逆襲! (The Dalek Counterattack!)

(AKA The Dalek Invasion of Earth whoops - it's Day of the Daleks)
It looks like fake-Nyssa is gonna waste a motherfucker.

I honestly don't remember anything that this could be in the story.

The info I was reading while stumbling across more says that they were printed in the 80s.
They're neat, nice find, The Doctor - it's always fun to see the familiar filtered through an unfamiliar lens.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 8, 2017

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Burkion posted:

Please tell me more images from that exist

Dalek sempai has noticed you!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Forktoss posted:

I have a soft spot for the covers of the two Finnish Pertwee novelisation translations from the mid-70s, The Auton Invasion and The Cave Monsters:

The translations themselves are really interesting, too - no one had seen a second of DW this side of the Baltic Sea at that point, and the books are translated as one-and-done children's books with no knowledge of the show at large. And those Silurian designs are still better than the New Series ones.

They remind me a bit of the Drashig, a tad.

Anyway, I found the rest of the images, and the middle ones from the ones I couldn't in my last post:
Autons:

Silurians:

The Master:

Revenge of the kawaii Dalek-chans:

Also found a blog listing the translation differences of the Dalek story, and a short animation someone made of those adorable daleks. :allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 8, 2017

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BBC SHERLOCK is so loving lovely that they even changed the story where Sherlock loses to Irene Adler and had him win instead, because Sherlock is so smart and cool he can never ever lose gently caress you Moffat

Watching it in retrospect, it's both amazing in just how quickly it went to poo poo, and how many of the episodes are dogshit. I don't think I've ever seen a show get so up its own arse and self-indulgent in such a short time. The slickness of the style covers over the lack of substance, and it's only when thinking about it afterwards you go "Hang on a sec, that was trash."

Hbomberguy did quite a good video on it (and also links it tangentially to Doctor Who), although he does get some things wrong in their relation to the original books (I can't recall what off the top of my head).

Wheat Loaf posted:

The way they pronounce "Irene" in that episode always confused me.

Everyone should watch Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, obviously. One of the two best detective adaptations (the other is A Nero Wolfe Mystery).

It confused me at first, but apparently they're going for a German pronunciation - Irene having been in Prague for a while. Something like that I read somewhere.

Yeah, Jeremy Brett is amazing as Sherlock, and it's honestly refreshing after revisting BBC Sherlock, and thinking "Oh, wait, yeah, this is how you tell a story with likable characters who aren't just caricatures".

Also, David Suchet's Poirot as another great detective adaptation (with a load of future Doctor Who actors making appearances - Capaldi and Eccleston in some of the earlier ones).

Jerusalem posted:

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is so great, Jeremy Brett's Holmes is absolutely goddamn amazing. The way he barely contains his delight/amusement at the most inopportune times when an interesting bit of information or a bizarre case is presented to him is just perfect.

It's also really nice to see the dynamic between Holmes and Watson be so warm and pleasant. Even while keeping Holmes' idiosyncrasies in place it goes out of its way to remind you that these guys are the best of friends.

I love his short barking laugh, and the sheer glee and energy he has. Physically throwing himself to the ground to look closer at something, perching on the edge of a bridge. He's just this excitable ball of energy that's ready to pop, when he has something to engage his mind.

And yeah, a warm dynamic between Holmes and Watson. And Mycroft as well, for that matter.

Nthing the whole watch The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

[e]:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, my favourite version of Watson is Lucy Liu, but Edward Hardwicke would be a close second.

Sorry man, it's gotta be Jam Watson all day, everyday.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I think I made it partway through s2 of Sherlock before I gave up on watching it new. I've only seen the rest because it was on netflix and I was curious, and I was 100% right to stop when I did cause whooooooooa nelly

Irene Adler is the most obvious lovely adaptation but their version of Hound of the Baskervilles was, imho, even stupider and was what made me realize I hated the show

I like elements of the first two series. The third series, aside from maybe a few gags, I could not give less of a gently caress about Sherlock and Watson's relationship, or Mary being a super assassin. Or the special which is essentially 90 minutes of telling the audience a man who shot himself in the head and died...didn't fake it and shot himself in the head and died..

I don't think anybody likes series four. The Toby Jones as Jimmy Saville episode is not bad - though that's largely thanks to Toby Jones being a great actor. That final episode with Moffat and Gatiss' fanfiction character though, that's loving wretched.

[e]:

Davros1 posted:

Clive Merrison is my favorite Holmes.

That's an odd way to spell Michael Caine.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Burkion posted:

Wait what

*WHY*

As he says, it's to show how clever and infalliable Sherlock is. It's really lovely too.

The gist of it is Irene Adler's a dominatrix (professional alias, "The Woman") who has saucy photos of her with a princess (go with it), locked on her phone (and then later it's government documents that would be embarassing or something). It loosely plays out as it does in the original story (Sherlock comes to her house disguised as a priest, and tricks her into revealing where it's hidden, etc), and he manages to get hold of the phone and tries vainly to crack the four digit code, every time it fails coming up with "****-LOCKED".

There's other stuff involving the governmental documents, but anyway, Mycroft strikes a deal with her, and she's about to walk away having bested him, then Holmes is like "Ah I know, you're obsessed with me, so it can only be SHER-LOCKED, lol you people and feelings lol".

And then there's a weird epilogue where it cuts between Sherlock sitting forlornly in his flat thinking about her, and her about to be beheaded in middle east, with her discussed in the past tense, but Sherlock is disguised as an executioner and saves her.

It's such an odd choice even though it wouldn't take much to keep it closer to the original story. Like, they could have had her walk away, having bested Sherlock and Mycroft, and Sherlock later sitting in the flat thinking about her, and receives an ambiguous text from her or something I don't know.

[e]: Also Davros1 and Wheat Loaf, definitetly gonna look up the Clive Merrison Sherlock and Michael Caine Ripper things, respectively.

[e2]: Oh yeah, I know, I've seen it. :)
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 14, 2017

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dr Who really wants you to have his badges

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

2house2fly posted:

poo poo, I'd better get started on a big rewatch leading up to the finale soon. Might as well start back at The Empty Child The Curse of Fatal Death, since it's the end of the Moffat era too...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I will check those out. Any good McCoy stuff? I always liked him.

I liked Colditz (which also features pre-Doctor Who David Tennant), Red (100 mins of McCoy saying "Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred!"), and Night Thoughts (adapted from an unused TV story).

Start with whatever you find interesting; the stories are mostly stand-alone though there are arcs in some of them. I'd also recommend Light at the End, Big Finish's very fun, but nonsense 50th anniversay special - as a good smorgasbord of how the doctors act.

There's also some pretty good pure historicals in there too, for a nice change of pace.

[e]: Echoing MrL_JaKiri, though, they are pretty good stories.
[e2]: gently caress, also check out Davros. Terry Malloy is loving amazing.
"I will not press this switch! I will not cower! I will not die! I WILL NOT DIE! THIS IS NOT THE END - THIS IS ONLY - THE BEGINNING!"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 21, 2017

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Revival era is, socially at least.

It's always been against facism, and the reoccurring trait of the Doctor is a slightly anarchic spirit that he works against the establishment for the better - if that is a corrupt government or business is irrelevant. The McCoy era is certainly left - one of the antagonists is space Thatcher and the Tories.

Examaining the politics of the show is a tad more nebulous, than say, looking at how race, or sex, or sexuality is presented; it's much easier to give those a direct answer, because the show explicitly addresses them. They, of course, do tie-in to politics, but we watch it with our own mental filters.

Would be interesting to go through the classic era examaining that...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

adhuin posted:

Oh look what time it is:

Out now. :woop:

This is cute - Big Finish made their own little Time War intro :3:

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress, I gotta get caught up. Hoping to start pumping through Big Finish stuff again in the next couple of weeks.

CobiWann posted:

Not that I care - I'm in the same boat as Jerusalem. I've got all the recent Torchwood releases in my queue, The Lives in Captain Jack, Classic Doctors/New Monsters, The Time War, not to mention the monthly ranges, Fourth Doctor Adventures, the Companion Chronicles, Gallifrey, my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it, and The Ambassadors of Death; I'm swamped!

I follow the monthly range, 4DA, and 8 boxsets - I've got to listen to the Captain Scarlet stuff they've released and the other Prisoner boxset - and I've started tapping into Jago and Litefoot, and Torchwood and Blakes 7 has got me interested with several plot sysnopsis - and there's the companion chronicles, the Early Doctor boxsets, the new First Doctor, Tenth Doctor, UNIT, Galiffrey, The War Master - there's too much stuff! :negative:

And by too much I mean please never stop making things Big Finish - and get Capaldi - I hear he's texting Nic Briggs every day and built his own recording booth in his shed (painted outside like a phone box - of course)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 26, 2017

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

I think Capaldi is going to take a long time away before he considers Big Finish, based on things he's said in interviews.

:smith:

That's a shame - I really love Capaldi (also looking forward to seeing what Whittaker does in the role) - but it's understandable that he would want to keep away for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Just my tuppence worth on the Eighth Doctor: Time War.

Overall, lots of neat concepts that don't really link together as a whole. There's some cool "this is how alien the Time War is" scenes, but the actual thrust of the story isn't revealed til the very end, and I was left thinking "Oh....is that it?"

McGann is great, as always, Rakhee Thakrar as new companion Bliss doesn't do a lot honestly, but seems fine - they're aiming to expand her more in further stories - Jacqueline Pearce as Ollistra is a great anti-villain, and it's nice they keep bringing her back, and I want more. :3:

I'll stick some :siren:spoilers:siren: stuff behind this SSLP test link.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 28, 2017

• Locked thread