Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

After 8 hours a day in California, after 40/wk everywhere else.

Also if it's the 7th consecutive workday in the pay week even if it's less then 40/wk for some bizarre reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tendales posted:

Oregon labor laws are pretty clear that more than 40 in a 7 day period has to be paid overtime. The employer can decide what the range of days that counts as a workweek is, but they aren't allowed to move it around. Pay periods are specifically called out as unrelated to overtime.

If you've got an employer doing the 80/2wk bullshit, you've probably got a labor claim against them. Just... get organized in secret because we're an at-will state and if your boss is lovely enough to cheat you out of overtime pay, they're lovely enough to fire you before you can get your complaint filed.

After working hospitality I've learned that low level minimum wage companies are usually committing tons of payroll violations at a minor level and the victims either don't care for such small amounts or they don't have the time or luxury. One of my friend in CA who works security/guard jobs just got $4k from a class action settlement from a previous company he worked for that refused to let employee take meal breaks. The offenses went on for probably 5+ years but most of the people working there put up with it because they needed the income.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

Pull throughs are garbage and honing steels (distinct from ceramics) are not as intense as you're imagining them to be and you need one now. A mongrel grab-bag you bought for a song is perfect for practicing sharpening. The kitchen knife thread here literally cannot shut the goddamned hell up about sharpening.

So, ceramics are better/worse? I had a knife shop sharpen and grind out some dents and bends in my chef knives (8 in Shun/Henckel) and the guy who seemed like he knew what he was saying was that for casual use using a ~$40 set of ceramic honing rods was better then trying to master sharpening on a stone because until you get the hang of it you'll gently caress up the angle more often then not.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mindphlux posted:

lol this is literally the dumbest opinion

I mean loving people go into hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt literally just so someone can make money off of them just to learn poo poo, aka a college/culinary degree.

I'm all for the more european system of a college education not being the 'default', free/unpaid internships, technical mentorships, learning a trade on the job, etc. gently caress colleges and culinary schools and literally turning people's lives into debt slave labor. that to me is much more what should be illegal than "hey I want to work for this person I respect of my own volition for free"

Are you really comparing college educations to unpaid "stage" work?

If the system is set up to require people to contribute labor for free in the hope or expectation that they end up with a paying job at the end it is a failed system. Whether or not there are any merits to the idea, the people running it are still cashing checks and making profit off free labor from people they are telling "well there's no other way" then gently caress it your system does not work if you need free labor to make it work. Paying someone minimum wage to train them to do a job that pays more should not be the difference between profitable business and shutting down the operation.

Sure college degrees and insane student loan debts are a massively complex problem that is going to create significant ramifications in the long term, but at the end of the day technically colleges do not operate for the point of making money by requiring those students to contribute work or labor for which they are not paid. The money being paid in tuition goes to pay operational costs and the salaries of all the people who work to make the place function. People aren't teaching classes for free or sweeping the floors for "work experience".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You guys aren't wrong, people should be paid for their stages. But right now, they aren't, and I'm not going to change that. Cooks are already underpaid in general because customers REFUSE to pay realistic prices for food, and the cost has to come from somewhere, and that ends up being labor. There is a complex set of problems that leads to the current industry environment, and it sucks.

Cooks might be underpaid, but they still aren't being made to work for below minimum. Given that you are in the power to change it and steadfastly refuse mean you are actively participating in the problem. By the way, how many hours of unpaid labor do you think your business has racked up this year? I'd like to do the napkin math to see what kind of fines you'd be facing should anyone report it. According to the DoL it's probably the low 5 figures unless you were employing children to work.

quote:

Wage and Hour Division (WHD)

General Information on the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

Revised July 2009

Federal Minimum Wage:

$7.25 per hour beginning July 24, 2009

Overtime Pay: At least 1½ times an employee's regular rate of pay for all hours worked over 40 in a workweek.

Youth Employment: An employee must be at least 16 years old to work in most non-farm jobs and at least 18 to work in non-farm jobs declared hazardous by the Secretary of Labor.

Youths 14 and 15 years old may work outside school hours in various non-manufacturing, non-mining, non-hazardous jobs under the following conditions:

No more than

3 hours on a school day or 18 hours in a school week;
8 hours on a non-school day or 40 hours in a non-school week.

Also, work may not begin before 7 a.m. or end after 7 p.m., except from June 1 through Labor Day, when evening hours are extended to 9 p.m. Different rules apply in agricultural employment.

Tip Credit: Employers of "tipped employees" must pay a cash wage of at least $2.13 per hour if they claim a tip credit against their minimum wage obligation. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's cash wage of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Certain other conditions must also be met.

Enforcement: The Department of Labor may recover back wages either administratively or through court action, for the employees that have been underpaid in violation of the law. Violations may result in civil or criminal action.

Employers may be assessed civil money penalties of up to $1,100 for each willful or repeated violation of the minimum wage or overtime pay provisions of the law and up to $11,000 for each employee who is the subject of a violation of the Act’s child labor provisions. In addition, a civil money penalty of up to $50,000 may be assessed for each child labor violation that causes the death or serious injury of any minor employee, and such assessments may be doubled, up to $100,000, when the violations are determined to be willful or repeated. The law also prohibits discriminating against or discharging workers who file a complaint or participate in any proceeding under the Act.

Additional Information:

Certain occupations and establishments are exempt from the minimum wage and/or overtime pay provisions.
Special provisions apply to workers in American Samoa and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
Some state laws provide greater employee protections; employers must comply with both.
The law requires employers to display this poster where employees can readily see it.
Employees under 20 years of age may be paid $4.25 per hour during their first 90 consecutive calendar days of employment with an employer.
Certain full-time students, student learners, apprentices, and workers with disabilities may be paid less than the minimum wage under special certificates issued by the Department of Labor.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 30, 2017

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

"Ah BLOO BLOO BLOO BLOO"- This Thread 2017

http://www.openculture.com/2015/11/harlan-ellisons-wonderful-rant-on-why-writers-should-always-get-paid.html

You pay the writer, you pay the artist, you pay the intern, you pay the chef, you pay the temp, you pay for work unless there is literally no profit or money being made by anyone.

Time for the fine dining world to move beyond the archaic fashions that defined it a century ago. If the argument is that Noma can't exist without an army of skilled unpaid workers then let it die. Let them all die and nothing of worth is lost.

That's not even getting into how many ways they could exploit the system to keep staging around. Team up with some for profit university to classify it as "work experience" and pay them $400 for 2 months of work, coincidently the same amount as the cost of a semester credit.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 31, 2017

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I take hydroxyzine for anxiety/panic attacks. It can make you have waking dreams. My doctor's best guess was that I was on autopilot from that and went and decided it was party time in my "dream"

Interesting drug.

quote:

Even though it is an effective sedative, hypnotic, and anxiolytic, it shares virtually none of the abuse, dependence, addiction, and toxicity potential of other drugs used for the same range of therapeutic reasons.

Which makes it quite possibly one of the safest drugs in existence to take given that benzodiazepines are the most common drugs for similar conditions.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
ADA violations are the quickest way for a company to go from "whoops minor mistake" to completely turbofucked. Its basically an instant lose for them once the legal procedure starts.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Gotta admit I'm a little baffled as to how salting your pasta water leads to such colossal equipment failure that Darden thought it best to skimp on that. Obv I get that salt + water + metal = rust (I'm from upstate NY and old enough to remember when rustproofing your car was routine maintenance), but are they not washing the pots or what? Are they buying pots made from the undercarriage of my dad's 1979 Chevette?

When I was dishbitch for the Army, you best believe they had the cheapest, thinnest, weakest aluminum pots imaginable, but I never had one rust or break a weld, despite the volume of cooking for 2000+ soldiers a day. And hooboy did those cooks like to salt the ever-living gently caress out of everything, so that clearly wasn't a factor.

:iiam:

It wasn't that Darden was worried about the damage but that they could save money on the warranty agreements by promising to not salt the water. It was one greedy business skull loving another greedy business and the customers got lovely, poorly salted food as a result.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

He must be doing something right because god drat they make some good chicken tenders, best in the fast food business probably.

Is this something that changes across the Mississippi river? I heard this spoken like gospel by a friend who visiting the chain when over in Georgia or SC and when I went to the Raising Canes out in SoCal their chicken tenders were like a drier, less flavorful version of Carl's Jr.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Trebuchet King posted:

jose andres would be the singularly most devastating, but i'm thinking keller.

Eric Ripert maybe? He and Bourdain and basically best friends.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

So I just walked out of my job because everything was so hosed and had been for awhile and I reached the breaking point.

Don't eat at Umami Burger, and definitely don't eat at the Umami Burger in SOMA.

I drove by one today and make a mental note to check it out. I usually just stop by Five Guys, In n Out, or a local diner style place where the 1/3 lb bacon avocado cheeseburger is $5 or less whenever I want a burger.

Is Umami burger all flash and no substance? I've been to more then a few of those craft brew on draft truffle oil fries $15 burger places and for the most part its completely hit or miss. At best it's never truly disappointing, but always seems like they use a bunch of fancy things and try too hard rather then make a satisfying burger.

For a typical example, I went to a place that offered a bacon peanut butter and jelly burger. The adjectives for the jelly, meat, bun, and bacon were plentiful on the menu, but from my position at the bar I saw the chef make the burger, then grab a 5 lb jar of Skippy Chunky Peanut butter and add half a spoonful to the bun. It was pretty disappointing when I tried first tried it only because it was a ton of artisan strawberry jelly and a tiny scrape of peanut butter. I asked for more peanut butter, slathered it on the bun, and the crunch and saltiness made the burger taste much better.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm really curious how they make tobacco companies look like angels unless you mean the Phillips-Morris of today and not of 1970.

Agressively marketing products to kids/teens. Joe Camel was put down in the late 90s because the government decided it was too close to advertising to children.

"Popcorn Lung" is a thing that's not unknown because dozens if not hundreds of these vape companies sprang up in a matter of years and starting making all kinds of crazy flavors as cheaply as they can and chucking nicotine in them haphazardly. I'm pretty the only reason there is any QA being done is the companies know it just takes a few people to get a batch with elevated nicotine and have strokes or whatever.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Plan Z posted:

I've worked with a few that I know of and they each had their own specific quirks, but they were typically just as good as any co-worker. I never really noticed any issues except for one. An autistic cook was largely the reason why I left a recent job. He was 100% confirmed on the spectrum, but was a very outgoing person. He would start talking from the moment he walked in and not stop for the entire day (this isn't even slightly exaggeration). He couldn't pick up on cues when you just needed him to stop talking because "I'm trying to work," or "I'm trying to walk to a different place, stop tying me down" or something. He was also kind of a hick and would not leave any details of his relationships with his trashy wife and trashy ex-wife to the imagination. Then when he'd get mad, he would go on for minutes. The worst was people ordering after about 1pm. He'd just start going on about "go the gently caress home, lunch is loving over. loving idiots. Go home." those three lines would repeat every time a ticket came in. I worked with him every day. I realize he couldn't control certain aspects of it, and he generally meant well, but it was just one of the major issues that I couldn't stand about the place.

The first thing I thought of when reading this was Kitchen Confidential and the stories of Adam Real last name unknown.

Guy was a baking savant, and would spiral out of control in weird ways but at the end of the day on his highs made the best baked goods theoretically possible. One of the most memorable lines from that book was when Bourdain was visiting a friend's restaurant, tasted the bread and then turned and said "You hired Adam, didn't you" and the chef kind of shamefaced smiled and admitted it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pile of brown posted:

Good news! You're on the hook for all of it!

Something similar happened to my friend who never checked pay stubs or bothered with taxes until giving it to his dad's accountant every year. The company listed him, a single 25 year old man, as having 8 dependents. April comes around suddenly he finds out, has to spend days arguing with the company accounting department, and ends up having to pay back several grand in taxes on a job only a few dollars above minimum wage.

The government doesn't care about who made a mistake, they demand their money and they will absolutely get it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tezcatlipoca posted:

People should be allowed to take days off without retaliation.

This sounds like one of those "X keeps needing shifts covered but also says the place sucks" vs "needs time for family issues" where the former is likely to create resentment among other employees not getting shifts covered and supervisors who hear about it.

I've seen similar things in hospitality, but its usually "you're only getting 2 shifts this week instead of 4-5; if you need to keep calling out then you need to change your availability so this doesn't keep happening" and they phrase it like they are doing someone a favor despite pushing them to quit of their own free will.

Being pulled aside and told you aren't scheduled is a straight power move and the owner is being a petulant child because he's taking your words personally.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think it was Wroughtirony that had the great story about the guy allergic to salt.

I thought it was the guy "deathly allergic to seafood will absolutely die if he touches it" who then started snacking on the shrimp because "a little bit doesn't bother me"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

Small business owners are honestly so important

I have a wall you can be up against, Ms. Boucher.

Bu-bu-but job creators!!! :saddowns:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This article has been making the rounds in other threads it seems appropiate.

https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

Just from following this thread, it really seems like this person made the worst possible choice every single step of the way.

From his entire ambition of wanting to be like Marco Pierre White is in YouTube clips of him drinking cider and being chummy with customers he ended up wasting all his money, fracturing his family, owing debt to several personal friends, and walking away in tatters from an operation that once run competently was a thriving business.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

No Wave posted:

That article is interesting. Everyone's so nice to him, everything goes way better than it really should, but it still fails very quickly. He just was completely clueless on the business end (as if having $0 in liquid capital on opening day didnt prove that already).

He had a ton of help from a successful friend, letting him work as a vegetable prep for 3 months to qualify for the liquor license, helped him get the space he couldn't afford by buying it and leasing it to him, probably a ton of other help in general.

Does seem a bit like the friend could see the obvious that his idealist buddy was going to sink all his money and go into huge debt to get a place functional, up and running and then fail and pick up the operation on the cheap and run it right.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Challenge accepted!

He's so idiotically open about wage theft that you can probably get a lawyer to take the case on contingency. You personally won't likely get anything besides your stolen wages back, but it'll royally gently caress him over and I think we can all agree that's the objective here. You definitely should at least look up and call a local labor attorney or two and talk to them about it.

Also listen to ParserGirl and call up your state Department of Labor right now. He is going to get his rear end fined a bazillion dollars for that.

I knew someone fired as an "accessory" without any evidence to someone on camera commiting a small theft because he had briefly spoken to the person and his bosses decided to assume he was planning the theft with them.

His lawyer basically told him it was a can't lose case and the only question was take an offer of $60k or squeeze them for a year and see if they'll go higher.

It was (after lawyer fees) about 3 months pay plus a nice chunk for the whole hassle and they are legally required to give him a positive work reference in the future.

When bosses gently caress around with labor laws they can get wrecked pretty fast, they just count on it being easier for people to find a new job then have to deal with getting a lawyer and making all those meetings and hearings plus suing your old workplace would discourage other places from hiring you while its ongoing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tsathoggua posted:

Holy poo poo. It was my last day today.

A month ago, I told the owner that the kitchen needed raises or a higher tipout (2% of food was wildly low). He agreed, then wanted to talk exact numbers. He's stalled or ghosted every single time we've set up a meeting, prompting me to give notice.

Yesterday, he decided to wear his underwear on his head and dance around for a table (who were quite upset).

Today, he reached into the line and grabbed "breakfast", involving a bunch of raw meat, ready-to-serve veggies, and cheeses, all bare-handed, chucking them all into a togo box. I had to ditch 6 deep 1/6th pans, right before brunch service.

Mid-service, he hands me two paycheques and told me he's buying me out of the last two weeks of my month-long notice, and that I shouldn't show up next week.

That place is going to crash and burn, and I'm drat glad it isn't my problem anymore.

So many questions. Main one: cocaine/alcohol?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't know if this is too morbid or depressing but has anyone had a favorite restaurant or place that ending up failing through no actual faults on the business side?

Back when I was a kid a frozen custard shop opened up in an area with no other frozen custard shops for like 50 miles, so it did gangbusters, maintained it's quality reputation, and for a decade+ was busy every weekend with lines out the door.

It was a true family place, the older kids worked as employees (I hope they got paid) they had a theme of certain specialty flavors on certain days and you could buy a simple little cheap magnetic calendar or was free if you bought like $20 worth of ice cream. They had a massive food challenge and a wall of champions too. The best part of it was that it was right next door to a Five Guys and a pretty nice Thai restaurant. It was dessert central for 2 fairly busy restaurants.

Then the divorce came, and the first fallout was them selling the shop to a third party as they couldn't work together and couldn't afford to buy the other out. It went from a outstanding place to a decent by the numbers shop just keeping standards consistent and not doing anything special. It ended up closing a few years later, never found out why.

Kind of sucks that something as fundamental as a single personal relationship falling apart is enough to ruin a thriving business.

edit: Actually now looking into it I was wrong about the closing and is apparently still a success, that was all second hand from people who lived there while I hadn't been back in years. They changed up the name completely so I probably just got confused. When you google the old name, one of the top results is an article from 2010 about the great successful family business, but the first business link is to a completely different name and says their logo has "Established 2015".

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 24, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

I have a random question: What's an acceptable rate or flat fee to pay a stage for working interviews?

I remember someone in here saying something along the lines of 'if you're not willing to pay a few bucks to figure out if you like someone' then its a red flag: Obviously, its a different rate in different parts of the usa due to cost of living, but i'm just trying to figure out a good ballpark

Bare minimum is minimum wage. Its kind of why its called that.

Higher then that would be more of how good of a person you are.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

There are many famous chefs and restauranteurs that are great to work for. Unfortunately, that’s less that 2% of the “chefs” an average person can name.

Isn't Noma the biggest/worst offender for using stages? Like dozens and dozens at a minimum and the argument was that was the only way Noma could do what if did was with all that unpaid labor.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
To add a litte levity to the thread I though everyone might enjoy the meltdown someone had in the gbs reddit thread deciding to argue over what is and is not appropriate to do when serving alcohol to over intoxicated people.

Noslo posted:

She definitely right if it's told as is, but the story has some red flags to question the narrator

And I think the story was written the day after, for the exact reason you said that someone that drunk wouldn't be so coherent

But restaurants can, will and should cut someone off who has had too much to drink

the smart thing is to just make the drinks virgin and comp them to keep the customer happy

Que ~2 pages of back and forth with this poster getting progressively more unhinged in a truly steller example of Dunner-Kruger as they both proceed to both invent a strawman to attack and wildly backpedal on their initial idea to offer another that is just as illegal and dangerous while stroking their own ego over how hard they are taking down every other poster.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pile of brown posted:

Wait how is giving a drunk person who orders a Jack and Coke a free regular Coke instead illegal or dangerous?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Had a repair guy come in today to fix one of the walk ins that was leaking. He told the people that I still had there for finishing the break down that he had the virus and wasn't telling his boss, that he went on a cruise and caught it, described symptoms, was taking medication etc. Was very serious and had a whole elaborate story. Touched all of our food, all kinds of equipment, had interacted with my entire staff.

My staff freaked out and basically ran, and my sous called me, I was already on the way in. After a few calls between our GM and the repair company, we find out he was joking! Making a funny joke! Haha!

I got in and tore him apart. Dude said he is "protected by jesus" and so can't get sick, so it's all a big joke to him. Ended up speaking to the dispatch manager who assured me they are taking every precaution, checking temps of their workers every morning etc etc. I told him that there is something wrong mentally and morally with the tech, and demanded his job. They said they will certainly be having a very serious discussion with the tech about his future with them. Manager was taking it very seriously and was audibly enraged.

Like what the gently caress. That's like screaming fire in a movie theater, or saying bomb on a an airplane post 9/11. Way to end your career over a Funny Joke Jimmy, you greasy loving slob piece of poo poo. Tell jesus I said hi when he sends you downstairs.

Maybe look into filing a police report? It's pretty clear he caused immense panic and fear to multiple people enough that they felt the need to leave the premises while there in a official job capacity.

There are tons of people pulling poo poo like this and laughing their rear end off and it's not going to stop until they realize they are flirting with years plural in prison. All the MAGA people and religious right "buy our $20 water to cure this" are proudly and defiantly mocking the people who say its serious and going out of their way to defy any health orders coming from authority.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I haven't seen too many examples of justifiable homicide before but I think no jury on earth would ever convict this woman.

AITA for “banning” my husband from the kitchen until he learns to respect my equipment?

quote:

I love to cook, I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid. I have some good cooking equipment that reflects that fact. My husband decided that he was going to start cooking as well, which I was all for. But he started cooking in the kitchen and damaging my equipment. A non-comprehensive list:

- He cooks with my all-clad skillets with the heat up high for fifteen minutes, and then “washes” them by bringing them over to the sink and dousing them with cold water. He says he “likes the sizzle.” At least one of the skillets is warping a bit, it won’t sit straight on the stove anymore and doesn’t cook evenly.
- He uses my chef’s knife to scrape crud off the counter. I told him to use my razor blade scraper to do it, he said “well, that would be overkill.”
- I have a small toaster oven that acts as a mini-oven, I absolutely love. He butters toast BEFORE putting it in the oven. The fat drips onto the element. He did this so much that I’ve already had to have the element replaced once. He continues to do it and says “we can just replace it again.”
- He cooked a tomato sauce in my seasoned cast iron skillet and then ran it through the dishwasher.
- He leaves lemon juice, tomato, vinegar spills all over the granite countertops. When I tell him to clean up immediately, he laughs and says, “it’s granite, it’s indestructible!”

This all annoyed me so much. I’m annoyed just typing it. Finally I told him that unless he starts actually respecting my equipment, I’m going to put it all under lock and key. He said, “what, you’re banishing me from the kitchen? From my own house?” I said “yes, you’re ruining all of my things.” He implied that it all belonged to him since he “bought it,” but I am fully aware that I had all of this stuff and bought all of this stuff before we got married.

AITA? All I want is for him to respect my things. He knows that I hate when he does this stuff but he shouts and yells and calls me over critical every time I try to explain it to him. I’m at my wit’s end.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alkydere posted:

I mean...you still can. It's just likely gonna be a job for Amazon which is an entirely different pile of bullshit (though no loving with your hours, that's one thing Amazon doesn't do).

But yeah, I don't think anyone here expected the thread title to refer to the entire industry.

Some places might recover, certain places are turbo hosed.

All the AYCE/buffet places? Toast. Korean BBQ? Shabu? Hot Pot? Japanese Steakhouse Benihana-style? Same. Any place that doesn't have a equivalent take out/delivery option of any kind, the places where the experience of the eating is half the fun aren't going to be able to reopen in any meaningful capacity and even when they give the "all clear" people will still avoid them just to be safe and get takeout from a traditional restaurant instead.

An Applebees or local breakfast diner can still set up and have people sitting 6 ft apart, take out/pick up orders going out and hopefully scrape by.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I wonder if the states that have recently allowed to go liquor sales are gonna try and take it back when we get closer to normal, and if they'll be able too. I don't see it happening, because even when restaurants are allowed to re-open to full capacity I'm betting take out orders are still going to be a much, much bigger portion of their revenue for a long time than in the past.

They need to get those quick seal lid machines you see at the boba places and then it can be like Starbucks but for alcohol.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I guess Wisconsin will be the first sacrifice on the alter of "economy". The massive rush for everyone to go out and binge drink as much as they can for the next few days/weeks will definitely have some drastic results.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bloody ghost titty posted:

Seeing as I had a sit down dinner in a restaurant in Texas (masked unless eating, socially distanced, sanitation protocols implemented), I’d argue it’s not dead just likely to be more expensive going forward.

3 guesses where all those increased costs are going to be squeezed from (ofc it'll be from labor)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mithross posted:

Of course they will let them die off. Big business can weather the storm, pick up all the cheap property, and everything can be chain restaurants as far as the eye can see.

Demolition Man was right and soon all restaurants will be Taco Bell.

From simpler times when this was thought as cute and playful and not a savage accurate prediction of the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFKoGtgg6Mo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Maybe it's because I'm an old feeb, but QR menus sound like they'd be a nightmare for FOH and BOH both.

"Here's your apps, enjoy!"
"I DIDN'T ORDER THESE POTATO SKINS, I ORDERED JALAPENO POPPERS!"
"Oh, sorry sir, but your order here shows ---"
"WELL I CLICKED THE WRONG THING! MAKE IT RIGHT!"
[tips like poo poo because of something the server had no control over]

or:
FOH: "Can y'all make this order again? They asked for no onions, but didn't put it in the app."
BOH: [ready to stab everyone with a dull knife]

I mean, we got this kind of poo poo all the time in the last place I worked in the Before Times, with DoorDash. This sounds like a fresh new hell I want nothing to do with.

Those kinds of people would confirm 10x times they're sure that's how they want it and still scream over it being wrong because that wasn't what they wanted.

see: "I ordered a steak medium rare and when they sent it out it was still pink so I sent it back 0/5stars"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

Even high end places pay poo poo wages. I worked at a now Michelin starred place (it hadn't gotten stars yet when I worked there) and they were paying me $12.00 an hour when I started. That was after I talked them up to a higher wage because I had a decade of experience already.

I only took the job because I knew it would look good on a resume and I was single and could live cheaply.

That's kinda what they count on. Most people working there put in about a year so they can slap it on a resume and then move on to bigger and better things. I stayed there 3 1/2 years and left after it was clear there was no hope of a more senior position being offered there.

The last straw was when I found an ad from the place looking for a Pastry Sous Chef a position I was more than qualified for but because of kitchen politics it wasn't even mentioned it was available.

The person that replaced me when I left was getting paid even less than I was for the same position.

Staging has finally gotten enough bad publicity to turn opinions on it but for the longest time the argument was without hordes of young skilled chefs to work for free none of these world class places like Noma could exist at all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Well, I mean, you're using a system that was designed to accommodate royalty. What did people think would happen when the middle class expected the same treatment? Who pays the difference?

Listening to people explain their expectations and tipping habits is a great way to identify lovely personalities for how they treat everyone in life.

So you expect to be 100% wholly catered to, every whim and demand, and if you see a waitress frown you only tip a $1 if everything else was perfect? Cool, you can die in a fire.

ughhhh posted:

I worked with one of those people who came out of Noma and he expected me to work unpaid like he did at Noma putting extra hours outside of work hours. gently caress them.

All the fawning media Rene has ever been in he talks about time intensive and laborious all his world class dishes are, and on the back of every single dish is 40 hours of unpaid labor. He outright defends the idea that without a small army of unpaid labor he could never run the restaurant.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 28, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sextro posted:

What's different in 3 months?

The weak will have been culled.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thotsky posted:

Clearly the Bon Appétit negotiations led nowhere, so all the POCs there have woved not to appear in any further videos. That's probably going to hamper any effort do start up again as fans will fill the comments with bad press should anyone be seen in the background, or maybe just in general.

It's not entirely surprising. It looked a bit like there was something akin to a unionizstion effort, at the very least success with collective bargaining would have made it more likely.

I am guessing the people who spoke up about poo poo will get sacked or encouraged to leave, but quietly and not all at one's to avoid bad press.

I can't see BA as a brand recovering no matter what they do. Everything they try to do moving forward is going to get raked over the coals and that's assuming they don't end up pulling a Allison Roman "it's not a curry its MY STEW" at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mithross posted:

Last night I got a ticket to-go, table #0.

I work at a casino, our to-go tickets are either labeled with the customer name or the number of the beeper we gave them to alert them when their order was finished. There is no beeper 0. Four minutes later I got a second ticket for table 0 to go, with the exact same ticket number (this indicated that the order was added on to an established ticket, not a new order. On to-go orders we require the guest to pay immediately, which closes the check. A follow up like this indicates that after they ordered, but before they paid, they wanted something else. Unusual but not impossible, except for the long time span). Four minutes on the dot after that I got a third ticket, table 0, same ticket number again. This is a thing that does not happen. I went and looked, nobody at the host stand, paying for their order.

I held on to the kitchen copy of the tickets, handed them off to my FoH counterpart, we looked them up after close. Turns out the entire night crew had noticed a guest used a $100 comp to pay for $50 in food, and decided to add on their own take home orders to the comp three hours later. Incredibly, incredibly obviously. Like, I guess they assumed I am mostly braindead. The casino I work for treats using a customer's comp to order food as direct theft of paper money, and it is usually an immediate firing offense. Basically, our accounting department is probably about to fire literally my entire closing staff, all because they are so stupid they couldn't even make up real looking fake tickets.

Was there some rigorous paper trail that clearly spelled out what was going on for management or if you had just ignored and thrown the ticket 0s away would no one be in trouble?