Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Guy Mann posted:

Almost any animated show made before HD was the standard has aged poorly because cheap TV animation is even uglier when it doesn't have the filter of the warm fuzzy blur of an SD cathode ray tube.

I don't think this is necessarily the case. A lot of old cel-animation can still look really good or even better than when it originally aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I loved it growing up--had all the die-cast models n' poo poo--but when I revisted an episode or two as an adult the whole thing has some horrifying authoritarian "keep your head down, do your loving job, and don't question the way things are" themes to it.

Well, the trains do have to run on time.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

That reminds me of other anthology shows:

Tales from the Darkside has largely not aged well, because most of it was shot on shiteo (or at least the copies I can find around the internet are as such), although the movie is :krad: for the third segment alone.

Tales from the Darkside also had some really racist stuff in it.

Speaking of horror anthologies, Black Mirror is going to age so badly. Not that I think its good right now, but its pretty popular at the moment.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Star Trek: The Next Generation had the episode Conspiracy, which was a horror episode that tonally didn't fit with the rest of the series and it was awesome. The threat in that episode was what the Borg was originally going to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Vr9LnogLM

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not counting SMG (I'm assuming)there can't possibly be anyone who defends Sucker Punch can there

You are forgetting about all the posters who imitate him, and do in-depth analysis about how a children's film is actually about communism. (Every film is actually about communism according to CineD.)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

trickybiscuits posted:

Always Sunny is still going? Good God!

Following up this comment to add that suddenly the show's affable klansman is uncomfortable in a way that wasn't intended. Still pretty funny though.

The X-Files is weird because the conspiracy episodes have aged terribly but some of the MotW episodes are still very good. I've got a soft spot for Die Handt Die Verletzt; the creepy substitute teacher lady in that episode showed up as a White House tour guide on Flight of the Conchords, which was pretty cool.

The main plot episodes were always kind of terrible though. While having more serialized TV shows is cool, I do wish shows would still sometimes have stand alone episodes. Sometimes there are cool plots that don't really work if they are tied into a larger and longer narrative.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Foxhound posted:

I was listening to an audiobook some time ago and the adult male reader tried to do a "10 year old girl" voice and I literally couldn't finish it.

Anytime a audibook narrator tries to do a voice for a character the opposite sex of them is almost always hillariously bad, especially if the character has some sort of accent or speech quirk.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Adimeadozen posted:

The rare chance you can feel like maybe you pronounce something right as an American
http://etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=solder

The british lose all rights to claim they pronounce things correctly when they pronounce lieutenant as "leftenant".

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Was there some love triangle thing I missed by not really watching the show consistently?

No, he ended up having to help deliver Keiko's first baby when they got stuck in a turbolift.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I think the power rangers even showed up in a giant sentai cross-over episode which also had the kyruuanger squad in it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

"She's a Lady" - Tom Jones - He praises his woman - as long as she knows her place.

quote:

Well, she's all you'd ever want
She's the kind I like to flaunt and take to dinner
But she always knows her place
She's got style, she's got grace, she's a winner

quote:

He has no style, he has no grace
This Kong has a funny face
He can handstand when he needs to
And stretch his arms out, just for you
Inflate himself just like a balloon
This crazy Kong just digs this tune

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've always found it weird how game shows tape so many episodes in advance, so that part still holds up.

It's way cheaper to film everything at once instead of having people keep coming back and having to set everything up again.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

One of the weird things about Cleopatra 2525 was that I heard there was a character from Shadowrun in it (it might have been a different RPG)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The seventh season had some really boring and bad episodes in it. Like the one about the murder that took place during the construction of the enterprise.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Len posted:

My fiancee is part Korean and referred to herself as Oriental and months later we're still arguing about how that's a racism and she shouldn't do it

As a minority myself, one of the most annoying things a person can do is to continue to get angry on your behalf even if you explained that its perfectly fine, and you don't actually see it as a problem. Unless she is like only 1/16 Korean or something.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

He also killed a ton of people after they were married.

But he said my bad so who can be mad

Basically every friend Goku has made since Bulma was originally a villain. Even Yamcha was a bandit.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How many dead girlfriends does a Gundam show need to stretch the story out to 50 episodes?

This is not the opening to a joke or anything, I just think these shows inherently repeat themselves. Beside I saw LOGH ten years ago and every other political space opera is a downgrade next to it.

I don't know how many dead girlfriends a Gundam show needs, but there usually needs to be two dead parents killed because of the protagonist.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

I won't stand for this erasure of the incredible gnome that lives in peoples' mouths.

I can't believe you guys forgot to mention Candlejack he was-

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Whybird posted:

If it were that expensive how come Reboot managed it for four seasons huh?

That's because it was set in mainframe city, which is in Colorado.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

SmokaDustbowl posted:

in the arnold movie Red Heat the intro to the movie is a bathhouse full of muscular dudes with a couple naked women. you know someone on set was like "this turned out so gay, we have to add some naked boobies"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9DHefH5ng

It could also just be someone going, "Audiences like naked boobies, let's add some naked boobies"

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

nonathlon posted:

As bad? Funky Cancerbean is remarkable but it plays out over a long timescale, is very melodramatic and isn't harvested from the authors own life. Reading For Better Or For Worse post-divorce was an awful glimpse inside someone's grief, it was so closely modelled on her own life. Some of the author notes were just depressing, where she talked about all the spare time she had and how it was simpler to just cook and clean for one. And wasn't there some strange drama about the creator rewriting her children's lives?

Edit: Rereading what I wrote, it understates just strange Funky got in it's own right. Is there any good timeline of that out on the web?

My understanding of the For Better or For Worse author was that she was so awful to be around, that even her children sympathized with her dad when he was the one to have an affair. Also, yes, the author rewrote the characters in the comics to be her ideal family in the reboot. Also, she even had some really petty snipes against her family.

IShallRiseAgain has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Sep 13, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Alexander Hamilton posted:

The Bible Extended Universe

Christianity and Islam are fan-fiction of the Torah.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Kchama posted:

I was making a joke about you saying that "Japanese was 'ahead of the curve' with anime", because anime by definition is Japanese. So shockingly, in the category that is only Japanese, the Japanese are 'ahead of the curve'.

Either way, you're wrong about your suspicion. Western scifi was having incest as a Hot And Sexy Thing long before the first hentai was even made. Heinlein was doing it in the 50s and 60s.

The Japanese novel Tale of Genji (the first novel ever written) has elements of erotic incest in it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I don't think E.L. James is Mormon, that would be Stephenie Meyer (the one who actually wrote Twilight/was later used as a basis for Fifty Shades)

I feel like the large amount of craps are due to her just trying and failing to Americanize things?? Like if somebody born and raised in the US tried to write a novel based in the UK and assumed the best way to get that across was if every character interjected with a "bloody [x]!" every two minutes

Is that not how the British speak? (between taking sips from their tea of course)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Its really amazing how every character in disenchantment is a lame clone of a futurama character. Bean is just Leela, Elfo is just a creepy fry, and Luci is just Bender but without a personality. The only character that is actually entertaining is the king.

Also, yeah there is way too much focus on the main plot. The show would probably work better if there were more standalone episodes. The world is too silly and inconsistent for me to care when it tries to do serious drama.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The game based on the Man Show got banned because they accidentally had nudity of a minor in it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I think one of the issues with Wind Waker is that it didn't really look good in the low-quality screenshots/video of the era it was released.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Skyler has the problem that she is supposedly the moral high ground character, but there isn't much to her character beyond that and she isn't even doing a good job of actually being that moral of a character. People blame sexism for people disliking her, but there isn't anything to like in the first place and its the fault of the writers.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

It's the same thing that leads Paul Ryan to have Rage Against the Machine as his favorite band. They don't actually pay attention to the art they claim to enjoy.

I think its more because pretty much everybody barely pays attention to lyrics aside from rote memorization so they can sing along to it. Its why songs with ultra-depressing lyrics constantly shows up in inappropriate places. People care about the beat, not the message. Pretty much the only time people care about the lyrics is when they are looking for a reason to call somebody out.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

credburn posted:

I learned my mother was a lesbian because I came home from school early and saw her having sex with my babysitter.

We didn't talk about it for twenty-five years.

Yikes, I'm assuming the babysitter was probably underage too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Seriously what the gently caress. Imagine going out of your way to have a cake made to look like the corpse of a recently deceased person for your Halloween party. He probably paid a lot of money to a professional to have it made.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

There actually is a movie. I liked it ok but it was a mega flop, probably because no one cares about a movie titled "John Carter". Also, everyone was clothed. Fuckin' disney...

I remember the trailers made the film look awful, despite it being a decent enough film.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

You're all reminding me that my first exposure to these terrible public domain characters was the short lived 80's cartoon, "Defenders of the Earth."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nblpob8gyzs

Those characters aren't public domain, but the rights to them were probably super cheap.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Volcott posted:

Satanic temple are the good ones. Bahombet statue.

They are just lame edgelords. r/atheism posters if they went outside.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Speaking of things that have aged poorly, the episodes of the Simpsons set in the future where Lisa Simpson is a stand in for Hillary Clinton. A lot of people thought it was a given Hillary was going to be president one day (including Hillary Clinton herself).

Also, I hate how Lisa always has to be right now. She used to be a character that could occasionally be wrong, but now she is basically a mouthpiece for the opinions of the writers, and if you are against what she is saying you must be stupid.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I still think the first shrek is a good movie that still holds up, and the issue is with the later entries. The main thing that aged poorly is the bullet time joke, which was already overdone at the time of the release.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

selec posted:

I’m reading through the Flashman Papers and it feels like media that has aged poorly and then started to whip back around to aging well.

It’s bad if you sympathize with the main character, a racist, sexist rear end in a top hat who commits every sin known to man. It’s good when you realize it’s a series about how godawful the British are. It’s villainy told unsparingly from the perspective of the villain, and the author making every book hinge on the main character behaving poorly, and that poor behavior leading to every following travail makes it all become this fun circle of “Harry is accused at cheating at cards, makes an enormous rear end of himself and nearly kills somebody at a house party in the British countryside, and winds up nearly being scalped at Little Big Horn.”

The Ciaphas Cain Warhammer books being a tribute to these feels like seeing an episode of Sesame Street that riffs on Goodfellas once you’ve read the source material.

I feel like Ciaphas Cain is different enough that it stands well on its own. Ciaphas Cain is a coward (but is capable of being brave when its really needed), but isn't actually that bad of a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Vandar posted:

I am still so very tired of seeing Pepe all around the internet.

I hate that fuckin' frog so much...

I love how people went through all the effort to reclaim him from the nazis and then the creator just sold out and made NFTs.