Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

muscles like this! posted:

Scorcese has made good movies but he can be pretty inconsistent. Like the gimmick of The Irishman was a huge waste of time and money because it was just completely not believable and didn't actually add anything to the story.

With the magic of computers we can turn an 80 year-old Robert de Niro into a 20 year old who looks 40 and moves like he's 80!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

pentyne posted:

The whole "prisoners ate lobsters" is one of most pervasive food myths I can think of. There's really no source for it beyond marketing ad campaigns from the 50s.

Also, almost all lobster is either frozen, then cooked, or cooked right after being killed. Imagine in the time before fridges and freezers just how gross those lobsters would be sitting on a truck for a day or two before being dropped off at a prison.

Yeah, there's a reason lobsters are the only animal in the supermarket they keep swimming around in a tank until you're ready to take it home.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I can't remember who it is, but some comedian had a riff about the word "retarded" being a fairly nice and charitable word to refer to developmentally delayed people, and of course, kids had to go and ruin it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I went through Season 4 of AD maybe a year ago for the first time since it came out and was surprised how well it held up; I remembered not liking it much at the time. I still think about "Cinco de Quatro" about once per day. But I barely made it an episode into Season 5, it was truly dire.

In terms of early trans representation, Dog Day Afternoon holds up incredibly well, in addition to being a thrilling movie besides. If you just hear the plot of a 70s movie as "man robs a bank to pay for partner's gender-reassignment surgery," you'd imagine the most sneering portrayal imaginable, but both characters are treated with dignity.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
You could probably make a good adaptation out of Y: The Last Man that incorporates trans themes better, but somehow I don't see this being the one.

One aspect I remember liking that I doubt they'll keep is the origin of the death of men: there isn't one. There's a few different hypothetical origins, like a bioweapon or an amulet being stolen from a tomb, but nothing ever goes beyond speculation. It's really hard to see something like that in a YouTube-explainer, theory crafting, puzzle box-obsessed media environment.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Neito posted:

You say that, but Black Hole Sun was on my local classic rock station, WZLX, the other day. At the very least, it's moving forward in some of the major radio/college markets.

Black Hole Sun has some weird timeless quality to it. I was hearing it on WLUP in Chicago in the mid-200s, well before they started mixing more modern stuff into the standard hard rock format. Could've sworn I even heard it on WDRV, which doesn't play tracks from any band formed after 1977.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh im not sure how anyone could read lolita and think this lol, hh is a piece of poo poo from the beginning to end

I did the first time I read it, though to be fair I was like 16. Humbert is such a clever, quick-witted character that it is possible for a reader to be taken in by him.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There's really no way to deal with the White Walkers, and I'm really curious what GRRM's initial plan for them was, if any. The correct thing would be to have the succession crisis settled and then have the zombies crush the weakened kingdom as a metaphor for climate change, but that's a real downer of an ending. Them being a brief roadblock is their only narratively useful role, but that's anticlimactic.

You could have the factions put up a united front briefly, but before the zombies are cruahes totally the claimants turn on each other, allowing the Night King to regroup and grow his numbers again before emerging as the final foe, but having the final conflict center around a CG guy and his digital warriors is, again, a letdown.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I went through Arrested Development about a year ago and was surprised at how well season 4 held up. It wasn't quite as good as the previous seasons, but going into it with the knowledge that it was largely character vignettes curbed the disappointment about the whole cast not being together.

But I made it about an episode and a half into season 5 before frantically closing my media player. It was terrible.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Looking it up, he's only been in two movies since then, too. He's essentially done five appearances in the past ten years. (Technically six, but one of those is archive footage of him hanging out with Jeffrey Epstein, so...) Hopefully he's just hanging out with his money, and that Epstein thing is just a fluke.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
At least in the first couple seasons, Hank Hill is pretty consistently in the wrong, or at least in an antagonistic sort of role. I remembered the Halloween episode standing out to me at the time because it was the first time Hank was playing the straight man to everybody else overreacting about Halloween being devil worship.

Hank also canonically didn't vote for Bush, so it's hard to imagine that he then voted for Trump, but as has been pointed out, Buck Strickland is a pretty Trumpian figure whom Hank respects.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Whedon was never feminist so much as he had fetishes that happened to be different from those of the boomers who made most media at the time.

Somebody had an insightful take that Whedon, like Chris Claremont, was somebody whose fetishes happened to line up with being progressive at the time he was writing.

I rewatched Buffy and Angel sometime post-covid, so after Whedon's cultivated image had been shattered, and the thing that really hurts is that those two shows (with some glaring exceptions) really do such a great job of characterizing their female casts. Cordelia was one of the most fully fleshed-out characters on TV (until Charisma Carpenter got pregnant and Whedon assassinated her character in retaliation). If you only look at what's on the screen and none of the behind-the-scenes stuff I get why you'd believe this is a guy who Gets It.

The episode of Buffy where Angel turns evil is one of the finest hours of television ever, and it makes my blood boil that the man had to have a rule enacted against him that he couldn't be alone in a room with an underaged cast member.

Mr.Chill posted:

Agreed. The gender politics in Firefly were odd as hell. She's strong because she can fight, and she's strong because she's a mechanic and only boys can do that (that's cute!), and she's strong because she has sex (but our hero still calls her a whore a lot just so you don't think we're encouraging that kind of thing).

Firefly is everything that people who've never seen Buffy think Buffy is. It's aged like milk and I don't blame Fox for canceling it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

christmas boots posted:

Did he ever have his poo poo to begin with?

From recent interviews it seems like Miller has returned to a base level of poo poo having, having turned the page on some of his more off-the-wall statements.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I AM GRANDO posted:

I feel like even though Jubilee was a relatively new character at that point, she’d have been established well enough to know to be nice around a dying child.

How old is Kitty Pryde supposed to be in that comic? When I was reading comics in that era, I had a sense that she was early 30s, but in the 80s she was 14 or 15, so I have no idea. She definitely looks like a mom on a teen drama in that panel.

Ages are basically choose your own adventure at this point. She's introduced in the early 80s as 12 and a half and ages in real time for a few years, but then that slows down and she ought to have been like 15 or 16 in the early 90s. But a few years later Warren Ellis has her dating a 30 year old (because he also thought she was a lot older than she was).

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jedit posted:

She's been fairly consistently 25 since the mid-00s.

Well of course, nobody can be older than 29 and we all know Kitty used to be younger than Cyclops et al, so 25 she stays.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

pentyne posted:

I'd hesitate to call Ridely Scott movies 'great' because there's quite a few that were just okay and it didn't seem like it got butchered by producers.

Maybe he did get done dirty a lot but quite a few of those movies seem aggressively mediocre. It's more like he just loves giving Russel Crowe acting jobs.

Otherwise the cachet he got from Alien, Blade Runner and later Gladiator pushed him solidly into the top tier.

1. Matchstick Men is great
2. Any director that's made three or four all-time classics I think we can reasonably consider "great," even if there's a lot of chaff in with the wheat.

Regarding Ridley Scott's relationship with film execs, I would expect that he's pretty well-liked. He's efficient and probably brings things in on/under budget. The Kevin Spacey stuff came out two months before All the Money in the World was to be released, and Scott managed to reshoot the entire role in like a week with Christopher Plummer.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Roman Polanski is a real lovely person but it's weird to act like he's not a talented director. He's made like 3 or 4 all-timers and a handful of minor classics, and he ought to be in jail.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

moonmazed posted:

in all the scenes where he's teaching he's just an absolute piece of poo poo to his students, wildly disrespectful, insults them to their face, and the only reason i can think anyone wouldn't immediately be disgusted by that behavior (and by how he treats jesse) is that they wish they could talk to their own kids like that

Gilligan was talking in some interview how they had a scene in the finale where Walt runs into an old student of his and asks him what he took away from his class, and the student's reply is along the lines of, "I thought it was cool when you used powder to make the fire turn green." In however many years of teaching he's made no lasting impact.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jedit posted:

I like the Star Trek analogy. Being Jewish is like watching TOS, Christianity is like watching TNG, and Islam is like watching DS9. And Mormons are the people who watched all the shows and thought they could do better, so they wrote a lovely fanfic and called it canon.

I know more about the Bible than I know about Star Trek, but I think the original Alien movies might be a better comparison.

Alien (Old Testament): it's the original one
Aliens (New Testament): new creative team, totally different tone than the first one, features bad guy played by Paul
Alien 3 (Quran): another new creative team, follows the events of the previous film but is more inspired by the tone of the original
Alien Resurrection (Book of Mormon): what's going on, written by a man who hates women

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Drew Carey show was one of the shows I watched with my parents when I was a kid and I remembered it having some pretty gonzo plots, like I think there's a multiple episode arc where Drew ends up in a coma and has a conversation with his unborn nephew in the womb or something, but I didn't remember the whole show just throwing stuff at the wall like that.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rascar Capac posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't call Keanu a bad actor, just one with a fairly limited range.

That's a really important distinction to make and I think it's why we've had such a Keanussaince in the past decade or so: casting directors finally started giving him the right roles.

There's a tidbit on his Wikipedia page about him playing Hamlet on stage and some reviewer gushing endlessly about the performance. It makes me really curious to have seen that production since it doesn't seem like something that would be particularly in his wheelhouse, excerpt for maybe how he comes across in interviews.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

jjack229 posted:

We rewatched it earlier this year before watching the new one. There are still buts and pieces that I like of the first two, but there are tons of rough spots, including how much of a creep Murray's character is.

The thing that struck me about Ghostbusters is how Murray is legitimately very funny in it, but everybody else in the movie plays it completely straight, so when he cracks wise it just falls to the floor like a lead balloon because nobody reacts.

I can kind of understand in an intellectual way how it’s important for blending sci-fi and comedy in a novel way, but as somebody who didn't grow up with it Ghostbusters' popularity kind of baffles me.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Is NCIS the one with the goth girl that causes all men in their fifties to have confusing feelings? This may be an experience specific to me, but I've had multiple older dudes who don't know each other, in different fields, mention "the goth girl on that crime show" to me in hushed tones.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There's really nothing you can do in situations like that when you've got 70-year-old rockers trying to sing songs they wrote when they were in their 20s (except retire, I suppose). Art Garfunkel was able to hit the high notes in Bridge Over Troubled Water for almost 50 years, but his voice has gotten a lot weaker in the last couple years on account of literally being an octogenarian.

It's gonna be interesting once we start getting 60s and 70s bands composed entirely of replacement members who joined in the 90s and Millenials.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jedit posted:

The Four Tops still tour despite every original member having retired. Some of the current members have been in the band since the 60s though.

Yeah, there's several bands that have no founding members left, but I'm struggling to think of any that don't have any "classic" members, per se.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

HopperUK posted:

One time I had a young woman come into the pharmacy and she told me she'd taken - I think about 70 paracetamol tablets. That wasn't what was making her unwell right then, though. It was that they were the 'extra' kind with added caffeine. Poor thing could hardly sit still. The ambulance took her away, I really hope she came through.

Out of sheer horrific curiosity, I just drank a 32 oz soda, so how many 32 oz sodas worth of caffeine is that?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CelticPredator posted:

If a podcast requires you to listen to it at any speed other than normal then stop listening and do something else lmao

Absolutely agreed, that is pure psycho poo poo. I have a huge backlog of podcasts to listen to, and you know what? I'll get around to it.

I was once listening to a podcast and everybody was speaking way too fast and I realized I had accidentally toggled over to 1.3x speed, not even that big of an increase, but it was giving me major anxiety.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There are complaints you can make about Wind Waker, like how they pretty obvious cut two dungeons out of the game and implemented the tedious Triforce hunt, but the graphics absolutely hold up. There was a remaster but even the original game looks incredible to this day. And for all the guff it got for not being the Spaceworld demo, it's probably the most mature Zelda in terms of storytelling, the only one to make Ganon a compelling character, and the final scene with him is still probably the most violent act that's occurred in the series.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

pentyne posted:

speaking of

0. drat this art is bad.
1. Dr. Doom wouldn't care.
2. Kingpin might sort of care as a New Yorker.
3. At some points in his life Magneto might care, but in 2001 he was three years away from opening death camps for humans in Central Park.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Did any superheroish comics have the guts to just roll with how their villains would actually respond to this?

None that I can think of on the villain side. Ex Machina has the main character successfully saving one of the towers as part of his backstory, that's all I've got.

Honestly with all of the New York based villains there would have been some who felt bad about it! Like the Vulture or somebody was like, drat, man... Kingpin, whether he was personally moved or not, definitely wore one of those pins lost past the point where it was fashionable.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
House is fascinating in that it takes a bunch of world-class actors and an extremely talented production team and uses that crew to make... well, House.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

well why not posted:

Speak of crime shows, Justified goes to some pretty long lengths to explain that Raylan Givens is NOT a cop, he's a Marshall. He does NOT solve crimes, he only catches criminals. Except he solves heaps of crimes and shoots more criminals than he catches. The shooting actually ramps down over the course of the series as it's less and less appropriate for a TV hero to stack bodies. Great show, extremely solid dad tv.

The show wisely has him almost exclusively hunt white supremacists and other types of racist white people.

If you want a spin on the TV crime procedural, check out Hannibal. It starts out as a CSI and slowly morphs into a gay murderer romance where the two leads play cat and mouse. This has them fully abandoning the crime-of-the-week in like season 2. Larry Fishburne and Mads Mikkelsen have a knife fight at the start of a season in a flash forward, so you know they'll be at each other by the end of said season. Quality show, absolutely bonkers.

There are some good parts of season 3, but if the show had gotten canceled after season 2 it would have turned the season 2 finale into one of the wildest series finales of all-time: Hannibal kills basically the entire credited cast and vanishes into the night, going, "I wish you could have loved me, Will."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I have vague memories of watching that on TV when it first came out, I was big into Hellboy at the time so anything with Ron Perlman in it seemed appealing. It was not.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There's a lot of poo poo that devolves into the "gotta keep women in their place" thing. I was going through Malcolm in the Middle about a year ago, a series which generally holds up quite well, but there's one episode which involves Lois getting in a car accident and maintaining that she looked where she was going, it wasn't her fault. A surveillance tape shows her pulling out in front of a guy and getting hit, and it's a huge blow to her self-confidence.

The conclusion of the episode is the reveal of another surveillance tape that shows the guy she got hit by pulled an illegal U-turn into her lane, and the response by this from her family is to immediately destroy the tape because sometimes Lois is too self-righteous for her own good and could stand to be taken down a peg. It's absolutely played as a comedy bit and not horrific gaslighting.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cowslips Warren posted:

Somehow, Palpatine has returned.

It is such an own goal to write the line "Somehow, Palpatine has returned" and put it in your blockbuster movie. The idea's not the best (though you could do something with it), and the execution is poor, but there is a bit of charming brazenness to just bringing him back without really explaining how or why. Which is all immediately undercut by that one little word, "somehow."

I walked into that theater fully expecting TRoS to be bad, and I was still shocked at how lovely of a movie it ended up being.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

NorgLyle posted:

Media that did not age well:

Shia was the best part of that movie (not a hard bar to clear, admittedly) and I'm kind of sad they didn't go in that direction instead of digitally manipulating an octogenarian into further whip shenanigans.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Something Awful Mary is currently in custody awaiting trial after being filmed teabagging the desk of Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) during the January 6th riot.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Probably, they still use their OC yellow peril character The Mandarin.

It was such a clever move in Iron Man 3 to have the Mandarin be a big spooky foreign bad guy (being played by a biracial British actor as a distraction from the actual bad guy). Also said actor is Ben "can play any race" Kingsley.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I remember liking the first Shrek movie well enough and I think I saw the second one on TV at one point. They are extremely "that was ok" movies. I can't really blame them for killing traditional animation since everybody's ditched it at this point, I don't really think it was Shrek's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There's several cases where the herky-jerky style of stop motion is a plus, even: it makes the skeletons' movement look more uncanny, and it makes things like ED-209 or the AT-ATs in ESB look more mechanical.