Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
For the Love of Him by Bobbi Martin

This powerful song about acquiescing to your emotionally manipulative husband's every need at all times and that's all you should think about when you are and when you are not doting on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVL1SvMfxnI

My dad had like this Great Hits of the 60s (or 70s or whatever) and this song was on it. I used to listen to it and I really liked it. When I was in my twenties I downloaded it and actually listened to the lyrics for the first time and haha holy poo poo what a hosed up song.

Here are the lyrics:

When he opens the door
Says, "I'm home"
Be aware of the look in his eyes
They tell you the mood he's in
What kind of day it's been

Chorus:

For the love of him
Make him your reason for living
Give all the love you can give him
All the love you can

There'll be times when he won't say a word
And you wonder if it's something you said
The gentle touch of your hand
Tells him you understand

chorus

Little things he forgets to do
Have you told him today I love you?
When he reaches out be there
Show him that someone cares
He's a man and a man has to try
Let him run, let him fall, let him cry
His world won't fall apart
If you take him into your arms

chorus, chorus, chorus...

credburn has a new favorite as of 01:41 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
The Door Into Summer was the first "grown up" book I ever read and was real special to me and it was increasingly awkward when I re-read it as a teenager and again as an adult.

Asimov was always pretty solid though, right? I think most women in his stories were never very developed, usually just Victims and Wives but at least... I don't remember there being any creepy sex stuff in his books.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
This saddens me a lot :(

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I remember Caves of Steel had this like subplot about the dude's wife being named Jezebel and how he insisted that she's nothing like that and to not worry about her name, but there was some kind of epiphany I never fully understood. Like, she secretly liked her name because of what it suggested? Now I can't remember, and I should look it up instead of making poo poo up from a book I read fifteen years ago.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think it was this very thread that taught me that Arthur C Clarke wasn’t a gay dude who fled the UK like I thought, but a child rapist who was expelled.

God loving dammit

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
As an only child I kind of get the sibling thing, maybe?

I had a friend growing up who had a sister that was two years older than us. As a teenager I used to think, man what a lucky guy who have such a hot sister! I mean, of course he didn't think she was hot. So sure, it's not hard to imagine a fantasy where like, I am adopted into his family and have awesome taboo sex with my new sister. It's not really my thing, but I guess I get it. I'm not attracted to anyone in my family, and there's no fantasy that I can think of that makes actual incest with anyone I know at all appealing.

I don't get why it's such a disproportionately popular thing, though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Crescent Wrench posted:

Oh man. I recently finished a personal project of listening to every number one hit single on the Hot 100, and "Mr. Custer" stands out among the handful of worst songs I heard. Has to be heard to be believed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe0q8Lq3L2Q

This song was on some "Wacky Hits of the 60s" or something that was one of like four CDs I owned as a kid. It's been twenty years since I've heard this.

It's why for years I would shout "kemosabe!" when there might be a conflict of some kind*.

*because, as the song suggest, it's the injun word for friend

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Torquemada posted:

Excuse me this isn’t the things you just figured out thread.

I just enter Post Your Favorite, pick a thread and start postin

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the script felt really stitched together. It felt a bit like at one point it was intended for Munn's character to have a more prominent role with the whole journalism angle, but then at some point Generic McSoldierman was shoved in there as the default lead instead.

"Eat my pussy. Eat my pussy. Eat my pussy. Eat my pussy. Eat my pussy? Eat my pussy?"

You have to try really hard to make a bad Predator movie but by golly they sure nail it each time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

PhazonLink posted:

why watch Prey when you can play Prey?

Prey (2006) was one of the last really good first person shooters that didn't lean so hard into multiplayer, loot crates and other such nonsense. You were a Native American guy with a lighter and your girlfriend gets kidnapped by a UFO and you go gently caress them up. It had an extreme Cronenburg aesthetic to it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Dammit the last Wolfenstein game I played was Return to Castle Wolfenstein and I've been wanting to see what became of ol B.J. Blazkowicz.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Justin Godscock posted:

The Warriors is a lot like Boondock Saints where it's an awesome film if you are a 20-year old male but you watch it ten years later it's just...yeah.

I haven't seen Warriors since I was a teenager but it was one of my favorite films and I used to quote it all the time and now I'm scared of revisiting it :(

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Kchama posted:

No? Plenty of really good first person shooters afterwards didn't do any of that.

I think it was the last one, bucko.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Rapper's Delight has an entire verse that's all about being afraid you're going to offend your buddy by not eating his mom's yucky food, and it was poo poo like this that terrified WASPs across the United States

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Thomamelas posted:

I follow him on twitter and that fact makes following his twitter amazing. Every week some boomer assumes he is pro-cop because he plays one on TV. Then he corrects them and explains in a very Ice-T way that as an actor he takes paying gigs. Then he explains that he still feels the same way about cops as he did when he made Cop Killer.

I mean, it's one thing to play the role of a cop for money, but when you do it for a decade on a show that deepthroats the police* for forty-seven minutes I think people are right to suggest some flaws in the man's philosophical stance.

*I mean like as a synecdoche, if that wasn't clear

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Wuthering Heights posted:

Catherine surveyed him with grief and astonishment: she changed the ejaculation of joy on her lips to one of alarm; and the congratulation on their long-postponed meeting to an anxious inquiry, whether he were worse than usual?

I swear there's some line in there that talks about the dog ejaculating, too. There's at least three different ejaculations in that book. I remember because I was in my 20s when I read it and huh huh huh

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The Fifty Shades of Grey books have more use of the word "crap" and its derivatives than any other book published. I've not heard a person say "crap" like that since I was a kid, and the first or second time she used it in the book it stood out. She goes on to use it... hang on, I actually wrote this down while reading them ten years ago.

Fifty Shades of Grey:
Crap: 39
Double Crap: 7
Triple-Crap: 1
Holy Crap: 40
Crapola: 1

89 craps

Fifty Shades Darker:
Crap: 26
Double Crap: 1
Holy Crap: 2

29 craps

Fifty Shades Freed:

Crap: 24
Double Crap: 1
Holy Crap: 19
Holy loving Crap: 1

45 craps

Total: 163 craps. 1 crap every 9.97 pages.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Adverbs significantly improve every sentence and should be used profusely.

This statement makes me so angrily mad.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

AFewBricksShy posted:

The guy from Mash wasn't an alcoholic as far as I know, he just beat the poo poo out of his wife.

God loving dammit

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Interesting bit of trivia: Philip K. Dick was actually Winona Ryder's family friend.

Mel Gibson referred to her once as an "oven dodger."

Mel Gibson is back in movies!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Maverick was the primary reason I stopped enjoying Mel Gibson.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

IshmaelZarkov posted:

All this Mel Gibson talk means I am obliged to post this video. It is twenty minutes of your life you will not regret losing. It may be my favourite video on YouTube, and I've seen like eight or nine YouTube videos.

https://youtu.be/2UoHb0ziMDA

This is so beautiful. This might be the first video on YouTube I've ever seen all the way through.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I loved everything about The Real Ghostbusters except Egon's loving hair. I hate hate hated it as a kid. It made me want to turn the channel.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
My favorite Motörhead trivia is that because the song Motorhead was written while Lemmy was still in Hawkwind, Motörhead could not release the single Motorhead until Hawkwind did first.

\/\/ fixed, thanks. Actually, after looking it up I found the song is just called Motorhead in either band \/\/

credburn has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Oct 30, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Motorhead the song has parallelogram as part of its lyrics, which makes it better than 99% of songs ever released.

Surpassed only recently by Cardi B's masterful "punani Dasani"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
AC/D-who??

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The plot twist in Bioshock was fine, but its reveal was so loving dumb. Oh look, it's just a loving room with poo poo on the walls that tell you what the plot twist is.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Wanting to have a good time is a gateway drug.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This one's even more aged. Operator? What's that?

That part where he whimpers "...you can keep the dime" always made me confused. Is he calling from a payphone? This song is from 1972; more people had landlines then than indoor plumbing.

Haha but having worked customer service, I can just imagine this from the operator's point of view. This guy wanting to make a call but uhhh he can't read the fuckin number and hey, let me tell you, I once had this friend Ray...

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

Really? How SHOULD wallpaper move? :v:

The Yellow Wallpaper posted:

There is a recurrent spot where the.
pattern lolls like a broken neck and two
bulbous eyes stare at you upside down.
I get positively angry with the impertinence
of it and the everlastingness. Up
and down and sideways they crawl, and
those absurd, unblinking eyes are every
where. There is one place where two
breaths didn't match, and the eyes go all
up and down the line, one a little higher
than the other.

Well, not like that, either.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

Doing a rewatch of The Venture Bros and oof, early seasons sure do like to call things/people "retard" and "gay"

That was a thing we said all the time like when we were kids. Then I went through a twenty year period where I didn't really hear it. Now when I hear it, it's usually coming from grown rear end men and I can't help but find it extremely funny. I feel like I should be offended but I'm just perplexed. It's akin to an adult telling another adult "I know you are but what am I?" with all seriousness.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I occasionally (though very rarely now) wear glasses with non-corrective lenses. I've never known anyone else to do this, and I go through some effort to hide the fact that these glasses are fake. I don't want to lie, I just look pretty good and a lot smarter in glasses :shrug:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Icon Of Sin posted:

And with this:

Another Adam Sandler movie disappears into the ether.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_(2006_film)

Not that it was ever good, but the premise was that Sandler’s character bought a universal remote in the Beyond section (from Christopher Walken!) that controlled time itself.

I was just thinking, was this where Adam Sandler bought that remote in that one movie that made me cry

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Not enough Beavis and Butthead skins

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Desert Bus posted:

You KNOW that cake is Vegan and probably terrible too.

The cake is undoubtedly vegan but you can make delicious vegan cakes now. The "vegan food tastes bland" thing hasn't been relevant since the 90s.

Gluten free food can go to chewy cardboard hell, though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Desert Bus posted:

In the past 19 years I have managed to create two forum legacies. The first is equating UitM to Moby, the second is making sure everyone knows sucking your own dick is more like sucking dick than having your dick sucked. Which one would you lean into???

I had a girlfriend who loved to see me do this. I never understood why I didn't like sucking my own dick, because I do like having my dick sucked, and also I like sucking dick. It was like it canceled each other out. But girlfriend thought it was hot so

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Shiroc posted:

Urkeling is the one for when a person tries to just wear someone who has very clearly expressed disinterest down until they give in

Urkel was a Texas Chainsaw Massacrer

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Feeling disenchanted about Disenchantment.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I AM GRANDO posted:

Eli Roth wrote and directed Knock Knock, which presents itself as a self-aware pastiche of this kind of movie, where dangerous teenagers seduce a family man into loving them, and one of the teenagers is played by Eli Roth’s wife, who is 20 years younger than him.

Knock-Knock has my second favorite Keanu Reeves monologue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLgGT18KUzE

IT WAS FREE PIZZA
FREE FUCKIN PIZZA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
WTF there was a murder in Knock-Knock?!

I totally thought they were just loving with him just to gently caress with him. I totally missed an actual motive.