Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Mister Kingdom posted:

Roger and his mother won the lottery. Connie lost a lot of weight, too

Yeah, well, Disney wasn’t about to have poor or overweight people on their show.

Frankly I’m amazed they didn’t give Patti’s Dad bionic legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Volcott posted:

Why didn't they just shoot Carmen Sandiego?

Because they’re ACME Detective Agency. Extrajudicial killing is SEA PATROL’s jurisdiction, and while Carmen Sandiego may be many things, a goddamn scoobydoo isn’t one of them.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

:wtf:

I thought it was a spin off of Full House.

There was a crossover episode where Urkel showed up to harass the Tanner family. He was a cousin of one of the very few recurring black characters on the show, of course.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Samuringa posted:

Interesting how that was a pretty isolated event

As I remember it (I last watched the series in 2010, so I have no idea how much of it might be cringeworthy now), it actually presented a fairly positive view of Christianity, all things considered. Maybe “lower-case christianity,” almost.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Rirse posted:

I never seen them, but on itunes they have the complete series for Chuck for $20 and Dead Like Me for $9. Were those two shows still fun to watch for someone who never seen them before, or they have some creepy thing that ruins them?

Ignoring that Adam Baldwin is...problematic...Chuck’s titular character is basically a Nice Guy / White Knight, and the show eventually rewards that with romantic attention, which is probably the wrong message to send for that show’s core audience.

I enjoyed it, but it’s not something I’d ever rewatch because I know I’d just be disappointed.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Danaru posted:

There was an episode of Voyager where Seven thinks a guy medically experimented on her while she was under anesthesia, and when accused, the guy flips poo poo and flies away as fast as possible, then dies because he pushed his warp engine too hard and it exploded.

Then it turns out she dreamt it and it was her memory of getting Borg'd, and the moral of the episode seems to be "if you think you were taken advantage of, maybe you just dreamt it and your false accusation will kill an innocent man!" and I had to immediately go online to see if I had missed something or if that actually loving happened.

There is a lot of Voyager and Enterprise that has aged poorly.

Enterprise has a Vulcan basically force a mind meld on another Vulcan (a woman), then lets the guy go, and it turns out later that this gave her space HIV thanks to a cross-promotional HIV awareness package the network forced on their shows.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Rocko hasn't aged well in the sense that it's 90's as gently caress and it shows.

It’s true - only 90s cartoons would do something like Wacky Delly.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Tiggum posted:

I'd watch a Dr Pulaski show. I'm thinking something like House MD but in space.

We’ve had sci-fi legal drama in the short-lived Century City.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Samuringa posted:

TV Episodes that did not age well even though they were never made

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1168946819268845575

quote:

Bastards was set to star Gere as one of two elderly Vietnam veterans and best friends who find their monotonous lives upended when a woman they both loved 50 years ago is killed by a car. Their lifelong regrets and secrets collide with their resentment of today's self-absorbed millennials, and the duo then go on a shooting spree.

I like how this is written like the car went all Christine and murdered her, instead of what it probably was - some millennial on his cell phone (a Samsung Galaxy, I’m sure) running her down.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
El Aurians also seem to be perceptive to how reality works in general - Guinan notes the changes to the timeline in Yesterday’s Enterprise, and could communicate through the Nexus to Picard in Generations.

They may also possess some level of empathic or telepathic skill - Soran’s barb to Picard in Generations of “Time is the fire in which we burn” seems especially sharp since Picard’s brother and his family had just died in a house fire. An El Aurian also showed up as a con man on DS9, aides by a device that he had acquired that could manipulate probability.

Both skills would probably make the Q a little wary, since the El Aurians would be particularly good at seeing through their bullshit.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Volcott posted:

They were luddites and probably thought smoke detectors were space traveller bullshit.

Basically this. Picard’s older brother had a huge chip on his shoulder about Picard gallivanting around in space instead of staying at the vineyard. The episode even featured them reminiscing about it being a big todo when a replicator was installed, IIRC.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

hard counter posted:

what are droids in this analogy :smith:

“Goodness, Captain Solo! It is I, Sea Threpio. You probably don’t recognize me because of the red peg leg.”

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gaunab posted:

A commercial for Friends reminded me of a time when big name actors would guest star on sitcoms and it wouldn't be considered slumming it.

Might be apocryphal, but I recall hearing that the reason Bruce Willis appeared on Friends was because he lost a bet to Matthew Perry wherein Bruce bet against his own movie doing well.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Krispy Wafer posted:

To be fair it was a Matthew Perry movie that just happened to have Bruce Willis in it. If I was Bruce, I’d have bet against it too.

I don’t know, this terribly photoshopped poster makes it look like a Bruce Willis movie to me.

(Yes, I recall that Perry plays the main character in the film, but somehow I’m guessing Willis’ presence was the key to the movie’s success)

Blue Moonlight has a new favorite as of 18:12 on Sep 14, 2019

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Krispy Wafer posted:

Craig's Bond movies have spoiled everyone again into thinking a franchise with a nuclear scientist named Christmas is supposed to make sense.

Don’t forget that she’s named Christmas solely so Bond can make a joke about Christmas only coming once a year.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

mllaneza posted:

So if The Orville comes of as very Trek-ish, it's intentional and also an inevitable byproduct of the people making it...Alara's visit home is one of the very best of the series...
One of the Alara episodes (I think that one) featured the doctor from Voyager getting ambushed by the doctor from Enterprise.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I’m quarantining myself and have been catching up on shows. There is one called Supermat Stake-out where, as people are leaving the grocery store, people from the show run up and with ungloved hands rummage through their shopping bags to find ingredients to cook with.

I’m pretty sure they would get shot if they tried that this week.

The US has a similar show (probably adapted or ripped off from this one). I think they ask for specific items or offer to buy the whole cart in ours.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
When Fellowship hit theaters, I had a friend who was pissed they didn’t include Tom Bombadil.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There was a guy at my last job who heard about dollfuckers and it was blowing his mind. I thought it was kind of nice to run into that again. I’m so desensitized now that it takes some truly horrific poo poo to get a response out of me besides amusement.

I recall the disbelief my parents had after seeing an episode of CSI about furries, their incredulity when I told them that was indeed “a thing,” and their disappointment when I had to explain that I knew this because of “the Internet” because that was easier than explaining Something Awful at age 17.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
It seems like if Magneto gave a poo poo at all he would have shown up and held the steel in the towers together.

Unless jet fuel didn’t melt the steel beams :tinfoil:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
TV episodes that did not age well: Magic The Gathering Online Exchange

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Mister No posted:

who else but Spacey? it isn't Ansel is it?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I object that Kevin Spacey isn't also labeled rapist pedo.

Oversights like this are why Wikipedia is unsuitable for citation in academia.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Push El Burrito posted:

His brother got all the fashion sense in the family though.

PHUO: The failure to implement this costume is the reason why the Inhumans TV series failed, not because it was an obvious attempt by Marvel to work around not having the TV/film rights to X-Men.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I’d like to take a moment to point out the insane dissonance of this magazine cover. We have articles about :

• One of the greatest atrocities of the Iraq War.
  • A decorated actor discussing a decorated actor.
  • Getting horny over barely-legal teens.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Torquemada posted:

Hmm, 9/11 happened around the middle of the show, did they ever even say anything about it, even tangentially?

oldpainless posted:

Why would friends care about 9/11 when the real important stuff like phoebes wedding was happening

The creators apparently considered making more explicit reference to it, but decided that “Friends” wasn’t the appropriate vehicle to discuss such a serious topic, which was probably the right call. Otherwise, the thread title would be Media that did not age well: Friends 8x03: The One On 9/11.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Janice falls from the WTC, yelling “Oh! My! Gawdd!” all the way down.

I am going to hell.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

muscles like this! posted:

To be fair, the revival was one of those bullshit provider specific channels so it isn't too weird that people don't even know it happened.

I had heard it was going to happen, I had no idea that it did already.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I remember watching Rugrats with a bunch of my adult family in the room and the whole adult group cracking up at something I didn't understand. I wish I could remember what the joke was.

One of my favorite Rugrats references I appreciate as an adult and parent far more than as a kid is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvdBrF5qaww

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Our playground was all kinds of unsafe, from the flip bar that I busted my mouth on, to the tractor tires that attracted mosquitoes after a rain. Two tetherball poles went up on the third grade recess area and the teachers had to institute regulations because it was so popular.

Our elementary school had a set of parallel bars (though they were pipes suspended between wood posts, so not exactly like these)

The only problem was that there were a ton of girls (I don’t ever remember boys doing it) that loved to do what the first kid does in this GIF on them:

And that worked OK when you were in third grade or whatever. But girls would come back to fifth grade after a growth spurt during summer, try this, and clock themselves.

Finally, one year, a girl did it and didn’t just catch the top of her head - she smashed her mouth right in to the opposing bar, busted up a ton of teeth, and broke her jaw. One of the bars was promptly removed, and the other didn’t survive the year, because kids were still duplicating the second kid from that GIF all the time.

We also had the tractor tires - it was great fun to pop an umbrella over the top and hang out in them in a rainy recess, or to use them as the base for crappy kid igloos when it snowed.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I'm currently going through all the Star Trek shows I haven't seen before and just moved on to Voyager. I sat through the first episode and was pretty surprised at Tom Paris, ostensibly one of the main protagonists and heroes of the show, telling the series' first Native American character (AFAIK) "If I save your butt, your life belongs to me. Isn't that some kind of Indian custom?" and "Isn't there some Indian trick where you can turn yourself into a bird and fly us out of here?" This stuff is especially weird since its...Star Trek, which is normally pretty progressive for its time.

This was back in '94, I feel like people knew better back then, but I'm curious what the general reaction to this was. If the weird, casual racism continues I might just skip this and go on to Enterprise or something. I did hear something about them using a native-american culture consultant who was a known fraud so maybe it just gets worse.

Over in the PYF Unnerving Story thread, a goon has been posting their YouTube docuseries, and covered Jamake Highwater in a fairly comprehensive manner rather than the bits and pieces scattered around elsewhere:

The Golden Gael posted:

If folks are interested, I wrapped up my research into one Jamake Highwater - better known as the Star Trek Voyager consultant on Native American affairs - and it was pretty illuminating how this guy got away with playing his part for so long. Details and sources contradicted each other but thanks to a bit of detective work and a few phone calls I mustered up as many facts as I could to put this together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmUTIp9BOs

TL;DW: it’s one of Rick Berman’s many, many fuckups.

Edit: to answer your question about whether or not it continues to be this offensive, the show’s treatment falls back from “this was blatantly racist even for 1995” to kind of the handwavey-mysticism generic “Native American” interpretation that, true to form for the thread, did not age well.

Blue Moonlight has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Sep 7, 2020

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

pentyne posted:

In Rick Berman,s defense, he's directly responsible for Obama getting elected I think.

(the thing with Jeri Ryan and how her sex club reveals ended the chances of the republican candidate primed to win, her husband, who was going up against a neophyte Obama)

Somehow I knew that Brannon Braga had inexplicably convinced Jeri Ryan to date him following her divorce, but had missed this.

I’m not sure I can sanely reconcile Rick Berman and Brannon Braga’s role in Obama’s eventual presidency.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

See, this is a valuable life lesson Tiny Toons was teaching us all. You can be known well enough for panhandling and tax avoidance to be a punchline in a 1992 children’s cartoon, but still go on to be the President of the United States of America.

The American Dream, ladies and gentlemen.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sarcopenia posted:

So eh, I just saw the first episode of the two parter season premiere in what I think will be the last season of SVU...

Yeah, you’d think that, but they already have orders for another two seasons.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Well, I think I’ve finally found the best argument against Showtime’s continued existence.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

catlord posted:

Weren't there a lot of weird shenanigans around getting the E/I label onto shows that probably shouldn't have had them?

In 1995 (first thing I could find on the topic), the FCC defined E/I programming as “programming that furthers the positive development of children 16 years of age and under in any respect, including the child's intellectual/cognitive or social/emotional needs.”

So if your Sherlock Holmes in space show regularly had a message like “being a friend is good” or “stealing is bad”, you could probably get away with claiming it’s E/I programming. It didn’t have to be Mr. Wizard or something.

Frankly, I’m amazed they didn’t syndicate GI Joe with the PSAs edited in and claim them to fulfill E/I requirements.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

londonarbuckle posted:

I think it was only a decade ago or less I saw a local station slapping the E/I symbol on loving Saved By The Bell reruns.

Tell me you didn’t learn about the dangers of caffeine!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Nottherealaborn posted:

Wholesome? Those shows are peak celebrity tv cringe

For the American version at least, if not wholesome, then perhaps inoffensive? It’s like the lettuce of television.

If you compare it to a lot of other “celebrity judging” shows, the judges are always positive and encouraging, contestants aren’t on the show because they’re objectively awful, the “drama” is all playfully manufactured ribbing. The edgiest person to ever even judge there is Joel McHale, the guy E! used to pay to make fun of E!.

The most unforgivable thing about the show is that it gives a mouthpiece to Jenny McCarthy, but I think she and the producers know the gravy train will be over the moment she starts spouting off about vaccines.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

WaywardWoodwose posted:

That was the dress uniform. Picard sometimes had to wear them to "fancy" space parties.

No, that’s the “skant” uniform. The TNG era dress uniform was similarly...dresslike? But not a skirt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

oldpainless posted:

Can you imagine if the enterprise had these air vents in the floor and Picard walks over one and his skirt blows up and his old man dick and balls get shown to the ambassadors of some species lmao

Showing your junk to some rando aliens is called the Riker Maneuver.