Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I have a specific question on lacerate actually - I generally do a life-based 2h lacerate slayer for early, cheap uber lab farming, but I do resolute technique and use Kondo's to keep it super cheap. Is there any straightforward way to covert to a crit build so it can scale higher without a shaper weapon? Or will this require buying an expensive rare foil(?) and stacking accuracy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I figured as much but thought I would ask, thanks!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I started making significantly more money trading once I stopped doing the chaos recipe. Like two orders of magnitude more. And I'm pretty bad at trading.

I guess if you're still on the default 4 non-premium stash tabs it might be worth your time.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Does Flicker Strike hold up through high tier content?

I played it to a fairly high level a few leagues ago, on SC, of course. It lost a bit of power at high level - I ran a warchief totem as well so I could kill things I couldn't get near safely. Flicker with Oro's was unusable against end-game bosses since they were all ignite immune, but I believe they've removed that now. As to whether it would be a good idea to use that ability against them... probably not, I did just explode sometimes. It was a fun build, though I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a high refresh rate - I have a 144hz monitor and could just barely keep up.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Char posted:

Has anyone any experience with Essence Drain? I just read the description and I might want to go ED-Contagion (Trickster? Occultist?), but sifting through the PoE official forums is not exactly easy for a noob and I don't get if it can be a functional build or not. Mind that I don't have the slightest idea on how the economy works and I wouldn't mind going SSF.

Just to reiterate for the newbies playing this league: SSF is basically a challenge mode for people who are very knowledgeable about the game. Not trading, even if it's just buying a few cheap items, makes your life significantly harder and some builds basically impossible. If you're new it's a pretty terrible idea. Fortunately you can leave it and join the regular harbinger leagues at will so it's not the end of the world if you started not realising that.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Char posted:

Yeah, it's just that the economy is another system that needs to be learned. I have 2 chaos orbs now, and I don't know what should I do with them - that's why I'd like to use a SSF-functional build.

I doubt anyone playing this game has a full grasp of the economy. You don't need to understand anything about it to use poe.trade, use the filters to locate an item you want at a price you're willing to pay, and copy the provided whisper into chat.

You might not buy the most optimal items, but it's way easier to buy items than to craft/find them yourself. Granted, selling can get complex, but honestly the only way you learn that is by jumping in and making some mistakes.

Going for a build that doesn't need super specific items as your first is a good plan, however, and I believe ED is pretty good for that.

My comment wasn't only directed at you, it's quite common new guys post about how they're going to play super-challenge mode or just avoid trading because they think it will be easier. It is not.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

nerox posted:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, I am still pretty new at POE too.

You're mostly right. More specifically they killed leeching ES builds, and decreased the max ES you can stack on gear a little. There are ES/CI builds that don't rely on leech and those should still work. Certainly most of the overpowered meta builds of previous leagues were leeching ES builds.

They also added new hybrid life mods on gear so life effectively becomes relatively stronger.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

When it comes to maxing out quality on skill gems, is there any real reason to burn 20 gemcutter's prisms individually upping a given skill's quality over just trading the gem at max level and a prism for a level 1 max quality gem?

Also you can just buy 20 quality gems from players if you don't want to level them twice. They're always going to be cheaper than spending 20 gcps on a quality 0 gem. Anything else doesn't make economic sense.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Raged posted:

Edit: what is the highest % movement speed you can get. Currently getting +35% when at full health.

Extremely fast, almost unplayably so. My cheap lab runner has +64% without flask, and is very slow compared to videos I've seen from builds designed to farm the daily gems.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You can get fast enough that it's literally unplayable (server boots you).

That's concerning - any idea what the threshold is? I've been unexpectedly disconnected while under the effect of acceleration shrines a few times. I've lost like 4 offerings to disconnects already this league.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

How does one normally get one of the masters to level 3? They only seem to show up in specific acts and once I've completed it I pretty much don't go back. Am I supposed to backtrack and look for them until I do enough stuff for them to level up to 3?

That's one option - the other is to tag along with someone on their daily mission. A higher level daily should immediately grant level 4-5 to an unlevelled master, I'd imagine.

e: also, no reason to backtrack - masters appear in certain acts or later, so any can spawn in maps/higher level areas.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Generally there are going to be a lot of abilities you just need to dodge, but obviously better defences and higher dps is going to help with that. Fast movement abilities (whirling blades/leap slam linked with faster attacks and probably fortify) are almost required, but I'd expect you probably have one of those in your build already.

Myself I find it's largely a matter of getting used to the bosses and things which originally seemed hard become easy. Some builds will always have trouble with some bosses/mods of course.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Minrad posted:

diablo 3 already showed us what happens when you make it incredibly easy to list, search, and purchase items via ingame methods, so i imagine as long as it just barely works GGG is willing and even encouraged to do absolutely nothing about it in the mean time

No Diablo 3 shows us what happens when you make a mechanically shallow game with terminally low drop rates and RMT then don't support it.

They removed the AH and guess what? It's still a shallow, uninteresting game.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Minrad posted:

obviously, he was just talking about the dangers of capitalism and not uh, the only other diablo game on the market that had an auction house.

Look, ggg have done some great stuff with path, but that does not mean they are infallible. See for example the new player experience, harbinger league, or the clusterfuck that is trading.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Minrad posted:

it becomes easier for bots to just start buying up items or selling them, items would more frequently be sold out when you go to buy them but it's not like this isn't already a problem

Would it really make life easier for bots? I'm pretty sure I could put a bot together in ahk that would be indistinguishable from 99% of the people I trade with. Maybe they're bots already, who would know?

Also, if the indexer wasn't third party it would (mostly) solve the issue of items being sold when you tried to buy them, even without afk player shops.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There's nothing wrong in getting scammed

:lol:

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

As long as they're linked that's what counts. Also when you link a support to a usable skill a tiny marker will show up on the skill's icon in the toolbar. That's how you can check to make sure its working.

You can also hover over a socketted gem and it will highlight other gems in the item it's currently linked to.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Prophecy120 posted:

Just started playing PoE this week and I am amazed at how many people I see running around with the $480 armor and forums titles. Good on GGG I suppose if they have the hardcore following willing to spend that much on a game. They got $10 out of me for the currency tab, and I can't really see any reason to spend more than that, but to each their own.

I've played this game for thousands of hours over several years. I'm more than happy to pick up a supporter pack now and again. I've probably given them around £150 by now and think it's not only well worth it, but very cheap entertainment compared to almost anything else I spend money on.

Plus I get to play dress up.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Zenithe posted:

This game has some wild latency right now, and I never used to have any issues. It spikes every couple of seconds from 50, which is where it is when it's normal and for other games, but spikes to a couple of hundred so often it's basically unplayable.

I've looked at the official forums and a lot of people have a similar problem but there doesn't seem to be a fix. Anyone else having this issue or know a fix?

Try a different gateway. A friend was having issues in some instances on Amsterdam, switched to London and everything seems fine.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is it worth getting the silver chests in uber labyrinth? hardly seems worth the time investment unless you get a really good gem chest or currency chest but it's usually a couple rares with few actually worth picking up.

I haven't run a lot of lab this league, but my experience was that they seem of similar value to the end chests. When I've been running lab I've always skipped them in the past, unless they contained treasure keys. This league I've been doing pretty much everything available in the lab and it's seemed to pay off.

Makes the runs take significantly longer though, which I'm not a fan of.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

While I'm talking about it, do fated uniques like Doomfletch reroll completely when they're upgraded, or do they keep their sockets and unchanged affixes? I was thinking it might be more economical to get a reasonably good Doomfletch, 5L it, then upgrade that.

The sockets and mods that exist on the un-upgraded version stay the same once upgraded. I did exactly as you suggest and it saved me a few chaos.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

McFrugal posted:

So uh, I've never used Blade Flurry, is there some drawback to the crazy damage it puts out? Is there a windup like with channeled spells?

Blade flurry is not like channelled skills, it is channelled. It's kinda awkward to use optimally since you have to stand in one spot channelling to max then release. Or in more subjective terms, it feels like rear end. It is good damage though.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

PotatoManJack posted:

I had meant that originally Jungle Valley could only drop Tier 1 Maps, and Beach Maps, and was wondering if that changes with shaper orbs

That isn't quite true by the way. Assuming you have some unlocked, magic mobs can drop T2, rare/unique mobs can drop T3 in unshaped Jungle Valley. Just like all other dropped loot.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Hamburger Test posted:

Rares do not drop +2, that was changed a while ago - I am not sure about other unique mobs, but I don't think anything but the boss(es) can drop +2.

Oh really? I missed that patch note, and the wiki is wrong.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Hamburger Test posted:

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Map

Maybe there's another page that wasn't updated?

Yup: https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Monster_level

Not like it's surprising a wiki is inaccurate :)

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Ugh, why would they do that? Was it really so game breaking occasionally getting one map level higher that they had to decouple map drops from literally everything else that drops? Sometimes they make some really bizarre decisions.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Hamburger Test posted:

Not really no, the problem they were trying to address was that like now, a lot of bosses were skipped entirely pre 2.0 and with no Atlas bonus and fewer drops there was very little reason to do them at all especially since they were a lot more dangerous at the time - this was well before Ascendancy.

I would argue, with the benefit of hindsight, that was utterly ineffective and just added another obtuse inconsistency to the game. I mean, it doesn't make the game bad or anything, but it was a dumb change.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

if you do enough damage you don't even have to learn how her mechanics work

I mean it's not a particularly complex fight. Don't stand in the glowing red circles, don't attack the clone with a mirror. That's pretty much it.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Doomfletch Prism barrage/other is really strong. Needs about 100c to get started, but you can easily spend 2000+c scaling up.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

TheRat posted:

LeapslamEvery single movement skill needs to be shift-attacked to not feel awful

Generally there are 4 things I want out of a movement skill - going fast, dodging one-shots, bypassing walls/holes and triggering fortify. For me, leap slam with very high attack speed is great for all 4, but that requires a certain type of build. Shield charge is great for going fast and triggering fortify, but requires a secondary movement skill to bypass scenery and isn't quite fast enough without significant support (imo) to dodge attacks. Still, I like shield charge enough that I shoehorn a shield into some builds. Level 1 flame dash is great because you can throw it on literally any character without support and it's fast enough to dodge attacks and lets you bypass scenery, but it sucks for going fast due to charges and can't proc fortify. I often use it as a secondary movement skill paired with shield charge. Lightning warp has some marginal gimmick use in that it's so drat slow you can cast it then open a strongbox in complete safety.

gently caress whirling blades. It's horrible to use - it's got that awful delay at the end where you just kinda stand there not doing poo poo, it has a minimum distance, doesn't go very far and most importantly, fails if there's so much as a small pebble between you and your target location. It can be supported to the point it's a decent go-fast skill, I suppose, but that requires heavy investment in my experience. This skill was super popular a couple of leagues ago and I've never understood why. I hate playing builds where this is the obvious movement skill choice.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

A. What's the ranking of best movement skills? I'm a two-handed slayer, for what that matters.

Leap slam, no question. You should have enough attack speed that it's super fast, so ticks all the boxes. If you weren't a slayer it might be dangerous jumping over traps, but slayers get bleed immunity.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

I can sympathize on the notion of not wanting to follow a guide in a game like this. I appreciate advice on things like "get more health" or "cap resists", stuff like that, but having a linear path feels bad, especially with something as wide open as the passive grid.

You can absolutely come up with your own builds in this game, but unless you want to level 10-100 characters before you hit on something viable, you really need to use something like path of building to plan it out. And not just planning your tree, but also your gem setups and gear you can realistically acquire.

It is possible, to some extent, for experienced players who already know approximately how a build works to just wing it, but this really requires a huge amount of knowledge and awareness of your power level versus the content you're doing.

For me, a relatively bad player that has been playing for a few years, I can fairly competently tweak a build I'm not familiar with to my preferences, or come up with my own that is somewhat similar to one I have played before, but only by spending a good few hours on path of building and researching available uniques, etc.

If you're new I'd suggest following a few guides, not necessarily to the letter, of wildly different playstyles to learn how they work and how far you can take them (on an achievable budget). Once you've done that, try putting something together yourself, but don't be afraid to check out similar build guides for ideas.

Or, you know, keep banging your head against that brick wall if that's what you enjoy. Just know what you're getting into.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Dream Attack posted:

I really don't get the complaints about PoE's calculations, the developers spend a lot of time specifically wording things and as a result you can tell exactly what an increase/decrease will do - as long as you understand the terminology.

You should watch this video:

The complaint for me is that the game teaches you a load of rules (well, wikis, etc. do) and then sometimes it arbitrarily breaks them. I have no problem with complexity, that's what keeps me playing the game, but some poo poo in the game is just inexcusably obtuse. If it was internally consistent it could retain the complexity without the current reliance on random bits of arcane knowledge. Honestly there isn't even that much of it, which makes it all the more confusing when you come across an instance.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Awesome! posted:

for some reason i cant ctrl-v in path of building anymore. works everywhere else on my computer.

The import UI in path of building is needlessly confusing. You can't paste a pastebin link into the import textbox, you need to click the import from pastebin button first. That pops up a dialog with a new textbox in it that you can paste pastebin links into.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Ultima66 posted:

E: Somewhat related my graphics used to just start exploding in rainbow colors after killing Izaro sometimes, which suggests that the GPU was dying, but I've never had any GPU issues outside of the lab and outside of specifically the rainbow color explosions after killing Izaro, which suggests to me more than lab is completely hosed up in some way more than anything else. I know lots of people crash a shitload in lab and never anywhere else.

I've had that bug across two different graphics cards, I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware problem. Seems to have stopped in a recent patch (or possibly driver update).

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

pokchu posted:

I've always thought they should have Descent Champions as an always available "arcade mode" with weekly/monthly leaderboards.

I would pay money for this feature.

I would play the poo poo out of this.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Lab running tends to be more profitable early in a league, but yeah, if you can quickly and reliably run higher end content obviously that's going to make way more money on average.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

TheRat posted:

Since he didn't talk about flame dash I can mention that shift-attacking gives you slightly greater range. This sometimes lets you cross gaps that you can't cross without shift-attacking (most obvious examples are the act 2 broken bridges).

The same is true of leap slam, but then I can't think of any skill in the game that doesn't work slightly better with shift held. I even do it for namelocking attacks most of the time.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

shift click doesnt work for golem skills

its a pain when all your buttons are taken up by active skills, and you put golem on your left click, and when you num lock attack in place, it means you can no longer move with left click

Ha, didn't think of that. They really should add an option to invert the shift behaviour. Not that I could use it, holding shift half the time is ingrained in my muscle memory at this point.

I usually stack all auras on a single button, then reassign it to golem once they're cast.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

silvergoose posted:

For abyss I'm going to want something tanky, because my worst problem every character I play is getting one shot by bosses and it's annoying.

I've found that, unless you mean random little hits are killing you from full life, this is far more often a problem with playstyle than gear/build. Path is pretty heavy in mechanics you have to dodge, even if you have >15k effective life (thanks Vaal Pact, won't miss you). Still, playing traps or mines might help you with that since you can't use leech as a crutch.

..btt fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

I wish there was a better movement skill option for Sunder than Leap Slam.

Leap slam is one of my favourite movement skills for melee attack based characters but there are alternatives like using a sword in your offhand for whirling blades, e.g. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2012699. Don't know if that build is any good though. You could probably do lycosidae or something too and use shield charge, though I've not seen any sunder builds like that.