Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I'm totally new to this game and just finished act 1. I decided to go with a blade vortex assassin build using the Path of Building app because it seems beginner-friendly and I like playing the thief archetype. My guy is level 17 and I've mostly just been scavenging stuff off the ground and replacing what I'm wearing if it's better. I haven't crafted anything at all. I seem to be doing alright building a stable of resist gear for bosses etc and my damage appears to mostly come from ethereal knives/pierce support for regular trash enemies and stacks of blade vortex/withering step against bosses which seems to just absolutely annihilate most things I run up against (the siren lady took a minute or two and it feels suspiciously like being a hammerdin in D2).

What else should I be doing? I haven't messed with those crucible totem things much at all because they spawn angry stuff and neither of my weapons are really worth upgrading at the moment (dual wield knife/rapier). Should I be crafting gear aside from trading for resist rings I need?

E: I also found my first "bright orange" item a bit ago and I'm not sure if I should sell it or keep it. Some screaming eagle axe? I don't think my character can really use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

whypick1 posted:

Can you link the guide? We can tell you if it sucks, because there are plenty of guides out there that are bait.

Sure. If it's bait, someone put a hell of a lot of time and effort into it:
https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/poison-blade-vortex-assassin-build-guide

quote:

If you just finished A1 you're not really in the position to start crafting. A3/A4 is probably where you'll start using the Crafting Bench (unlocked in A2) in earnest, as you might actually have the currency to use it.

Ok. I'll hold off then.

quote:

Do you have any source of chaos damage or poison? If not, your Withering step isn't actually increasing damage that monsters take.
Yes and yes (passive skill tree + viper strike). See build info. Previous attack pattern was sniper's mark --> dash --> viper strike --> dash --> pelt with blades and reapply poison as needed. I got a blade vortex gem for finishing the wrecked shipyard quest so now it goes withering step --> viper strike, bladevortexbladevortexbladevortexbladevortex using ethereal knives when I have to back of but apply energy shield pressure.

quote:

There can be benefits to using Crucible while leveling, especially because they just patched the game to mostly eliminate the mods that brick items and made the UI a bit easier to use (supposedly, haven't touched it yet), but skipping it isn't going to gimp your character.

I'm getting a little more confident now. In the beginning, I was insanely squishy and a champion version of one of those shrimp/horse things nearly one-shotted me. I may revisit now that I have higher evasion and more life. I just am not sure what the point is.

quote:

Most uniques in the game are trash. That one at least has a movespeed modifier on it, so it's a bit of twink-leveling item.

I'll toss it in my stash then. Thanks

quote:

If you haven't, get an item filter. The most popular one is Filterblade. Just the default settings would be a marked improvement over the game's default filter of "none" and will generally highlight stuff that's actually valuable either for you or for trade.

Will do.

Anyway thanks for the input. This is all somewhat new to me although a lot of it feels awfully familiar thanks to D2. Not so much D3.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about anything this early on. As you move up in levels keep looking for items with more links in colors you need. It won't seem like it beforehand but the difference between a 2, 3, and 4 link skill is massive. Generally Life > Resists > Damage on gear, most of your damage will come from links and gem levels while leveling.

This is also good to know. I was priortizing gear with more beneficial effects (life regen, +life especially) over green-green or green-blue linked gear because I was so fragile in the beginning - which is something of a problem now because I have skills I can't use. Is this more of a late-game thing?

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 13, 2023

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Is it worthwhile to drop $20 on the starter pack in the store? I really like the game (for $20 at least) and wouldn’t mind assuming it’s worthwhile.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Arivia posted:

Yeah it’s fine. Save the points to buy additional tabs during a stash tab sale.

Well it gave me one extra tab so I used the extra money to buy a corgi that looks like my dog who now follows me around. The in-game corgi is about as useful as it’s RL counterpart. I see all these folks running around with crazy dragons and bat wings and poo poo. Meanwhile I’m just a lovely thief with a corgi.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Awesome! posted:

i think it gave you a normal tab which cant be used for trading. you need a premium tab for that. you are also going to really want at least a currency and map tab if you keep playing. fragment tab will be close behind.

I will buy more tabs when they have a tabsale I guess. I mean right now, I’m just getting started anyway

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

12 rats tied together posted:

buying an in game pet that looks like your irl pet ftw

It’s real dumb but it’s making me laugh so idk

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Goons: optimal first time purchasing with first points is blah blah currency fragment map tab blah blah

A goon: ooh a corgy :3:

Yeah p much

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Arivia posted:

Ain’t nothing wrong with a corgi if that’s what you want. I’d just hate if you couldn’t afford the other tabs that are huge QoL upgrades when they’re on sale/you need them.

If it’s another $20 or whatever I’m still way under what most games cost. All good

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

victrix posted:

stash tab sale is up for nugoons

I'd recommend currency, maps, fragments, and at least one premium trade tab (regular size or quad)
Ok I understand this.

quote:

for trading itself, grab awakened poe trade and poe lurker to make trading a few clicks (do not, I repeat, do not spam apoet on every rare, use it to check uniques that your loot filter gets excited about, otherwise dump everything in a trade tab set to like 5 chaos, 10 chaos, whatever - believe me you'll know if you put something too valuable in immediately)

No fuckin' clue what any of this means.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Noper Q posted:

If you're still making your way through the story, don't worry about all that trade stuff. It only starts to matter when you're in maps, aka the endgame.

Yeah I threw in the towel about a 3rd of the way into act 2

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

totalnewbie posted:

I posted a review of the stash tabs earlier, check my post history.

Cool will do. Thread is almost as daunting as the game itself

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Is there any reliable way to get gems you need? I desperately need an unleash gem and a few others (plague bearer, increased AoE etc). Do I just have to get lucky and find them or is there a method to farming them somehow?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Captain Foo posted:

If they are Never available for your build in the early campaign just push to a6

Ok. I'm nearing the end of A2 so I still have a ways to go I guess.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I actually just hit level 30 but I'm having something of an issue in the slums outside of the city in act 3. There's a champion variant of those devourer things (the guys that pop out of the ground) and I can't hurt it at all. Literally hasn't happened before. It's tagged with one of those golden "skull" marks the beasts get when that guy from act 2 can trap them but he's nowhere to be found. Am I doing something wrong? I literally can't get this thing's health bar to move at all with poison, blade vortex or throwing knives.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

dyzzy posted:

Einhar won't show up until you get a beast down to certain amount

Check the mods but the beast probably has at least one that seriously impedes your DPS, it's not worth it to fight a rare mob for 10 minutes in the campaign so I suggest running past or creating a new instance (Ctrl+click any door or waypoint)

Ok I'll just force a new instance. Thanks.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I just died for the first time stuck in a menu opening one of those chests that spawns a bunch of enemies. I thought that meant I was done with the league but apparently not? All this time I've been super paranoid about death. Also plague bearer + blade vortex + chance to poison is fun as heck.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Arivia posted:

If you’re not playing hardcore then no, you stay in league when you die.

lmao all this time I've been super paranoid about death. Welp! I guess boss counters will be less stressful now at least.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

goferchan posted:

Honestly, good job not dying yet lol

I was being incredibly careful because I was operating under the assumption that if I died, it was game over. If I had t gotten tangled up in a menu and unable to heal, I would have been fine.

That said, I died twice more immediately afterwards in the final ascendency trial before I figured out the gimmick. I’m playing blind* and honestly having a pretty good time with it.

(*blind in the sense that I don’t know any of the fights / story. I didn’t come up with my own build and there are a ton of mechanics I haven’t even seen yet let alone understand)

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

goferchan posted:

You're playing Righteous Fire, right?

No, I’m a poison blade vortex assassin guy. Blade vortex with deadly ailments support using plague bearer and withering step to do silly amounts of damage while I feverishly hammer the skill button because I don’t have unleash yet.

The only thing I wish I had known before I started was that I needed to beeline for Poison on Hit immediately rather than leaning on a chance to poison support gem.

I’m in the middle of act 3 currently and just killed some mob in the temple that was like a loot piñata for gems so I’m going to go sort through those now.

Thanks for the death info. I still am not sure where I got the idea that I death = game over.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
So this is a really stupid question but I just finished the labyrinth (hooray) and chose Assassin as my class. It says I have 2 ascendency points but I can't for the life of me figure out where or how to spend them. Looking at the ascendency altar, it shows all the skills I can pick but won't let me choose any of them. Do I access the ascendency skills some other way?

E: nm I just found it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Is it worth dicking around in the mines in A4? Difficulty seems to be really high and the rewards have been pretty meh so far. Now I’ve run out of sulphide(?) and don’t know where or how to get more

E: to be clear, I mean the digging machine minigame, not the actual mines

EE: Just hit lvl 42 and I am really tired of mashing the poo poo out of blade vortex

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 16, 2023

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

docbeard posted:

You'll see little sulphite deposits pop up from time to time during the campaign, and much larger ones when you get into maps.

It's probably not worth giving too much attention to during the campaign, no.

Ok thanks. That’s what I figured but I didn’t want to miss out.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Do the directional arrows on gem slot links matter on gear or is it just “4 linked slots will apply to each other if possible”?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Papercut posted:

THose are not arrows lol, it doesn't matter

Ok cool. That would have made jeweler orbs much more irritating.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
So uh, this is where I'm at right now:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/sony/view-profile/MrFrankFrank/characters

Don't mind the FR rings. I'm in that part of act 4 where everything is fire all the time and I have others I swap to as need dictates. A lot of the gems I have socketed at the moment are just there to gain xp for my end-game build. I'm assuming that's ok? Slots aren't going to do anything else - might as well use them for something. As far as attack patterns go, I'm firing up herald of agony, kiting enemies on top of me then hitting withering step, smashing the poo poo out of blade vortex then dropping plague bearer. Has been ok up until now but I've gotten overwhelmed with damage now and then. There are bastards in the mines that detonate when they die who just instantly kill me if I don't dodge out of the way. Knives + pierce support are a crutch I lean on when I have to try and kite things but the poison specialization wears most things down (at which point I can just run in and vortex stuff to death). Knives aren't part of the endgame build.

Am I at least on the right track?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Couple more quick questions:

1) What is the point of corrupted items? I have a bunch of them but can’t seem to figure out what the drawback is. Hell, most of the orange items and crucible effects seem to be worse.

2) if you have a piece of armor that has 4 slots, and they are linked in a “letter C” formation, do all support effects still apply if there’s a slot that doesn’t really work? I’m not phrasing this well but imagine:

Green support -> red useless skill -~> green support —> green important skill.

Will the first green support still count?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Rynoto posted:

Corrupted used to be more permanent but it's still harder to modify than uncorrupted gear, especially when socket colouring.

Yes. All connected links affect all others (if applicable) no matter the order or placement.

Thank you both. I finally got my unleash gem but hilariously don’t have a slot for it so it’s just looking sad in my inventory.

I’m worried about the “overleveling” thing that was mentioned and I’m not sure how or why that could happen.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I have a bunch of Vaal gems with effect lists so long they scroll off the screen but none that are relevant to my build unfortunately. Any chance I can swap them or sell them or stuff I need?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

pork never goes bad posted:

Over leveling isn't something you need to worry about on most builds for most gems. If it's in your main 6 link, chances are it should be max level.

The risk you run into while leveling is that you have an item that's not that great but it has a key stat on it. Perhaps for you that's a three link helmet with a fat strength roll but nothing else. If you're using a red skill, say steelskin, and keep it leveled up fully you might find a four link helmet with life and res and be unable to swap because of the missing stats. Downleveling gems with a scour at the vendor can be useful here, as can just buying a new one from Lily Roth in A6 or from gem vendors in A1-4 if they stock it.

Here's a few times that you don't want max level gems, to help you with context. Cast when damage taken is the big one, where the damage required to trigger goes up per level so you sometimes keep it low so it triggers often. This means that the active gems linked to it also need to be low level in order to cast (the cwdt gem will tell you what level requirement). The others are more niche, but one good example is if you use frostblink as a movement skill on Righteous Fire. If you level it up, you can kill yourself to elemental reflect maps. If you don't, you won't.

Thank you for the explanation.

It’s hilarious that I keep accidentally unearthing bizarre mechanics that I have to spend a good deal of time understanding/understanding how new mechanics interact with those I already understand.

This game is my jam.

E: also the build I was following just optimized a bunch of gems changing up the entire thing. Thankfully didn’t change skills at all but lol. RIP banner of Defiance and Despair gems. It also got rid of withering step for wither but that’s gonna be low on my list of stuff to swap. Core blade vortex build is still the same as is plague bearer.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 16, 2023

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I hate to ask this because I’m afraid of the answer, but is there any reliable way to farm chromatic / fusing orbs other than just getting lucky drops and/or finding trash items with 3 linked color slots?

I got a nice level 50ish chest piece with 5 slots and after a lot of effort, I still can’t use it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

euphronius posted:

Pick up 6s and vendor them for jewelers which you convert

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a “6”? Do you mean “6 slot items”? If so, I haven’t seen a single one of those but maybe it gets better later. Also if I just blew the bank trying to roll a 5 slot item when 6 slots become common(?) I’m gonna be mad lol

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

whypick1 posted:

Yes, "6S" = "6 sockets" ("6L" meaning "6 linked sockets"). Those start dropping at area level 50.

Don't try to link it. You'll be fine with a 4L, you'll probably find a better chest later, you might get a 5L to drop that you can craft on for cheaper and getting a 5L is not cheap. To give you some idea, there's the crafting bench recipes for sockets/links, and those costs are slightly higher than average but still in the high-confidence band of how much it would cost if done manually. 5L is costs 150 Fusings (6L is 1500). The time spent farming up that many Fusings during the campaign would be better served actually finishing the campaign.

Of course you could get lucky and get it on the first go, but personally it doesn't seem worth it.

Yeeesh. 150 fusings? I think I’ve found like 20 of those over the course of my entire run through the middle of act 5. I am now regretting spending any of those orbs prior to max level because I was trying to min/max gear that would be obsolete in a few levels. Should have known that was dumb from D2.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's your first run through the campaign, we all do it. It's a good way to learn how the systems work aswell. But the socket/link system is deceptively harsh in how quickly it escalates and it catches new players out.

Slammed the brakes but I’m probably way too late at this point.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

External Organs posted:

If you spent a lot of chromatics trying to get a specific color combo, just fyi the statistics may be weighted against you depending on the type of equipment:

Yup I figured that out pretty quickly when I decided I wanted green green blue red linked gloves. Very apparent that the gloves tended towards green but would occasionally kick out another color

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

euphronius posted:

Chrome outcomes are also weighted by item level. It’s easier to roll off colors on low item levels

This is useful and makes sense too. It has gotten a lot harder to force slot colors the higher I go

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Wow so that sucker punch at the end of act 5 can eat my entire butthole.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Awesome! posted:

losing resists?

Yeah. I was not expecting that.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

xZAOx posted:

I have bad news

Oh I know. The “D2 did it first” jogged my memory so I’m assuming it’s going to happen again. Hate being this squishy again. Did a couple heists. Hilariously, the into heist killed me several times but the ones I found on the ground were much easier. Not really engaging with the “blow poo poo up” lady much. Mainly just focusing on leveling for the moment so I can work on putting my end-game kit together. Level 59 and grinding :smith:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Chakan posted:

Update on my HC SSF R Crucible character:

I did it! This character proves that Arc is strong enough to carry you through the campaign because I basically invested nothing into damage after act 3ish and was mostly fine till I put a few points into elemental overload in act 9.

That part was funny as a new player because the doors telegraph what resists you need. I did Kaom first and then went into the ice door only to find mud/nothing resist specific l - so I switched back to my regular gear only to have the everloving gently caress owned out of my by the ice boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
So exactly how are you supposed to deal with the guy at the end of act 6? Is there a trick to it because even decked out with heavy cold resist gear that “summon tidal waves” thing he does is more or less instant death even if you’re standing on top of him. I killed him but it cost me almost a full bar segment of xp.