Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nigella's cans need some mid-region waxing and/or a time machine that goes back to 1992. Or both, it's hard to say since this completely not weird gigantic huge picture of some broad in the car thread in the year 2017 is only 5 megapixels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Except for the worms 'n' chives bowl, every one of those food pictures individually constitutes the number of calories I eat in any 3 day period as a 210 pound grown adult man who works out daily, and that's including alcohol (which makes up 79% of my caloric intake)

Congratulations on your trip to the midwest/south!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Having a safety recall done on my M3. They put me into a loaner 2017 430 gran coupe. Not a terrible looking car. It has the new little turbo 4 pot and 8 speed auto. I'm most impressed with the transmission. Granted I have like 12 miles of experience but it's not awful. The leather and interior is not nearly as refined or nice to touch as the M. Novillo leather is just so soft to touch. It has the Harmon Kardon stereo that is pretty good. Nothing happens power wise below ~2300 RPM.

BMW scrubby non-Novillo interiors after the E90's are cheap garbage and seriously put me off (as if going from a NA V8 to a turbo'd 6 with a stereo noise enhancer wasn't enough).... I actually lol'd when I touched the 'leather' in my buddy's F80 M3 compared to what is in my car, it feels like the vinyl in my dad's 1976 Volvo 240.

Congrats on your new airbag, I too finally got that letter after 2 years of constantly calling BMW NA.

To whoever commented on the free 11 cents worth of tire use, good luck getting any sort of burnoff in that car's 100k mile treadlife tires compared to what SH's used to in his his own. You can't even probably turn the TC off completely in that salesrepmobile. Gran Coupe is french for "We'll sell you $4500 worth of carbon fibre door sills and "M' badges.".

I also broke my own uber record of $98 by taking a $117 uber from Milwaukee to Madison at 3am after United Airlines hosed everything up they possibly could and kept me traveling for 22 hours to get the (not) astonishing distance from LAX to Madison not my actual booked destination for the bargain sum of $740 (airfare only), throw in the $100 I spent in airport bars + the uber charges and it's nearly $1000 --- I could have probably driven the trip in the same amount of time at an average of 85mph or better (easily done in an E92 M3) for $350 in gas (this bitch gets 21mpg at that speed!!) and $100 in cocaine/mountain dew, return it for the same $450 and I'm still ahead.

My favorite part of the day's United Airlines (@united) is A Load of Assbozos fuckups was watching when they let two people with invalid boarding passes for a future date onto an airplane bound from Denver-SFO, and bumped two ticketed and checked in passengers who were late to the gate to accommodate the random unticketed idiots (the paid and ticketed passengers were late to the gate because United hosed up their flight too.) Yay security. theatre. Glad TSA makes me take my sunglasses off at the check in booth but can't read the date on a boarding pass. At least they removed the unticketed passengers after they were on the plane with the chance to leave explosives/knives/whatever on for half an hour. I wish I'd recorded it, twitter and worldstar love that kind of thing.

I know for a fact I could have flown to Paris and driven to the 'Ring in the same amount of less time on a legit airline run by grownups without their dicks so far up their own asses they can get a mouthful of semen when they sneeze.

gently caress United forever. I gave my boy Shady another $40 in cash for his effort. If they ever invent Uber Air, I am all over buying shares.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Uber is a lovely company run by cunts and I lust for it and other unlicensed taxi cab companies to die in a terrible and wonderful manner

bonus points if my using uber makes Captain Applefellator here upset about capitalism.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh no the very regulated and extremely good taxi service of America will be unemployed and all those ex-convicts will have to get jobs at the Apple Store

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I hope they can read the box of the product I'm looking at to me better than the current employees

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If you were at all consistent about which capitalism is bad and which is good, then perhaps your rolling with the punches gambit here would work better.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cool, I guess Apple has more liquid cash than any government on the planet and sells $500 laptops to $1500 hipsters for $3000 because they're one of the moral companies that don't cut any corners on worker safety, who pay american workers full wages to build their products in the good ol' USA, and don't steal IP from smaller companies.

But y'know I read an article once about how uber is bad so

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Well, you've got me there. Apple's long history of female CEOs is truly impressive and their senior leadership consisting of 3 women of 17 positions is about as equal as I can handle, as a regressive who thinks that the legions of taxi companies owned, run, and staffed by women are a poo poo business model that deserved to die.

Check out this long list of uber employees who killed themselves because there were bad articles on the internet about their company https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 5, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Yeah I'm still not sure what Apple had to do with me saying "uber can die in a loving fire" other than EF trying to be a smug oval office :capitalism:

"Uber is misogynistic!!!!!!" - forums poster Tusen Takk

"I will casually use the word oval office as an insult" - also forums poster Tusen Takk, on the same page no less

If this attitude makes me smug, imagine how I feel when I think about your car sitting next to mine.

MrChips posted:

An Uber-type business for flying can not and will not happen ever. It's been suggested a few times by libertard techbros with IQs lower than their body temperatures, and each time the FAA basically laughs at them until they're blue in the face.

I'm going to die laughing when Apple pull a hundred billion of the $250b liquid cash they keep in offshore banks (cuz they're such altruistic superpatriots and all) and buys the FAA lock, stock & barrel from Trump right before he gets frogmarched from the white house, and voila. Goodbye US domestic airline racket, hello gig-based 777 pilots flying at 37mph while staring at their iPhones.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I took an uber out to a buddy's house today to see a couple of the new things that have accumulated in his garage since I saw him last summer

he wasn't sure if he's going to keep this one since it's hot as hell to ride in and the seats aren't what one would call luxurious, but it sounds pretty nice and we definitely got lots of looks

This is going to be his daily driver for the summer

Not sure if the white one is worth the effort to bring it cosmetically up to snuff but it apparently tears rear end, and he might put that motor into this red one instead

I'm going to head out to his shop on thursday and see the rest of his collection that's a little further along in the restoration department, he also just got (at auction, at a insane steal of a price) a 2008 Audi S8 with the Lambo V10 in it he wants to show me. I'm curious to see how that goes compared to the S65.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

:hf:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

I don't care what other people think, I'm just puzzled why so many people give so much of a gently caress about my life and my decisions.

Perhaps if you burned your house down less often.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Enourmo posted:

Anyone else get really self conscious about showing anger in front of others? I managed to gently caress up and lost about 3 hours of CAD work earlier; I swore, slammed my laptop shut, and pounded my fist on the table so hard everyone in the room kinda gave me a look. I've redone the lost work and it didn't take that long, but I still feel like a jackass for... being upset? Idk, it's weird.

There's a fine line between being cool and sort of funny-angry and 'hm this guy could snap angry'. Take it down 2.3 levels there, my technique for that scenario is I loudly say "gently caress" so people know you're not fooling around, give your laptop the double fingers while you mutter "These loving idiots" and then you can be angry and also still make it seem like maybe it wasn't your own fault.

Don't pound your fist on tables ever though. Especially since you're a large dude... and don't break poo poo either. Other than that, go for it dawg. Do your thing. Go get some fresh air, go have a drink.

Also what's 3 hours in the overall remaining 48-72 hours you have left before our very impressive, strong and good and very smart president goads some other dipshit smalldick daddy's boy into a nuclear war in order to hide the fact Vladimir Putin owns everything he is and has?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

but that's not how it works at all, at least according to one of the articles posted during this discussion.

the braying for the blood of crims in here is a bit weird and sick tbh. these people don't exist in a vacuum and despite whatevers behind the poor choices someone's made to become a crim, they are still someones child/parent/sibling. there are people who love and care for these people despite their faults and would much rather see them put behind bars where they at least have a chance for rehabilitation rather than a smear on the pavement.

theres been a sudden spike in a particular sort of crime and people have instinctively clutched their pearls and jerked their knees. it's no secret that the police forces in the uk are suffering from a crippling lack of resources and the situation is complex and needs proper assessment. it all sounds a bit like the "pc gone mad" crowd to me

this sudden spike, like international terrorism, has gone from a 0.00001% chance to a 0.00005% chance of it actually happening to you or anyone you know. The cops in the UK not carrying assault rifles and shooting people because they looked brown/maybe scary/like a white australian woman is in fact, a GOOD thing. There's not some sort of acceptance of actual crime because the rozzers come to your house the next day instead of playing Roscoe P Coltrane down main roads because it gets their dicks hard to play hardman law enforcement when in fact most of them are poo poo drivers with poo poo ability to control themselves (at least in the US.)

In Begbie's day, glassing was a far greater danger than any of the popular new techniques, yet...

The daily mail never once reports on the 65 million people who aren't nightly attacked in the UK by horrible acid ASBOs in their hoodies.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I suppose you know whether or not your wife understands what 'turning over' means, but that isn't really a given even with a smart woman who's a non-car person. I have been unable to explain it to my wife after 15 years, partly because each of our various terrible broken cars do different things when they won't start from a dead battery, the oldest one will at least chug a little bit in a slow fashion but won't start, the newer old one won't do anything but click when it has a dead battery.

It's also possible that while Steve is over having an affair with your wife, he didn't get the ground cable properly hooked to any bare metal and that's why it's turning over but not starting.

Also, some idiot left the lights on overnight on my mom's car this last week (it was me) (I got used to how my car's automatic lights worked and hers are different, so I'd turned them to manual at some point) and all the Toyota Avalon dash poo poo and interior electrics worked and she could move the seat around when she tried to use it in the morning, but it wouldn't even click when she hit the starter button, then once the neighbor came over with his battery charger and zipped it up for 10 minutes it was completely fine to go.

e: Heh at how many other people got similar responses in there while I typed that.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 14, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I have had that same phone call so I know the 'Well what do you mean 'turning over', is it cranking? is the engine doing anything?? Can you please just call AAA since you're sitting in a parking lot that's a block from our house." discussion.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Either you have a surprisingly low amount of student loans, or that is the most optimistic thing I've ever heard you post. Keep up the good attitude, it'll all work out in the end.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cancer is real bad, miscarriages are unfortunate but like being thrown off a horse, get back out there son. You're young, your wife is young. It took my S-i-L like 5 years to get the baby she didn't want but now adores (her husband wanted babies) and she was about 40 when she started and had many false starts to begin with.

The biggest issue is dealing with how she handles it, be there for her. I'm super equality based but also as a longtime woman-knower, they be a little nuts when hormones + tragedy happen at the same time. So suck it up, be prepared for Jekyll/Hyde syndrome, and refrain from complaining about it to your friends. You'll regret it later.

Instant fix:
Buy her that E9x M3 she didn't know she wanted until you took her out in the test drive for it. Then boom. Babies everywhere. Look at our Mormon friend, Somewhat Heroic. He can't walk past his wife without her going preggers, and if she's just had that 4 liter V8 rumbling underneath her.. twins. Triplets. It's madness.

Or look at me, the guy with no kids because kids are evil and prevent your ability to do fun things... Either way, you've got an E9x M3.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 17, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Also don't make her go through weeks/months/etc of fertility checking without you getting checked at the same time. My aforementioned sister in law went through some truly horrid sounding tests only to find out a year later her husband's boys were a little... unphelpslike and she was perfectly fertile for a healthy 40ish+ lady at the time.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Well, maybe it'll just be the rebirth of Tyrion after he gets killed by ....oh, I've said too much about those HBO spoilers, my bad

But yeah, focus on being a couple, go somewhere that isn't ship based (imho, cruises sound ghastly when there's a perfectly good Cancun or Cabo that doesn't move with you trapped on it)

I tried to convince my sister to name her kid Mycroft, but she's a fun-stopping mom and instead the kid is not named Mycroft.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cabo: all the cruise ship fun without the legionnaire's disease and endless amount of white americans:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g152515-d7891453-Reviews-The_Cape_a_Thompson_Hotel-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html
Their default picture isn't anywhere near as grand as the place actually is, I'm not sure why they chose that one.
This more typifies the feel/vibe.

Late Oct/Early Nov. is the time to be in Cabo, before it gets to peak pricing but also past the main rainy month (early Oct.)

I may be there myself around that time period, I'll buy you both a shot & a cerveza (unless she's pregnant again by then) if we happen to cross paths.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i have the G502 because it actually fits my large hand and has a nice slot + button for my thumb to go

i think it's quiet, i use a mechanical keyboard with blue switches at work + a G810 with Romer-G switches so I dont exactly know what quiet peripherals are :shobon:

Logitech MX510 for lyfe. I have 3 of them in all my workspaces, and a new one in a box in case I can't ever fix these ones (I've fixed the cables on two now with $7 worth of amazon and 5 minutes of labor)

For some reason the pro gamer look of their new mouses isn't my favorite but I'm starting to get curious. Will I get more chicken dinners???

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The answer lies in git'n gud

That's kind of my feeling. But I have 4 wins in my 196 rounds played lifetime, but my buddy who has a pro gaming mouse and a quicker response time on his monitor has 11 wins in his 365 rounds played, so maybe that extra .001% win ratio is worth it!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I have a i5 750 @ 2.67GHZ that's got to be about 7 or 8 years old now. I have never tried overclocking anything.

Added 16 gigs of DDR3, and a GTX 1060 over the years, and a SSD for the boot drive, and I can run pretty much every game on highest settings at or around a pretty steady 60fps. It's pretty insane how long processors last these days.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That guardian article might be the funniest thing I've ever seen on the internet.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

Also, Jesus Christ, could you *possibly* sound more uneducated?
Yes, but that would make you the president of the USA by accident.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I built a Porsche GT3 RS

Has a working dual clutch transmission, LSD & steering rack

The parts after separating them out for stage 1... of 4. My workspace size planning was... optimistic.

It's 24"x9"x6" tall and larger than I expected. 1/8th scale, 2704 pieces.

even has a Lego Porsche bag to go in the frunk.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Buy 10 cases of Dasani @ $42, then once the hurricane is over buy 10 cases at regular price of $4, return them using the receipt from the $420 worth of Dasani for a $380 profit. And 10 cases of tapwater.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
One guy here has a terrible opinion about everything and we have to stop talking about all the grown up topics that grown ups can talk about reasonably and rationally and always have in this forum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Things have gotten better in that regard but some stuff is still impossible to get due to licensing issues worldwide. The internet is a global market you morons, if people want something and you're making it impossible to pay for without some degree of difficulty, how can you complain when they just teef it?!

I'd happily pay BBC, ITV and Channel 4 for a TV license, but they won't let me so instead I pay a polish VPN company $40 a year and watch all the shows anyway because I'm able to figure out how to put in a fake post code.

• Locked thread