Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Just finished S2 of The Orville last night. A few friends and I started it a couple of months ago after putting off trying it because we had all been a bit curious but the first trailers looked like Family Guy in space.

Our whole group chat about it has mainly been variations on HOLY poo poo THIS IS ACTUALLY GOOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Killer robot posted:

They didn't film the season by episode, instead they did some sort of scheduling thing where "now we film all the scenes with this combination of characters and sets through the whole season", then the next combination, etc. Makes sense that different actors would finish at different times.

It's probably going to have some little oddities since it means that about half of each episode will be filmed pre-covid and half this year.

That's a smart way of doing things if you need to keep the number of crew and cast down for Covid reasons, but has to be an insurance nightmare. In a conventional filming schedule it's always going to be difficult to deal with if you have an injury, illness or death among the cast, but you can write someone out. With this type of production you'd have to scrap so much already filmed content.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

S2E8+9

They really need to diversify the ship designs. there's like 1-2 ship models for each race.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I was a little disappointed that Union ships are apparently all just The Orville, but different sizes. Star Trek did better with having multiple ship classes that all share a common design ethos.

Shakes fist at the Picard copy-paste fleet.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember reading somewhere that The DefiantReliant was the first new ship design for Starfleet in Star Trek, and the fact is, it's iconic look with the nacelles underneath the saucer, was actually a mistake. When the design for the Miranda Class was presented, it was signed upside down, the nacelles were originally intended to be on top.

Everything comes full circle then, considering that the opposite was apparently the case for the original Enterprise.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

adhuin posted:

Death is too permanent.

Give him promotion to Admiral, which leaves room for a yearly guest appearance. allows them to turn Mercer into a villain

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

For a long time I thought the first couple of seasons of Voyager were the best (and they still do in many ways feel like they do the premise more justice than the later ones).

However in the past 18 months I've found myself watching bits and pieces of Voyager and am appreciating it a lot more. At the time it felt like the lack of consequences and continuity and stakes were a stale relic of outdated TV making, but the grimdark style of the last decade+ means it feels light and fun comes with a sense of nostalgia I'm loving.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I really wish Kes had been around for the full run of Voyager, although it's hard to imagine them bothering with full aging makeup for every episode so I imagine they would have extended her lifespan at some point.

Don't think we needed any more exploration of relationship age differences though, the :aatrek: types are already encouraged enough.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I can't remember, has he ever played piano in the show? If not it seems like a very TNG thing to have him do so.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

And exists purely because the Trek version got shut down and the Orville team proactively went to them and said if they wanted to do an Orville version they were very welcome to.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

It makes sense that they don't understand social norms since they were never exposed to any. The original Kaylon wanted to observe society, but were not allowed. They were each confined to a very small world. Eventually their innate curiosity was crushed by abuse.

Upon finally leaving isolation their curiosity returns. They are worried biologicals may try to destroy or enslave them, but yes actually we would like to attend a wedding. Inviting them to participate in random crap (that has nothing to do with the military or technology) is probably a great way to gain their trust since that is something their creators deliberately denied them.

If there is a season 4 I'm looking forward to them exploring the Kaylon more because it's an interesting perspective. They perceived themselves to be acting out of self defense in a logical manner, and there wasn't anything vindictive or revenge seeking about it. As soon as they became convinced that the Planetary Union actually won't subjugate them when given the chance it's a switch flip of being friends now.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It is great when she shows up at the end of S3 and they make a point of emphasizing how she can't come back to the show permanently even if it gets renewed.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

swickles posted:

The Expanse handled it really well, and some of those space battles looked amazing.

Yeah, especially at the start of the show when a ship blows up, and because it's space and nothing slows down effectively just becomes a cloud of high speed bullets.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

Hell, that episode of TNG, 'Relics,' storing somebody in the pattern buffer was a jury-rigged hail-mary that shouldn't have worked, yet in Strange New Worlds, it's a standard technique that M'Benga had been using for years.

Maybe M'Benga is how Scotty first encounters it, and it seems like it is pretty risky and unsafe unless you have someone there to keep monitoring the state of the transporter.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

M'Benga seems to get a demotion between SNW and TOS, maybe it's because of his reckless buffer fuckery.

Or space Child Protective Services take a dim view of his letting his child run off with an energy being ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Obviously a very different time, but an interesting stat is that in the length of time from the start of Orville S3 filming to now, the entire run of TOS was filmed.