Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

exquisite tea posted:

Lawbreakers saw how the mass appeal of Overwatch brought in millions of people who otherwise would never play an FPS and ran in the exact opposite direction so far it time traveled 20 years back into the Attitude Era.

stop saying things that make me want to play lawbreakers, i don't want to support CliffyB

Palpek posted:

Isn't Lawbreakers just mediocre, its wait times for matches arbitrary long, its leveling system slow as poo poo and its actual multiplayer features pretty barebones? People that I talked to who played it just dropped out because they felt that the game was wasting their time a lot more than its competition.

thank you, "it's an FPS with a leveling system" is exactly what i needed to hear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

unlockable gameplay elements are universally a garbage mechanic

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

almost every example listed in that thread sucks, it's basically just gamedevs half-understanding that comebacks aren't fun or interesting if they're freebies but not actually getting the whole way there

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

haveblue posted:

They work fine if the player isn't aware of them which is the whole point.

Games shouldn't become shittier the better you understand them, or reward you for remaining ignorant. That they knew enough to realize they had to hide it but not enough to realize they shouldn't do it at all makes it even worse.

Some of them might even be fine as explicit mechanics; Caves of Qud has a gun that says right in the description that the final bullet is always a critical hit, for instance.

Similarly there isn't an automatic scaling difficulty system in the world that wouldn't be better off as an option in a menu somewhere.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 3, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Sorry if this was brought up already but would you say the final boss of silent hill is a good example of this kind of thing where if you're running out of ammo, the last bullet will kill it? That was neat but I remember hearing that that was kind of unintentional, I don't know how true that is though.

Yeah that sounds pretty dumb. I admit it's a tricky problem in games with long loading times or other factors that make "just let the player lose and try again" excessively aggravating, but there are other solutions.

You could give the player a fallback weapon that doesn't use ammo but has poor range or some other quality that makes it inferior (gotta be careful here, though, because there are wrong answers here -- "it deals no damage" is pretty miserable, and at the same time you don't want to end up with a Bioshock Wrench situation where your default fallback is one of the best weapons in the game, at least if you're aiming for survival horror.)

You could provide some source of ammo in the boss room that's telegraphed but involves some kind of risk, like there's no cover and it spawns on alternating sides of the room, or you have to kill an add to get it.

You could go really experimental and make a game where occasional failure is expected and the game goes on in different directions when you lose fights, presumably simply arriving at an alternate ending if you fail the final boss.

e: And if you do go with the "just let the player lose and try again" solution, make sure the fight ends as soon as it becomes unwinnable. Being stuck in an unwinnable state and not yet realizing it is pretty lovely too.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 3, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Well, no, Silent Hill had melee weapons and the boss can be killed normally, it's just that the whole "last bullet" thing is a dramatic effect kind of thing to give the experience of "hoo boy I'm sure glad that last shot hit" or whatever. At least, that's how I understand it works.

If you're going to present the player with a task that can be failed, then pull the interactivity out of it at the last second in order to achieve a dramatic effect, you should be making movies, not video games.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

have you played silent hill 2

For like ten minutes on the PC version before I gave up because the controls were so bad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Anyone have Disgaea 2 PC? How do you set a character's facing?

e: nevermind, found it!

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 4, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

definitely Insomniac Cat

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm playing Hearthstone again and kind of enjoying it, even though it remains a total joke as a competitive game and the mode that Blizzard has actively focused on balancing is, predictably, in worse shape than the one they neglected.

I've wanted Control Shaman to actually be good forever and it finally happened, though, at least for a few more days until the Hex nerf comes down.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

chumbler posted:

How are they nerfing hex? I'm guessing mana cost? I stopped following hearthstone after getting annoyed at how they keep making cards with interesting effects garbage and ridiculously straightforward cards busted.

They're raising it to 4 mana.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Cats are the Dark Souls of pets.

No, that's definitely fish.

YOU DIED

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

because while cats are difficult to grasp at first

cats instinctively know where they're supposed to poop 99% of the time

they can live entirely indoors, and while it's kinda irresponsible for a number of reasons they can live outside too

they entertain themselves pretty well, especially if you have more than one

their food and litter is sold in basically every grocery store, and every vet has seen a million of them

cats are as easy mode as you can get while still being responsible for another living creature

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 6, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Good cats love being picked up

I had a blind siamese who hated being picked up but loved being held. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

So my grandma might be on her deathbed. She's "taken a turn for the worse" and I'm home alone for the time being while parents deal with it. When my grandpa passed, it didn't hit me that hard - maybe because I didn't know him that much, or maybe just the result of a broken brain.

I don't know where I'm going with this.

Grief is complicated, man. When I first learned my father was dying of heart disease I didn't have an immediate reaction, and by the time he actually passed away I had mostly processed it, but the moment where the enormity of it actually hit me was the first time I spoke to him on the phone, listened to him talking about all the medication he was on and make bad jokes about mortality, that absolutely destroyed me. You don't owe dramatic or instant displays of sorrow to anyone, I figure just try and see her or speak to her while you can (if she's up to it) and take the emotional stuff in your own time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Summoning makes Dark Souls absolutely trivial, to the point where I don't understand why you'd ever do it if you actually enjoy the gameplay of the series. I don't think the dev's opinions have anything to do with it.

It's actually a little frustrating because I think it would be cool to have a game in that genre but where you're expected to handle certain encounters in groups and they're balanced accordingly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I summon people even against bosses I've never faced before. Suck it

I mean, you're hurting yourself here, not us. :shobon:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

do you see a sign here that says "dead gamer storage?!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm not ashamed of what video games I've played, only of what video games I've paid for.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Japan can be right about tea and wrong about video games, and, in fact, is usually both.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Maybe don't share your love of anime, like ever. That goes for everyone.

Nah. Shame is for idiots who like shameful things, like AAA video games.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Raserys posted:

how has there not been a superhero game with customizable characters and powers

There have been a bunch, they're just all lovely MMOs.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

Here's my list of Dark Souls games

Bloodborne > other dark souls games

See this is what really grinds my gears. I believe you. Every time someone praises the older games with something like "oh they have slower more deliberate combat" I'm like why would I ever want that? Meanwhile everything about Bloodborne sounds like the stuff I like about DS3 but moreso, so of course it's the one game that's never, ever going to come out on PC.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I like The Elder Scrolls a lot but they seriously need to do a major overhaul of the combat so its more engaging than "point sword at monster". I'm not entirely sure how you do that in first person though.

Chivalry did it sort of all right.

Or just accept that 3rd person is much better for that and nudge players in that direction.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

credburn posted:

IN20R-V2J7R-V0C9R

Outlast for Steam. It's free on the Humble Bundle store. Turns out I had it (but not its DLC, which is also free on the store, but this key is just for the game)

I took this, since somehow nobody grabbed it! I'm not sure what kind of game Outlast even is but I'll give it a fair shake.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

al-azad posted:

It's a first person horror game where you get chased around a mental facility by naked beefcakes and the DLC has a villain who cuts penises off to make men his brides.

sounds like i made the right decision

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's amazing how many stories there are of Atari shooting itself in the foot while trying to get ahead of someone else. every time i thought i've heard them all there's another one

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zetsubou-san posted:

smoked a joint once in my teenage years and was not really impressed

I got high for the first and only time in college, awkwardly hit on a photography major, and went home and felt like a dumbass.

Some day I'd like to experiment with more powerful hallucinogens in a safe/controlled setting but otherwise I spend my recreational money on nerd poo poo instead.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dangit Ronpaul, still the original, still the superior name

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Atlus shrugged

:eyepop:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the ninja chapter of live a live was too annoying for me to finish it

I would play a whole game of the ninja chapter of Live-a-Live, I loved it so much.

also that game exists and it's called Shadow Tactics :sun:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Marry, gently caress, kill: Capcom, Ubisoft, EA

marry Capcom then get Vampire Savior and Monster Hunter in the divorce
gently caress EA
kill Ubisoft

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I really, really liked Dead Space 1 and 2.

why do these big companies buy successful studios and then change everything about them and act shocked when their output changes for the worse. It's very confusing. Surely you'd buy them and have them acting as they were doing so but now you'll be taking in the profits whereas before you weren't. There must be way more to it than I have any idea about.

Making good games is work, and mindless franchise loyalty / lack of discrimination in game design is really common. And that's setting aside the possibility of just getting short-term gain from the initial sales before something is wrecked by word of mouth, or before the flaws in a long singleplayer campaign or the balance/design of a complex competitive game become obvious.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

oddium posted:

mass effect 2 is bad

it's the best mass effect

but yes, you are correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you have a cat, a toilet roll hanging in front can be pawed through and rolled down while if it hangs in back, their pawing will roll it up

this is just an argument for putting it in front with some stupid poo poo about a cat tacked on at the beginning

• Locked thread