Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I've been having fun with my Splatoon 2 machine and I can't wait for it to be a Mario Odyssey machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ometeotl posted:

Just call it a Procedurally Generated Auton-Runner, you pompous dolts.

I wonder how much of Edmund McMillen's weird catholic guilt will manifest in this one!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

homeless snail posted:

the korok forest stealth quest in breath of the wild is :whitewater:

that's my first game opinion of september

IIRC, if you just follow your shrine-o-meter and walk along the edge of the forest and make sure to backtrack if the fog starts closing in, you can actually beat that fucker to the shrine. That's what I did after like the 3rd or 4th time of having to repeat that poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Macarius Wrench posted:

Counterpoint - i dont think ive used a better videogame crossbow than the BioShock one.

If you weren't pinning every enemy against the wall by their head in Bioshock then the problem was with you

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

i thought everyone liked Vagrant Story. i sure did. game owned hard.

speaking of owning, i own... holy poo poo, five versions of RE4. fuckin' lol.

yeah, I didn't know liking Vagrant Story was controversial.
I never did actually finish it, though. with all the poo poo that Square remakes, I wish they'd make that one of them, since it's probably unplayably ugly by today's standards.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

dogsicle posted:

and you have to play exponentially more for each subsequent weapon, on top of earning the money to buy it. money should be enough of a barrier/reason to play.

The weapon unlock system is no different from any other shooter

and you can use food / drink tickets to increase the money / xp you get

and between turf war, ranked, and salmon run, you should have more money than you know what to do with, I hit level 30 yesterday and have over 300k and have bought everything in the shops

and you get all the best weapons by level 10 anyway

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

dogsicle posted:

none of these mean the system is good, sorry

Well I mean, if you want to spend your time crying about inconsequential poo poo with simple solutions, that's your prerogative

In Training posted:

I never have money because I spend it all on rerolling stuff but I also don't play Salmon Run at all

SR bonuses frequently give you 32000g a pop, I've gotten almost 100k from a single day's worth of bonuses before

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Onboarding is great for a single player mode and that should be one of its main goals, as a tool to slowly teach people who may be new to the game mechanics in a controlled environment where they can learn at their own pace and they can start with the simplest options and add onto them piece by piece.

But if you have a competitive multiplayer mode, everything non-cosmetic in that mode should be available to the player from moment one

You unlock everything you need in Splatoon by level 10, which you can reach in like an hour of play, because while the single player mode is like an extended tutorial, it's reasonable to assume that most people will never play the single player mode in a multiplayer shooter.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

chumbler posted:

Unpocking stuff like that is still dumb and bad. Teaching players how to get better at your game is good, but unlocks are not that.

It's good imo because you want people to get the basics of shooting and moving down before they try to jump in and be terrible with snipers and other weapons. Also so they don't drag you down in ranked modes. How effective that winds up being in practice is another question, but I have no problem with it in theory.

Why are people acting like progress based unlocks are some kind of new thing that is totally ~* ruinin vidgams *~ and not something that has been a common aspect of games for almost two decades now

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 2, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

According to my Switch, I have more than fifteen hours of time in Splatoon 2, probably more than ten hours in multiplayer. I am still level 9 and don't have enough coins to buy all the weapons and gear, let alone that there are weapons that I need about 15 more levels for.

Wow, I have no idea how this is possible but okay.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

spudsbuckley posted:

Other than the artsytle this looks loving terrible.

Well that's one thing that hasn't changed in however many years that turd has been in development.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh is it Launch day?

I never thought about it before, but Launch sure has the aim of a stormtrooper

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

I feel like I can't even trust any reviews in progress about Destiny 2 since they're likely written by people who played the first game for 3 years straight and there's no way I'd trust anyone that batshit

Wasn't Destiny supposed to get content updates for like 10 years or something preposterous like that?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Bringing a baby into this world should be a crime unto itself.

Fortunately you can always just adopt a cat.

Or a dog.

This is Sophie. She's new here.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

StoryTime posted:

This video was what made me hopeful about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gwqVKTJvjc

It looks like 2D metroid.

The only thing that bothers me is the running animation, but everything else about it looks cool. It looks like its own thing, rather than a Super Metroid fan mod like AM2R was.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Ok now imagine playing without having someone else to reload for you :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I6hh-sHrNE

It makes me sad that typing of the dead 2 never got a release outside of Japan since that would've solved my problems with that game

ToTD2 was the one based off HoTD3, wasn't it? I could have sworn I had a PC copy in English of that game at some point, but maybe it was the Japanese version.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

which D-Pad was worse: N64, Dreamcast, or X360? The first two are rough as gently caress. One's too concave, the other is somehow raised too much to do anything without hurting.

Just D-pad? Dreamcast, probably.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

paper mario color splash sucks :(

actually it is very good, but since you said the same about Mario 3D World there's probably just no pleasing you

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

you still have to worry about memory and graphics cards and .ini files and whatever

Greetings, traveler from 1997! We have such sights to show you!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

i grew up having to make freakin' boot discs with custom config.sys and autoexec.bat files for certain games (Ultima 6 :argh: ) and yet after an entire day of trying i couldn't get Alan Wake to run on this laptop despite exceeding the specs

If Alan Wake was preventing you from playing it, it was only doing you a favor.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Infinity Gaia posted:

Color Splash is a game that I felt had very clever and funny writing, fun setpiece events and locales and an absolutely mindnumingly tedious and bad combat system. It'd legitimately be a better game if it was LESS of an RPG because except for some rare combat gimmicks that are amusing the combat is just repetitive, boring and slow.

I still managed to really enjoy the game for everything except its combat though. Amazing how it managed to make me actually like a bunch of Toads.

To be fair, the combat in all paper Mario games is tedious garbage. The only good part of the first two is exploiting badges to end the battles as soon as possible.

Help Im Alive posted:

Calamity Ganon's final and most difficult form should've been pulling up a chair and forcing Link to have a conversation about weapon durability/game design

It could be modeled after the torture scene in mgs1, except if you fail Link kills himself

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 9, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

homeless snail posted:

the most recent ones do 8 player online, think you can do eight local on switch also. the super bombermen could do 5 with a multitap iirc

don't play the c64 one imo

The tg-16 ones were also all 5 player.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

All of these games were featured in Nintendo Power, they didn't have that many standards back then huh

Nintendo Power never really had terribly high standards.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

do they really call mcdonalds fries mcpotato

Judging by the label under the picture, they call it McFrypotato.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ygKuzB9UA

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

In Training posted:

I just remember the new MVC comes out this month and that absolutely nobody gives a poo poo. I hope Capcom goes out of business

Is there even any gameplay footage of it? I have yet to see any in the promos they've put it for it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

dogsicle posted:

also citing sub numbers seems dumb because i sure as hell have a bunch that i just haven't bothered to unsub. probably more useful to cite stuff like an average view count.

I guess, if you're that committed to missing the point

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I was just talking to someone about Impossible Mission on the C-64, and it made me think of how the same guy seemed to do voice samples for every C-64 game. In particular, I know this death scream was used in a few different games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0U6h5mvr9E
https://youtu.be/XEr4rNB0wCQ?t=7m8s

Are there any of those video game history sites with any info on who that guy is? A couple minutes of googling turned up nothing for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I don't understand any of this

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OH SNAP COOK SERVE DELICIOUS 2 IS OUT.

But I haven't finished Cook Serve Delicious 1 yet!
It's fun to play multiplayer. My wife gets overwhelmed filling the orders, so 2 player is perfect since she can call up the orders and I fill them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Endorph posted:

yes, sometimes people get together and have fun. shocking, i know.

That seems a bit reductive from "moving in to an apartment with several people you don't know based solely on a shared interest in a specific video game"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sorry if it's been mentioned already, but for people like me that never played Psychonauts like 20 years ago or whenever, it's free on the Humble Store for the next hour.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/psychonauts

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Colonel posted:

i beat hyper light drifter, so now it's time to move on to a classic action rpg

That game is real bad and obtuse, I suggest you play something more enjoyable

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

homeless snail posted:

it reads to me like if they made a street fighter babies game, that's what baby chun li would be wearing

They made Pocket Fighter 20 years ago, and my friend, this monstrosity is no Pocket Fighter

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Colonel posted:

they are making a brand new puzzle fighter, though

oh...

oh god, no...

not like this...

not like this

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

haveblue posted:

Who's the tracksuit guy?

The dude from Dead Rising 2 I think

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Serf posted:

Xenogears is one of my all-time favorites. I wish they had been able to finish it the way they meant to.

I never really liked xenogears myself and never finished it because it became such a slog, but in this golden age of remakes, why the hell can't he remake it as he intended?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

holy poo poo Ys Origin is so good and fun and cool! i'm so glad to hop on board a new series (yes i know this isn't actually the first game in the series)

is Hugo a lot less fun to play as for some reason? i picked Axe Girl because, uh, do i need to even explain that choice? but magic dude looked cool too

It's actually the first chronologically, so it's as good a starting point as any!

Hugo's play style is more of a ranged shooter type thing. I didn't like playing as him personally.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Colonel posted:

this is the best turn-based rpg square has ever made

I can't remember if I discovered the chainsaw kill or not when I had the original on GB. I probably must have, considering how many times I played the poo poo out of it.
The ending always pissed me off, though. They go all the way to Heaven, the thing they've been after the entire game, and then they get to the door and it's all "derp well I guess we'll just go home!"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

should I get and play D: The Game

Is that the one that was on 3DO and... PS1, I think? The only thing I really remember about it is busting out laughing at the twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Healbot posted:

Saturn and PSX.

It was definitely on 3do too, that's where I played it

• Locked thread