Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bengy81 posted:

Supposedly their LT told them not to come back without a blood sample.

Just a few bad apples, not a systemic problem...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Maimgara posted:

The Nazis were planning that with their Projekt Amerika follow-up to the V2 (Aggregat 4) missile family:

Schwarzgerät?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I kind of wish he'd just pull the trigger and start a war so I can stop wondering when I get sent.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Victor Vermis posted:

1914 France could probably take 2017 North Korea.

I don't think a Versaillian buttfucking is in the cards for ol' Uncle Sam;

no matter how eager his beaver.

Think cost-benefit. How many lives, how much property, and how much infrastructure would the American, Japanese, and South Korean people be willing to trade for the dubious benefit of a conquered Best Korea?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hot Karl Marx posted:

lol trump is threatening to stop trading with any nation that trades with best korea (china, india, and more). i dont think china is going to get pushed around by you donny dipshit

man it must be embarrassing to have one of the dumbest people in america running your country

Remember when we spent months on Obama's "red line" bluff being called?
Nobody's even going to remember Trump's bluff because unlike Obama, nobody takes what he says seriously at all.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Good point. Probably not a UT license then, but it turns out operating a motor vehicle in the state is enough.

Well...

Unless the draw itself is considered separate from the test?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...e82e5&tid=a_inl

quote:

The Supreme Court on Thursday said that police must obtain a warrant before requiring a suspected drunk driver to submit to a blood alcohol test.

In a divided opinion, the court made a distinction between blood tests, which require the piercing of the skin, and breath tests, which it found are not particularly painful, intrusive or embarrassing.

The case arose after several states cracked down on drunk drivers by imposing criminal penalties, in addition to revoking licenses, for those who refuse to undergo testing when stopped by police. The question for the court was whether officers must obtain warrants to perform such tests.

In its opinion, the court tried to find a middle ground in balancing the government’s interest in promoting public safety on roads with individual privacy rights.

“The impact of breath tests on privacy is light, and the need for BAC [blood alcohol content] testing is great,” Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. wrote for the court’s majority. He was joined by Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justices Anthony M. Kennedy, Elena Kagan and Stephen G. Breyer.

In contrast, blood tests are “significantly more intrusive” and do not justify violating Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable searches. The breath tests, Alito added, are “no more demanding than blowing up a party balloon.”

The court’s decision means that suspected drunk drivers can be arrested for refusing to submit to breath tests, but not for refusing a blood test.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Two Finger posted:

I'm still stunned at how quickly Bush lost the title of worst president in recent memory

Worst, yes. Bush is still more disastrous by virtue of being able to pass horrible poo poo like the patriot act, tax cuts, and forever wars through Congress as well as putting a goddamn horse judge as FEMA director as sinecure.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Waroduce posted:

Got six gallons of water, 2 jars of peanut butter, jelly, crackers, bread, case of corona, 2x bottle of red wine, beef jerky, 3x boxes protein bars, soups and dog food

Allah akbar

What are you going to do after the weekend though?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Smiling Jack posted:

That would be bad, the worst part of a hurricane it's usually the upper right quadrant, IIRC

The worst part is where the motion of the storm system is added to the direction of the winds so yes, in the northern hemisphere the upper right quadrant when viewed from direction of travel has the highest winds.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Glad I got to vacation in Key West while it existed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bengy81 posted:

Bunch of young motherfuckers in this thread.
I was in my second freshman year of college when poo poo went down.

Was anybody here on active duty at that time or were we all that stupid to join after we invaded Iraq?

Neither, I was in ROTC. Joined thinking I'd go on deployments hopping around the Pacific or Mediterranean, maybe be involved in a Kosovo-style humanitarian intervention.

Ended up sweating balls in the dumbest part of the globe for people to live on.

gently caress Bin Laden for that.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
http://www.thedailybeast.com/exclusive-russia-used-facebook-events-to-organize-anti-immigrant-rallies-on-us-soil

Russians astroturfed anti-immigrant rallies in the US during the election season.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Looks like Gohmert and King are getting a new challenger.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird food bathtub posted:

That is....wow. I have not heard about that cop story until today and holy poo poo balls if the place erupts into riots it sounds totally justified to me. When does it get to the point where those communities tell the police to just stay the gently caress out, they feel safer without them around? Sure as poo poo looks like it's heading that direction.

It's kind of amazing. My coworkers are almost exclusively middle aged white women and they all think this is bullshit. Facebook and friends are reporting the same, that even middle class white suburbanites around here think he should have been convicted.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Grognan posted:

Hot take: the judge and prosecution were sandbagging because persecuting cops like they were citizens happens like never.

They did the paperwork for the killing but that doesn't justify it.

The city attorney is black and campaigned on reform.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Torch More Cop Cars
https://twitter.com/PDPJ/status/909643709695881216

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

psydude posted:

gently caress, I have to go to St. Louis next week for work.

Burn a cop car while you're here.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FastestGunAlive posted:

Or we should vote for local government that will properly fund them and at the national level supplement that funding beyond "hey have this big stockpile of military equipment"

Like, if your town is population 300 with median income under $20,000 maybe you shouldn't have a police department.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Also speaking of single shots killing unarmed victims, what's the latest with that Australian lady?

Lady still dead, shooter still Not Our Kind of People.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

maria is the 10th strongest storm ever recorded in the atlantic

god drat

Two top tens in one season!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Lol.
St. Louis cops beat up an Air Force officer - and one of their own undercover. Because dumb loving pigs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Proud Christian Mom posted:

so yeah the President of the United States called black players who protest a son of a bitch and said they should be fired, then he ranted that the game is being ruined because they worry about injuries.

He can't stroke off soon enough.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
efb

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 23, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dead Reckoning posted:

The idea that a lot of those people don't truly understand what the President does, (i.e. act as head of government as well as head of state,) and think it's like electing a national Prom King, is what allows me to sleep at night.

I'm not sure how that's comforting.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vasudus posted:

Probably some other poo poo. But going by my exceptionally limited understanding of NFL team ownership, the other owners went 'lmao no' and shut him out of the deal. It's not just about money, it's about having to deal with him regularly enough.

c.f. Rush Limbaugh being shut out of buying the Rams.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh, I'm not saying I don't think Merkel will win, I'm just hoping Germany tells Nazis to gently caress off loud enough, and doesn't experience the same right-wing surge we're seeing everywhere else.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/911952672097435648

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pesticide20 posted:

Australia did turn Chris Brown away

gently caress off, we're full (of wife beaters)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Arven posted:

I've always speculated that our government is so bad at cyber war because that movie trope where a kid hacks the pentagon and gets hired by the government is the opposite of the truth- he gets thrown in federal prison and banned from ever touching a computer again. Meanwhile in Russia and China they actually do get scooped up to work for the government. Is there anything to that?

I figured it was that our hacker culture is either libertarian or anarchist, either way pretty anti-patriotic and anti-authority. Russia and China groom authoritarian hackers.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Is there a term for someone who is a genius in one area and completely retarded in every other?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Mambold posted:

A guy in my grade school grew up to shoot Ronald Reagan. What do I win?

Eternal poor aim.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon posted:

We're at 2 that I know of. 1 if you don't count the guy who decided to eat a bullet between sophmore and junior year. The other one died giving birth a couple years ago. I didn't think that really happened in the first world anymore.

An NPR series on oh poo poo this is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

Countdown until Trump blames them for not having a months's worth of drinking water.

Commenters already are.

• Locked thread