Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is this our first female Green ranger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's nearly five thousand people watching Kamen Rider on Shout! Factor's Twitch channel. That's kinda cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

Abarangers ep 11 was pure absurdist comedy and had a black baseball player help fuel the plot to the point that he helped defeat the monster. It was pretty cool and he was presented as wacky but genuine.

Sounds like the samurai fanboy in Shinkenger.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks to this thread I was able to get all of Maskman. God bless.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What was the last Sentai where everybody equal play, more or less? (Bonus points if it was, you know, interesting equal play.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kiramager so far, except for maybe Sayo. Before that, Zyuohger was pretty good in giving everyone spotlight.

Oh, cool. I'll give them a shot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

It's straight up a character trait for Trini. It gets dropped I want to say......half way through? Or at least toned down.

I think that's part of why I like the (now finished) Go Go Power Rangers comic so much in that it focused on the kids' lives out of the suits as much as in their suits, although that did sadly go away as the series progressed. Trini especially got a lot of nice character development and they kind of made her the team's rock which made sense as it also (I think) made her an army brat so she was happy to hang onto this new found family.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

Look I was trying to be brief with that bit for humor's sake. I actually did allude to Trini being the only other one to want to hear him out- see my earlier longer write up- but Jason was the most vocal about it.

Basically I can see why the comics would pair the two of them up- on paper they have a lot of similarities.

Yeah. I liked her crush on Jason, which I was fairly sure was comics original.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

The 90s were loving weird.

Yeah. The wardrobe department had a distinct preference for Kim in crop tops and shorts. As a young teen I didn’t mind but cough years later it really stands out. Kat got it as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Resubbed to Crunchyroll to start watching some Ultraman. Started with Geed. Can Toba get her own spinoff?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

Possibly. That's something that happens with other shows as well.

It might be tied up with whoever animated it, since that wasn't Tsuburaya themselves to my knowledge.

With Japanese stuff it's also quite possible there's musical rights involved as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Leraika posted:

geed has some absolutely incredible side characters

Laiha deserved her own spinoff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Just started watching Donbrothers and six minutes in it's like "Oh, it's They Live!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been watching Maskman and admittedly have never seen any of the older Sentai series but I'm really enjoying it and it feels very different from modern series, even more than I expected. The baddies start off with a big advantage, the team has trouble with the powers, just stuff I haven't seen before. Even out of suit fighting which in my limited experience I haven't seen much of in the stuff I've seen from the last 20ish years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somebody said Yuzuki is every time they've been photographed with their friends and lord, do I feel that in my bones.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fivemarks posted:

If King Ohger's pattern for episodes becomes "King Ohgers deal with a Bugnarok problem, then Racles shows up, does some EVIL poo poo, and then everyone but the King Ohgers acts like he's jesus", I'm going to drop this show hard.

Counterpoint: Even if it did that, it still has Rita. :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GateOfD posted:

love that Rita also seems to serve as the comic relief

At very first glance I thought the yeti was talking. Then I realized it wasn't. :allears:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GateOfD posted:

so are the shugods actually just hanging around the jungle until they're called upon to form the big guy?

Not even around the jungle. You can see Kaguragi's God Hachi just chilling on the side of a building when the Bugnarok made their big on-air demand.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

To fight oppressive systems headed by hosed up freaks, sometimes you gotta become a hosed up freak but on the side of justice

You will put respect on Rita's name. :colbert:

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 9, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

We're getting a two year timeskip next week! They're going to space!

Oh that's why Rita's actress cut her hair. Neat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is Abaranger good? I just watched Abaranger vs Donbrothers and the characters seem really fun, so I'm interested in it now.

It's pretty fun. Has one of my favorite yellow Rangers in Ranru. She bucks what felt like a trend with female Sentai rangers where they want to be idols, but in her case Ranru started out training to be one but what she really wanted was to be a grease monkey.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I surprised myself really enjoying Go-Onger.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Discotek announced they're getting Space Sheriff Gavan and, well:

https://twitter.com/DurationIII/status/1744550594558169323

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

I couldn't agree more with the King-ohger praise, I spent this entire episode going "oh my god, holy poo poo, that's so cool" over and over and over. What an insane show. It may genuinely dethrone Shinkenger as my favourite series ever if the last episode is as good as the rest has been, and I see no reason to believe it won't.

Shinkenger was my first real Sentai series and while I think I rank Gokaiger higher King-Ohger might top them both.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.news-postseven.com/archives/20240224_1943313.html/3

The head writer of King-Ohger confirms that Rita is gender neutral in this article, going so far as to say ジェンダーニュートラル in English to refer to them.

I shouldn't have to ask but was that really up for debate?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ASJ should have stuck to knocking off check cashing companies or whatever it was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Also stealing huge sums of money from Covid relief funds

I didn't know about the COVID stuff. I just remembered when it came out ASJ had stolen money and people were all "oh no!" and the chaser was from a check cashing company and people were all "nothing to be done."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

This is apparently not a joke (King-Ohger/Dekaranger crossover special but Yanma will be the only representative of the former):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9F6I1Dwl1R4

Aw. Ayumi Kinoshita seems down for whatever usually.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Yeah, it’s no goofier than any other vehicle Sentai (except Turboranger which took itself fairly seriously as I recall). The main villain trio is basically Team Rocket from the Pokemon anime in all the best ways

Yeah, it reminded me a lot of Go-Onger (which is the only other vehicle Sentai I've seen at the risk of doing the 'this movie feels an awful lot like Boss Baby' thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Of possible interest, caught this channel is doing a retrospective of all the Super Sentai stuff in chronological order, starting all the way back with Goranger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQH4LyHFgGw