Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He should've packed the court like FDR tried when he still had a friendly Congress in 2010. Democrats are cowards who are afraid to game the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Obama should have offered to pardon whoever killed any Republican senator while under federal jurisdiction

he didn't even try!

Naw, but if Dems ever get a large enough majority they should def carve up new states out of old ones to rig the Senate in their favor. For example, every New York borough could be its own state.

The best way to get our dumb loving constitution fixed is to abuse its loopholes until even the reactionaries are forced to get on board.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Another example: If you want to get rid of the Electoral College, don't make the Interstate Compact an agreement for the electors to vote the popular vote winner, that will never get 50%+ of the EC on board. Rather, you should make it an agreement to legally bind electors to vote for the Democratic candidate no matter what. It's not technically unconstitutional, if the conservatives hate it they'll have to fix our dumbass system.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

The constitution explicitly forbids that.

Not true, you need the permission of both Congress and the state legislature. It happened with West Virginia, remember?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Hypothetical case, the GOP right now today does this in Texas or something. What happens?

It works. But they're not going to do that. We should do it when we have power. Its such an absurd abuse of the system that the only reaction is to demand a change of the system itself. Or to copy the move tactically, but good luck with that when we can add however many senators we want at any moment.

The goal, of course, would be to abolish the Senate.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Saying "The Democrats have been too focused on fighting racism to care about economics" is way too generous.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pohl posted:

Expand on that, because you sound like an idiot. Seriously, break down what you mean and give me a good idea of what you are talking about, or I'll assume you are just being an obtuse rear end in a top hat.

The Democratic Party doesn't do poo poo without decades of pressure from its base and good polling on the issue.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pohl posted:

Well, can't ignore that, this proof is undeniable.

I can't think of anything Democratic politicians have really done for minorities on their own initiative in my lifetime. The black working class was devastated by the great Recession but never got the attention that the auto industry or Wall Street got when the Democrats controlled Congress. Nothing has been done about mass incarceration or the new Jim Crow - despite helping to create the problem. They have been tepid in supporting BLM, etc. The country and base have definitely moved to the left in that time, but it is always the result of grassroots movements outside of the party.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I remember when they tried to destroy the USPol thread. Now there's like, 3 or 4 of them. We're indefatigable friends.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

LeJackal posted:

The gun control endgame is confiscation of all weapons except by agents of the state, and a total legal and practical monopoly of force without consequence.

We already live in a country where the state abuses its monopoly of violence. Turns out the reactionaries with the guns not only are fine with this, but helped build the police state and are its staunchest defenders.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

Reddit: Still the #1 White Supremacy site on the internet.

Yes, but its also probably the #1 Leftist site too. Since everyone uses it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Did tiny the brontosaur really have the balls to cry sexism over criticizing HRC's hawkishness? Jesus

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I used to defend Tulsi but the hits against her just kept piling up. First Zack Snyder, now this :sigh:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CineD gaslit me into thinking his films were subversive.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They dont make have any money and dont win elections, so the wealthy donor relationship doesnt seem to be a productive one for either party.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jesus Christ, I'd been numb to the mass shootings, but ABC was on in the background and they were talking about all the children who were killed and the family who lost 8 people, and just gently caress this country. There's nothing redeemable about our society or culture.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

she thinks the clintons or the russians killed him, i forget who the dumb conspiracy theory has as the villains

She might literally have known him, is the thing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Catching up on the news I've missed while I've been unwell and.. ugh. loving Rahm.

Why is this written in the most obnoxious style ever?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Keillor news is devastating for the 80 year olds who actually listen to Prairie Home Companion.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Minorities can be FYGM, but are pretty resistent to the particular strand of white racist FYGM that has infected America.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PA has a Democratic Governor so its not like the GOP can just stack the court there. The Governor will just appoint some temporary judges, right?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Hi, welcome to leftist politics.

This and also the comments on that tweet where everyone argues if its bigotry to call an old man "grandpa".

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

One thing that gives me pause re: open borders is the fact that neoliberalism fully supports it. They want cheap exploitable labor for a reason.

Oh, most definitely. Abolishing borders would apparently double the world's GDP. It might not happen in our lifetime but I'm guessing Capitalism will eventually destroy national barriers the way Marx predicted it would. Gotta boost those declining rates of profit somehow, after all.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The political Left was really born when Robespierre beheaded Danton for agreeing with him on 99% of the issues, but not in the correct way.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Consumption taxes are regressive horseshit, they were right to fight them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nosfereefer posted:

Despite the ridiculous racist caricatures this still manages to remain somewhat inspiring. You go crush America, you collection of a white man' fantasy, you.

Oh God, its Minoriteam.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

People don't lionize Hubert Humphrey, just the dead union busting, mob connected Catholic who enjoyed spitroasting teenage interns with his brother.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

50,000 Americans (and millions of Vietnamese) died in that war dude, no poo poo the guy who loved sending teenagers to get slaughtered isn't well-loved by history

....I wasn't saying Humphrey was good.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ofc James Gunn should be rehired. Are a bunch of SA Goons literally going to pretend they've never made edgelord jokes on the internet? Come on.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

*Fewer

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Personally I choose not to make light of McCain's death. Not because of decorum, but because of a superstitious fear of getting his brain tumor as punishment.

Its like not whistling when walking past a graveyard. Skeletons have power.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/Beschizza/status/1033519881268940806

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bernie is right about guns.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The NRA and white militias are reactionary af and America has a problem with gun violence, but you're a lovely Leftist if you want to disarm the working class. Gun control should start with the heavily militarized police and MIC, but the bourgeois state would never allow this and gun confiscation programs would be used as another excuse to attack minority communities and working class organization, just like when Reagan attacked the Black Panthers.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lambert posted:

Disarming the "working class" is the only way and would likely decrease police violence as well.

Oh right, because cops would never shoot an unarmed man :rolleyes:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Means-tested gun purchases, where you can only purchase a gun if you can demonstrate you're poor.

edit: redistribute guns from the rich to the poor with a progressive gun tax

Doesn't Switzerland have some sort of citizen militia thing where everyone gets a gun but you have to undergo training and each gun is registered to the owner? I think something like that would be okay-ish.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

When was the last time guns actually helped leftists achieve anything in this country?

John Hinckley came close.

e: Serious answer. There won't be any armed revolution or some such anytime soon but if you look at the crisis coming down the pipeline, where capitalism won't be sustainable in the near future (whether from automation, the collapsing rate of profit, climate catastrophe, etc), its pretty likely that the bourgeoisie will choose to genocide the working class in order to maintain their position in society. I'd rather the proles be armed in that case, tbh.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 28, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

New Yorkers are loving dumb

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hope Avenatti somehow gets on the debate stage and unleashes on every non Bernie candidate in that primary.

• Locked thread