Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Hey, did you know there is an election this year?

If you live in New Jersey, you get to toss Chris Christie on his big fat duff. That's pretty cool. You also get to vote for which Democrat you like best, probably. But I don't know a lot about that. I come from Virginia. And Virginia is a crazy microcosm of American politics, so everyone is looking at it.

We're voting for our governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general and House of Delegates. The HoD is gonna be a mess, since you have NoVA, where all the defense contractors and well to do folk live and vote en masse, vs the rest of the state, which is a combination of ideologues in the exurbs and the Third World America that is the southwest panhandle. Republicans will outnumber Democrats, probably, and they'll breed such amazing things as transvaginal ultrasounds and writing right-to-work into the Gospel of Matthew. Because of the population and voting advantage of the north, however, the executive branch is very much in play. After 2013, where famous Hawaiian shirt wearing and whiskey swilling on national television snake oil salesman Terry McAulliffe turned out to be a surprisingly effective governor, the GOP doesn't have terribly much hope of taking back the mansion. They barely got Ed Gillespie, a really rather boring man, past Corey Stewart, actual Neo Nazi. Gillespie faces current lieutenant governor Dr. Ralph Northam, who's also a boring man.

If you live in the general vicinity of Northern Virginia, hit me up on PM's. I'm gonna need help getting people interested in a drama-less but vital race. The left needs to know we can win fights in the age of Trump, and I'm gonna spend the next eight weeks pounding on doors to say Yes Virginia, There Is An Election, Now Vote You loving Prick.

This poo poo is what matters. Gotta fight for your own Street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Mister Adequate posted:

e; lol here's me pissing all over the mod's requests

SO who's gonna join the NFL boycott?

Being a reformed Washington fan turned Buffalo fan turned NFL ex-pat, watching everyone else come around must be what every other activated person feels like when white folk get hyped to their cause.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Paracaidas posted:

I look forward to Corey Stewart, proud of his southern Minnesotan heritage running against Kaine in 2018. I'm sure Sens. Franken and Klobuchar will be happy to enlighten him as to the history of Minnesota's confederate battle flag.

People will rally for Dad. We love Kaine here. He's a doof, and he's on the side of the doofus angels.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Quorum posted:

Hey, you forgot the two other most potent forces in state-level politics, the Actual Military in Hampton Roads and the unholy alliance of entrenched Democratic interests and teenage marxists in Richmond!

I had a threat about this stuff a while back but after the primary it sort of withered, as things rev back up again I might revive it.

You're absolutely right. I meant to put them into the next sentence and somehow never typed it! And we can't forget the good people of Roanoke, who are like Japanese WW2 soldiers in the cave. They keep fighting, and I love them.

My parents moved down to Hampton, and it's such a strange area politically. Pure Jesus vs huge government programs.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Presto posted:

If the Republicans had run their boring man last time they probably would have won. Instead they huddled together and chose a Christian fundamentalist shitsmear instead.

I know! That's what's so crazy and fun about Virginia politics. Gotta pay attention, because there's always something insane around the corner.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
NYC voting seems to be going well enough. I have a friend working on Khader El-Yateem's campaign for city council. I hope they win.

Quiet day on the electoral front. What don't we know?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Your Sunday morning Virginia politics update:

The walks are ratcheting up. The number one question is no longer "oh, there's an election?" We are now at "Which one is the Democrat?" 42 people came out to walk for the governor's race, and we're starting to work for Elizabeth Guzman in the House of Delegates race.

People are starting to wonder what the candidates stand for as well, and that's where it's fun to watch released staff learn. It's not enough to repeat 1-3 talking points that the home office in Richmond provides. You have to know what your guy is for. You read this thread, so you know that and I know that - you can't just say "the other guy is a shmuck, vote for me!" Teaching people how to use their own story to explain why their guy is their guy is everything. My job next week is to train / retrain everyone in the office to speak like a human and knock on doors like they're people, not just marching band teens with a script.

Side note: actually ran into marching band teens in Fairfax County yesterday. They were rehearsing their speech while walking to the next door. We had a laugh about it. Door knocking is hilarious and awesome. Democracy is awesome. Getting people to get down for a cause is awesome.

Last round of polling has Northam +6, and the Kochs responded with a $2 million ad buy. Northam apparently had a response to said ad buy ready to go, as VA Dems often do; they've even tactically positioned the response to run immediately after the Koch attack ads. It's kind of amazing.

The north is feeling upbeat. 51 days to go.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

empty whippet box posted:

A significant number of the doors I knocked on wound up being black people who supported rehner but couldn't vote because of past convictions. :sigh: not one white person said this to me. Thanks, totally-not-racist state of mississippi!

Last year was a bit of a bellwether for that up here. McAuliffe tried to restore rights to every felon who'd served their time and completed parole, and the state Supreme Court sided with the GOP saying he couldn't do that...but he could absolutely do it on a case by case basis. So the motherfucker sat down for a little while every day restoring people by hand, one by one. Two good friends got to vote because of that.

May you find a candidate dedicated to the cause enough to do some poo poo like that. MS is a crazy place (had a job down in Greenville for half a year), but there's a ton of good people that I still love to bits. And who knows? World's gone mad. Maybe you'll even win. Good luck at any rate.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Crabtree posted:

Is there anyone lower on the totem pole also running in VA? I want as much blue or leftism as I can.

Justin Fairfax for Lt. Gov, Mark Herring as the incumbent for AG, and the whole House of Delegates. Anything lower than that is nothing I'm being tasked with yet.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Khisanth Magus posted:

I will totally call Joni "I am open about the fact I am 100% a Koch stooge" Ernst and Chuck "I have the backbone of a jellyfish and am terrified of being primaried" Grassley. Oh, wait, that would be a complete waste of time.

Do it anyway.

They need to know that one person gives a gently caress. For every one of those calls, there's a hundred who think like you.

They need to know this will hurt them. Make them do the math, even if they still come out okay. Let them know there are consequences.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

QuoProQuid posted:

i have news on the future of the democratic party:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CDfhFfKSohc

gently caress this guy.

I mean, we all know his name now, so good for him. But at no point, even in the last five seconds of the ad, does he say what the gently caress he's for. I bet he wants me to google his rear end, and let me tell you. I'm not gonna loving do that. And I'm a loving junkie. Imagine what regular people do.

Comstock should've gone down in flames last year, but her opponent was every centrist Clintonite/Blairite motherfucker rolled into one. She even skipped her COPE committee meeting (when labor meets you and decides whether to stump for you) and called in an hour late via Skype. We didn't spend a dime on her.

She's gonna live forever due to an endless army of bullshit centrists. gently caress Barbara Comstock.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Oh my word he loving didn't.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Taerkar posted:

"Right to Work for Less"

Virginia actually has a swear-jar penalty for that phrase. Testing has proven that phrase actually works against the speaker, since it's snide as gently caress and doesn't change minds.

We've switched to Right To Work Is Wrong (less bad, but obviously not great) and "Freedom to Join Together" instead of unionizing (which I kinda like actually).

----

After last night's debate, I'm not sure anybody honestly shifted, nor do I expect them to. Northam stayed calm and on message, but didn't exactly inspire. Gillespie started strong, but got visibly flustered about halfway through. Only real gaffe of the night, to my mind, was GIllespie trying to well-actually the only man of color in the room what Confederate statues really mean. Just, you giant pill.

I'm worried, but there's seven weeks to go and nobody's gonna give a gently caress about that debate. So we continue to knock.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

MizPiz posted:

No, when the Republicans go, they're taking the world with them. The Dems are getting in the way of creating a real opposition for this, making them the more immediate priority.

What? No. That's faulty rear end logic.

Destroying the Democratic Party isn't the answer. Pressuring them, pushing them toward our needs, and replacing them with increasingly leftist members is gonna serve your cause way better. The highest priority is organizing a positive force - coming up with the answer that rallies people. And the answers are gaining momentum. Now it's up to us to set those people into motion. Like, just yelling "gently caress these people" isn't gonna do poo poo. You don't build up your ally, you don't defeat your enemy, you just sit there and bitch. gently caress that, and gently caress you if that's your only action. Get in the god damned trench and fight for what you are, not for what someone else isn't.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Inescapable Duck posted:

As far as establishment Democrats and their sycopants are concerned, there's no difference. Any criticism is 'destroying the party' and enabling Trump. They don't want leftists to gain power and they don't want to take a cent less from their donors.

Glad you didn't read the point. Replace them. Vote them out. You do that on the state and county level. Man, you should SEE the candidates in the VA House of Delegates this year. Union members, Latinx, my personal favorite of the trans woman against a Republican caricature.

There seems to be this fundamental misunderstanding that candidates for the House appear out of nowhere. Even the Tea Party came from something. The Dems have no bench. So stock the loving bench.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I was really hoping someone was gonna answer that guy's question about St Louis. I'd like to know too.

We can talk about Virginia state races too! We're in House of Delegates mode now, and there's all sorts of really good races that are going on, fully funded and backed by the Democrats and Labor.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Any US Politics? Y'all?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Koalas March posted:

Racism and the prison complex are US politics homie

also yeah again end hillarychat for the love black c4 jesus

KM I am DOWN for P-I Complex Chat.

It's the Forever War that sucks.

Has there been any reform in Michigan on that tip? Or at least movement toward it?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
62 labor people showed up to walk for the governor's race and for Delegate Elizabeth Guzman. Knocking on doors in God's country for a Latina union member. 62 people is insane, for the record. That's 2016 numbers.

Y'all, I think we're gonna send a message this fall. But I'd love to have a goon to come along. "What union is SA?" "Don't loving worry about it."

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So the House just passed the tax cutting thing by four votes and you all are still banging on about Hillary Clinton, huh?

Right on.

USPOL: Yes But Hillary

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

you can just post about topics you think are important without whining that the thread is talking about something you don't like

here's info for anyone who's interested: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/26/house-narrowly-passes-budget-moves-one-step-closer-to-tax-reform.html

I do. That’s why I went back to the Trump thread, even though VA Governor’s race ought to be here. It comes back to Hillary in here within hours. There are Star Trek threads with more living, evolving conversations than Hillary Chat.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Chomskyan posted:

Here's a tip for centrists: if you don't want Hillary to continue being the subject of conversation, stop defending the indefensible poo poo she's done.

This entire conversation about Hillary would have been over on the first page if there had been agreement that voluntarily associating yourself with war criminals is a bad look for a presidential candidate. But since you folks literally could not stomach admitting that Clinton was anything less than perfect, you made this conversation into a multi-page nonsense derail about whether or not anti-imperialists are really just closet sexists.

Most people in this thread voted for Clinton. Obviously that's because we were able to see that her horribleness was lesser than that of Donald Trump. So there's literally no reason to punch left with the frequency and intensity that has been present in this thread, and yet you morons can't help yourself.

Hi. Labor activist. There’s an election in Virginia in twelve days. Let’s talk about it instead, since it’s happening now.

Northam is up marginally, though not comfortably, against Ed Gillespie. It’s gonna come down to Northern VA turnout, like most statewide elections do. There’s a variety of crazy House of Delegates races, like the trans woman vs the man who introduced a bathroom bill (Danica Roem vs Bob Marshall), a Peruvian immigrant card carrying AFSCME member vs an NRA cardboard cutout (Elizabeth Guzman vs Scott Lingamfelter) and my personal favorite, a man who introduces working class legislation vs an Indian immigrant who introduced Trump at the RNC, a race that’s had almost $1,000,000 poured into it (John Bell vs Subba Kolla).

Virginia is the first real, competitive fight since the world ended, and the narrative for people who only pay nominal attention will be dictated by it to a degree. It either becomes “Trump Rising” or “wave begins to crest.”

If you can help out in any way, I can direct your energy appropriately. If you just wanna throw :10bux: at a candidate, I’ll find you one that aligns with you. If you have an hour to make phone calls, I can get you hooked into a virtual phone bank so you can gin up votes from your greasy computer chair. If you live in the state, i can direct you to a canvassing group that provides food and makes you feel appreciated.

Bitching on the internet is easy, unhelpful, and honestly a bit toxic if it’s all you do. But getting involved? That’s the good stuff. You might even make a friend. Friends are vital in 2017 y’all.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Chomskyan posted:

I think you missed my point and are being pretty condescending, but if you want to post some links about the organizations you've mentioned feel free. Literally nobody is stopping you from doing something productive in this thread. In fact, I encourage you to do so

Then ease on back with the centrist labels, my man.

Gimme a bit to get back to base and I’ll post some info.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, posts along the lines of "heh if you're posting about politics on the internet, clearly you're a lazy do-nothing" are really obnoxious, especially since they're universally aimed at the left. I don't think I've ever seen someone on the left attack liberals in this same way. I think it's part of a broader strategy to try and slander the left as a bunch of immature whiny children (contrasted with the calm, reasonable liberal who Knows How To Get Things Done).

I’ll tell you why my hackles are up.

Couple of weeks ago, there was a minor kerfuffle about campaign literature. Justin Fairfax, Lt Gov candidate, is anti-pipeline. LiUNA, the people that would theoretically build said pipeline, withheld their endorsement and requested campaign literature that didn’t feature him. So the LiUNA only mailings had one thing without him, and one thing from the VA AFL-CIO with him.

This somehow lead to leftist groups - your Our Revolution types and so on - to declare Ralph Northam a centrist appeaser who stabbed their ally in the back, and inferred racist motivation (Fairfax is the only POC on the ticket). They declared their refusal to vote for Northam and encouraged others to do the same.

These are people who fought for Tom Periello, Northam’s primary opponent and Bernie-aligned dude who every union endorsed. Since the primary, they have made no phone calls, knocked no doors, and done nothing but complain on the internet.

I won’t lie. I’ve had more goons show up via PM’s via these posts than leftists show up at my door. And I get irritated because our active base looks for reasons to identify out. Republicans, on the other hand, invariably identify IN, and I don’t know how to work on that.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Neurolimal posted:

What exactly do you want to talk about WRT the tax cut

because if you want we can just have half a page of "Yes. That is bad."

like, what exactly do people who downvote threads with actual debating want out of a D&D thread. Dadchat and Trump TVIV?

Keep reading and the question will be answered in time. :)

Anyhow, got a desktop again so here's some links and info

NOVA GOONS: COME KNOCK ON DOORS FOR DEMOCRACY

Saturday 10/28 & Saturday 11/4, 4536-B John Marr Drive, Annandale VA
Breakfast Provided, Technology Provided, Lunch Provided, Sense of Self-Worth Self-Grown

NON-VIRGINIA AMERICAN GOONS: MAKE PHONE CALLS FOR DEMOCRACY
Hit me up over PM, or if you can't, we can do it over email by request, and I'll get you the good good. Call union members and remind them to vote (registration has already closed, but in-person absentee voting is valid through the close of business on 11/4)

COOL VIRGINIAN DELEGATE CANDIDATES:

Danica Roem - http://danicaroem.ngpvanhost.com
John Bell - http://www.johnbellfordelegate.com
Elizabeth Guzman - http://elizabethguzmanforvirginia.com
Kathy Tran - https://www.kathyfordelegate.com

Those aren't the only four cool delegates, but they've stopped by the labor fed, they've been with us on working issues, and they show up when we need them. I've stumped for them, and I've been proud to do it. If you have a tenner to spare, throw it at them, because the campaigns themselves will greatly appreciate it.

WHY I KNOW AND SAY ALL THIS poo poo

For a little background, I'm a union stagehand who grew up in Fredericksburg, VA. I've seen unchecked Republican nonsense hurt people, particularly my autistic brother (not the kind we get rude about on the forums with, but the ugly, non-verbal, never-live-unassisted kind). Personal responsibility is a way to feel superior to others, at least in the way it's practiced out here, so I get into fights about it. My union sent me to the Northern Virginia Labor Federation to put that to work two years ago, and I spread that to anyone who'll listen. Facebook is a waste for such things; you know this. So when I get mad at people who post online and do nothing, there's a real chance I'm not thinking of you, dear friend; I'm thinking of someone else I know, and hoping that you're more willing to throw in than others. And I think you are. I've had a few people prove me right in the last few weeks.

I want/need VA to hold the line. We won all our fights last year on the state level. I think we can keep winning some more. Winning back the House of Delegates is a pipe dream, but our conservative estimates say we can pick up 4-7 seats. (Losing one seat overall would give the Virginia GOP a veto-proof majority, which would be horrific. I don't expect it, but unexpected things tend to happen nowadays.) It would take 17 seats to flip the HoD. That's equally unexpected. But there's an ocean of candidates out there - more challengers than we've had in decades, and a slew of first-timers into the fray. Some have picked up DNC notice, some have simply been supported by labor COPE committees. And some are just hoping to be the placeholder when the wave comes. But they're good people, one and all. If you really want to affect change, use Virginia as a reason to scare the gently caress out of the rest of the country's regressive shitheads. We vote every year, sometimes twice a year, so if you want to read the room, read my fair Commonwealth.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

LeJackal posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have betrayed Fairfax and sold out to corporate interests. It's pretty transparent that lobbying dollars are more important than representing voters and their interests. So why wouldn't people be excited and passionate about knocking and doors to usher in a group that dropped them at the first wiggle of a checkbook?
:iiam:

This is literally what I was talking about.

Justin Fairfax wasn’t dropped at all. Read my post. The mailing had two (2) pieces. One with Fairfax endorsed by the AFL-CIO, and one without endorsed by LiUNA. This is, and I’m spitballing here, a handful of of the over one million pieces of highly customizable literature we do, by district, by union, etc.

There’s not a betrayal when the mailing itself says “The Virginia AFL-CIO Proudly Endorses Justin Fairfax for Lieutenant Governor.” And since the Fairfax campaign came out hours later and flat out said “y’all, this is nothing,” why make this a stick to beat people with?

I mean, again, this is an excuse to be mad instead of proactive. I’m gonna guess, stop me if I’m wrong, that you haven’t lifted a finger for Fairfax either. (I hope I’m wrong, because I’m pretty mad about this.) And if you’d like to, since he is a proper progressive (until the left turns on him for his client list, anyway), I would be happy to turn you on to some folks so you can help him get in.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

wixard posted:

Jersey also tends to have the cheapest gas in the area, even though they're required to staff attendants so you can't pump your own. I've never understood that.

People getting paid while you post. They win, you win.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Radish posted:

What time is this one and do you need to bring anything?

Doors open at 0830, oo-rah speeches are at 0900, everyone is out the door by 0930. Fair warning: this week is the Annandale Parade, so 236 gets a little blown up.

You don’t need to bring a thing except yourself. We do a lot of our walks via smartphone app, which you can put on your own phone (it’s pretty small and sips data) or you can borrow one of ours. If you’ve never walked before, we can pair you with a veteran. If you have a friend, Bring a friend so we stop eating all the bagels ourselves. I don’t want to be fat

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Oh Snapple! posted:

I mean I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the Fairfax thing became a big deal due to pieces like this one that portray the exact opposite re: the mailing (and in this particular article's case, asserting that this leaves Fairfax off party literature in critical areas), and that's a dude who fully believes in the Bernie Bro. Trying to frame it as only the hard lefties balking at the news seems kind of silly when it earned some raised eyebrows from all over the dem spectrum, likely deservedly so given the optics of a black dude being seemingly thrown under the bus.

I’m not thrilled at the headlines. The WaPo version is particularly galling, since it all but admits the lack of anything substantial yet runs with “hey, some folks have decided Ralph Northam is betraying blacks and leftists” as a headline. The portrayal - that Root article specifically - is pretty radically inaccurate for the situation at hand, considering (again) that the Fairfax campaign was over it within hours and they campaigned together less than a day afterward. To me, it’s an excuse to yell Democrats Are A Waste without providing any sort of alternative. When Perriello lost the primary, the left went back to Facebook.

And one more time since nobody seems to care about this bit: there were two (2) pieces of lit in LiUNA mailers. One had Northam-Fairfax-Herring, one had Northam-Herring. It’s a scandal to nobody but people who want/need retroactive justification to not fight at a time when the fight has never been more vital.

Does that make sense?

Ytlaya posted:

Why is it that you're so mad at (people you blindly assume to be) inactive leftists instead of inactive mainstream Democrats/liberals? I mean, I imagine there's a heck of a lot more of the latter than the former, simply due to the fact there are a heck of a lot more mainstream Democrats than leftists.

Do you also get this mad when people complain about Trump and speculate about how most of them probably aren't hitting the streets? I mean, you could claim that many people are hitting the streets for that purpose, but the exact same thing goes for people on the left - there are just way, way fewer of them, so they obviously aren't as visible. In order for your particular gripe to hold any water, you'd somehow need to show that people on the left are proportionately less involved politically than mainstream Democrats, which is something that I find kind of doubtful.

And, all of this aside, I just don't see much practical use to this attitude. It's totally fine and helpful to be like "hey, I'm doing _____ and encourage everyone else to do _____ as well, here are some links", but there's a clear judgmental angle here (and, as I mentioned before, this particular type of judgmental attitude is curiously almost always targeted solely at the radical left). Not to mention the fact that I honestly don't really see what harm there is in people discussing/arguing about things. If everyone on the left just expressed contentment and a spirit of cooperation, the party would never move to the left (and we've even seen tangible results from the party schism in the form of the changes to Clinton's platform and recent rhetorical support for MfA). So I can't help but feel confused at the feelings of irritation and anger some people obviously feel towards the left.

I’m angry at apathy on all angles. It requires a bit of self care, since there’s a lot of it.

Leftist apathy gets me specifically BECAUSE they’re so close to being activated. They talk the talk, they’re well read, they know the lay of the land, and when there’s a chance to do something that moves the needle in their every day lives, they sniff and say “not good enough.” Having been in the trenches, to see some really valuable and insightful individuals turn around and do nothing - or worse, start fights where they lead OTHERS to turn around and do nothing - it’s bothersome. I want more from them because I believe in them as shock troops. Instead, they contributed to the neverending scream of the last two years.

There’s no harm in arguing about the future, but Hillary Chat, by its very definition, is a closed loop. She campaigned, and she lost. I did my tiny part in helping her carry Virginia, despite my misgivings about her, and it came to nothing. People lose and life shows up. It’s fine. But when things are happening in US Politics now, and we’re still talking about Hillary, it’s incredibly disheartening. I don’t want what happened to my parents’ generation over 1972 to happen to my generation over 2016.

One day, the past will get to be the past, and we’ll be a better nation for it. We’ll build something better. But we can’t do that without stopping the current awfulness. And that starts on my doorstep. Does that make sense?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I ain’t your shock troop buddy. be better if you want our help

You say that like I’m not asking you to be side by side. Where you see condescension, I’m telling you “we’ve got something here.” If I’m not communicating that well, I apologize.

Kilroy posted:

If you want leftists to work with you, support some loving leftist causes.

This is incredibly patronizing and dismissive. gently caress you.

I’m from the labor movement. We support leftist causes. This is astounding.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Look, the left is putting up some solid candidates in the lower levels, and it's awesome, because they're getting into the mix. They're gonna replace Centrist Retread #7 over time - not overnight.

These same leftists aren't winning primaries. The deck wasn't stacked against Perriello, but he went out there, and he didn't just go home. He endorsed Northam, and he showed up at the labor fed this past Saturday to get people stoked for Northam/Fairfax/Herring. There's people out here doing the work, and they're on your side, and I'm on your side, and the people I work with and work for are on your side. We all want better candidates, but we also don't want people who go out of their way to kill you, as opposed to people suddenly realizing you're going to die. I want better. You want better. Republicans winning don't make your chances better, they just make your life worse. I'm typing this in 2017, where living proof is coming at us every hour.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Fiveace Attorney posted:

Weird how the centrist liberal argument in here is the same as in real life, when your go-to party is in shambles you blame other people for not compromising. A compromise has two sides and the democratic party hasn't given anything at all to the left. They are telling the left to eat poo poo and like it and you expect them to gobble it up

Is that what i said?

I’m working toward less bad here. I don’t understand what appears to be an insistence upon all or nothing. That isn’t helping anyone, honestly. I’m not sure what, or who, it serves. Is it really better to do nothing? Is that the play?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

tekz posted:

The population at large is consistently to the left of the democratic party on issues like healthcare, at the very least. If they weren't a hollowed out corrupt shell of a party and pursued things like UHC in good faith, a large amount of people who stayed home in the last election would probably have come out to vote for them.

And now it’s 2017. What are you doing to achieve those aims?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Neurolimal posted:

If it makes you feel better, C-spam crossposters ITT are quite likely active on the local stage. They also had a major DSA recruitment drive and encourage donations towards left candidates.

It does. And I love DSA. They’re on the street doing the needful. Their tail light fixing campaign is the most simple and brilliant thing I’ve seen in years. Signed up for my local chapter, and hope to get out there with them once the elections end and I become a real boy for a few months. :)

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Fiveace Attorney posted:

The dems are too busy trying to win over conservatives to make any concessions to leftists or even liberals so I don't know why you're worried about our votes so hard. Hey, maybe if they go pro-life you can win over enough republicans to get some more power and make things incrementally better like you so desperately want. Well, women's rights are down but hey at least we got the other problems sorted out!

Ya'll are moving buckets around on a sinking ship. Maybe you should get on the drat lifeboats

You keep bringing up concessions. And both establishment and far-left are doing the same thing. “Why should we compromise? They’re the ones who aren’t doing anything!”

And you’re both correct. So what are you going to do?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

Like I hate to break it to you but the Democrats are moving the country to the right too. And quite frankly, they are the party with the responsibility to move us left, not the Republicans. Look at what is happening in California, Democrats actively preventing single payer from happening

Wasn’t that a terrible bill designed to fail in the first place?

So you want a party to move the country to the left. What are you doing to further those aims?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Fiveace Attorney posted:

Hey the other side is the one that needs my vote and wont get it. Fuckhead neolibs better change or they'll get left behind. They already are and if people die due to their pathetic platform thats on them and not people who wont swallow their poo poo

How will this attitude achieve your desires?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You're really cool and I'm sorry the basement crew are being dicks to you. The opinion of someone who actually acts on their ideals will always outweigh those of people who just post about them on the internet. Good luck in VA, and thanks for holding the line.

Thank you friend.

That’s really my only thing - go out and do poo poo. When we go out and do poo poo, good things happen in the long run. When we go out and do GOOD poo poo, people come around and keep the fight going.

Neurolimal posted:

Not really? It was fine for what it was, and it was possible to amend it further if there were any minor problems. You are right that the point of it was to bring it to a vote to see which democrats are problematic (a smart move on the new democrats' end, who had effectively ousted former party officials), but it was still very much a chance for universal healthcare in the most solid of blue states.

I’ll admit I don’t know California politics as well as I could. I’d heard it from a few angles.

Putting up MfA/UHC candidates in the House for the wave is gonna be a major step toward getting there. State by state is good as well, but tending our local gardens will be a great step forward.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Oh Snapple! posted:

Why are leftists - and only leftists - expected to compromise? Why is the responsibility solely on them, when they've been swallowing this centrist dogshit for the last three decades because they were told they had to if they wanted to win?

Aren’t you expecting centrists to compromise? Consider their perspective - they look at their two most left-wing candidates of the last fifty years (McGovern & Mondale) got utterly crushed. The things we fantasized happening to Trump actually happened to liberals in living memory.

Now consider what started this conversation - wanting people to go to bat for a governor who can win in a state where the alternative is probably 0.7 on the Gilead scale. Perriello went for it, and he lost. But rather than unite behind the best candidate left, Perriello’s supporters speak like you speak, and they do nothing to further a candidate he’s enthusiastically supported and stumped for. He compromised. Does that make him less worthy of support? Is he wrong to do what he’s doing?

All-or-Nothing is going to destroy this country for a century or more. The right wing has the ability to coalesce behind anything, and look where we are today, and where we’ll be tomorrow. What you’re advocating gives your cause less power, not more. And from my angle (Labor, organizing, so on), without unification for a common cause, you are hosed.

So yes. Someone has to stop being proud. It’s like that stupid argument you have with your best friend that could ruin everything. Without compromise or forgiveness, you’re just out a friend. gently caress that. I could use a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

I'd rather lose trying to do the right thing than go belly up for the whims of global capital, sorry.

What are you doing to further those aims?

Every time I ask this question, it goes unanswered.

• Locked thread