Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

We really need to do away with voting for judges. Probably 99% of voters have zero ability to determine who should be a judge.

Look up the Last Week Tonight on coroners.

You'd think coroners would need to be, like, y'know... doctors. Nope!

Any schmoe can run for coroner and get elected because nobody knows who the gently caress they're voting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Gotta say, I'm impressed by our big, fat, toilet-destroying governor.

(I voted for him, but still...)

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Gorson posted:

gently caress this person. The restaurant industry has been paying slave wages for decades and counting on customers to pay the wages. I loving guarantee they have been voting GOP and against worker's rights their whole life. Restaurant owners are their own level of scum.

If there was any doubt:

I'm going to jack off when she dies of pneumonia.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Big lizard-person energy.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

This might be bullshit, but my wife says she knows someone who works in a factory that does nothing but make sprinkles (like for cookies and cupcakes) and that they are being exempted from the order as "essential." I'm skeptical, sounds like one of those things from a forwarded email, but :shrug:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dexo posted:

I kinda agree that maybe Menards should not be allowed to stay open.

Walmart, I don't know if they should exist at the scale they do but I get the need to keep them open as that's like a grocery store for a number of people.

Menards is not what I would classify essential.

Hardware stores are being allowed to stay open, because you can end up like my sister-in-law in Vancouver, Washington and have two separate leaks spring (while you're stuck at home with 3 young toddlers) during all this poo poo.

Also Menards sells food. No place that sells food is being locked down.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Niwrad posted:

Don't forget to fill out your census.

Already done. :thumbsup:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sailor Jerry posted:

Our county has 7 confirmed cases and the local hospital is giving people with symptoms the runaround to avoid increasing the official numbers more (of they simply don't have the tests).

Will county resident here, wife works part-time at a hospital in DuPage county.

She began having a runny nose and sore throat on April 7th, then on April 10th she was violently puking, like five times in an hour at first, but then tapered off through the day. We called the hospital's COVID line for employees, her temp was only 99, so they were like "stay home, only go to the ER if she gets dehydrated."

The puking stopped, she was able to hold down half-gatorade/half-water, then apple sauce, then broth, then rice with broth.

April 12th and 13th, she says she has a "slight" burning sensation in her lungs, she described at a "2-out-of-10 on the pain scale." A few days later, she feels better.

April 21st, she goes into the hospital to get tested so she can be cleared to work again, and we're expecting the full-on giant Q-tip up the nose to make sure she's not contagious anymore. NOPE! They check her temp, go over the symptom checklist, and clear her to work again. No actual "testing" done.

I've heard of people being contagious up to 30 days after they stop having symptoms, so I'm not happy.

Oh well, hope I don't die!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Zarin posted:

Not sure what the punishment for not wearing a mask in public will be.

J.B. gets to rub his sweaty moobs in your face.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Welp, Dipshit Chud from my area is suing the Governor for “violating his civil rights”.

https://capitolfax.com/2020/04/23/l...to-block-order/

Also, his region just had a nursing home have 25 residents and 10 workers test positive for the virus but no mention of this.

He also spent the weekend going on a “common sense tour” where he drove around to different towns and complained about businesses not being open before going to Planned Parenthood and complaining about abortion.

At this point, just make it so that employers can't force employees to work if they don't feel safe, and make everyone who doesn't want to quarantine waive their rights to hospitalization.

gently caress these people.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have now witnessed conservative people saying that Pritzker is a worse Governor than Blago....

Nothing means anything anymore.

gently caress 'em, they'll be dead of coronavirus before the next gubernatorial election. The entire conservative movement has been reduced to a bunch of bug chasers to "own the libs."

Also, Prtizker beat Rauner 54.5%-38.8%. I bet he wins re-election with upwards of 60% of the vote. If the IL Republican Party wants to go the way of the CA Republican Party, they can please proceed.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

So what you are saying is that we should have just never shut down anything and just waited for hers immunity with just the small cost of large numbers of dead.

See, liberals ruin everything while common sense downstaters have all the answers.

Also, overrun the hospitals so that people with non-COVID issues end up needlessly dying because there are no resources available for heart attacks, car accidents, falls, etc., etc., etc.

I mean, that's what's going to happen when things open up. And then they're going to lock-down again until the hospitals are back to capacity (as opposed to over capacity). I'd like to think we'd only have to do that once before people would get it, but, well... I'm not feeling very optimistic right now.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:nice:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I wonder if Pritzker will do this:

DO IT!!! :jackbud:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sarcastro posted:

Uh, did officers not think maybe to go over and see what's up with those vehicles?

I think in general right now, the cops are being intentionally obtuse about the looting - responding slowly, playing dumb - to kind of show everyone what happens without them or when they don't do their job.

"You hurt my fee-fee's so I'm going to do a bad job!"

It's a loving pathetic tantrum, and we should punish them by loving with their pensions, taking their guns and tactical armor, and giving them nothing but collared shirts and billie clubs from now on.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

mastershakeman posted:

Also was the key figure in recruiting Alan Keyes to run against Obama

:nice:

I lived in Wisconsin during that time, and it was still one of the funniest, most lopsided things ever.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Orvin posted:

Comedy option is if downstate starts spiking, he just lets the locals deal with it.

:sickos:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

My wife works once a week in a suburban hospital. For a long time they had between 60-70 COVID patients every week when she worked. The last two weeks it's been 16 and 14 respectively. So it's better, and that's probably why poo poo's reopening, but the more lax things get, the more it's going to spread, especially if people aren't wearing masks. (I still see over 90% of people wearing masks around me at least.)

The other wildcard factor is that we have two major airports. poo poo's spiking in AZ, TX, and FL (amongst other states). People are inevitably going to come here for one reason or another, so it's not like we can separate ourselves in any way even if it were under control within the state.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Niwrad posted:

I don't understand why it is so hard to understand. We can go back to being semi-normal if we just keep a distance and wear masks.

AIN'T NO ONE GONNA TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!! :bahgawd:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

And right underneath that story...

quote:

McLean County GOP Chair Raises Concerns About Vaccine Safety
By RYAN DENHAM • MAR 9, 2020

The chair of the McLean County Republican Party is urging her members to lobby against a bill that would require incoming sixth-graders to get the HPV vaccine that protects against certain cancers.

:lol: gently caress her!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

"We have come to expect that from those that have no reverence for democracy or understanding of our country."

You mean like the Republican Party?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Not COVID related.

On 5/22/20, I filled out the online application for an Illinois Firearms Operator ID. It's supposed to take 30 days + up to 10 days for it to arrive in the mail.

George Floyd was murdered on 5/25, and after that the number of FOID applications went up from ~17 a day to over 4,000 in a single day.

It's 8/2/20 and my application is now "under review." I think this is the part that is supposed to take 30 days.

I'm in favor of the FOID, but I am concerned that the state missing deadlines like this is going to get it struck down in court, which I think would be bad overall. It's already been gutted so as not to apply to anyone from out-of-state within Illinois.

Not really any agenda here. I'm a little annoyed that I don't have it yet, but some days I feel like I don't really want a firearm and somedays I feel like I would be better off having one. (Never mind that the stock of guns is pretty dry everywhere). Also, if my in-laws catch COVID, I'm going to suddenly have a windfall of firearms to deal with, so having an FOID on hand would make *that* whole thing less of a hassle.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Oracle posted:

I swear they are hellbent on killing off themselves/their most ardent supporters.

Yup, definitely feels that way at times. Conservative death cult.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

FOID update:

I posted about submitting an application for an FOID on 5/22. It was approved and sent out on 8/7 and I just got it today, so... 84 days instead of 30 + 10.

I'm fine with it, they just need to update the language to say within 90 days or whatever. I'm pro-FOID, but maybe the state police aren't the best people to process it? I dunno.

Also, they never emailed me an update to say it was approved, just sent it out, so I was surprised when it arrived today.

brugroffil posted:

There are going to be multiple believers in that cult in Congress come January, lol

I couldn't resist replying to Kizinger's tweet earlier today:

"In a few short years, the majority of the House GOP caucus will be QAnon nuts and you'll be derided as a RINO.

Conservatism is a cult, and it's getting more cult-like every day."

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

All the "small-government conservatives" sure don't seem to mind the current administration interfering with our lives in a 100 little ways day-to-day.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

They only care when the government interferes with them making more money.

This post office thing is kind of interfering with a lot of small businesses making money, and I'm sure it's not just liberal Etsy dealers and what not.

Lotta Chudly boomers on eBay selling stupid "collectibles" that are going to be put out.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The X-man cometh posted:

Those assholes probably use UPS because they don't trust their Black or Latino mailman.

OTOH USPS is cheaper... so hard to get into the boomer mind and figure out if cheapness overrides racism or the other way around. :thunk:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Poque posted:

I love how they think it's a win that the convicted criminal supports republicans now

Yeah, it’s like they could have hung him around Democrats’ necks as a symbol of sleazy corruption, but I guess sleazy corruption is the GOP’s brand now.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Big Black Dick posted:

The only way to handle this even remotely effectively would have been to pay everyone to stay the gently caress home and the feds are the only ones with a bankroll big enough to do that. Obviously we know how that shook out. There was no correct answer on a state by state level.

:hmmyes:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Source4Leko posted:

Whenever I get called I just ask them if the flat tax is so great why have I spent my entire life hearing about how the state is broke.

:yeah:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I'm expected to go to a wedding in Wisconsin at the end of October and I just learned today that they have the highest COVID positivity rate of any state in the nation at 16.99%. :stare:

Yeah... no.

Also, I had an 81-year-old aunt in Wisconsin who died of COVID two Saturdays ago. poo poo's gettin' real. (I wasn't close to her, hadn't seen her in almost 10 years.)

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

WescottF1 posted:

Worked real well for WI. I think they're back to a double digit positivity rate.

Highest state in the country at 16.99%.

Time to change the Illinois state motto to, “We’re Surrounded By Morons”

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

That's what I was thinking of... Did they change it to "morons" in the TV edit or something? :cripes:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Lager posted:

This country is too stupid to live, literally.

Just imagine if there was radiation from nuclear fallout - half these motherfuckers would go sunbathing.

“I don’t SEE any radiation, looks fine to me! FAKE NEWS! :shucks:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Will County, IL ballots were mailed on 9/24, I received mine today.

Gonna send it back on Monday and hopefully it will be received by Weds/Thurs.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Yeah, there's a huge spike in Northeastern Wisconsin - Brown County (Green Bay) and all the counties around it.

My mom's been pressuring me to go to a cousin's wedding in Waukesha county to "represent her" ('cuz she's not going up from AZ), and last week Wisconsin had the highest 7-day positivity rate of any state at 16.99%. NOPE!!!

I have a feeling it's going to be even worse in two weeks. It's like they're just realizing poo poo's getting real now, so it's likely already spread to a whole bunch of other people who will be getting sick soon.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Ballot question: there is a spot for Ballot Code but I cannot what I am supposed to put on there.

I assume nothing. I didn’t see anything like that on my ballot, and it’s probably something for the Clerk’s office.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

FYI - Will County mailed my ballot last Thursday, I received it Saturday. I put it in my mailbox on Monday, and they received it yesterday.

So here, things seem to working as they should.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I put a card table out with a grid of painters tape separating the candy (there was a doc emailed from the city with recommendations that included spacing the candy apart.) I wore a mask and latex gloves as I set it all up. A large group of kids and moms came by early as I was setting up. They all thanked me for doing it, but the kids were wearing normal costumes, some without masks, and the moms weren’t wearing masks, and they were all walking together in a giant clump.

It was kind of weird, thanking me for my precautions, but taking none amongst themselves. Personally, I don’t get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Any chance the Fair Tax Amendment flips to “yes” due to late arriving mail-in ballots?