Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Question: why do the High Elf faction leaders not get fancy mounts? You're telling me that a random noble can end up riding a dragon but that my leader has to stick with a pony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Single-shot for the eagle bolts is also really good in siege attacks. It won't fire properly in multiple shot mode, but in single it can still shoot without hitting allies on the walls. Consistent 100-200 kills in my experience. The eagle bolt thrower is quietly a really good and cost-effective field artillery piece, there's no reason not to add one into every HElven army. I think it's better than the lizard's laser beam dinos at range (obviously less good in melee).

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I can't tell if I just suck or if Morathi's start in ME is really tough. Between Mazdamundi (and his freespawn 16-stack dino army) and the Light Cav Elf Princess, I keep hitting a wall around turn 30 where there's no real way to keep at least one of them from just rampaging into my home provinces - and I'm not really able to Maz in a straight-up fight regardless because dinosaurs.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Less blood mod for the blood and gore DLC is out.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1181459127

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Re: Giant Eagles, they are very much "one sucks, four are great" sort of toy. I've had a lot of success with them in siege attacks, to support infantry storming walls. They're also good at picking off artillery and archer lines. I'm pretty sure they're the fastest unit in the game as well, so they can break up flanking cav charges and go after fleeing flying lords. Phoenixes are, probably, better but eagles come online a lot quicker.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

JBP posted:

Use eagles as you would bats. Tie down enemy ranged (particularly in sieges) to give your line time to move up on attack. If you're defending just harass off dogs and light cavalry. They're pretty good at turning locked battles as well by just flying into the back of enemy infantry blocks to do a bit of morale damage.

They also cause fear.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

AnEdgelord posted:

Speaking of which i'm hype for the other Greater Daemons to show up in TWWH 3

ESPECIALLY the Great Unclean One

Now, I realize this is "quitter talk", but let's be real: that gaping wound in his stomach seems like it would negatively affect this gentleman's battle prowess. At the very least he'd be tripping all over intestines. Although spilling out a bunch of innards everywhere is pretty obviously unhygenic, so...

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i fully support finishing the Hat Review Series

The fact that it's not in the OP yet is borderline criminal.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Expansion be like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ju_10NkGY

which is good

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

DeathSandwich posted:

So it looks like we're going to have a pretty good swath of specialties for the lords so far. Luthor Harkon seems to be a Glade lord/lady style ranged skirmisher on a flying mount who's campaign buffs focus on elite infantry. Noctilus will be the heavy armored Vlad Von Carstein style melee beast and general poo poo-wrecker that'll eventually ride a necrofex and will buff the monsters in the roster. Saltspite looks to be a speedy glass cannon duelist that'll ride a giant crab and focuses on buffed out gunlines. I'm going to take a guess that if the datamining is right and we get the Silver Princess that she's probably going to be the Khatep/Morathi style uber caster with a focus on probably like the raise dead equivalent and buffing out the more core units in the coast's roster. It'd be kind of interesting if the Silver Princess winds up being kind of the opposite end of the coin from Saltspite in that she winds up with more of a core of traditional Vampire Counts units and playstyle, shot and cannons backed up with blood knights and vargheists sort of deal.

Not really knowing anything about the roster of the coast writ large, my guess is that in exchange for guns and monsters we're not going to see any cavalry in the coast's roster and I'd probably wager a guess that they're not going to have a lot of heavy armor infantry outside of things like the Depth Guard.

Yeah, nothing on the roster we've seen so far seems to be all that fast. They've got the crab mounts, but those might be classified as monstrous and be in the ~20 unit count range instead of the normal ~60. Perhaps similar to Tomb Kings, except with a slightly better but less expendable infantry core and slightly worse but more numerous monstrous units?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Whorelord posted:

she gets summon-able ghost brettonian knights

Excuse me, they’re *damned* knights.

Also, holy poo poo is her start going to be nasty, she’s jammed in between the Dark Elves and Lizards with no real safe place to expand. Actually, in ME, it looks like she might actually start directly adjacent to Mazdamundi?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I really feel that this whole DLC was spurred by some programmer at CA watching the Lonely Island song, organizing an office re-watching Pirates of the Caribbean, then someone just going "I mean, why not..." and tossing in Little Mermaid right afterward once everyone was a bit tipsy.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
No real cavalry, as expected. They seem like they'll play similar to dwarves? Except that instead of magic resistance and tanky infantry, the Coast leans into expendable tarpit zombies and even better artillery options than the dwarves. They seem like a direct counter to lizards (and, to a slightly lesser extent, high/dark elves and chaos), but will struggle against the mobility factions (beastmen especially, probably bret and wood elves too?). VC vs. the other VC seems like a very interesting matchup.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

ZearothK posted:

I think High Elves and Wood Elves will be their toughest match-ups, with Bretonnia coming close. The bow units will probably have a very good time against their mobs, infantry and monsters - everything is lightly-armored and the heavily armored units are either slow or large, which makes for good targets for AP missiles - and they can hard-counter the few mobile units in the VP roster.

I think the HE matchup depends on what the exact ranges of things are. The Coast can bring a *lot* of guns, which are all AP and should decimate your average HE goon assuming the Coast's artillery range is enough to force the HE out of playing passive. Of course, the HE player can just go with a bunch of skirmish cav and ignore infantry entirely, so you're probably right now that I think about it more. Actually, how *is* the Coast supposed to deal with skirmish cav?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Fangz posted:

Dwarves need to be relatively weak because they are the "low-micro, arrange your battlelines and let the enemy throw themselves at you" faction. If other factions that require more skill to use can't beat that, then that's pretty bad for balance.

Also Dwarves aren't the gunpowder race in the lore anyway. They may have invented the stuff but kinda the point is that they are held back by their traditionalism, which is why the Empire is pretty close/already has overtaken them, and why Skaven and Chaos Dwarves can outshoot them. The real core of the dwarves is their excellent heavy infantry and quarrellers in the early game.

Don't forget high leadership; every loving unit on their roster will fight basically to the last man regardless of what you do to them.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Take a look at the stream VOD if you can, there's quite a few other changes to Vampire Counts (and Kemmler specifically) that aren't advertised in the blog post. They've tweaked the tech tree, for one (FREE UPKEEP FOR ZOMBIES AND SKELETONS!).

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

oh my god I cried laughing

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Everchosen Invitational just went live, games all day today and tomorrow and they're on the unreleased patch so Vampire Coast and updated Vampire Counts will show up at some point.

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

edit: "all day" referring to US times, I suppose it's "all evening" for the Euro types

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Basically the whole vampirate army can vanguard!!

Only the mournghouls and the Sartosa Free Company, looks like? SFC are a lot better unit than I was expecting, I figured they were a T1 filler but they actually seem to be more of a T2/T3 meatgrinder.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I think they've just had good matchups so far. VSea has very poor mobility, and like VC are vulnerable to lord sniping.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Day 2 of the Everchosen is live.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Ravenfood posted:

Is it really Empire vs VC right now? Shame.

Tlaxtan plays to win, and tends to pick strictly meta races. He didn't take VSea at all yesterday, for example - although to be fair he only played two games.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
This has been a really fun final round. Going into game 5, we'll have seen Skaven, Bretonnia, TSea, and now TK will be coming up in the final game.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

lowest tier army failed to beat highest tier, dream is dead

He came drat close, to be fair. I wonder what, if anything, is tweaked for Skaven in the balance patch... the casters have done a pretty good job of giving some details but I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Of *course* Tlaxtlan goes with a double Shaggoth Chaos build. No fun, that one. At least we're seeing Settra!

edit: SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 21, 2018

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I get how cool that is but really hope it doesn't make it into the game without all other l5 monsters getting buffs too

There's other units that can do that right now. It was mostly just an absolutely perfect situation for that Mammoth, it charged directly along the long edge of the unit and hit all of them. I also suspect that the Depth Guard have relatively low HP per unit, because of their healing.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Wasn't the double Necrotect build relatively common in the early Tomb Kings days? Settra on his chariot was a surprise, but healing a Necrosphinx is just a good idea. And in retrospect the Settra choice makes sense, to charge around and clean up random infantry while the fat, ever-healing monster kills the really dangerous stuff.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Anno posted:

I wonder if you’ll just have to go really wide against Harkon. I assume he’s quite expensive, even more so when you consider he forces you to take a Captain hero for you summons/heals. Nothing he has is great against groups of enemies.

IIRC he was only played against melee-centric enemies? I bet he dies against ranged pretty hard.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
How about we get Dogs, Araby, and Amazons before begging for Cathay...

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Twitchcon tournament going live now: https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

Casted by Turin, nearly everyone involved was part of the Everchosen Invitational from last weekend.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
This Twitch tourney has been pretty great, there's not anything really on the line so the players have been pulling out a bunch of exciting toys. Grimgor got rocked by Royal Hippogriff Knights, Turin had to jump in to replace a player and lost because of Exploding Corpses, Sartosia now has pistol pirates and their previous axemen now duel-wield swords because CA Cares About Us, Queen Bess got >150 kills against Empire (but lost)...

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Fangz posted:

Do vampirates seem pretty weak in multiplayer right now? Is it just that people aren't used to using them?

They have a very obvious counter that nearly every other faction can do, which is "go wide". No one on the VSea end seems to have quite figured out how to overcome that yet. I *think* that's mostly a familiarity thing, or perhaps just that there's no real meta yet and the VSea side keeps just hoping they won't have to hard commit to dealing with millions of chaff.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

From that video surely bloats are your tool for handling wide enemies?

Only if they a) don't pay attention and bunch up and b) have zero ranged units.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Sasgrillo posted:

After seeing how CA has handled support heroes (Necrotect, Gun Wight) I kinda hope the Empire gets a cobbled together Master Engineer hero in their rework.

Also is it weird that the Bloodlines rework has me super excited for the inevitable Greenskins and Empire touch up?

No. Why would it be? CA has learned a lot since the initial release of WH1 about what players enjoy and what works in the series. Remember, for WH1 they were a little afraid that their main playerbase would reject the game entirely (MAGIC!?! In my spearmanii game? NEVER!) and were comparatively vanilla. Empire was basically just a normal TW faction, Dwarves and Orcs had one or two odder mechanics tacked on that were pretty ignorable, and only the VC were anything really new. I think pretty much everyone wants to see how Empire 2.0 might work after two years of experience.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Oh man, I forgot about that...

For all of CA's faults and missteps with some other games, I think they deserve a ton of credit that they've managed to pretty much constantly improve this game over their entire span. It's not always been a consistent improvement, but there's no question that basically everything is at least a little better now than it was on TW:WH1's release - and in most cases, vastly better. I mean, in a game with literally hundreds of units they've managed to have, what, like 90% of them be more-or-less viable in competitive settings? That's nuts. Each faction (and most subfactions) feels genuinely different to play both on the tactical and strategic levels, they're all fun in their own ways, player feedback is considered even for relatively trivial things (see: Sartosa pirates) and they've introduced a lot of stuff just because it's fun (remember they added unique sync kill animations because their animators thought it'd be cool).

The only outliers I think anyone would point to are the climate system and turn times; I'm generally inclined to think the new non-hard-restriction climate system is probably a better long-term solution as more factions have been added (and more intuitive for newer players too, no one likes areas they can't go conquer in a game about map painting) while turn times for the extra bonus map are a function of computing power and will eventually fix themselves from the hardware side. And, to be fair, diplomacy sucks but it's always sucked in their games, they haven't taken any steps backward there.

This game is CA's magnum opus - not even considering future additions or WH3. What could they possibly release that would more closely approach the platonic ideal of a Total War game? They could stop development, today, and it's no question their best game ever. That wasn't true for WH1 on release; it's been the intervening three years of polish and iteration that's brought them this far, and I'm excited to see what another three years might accomplish.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Looks like they're a bit behind today, but day 2 of the TwitchCon tournament is supposed to go live in 5-10 minutes:

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Finally live for the tourney, Turin's playing VSea vs. Empire game 1.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Mordja posted:

I like 40K and Fantasy, in different ways. Can't we just all get along?

In a game called Total War?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

thebardyspoon posted:

I really hope Empire is next up in the rework line whenever the next bit of paid content comes along, probably the Skaven/Lizard lord pack. They definitely feel the most anemic in terms of base factions since they all start in the same place. The death lady sounds pretty cool so I'd be pretty stoked if she was added as a new lord as well.

Personally I also want Beastmen to get some love as well, feels like they're a little screwed because they were the very first DLC faction (after Chaos I guess technically since they were pre order bonus dlc) and CA were a bit timid at that point, seems like they're missing a centerpiece unit like the Jabberslythe, Ghorgon or maybe Preytons. I guess they don't need any of those since they're considered competitive in the multiplayer anyway but for campaign it'd be cool to have something on that level.

The other thing with Empire is that the Vampire Pirates literally stole their entire campaign gimmick as like a fifth of the things that the Pirates get. The Imperial Offices aren't really that great to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Deakul posted:

I'm just getting real tired of seeing rampage mentioned anywhere without the word "removed" or "reduced" next to it. :colbert:

It’d be cool if rampage gave stat buffs. Maybe speed and weapon damage?