Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I love the rattle at the end of the War Hydra's tail. It really rattles!

Playing on Very Hard actually is very very hard, surprised at how quickly you get dogpiled and how hard it is to stabilize. Maybe I'm spoiled by having the first twenty optimal turns as Empire memorized?

Skinks are cute.

I really can't wait to blast all these cool new monsters and units with Imperial artillery in single and multi whenever it all becomes available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
People keep talking about how easy High Elves are, but I am losing in the campaign map because I don't have any money and both my provinces are on the verge of rebellion all the time. It's about turn 25 with Teclis, I wiped out the Xeti Guardians and took the ritual resource site from the Dark Elves but their capital is fortified. I have a stack of 15-20 Sea guard and archers, and have leveled up all the best spells. My settlements are all green buildings but I still can't stabilize. What gives?! Very Hard difficulty.

Also lol one of the Saurus Oldblood names is Sinclair, the name of the family in "Dinosaurs!"

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
ogres will be the main anti-Chaos faction

I really like the rogue armies but drat they will just build up until you wipe them out completely. Pirates of the Southern Sea got a chuckle out of me when they showed up with 15 peasant mobs and 2 mortars, but I didn't wipe the stack out and it came back again with 15 handgunners and 3 cannon. Where did you idiots come up with all those guns in Naggaroth? You weren't even raiding!

Also what's the most efficient way to kill Mung as Delves? Especially the horse archer and chariot spam. Just more and more Darkshards with minimal spears and swords??

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The Dark Elves have finally landed on Ulthuan but other than Lothern itself does it make sense to try to occupy any of it, or should I just farm the poor fools for slaves? Sacking cities is insanely lucrative.- 15-40k gold and plenty of slaves on all the cities I've encountered so far.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
OK what the gently caress is a Mlexigaur?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I really enjoy getting some mileage out of the ratman war-crime units in quick battle, but I was surprised to see several High Elf players trying out gimmick builds lately - one guy tried all Reavers (Gutter Runners are so good against cavalry skirmishers! wow!) and bolt throwers and another guy went with an infantry force that didn't include seamasters or archers. Neither one worked, of course, because I used to main Dr. Thrax back in the day and you can't trick me. Does the feed for Quick Battles go into Custom Battles or is it its own queue?

Another question I'm going to keep asking anywhere I can until I get an answer: What's a "Mlexigaur"?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Ze Pollack posted:

it is either an extremely silly british people injoke, or

Ahhhhhhh

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Pendent posted:

It's honestly sort of fun to play against those crazy army comps sometimes as long as it's not a frequent deal.

They should make the armies that spawn in during rituals way more gimmicky and flavorful, like themed TT armies. Make the campaign map stuff take a cue from tower defense games or something and have them give weird buffs to each other if they aren’t defeated in certain ways, etc.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Sad that they’re capping some of the really unique lord abilities like Liber Bubonicus and Spirit Essence of Chaos.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
If you want to learn how to use chariots just start using Doomwheels. Doomwheels are so good. I routinely take 2 in quick battle against just about everyone since who is gonna bring anti large against skaven? An idiot? Then I just drive them back and forth through the ranks. The synergy between gutter runners, Doomwheels, and artillery is real good. Of course it doesnt leave you with much but slaves to do the actual fighting, but who cares?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

pedro0930 posted:

I got a question with regards to road. Does the move range increase region only or does it effect the whole province? If it effects the whole province does having multiple road buildings stack?

Region only. No movement stacking possible.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Speaking of Brettonia, I was recently terrified to see a Star Dragon beat back a Paladin, two Pegasus Knights, and a Royal Hippogryph Knight without breaking a sweat. Granted, it had help from someone on the ground casting Net to stop them from getting a charge bonus but it really was pretty horribly one-sided.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I really, really love using gunpowder units. I think Skaven finally give the empire something to do with grenade launcher outriders!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Multiplayer needs a tiebreaker if you go to the time limit. I just spent 15 minutes brilliantly skirmishing, killed the enemy general without losing my own, inflicted more losses, etc. but the decisive engagement was so late in the match that his army didn’t break! Come on give me something here!! :argh:

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I’m really falling in love with Night Goblin Fanatics. They just completely own. Just had a match where my night gobbos killed more white lions than my black Orcs did. Also Grimgor is a loving powerhouse. Finally, a pair of Goblins stretched out in front of your lines will eat so much ranged fire, they rule

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

"NEVER ENOUGH DOOMWHEELS" sold me on this completely.

Yeah this looks like it's gonna own.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I thought the blobbing was intentional and part of the Skaven AI for a long time, since it makes them just wriggle all over the drat place in a gross ratty way

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Playing Greenskins on ladder is a blast, especially against Skaven or HElves. Dark elves I kind of dread and Lizardmen is winnable but a slog (there will be two carnosaurs every single time). It’s bringing me appreciation for some of their real lovely units, like wolf rider archers. I can’t figure out what the hell the teef robbers are supposed to do, though.

The other thing I can’t figure out is how to beat Dwarfs. Fighting those guys sucks! Are you supposed to stack gobbos and trolls? Even more Black Orcs? I had a match I thought I was winning handily turn into Thorgrim and two of his buds laugh and route 700 or so night goblins.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The grenade launcher outriders have a very shallow arc, a little shallower than dwarfish mining charges. Treat it as flat since they have such short range otherwise.

I still really enjoy using them but they’re finicky to get just right. They can work behind your lines for a single volley before fanning out to flank or shoot the enemy in the butt while they’re stuck in with the staties.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
A tale in free axe:
Act One: the direpack and varrack's reavers against some boar boy big uns

Act 2: Da Foot

Act III

lmao that spell owns!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Free Company Militia have the best hats, followed by Empire artillery crews and Night Goblins. It is known.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

Hats. We're hats. We're the hats.

Hats off to ya

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Stephen9001 posted:

I could have sworn they could, and also that Treemen were the only giant unit that could hide in woods.

I was under the impression that Treemen hiding in the woods were the stealthiest a unit could get (that is, shortest range to detect) in twwh1

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

Has CA said anything about adding naval battles in TWW3? I'm recently over my Rome 2 ramming PTSD.

I don't think this is possible since the rights to man o' war / dreadfleet are held by another publisher.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I will pretty much always take Grimgor in mp against dwarfs, skaven, other green skins, any other time I think I’ll be up against an infantry Lord or a high infantry army without much cavalry. Grimgor is very, very good and will beat nearly any character in the game in sustained combat. Only cycle charging by a high mass mount can defeat him. Plus he’s inexpensive.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
If you use global recruiting at the same time as normal recruiting you can get back up to a full stack a bit faster. Then you can suicide thousands of skeletons to get where you need to go. I have battle markers recording 7000+ casualty battles in some provinces, from the first 20 turns. Once you get 3-4 stacks it gets easier to just pile on with more and more skellingtons. Coming up with the money is hard but at least you probably won’t be having any public order problems so if you can just avoid getting sacked, every province you capture intact is a great return on investment.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
just give settra the big waagh instead of lore of nehekara

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

More or less this:

The enemy either engages your front line, letting your guns freely shoot into them, or they go for the guns and get melted by concentrated fire.

Thank you for this. What a nifty formation to use! New favorite.

You should definitely be able to do this with handgunners, I had a warpfire thrower get 120+ kills on swordmasters and white lions lmao.

Hidden star of that match was the warplock engineer I brought just in case we needed howling warpgale (we didn't). His ability to give a unit a shield helped keep skrolk alive while 3 high elf archers shot at him, and then the warpstone armor killed off enough dragon princes to win the match.

also has anyone ever made the joke "qawat al-NIMH" allow me to be the first

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 12, 2018

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Yellow line. 1000 weapon strength Grimgor or go home.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Jum-Jum posted:

"if you're hungry for more updates stay tuned"

Ogre Kingdom? Nah, too soon. Throt the Unclean? Beastmen Ghorgon? Grom the Paunch?
*speculation intensifies*

Gut feeling says it's ogres.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
So what I do to Kislev all the time as Empire if they end up with territory that’s rightfully mine: cancel the treaties and wait the ten turns, then strike as soon as they wander away from the territory - ideally when they are under threat somewhere else so you can restore the treaties as part of the peace deal.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I’m willing to bet money that either Ogres or more likely Chaos Dwarfs are going to show up before game 3; if you look at the eastern side of the map in Mortal Empires there’s already a big chunk of map where the Darklands are that’s uninhabited. It seems really weird for CA to put in all this empty filler space on the map that will never get used

I’m with you on this. There’s the huge death swamp area in the Badlands, which reminds me too much of what Athel Loren looked like before we had Wood Elves or Brettonnia. And the fact we have a little mouse over “unknown land” thing and at least one more race pack to go in this game, I think we’re likely to get another mini-campaign and even more settlements added to the ME map.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Pendent posted:

How are people so upset about this DLC that has a very reasonable amount of content for the price? I really feel like I've missed something

The more people want something the more upset they are when they finally get it, because anticipation is only limited by your imagination but the actual thing is confined to reality

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
If they do Dogs of War we'll at least get Ogre Maneaters, surely, right?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
You should be forced to create vassals to inhabit orange regions - or hire Dogs of War to secure them. It could generate combo armies depending on the default inhabitants and whoever conquers the area. I’m thinking rogue armies.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Kanos posted:

Gobbo King is one of my favorites. He's a pretty bad speaker(misreads things/forgets names/etc), but he's a fantastic player and often chooses weird unorthodox builds and kicks rear end with them.

Gobbo King is my fave as well.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
A lot of great changes but I wonder if they nerfed fate of bjuna enough.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Araby and Cathay and so on are way too culturally insensitive; the next game will probably just be daemons and End Times content.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Senor Dog posted:

Skaven should have a different penalty than supply lines IMO. They should be rewarded for having millions of chaff and fewer elites instead of the other way around.

Skaven units should increase in upkeep the longer they’re alive and refund food when killed imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Free Company Militia do about half the missile damage of crossbowmen but have a larger unit size, so they do about two thirds the damage (at shorter range) with melee stats comparable to swordsmen. They are really, really good in early campaign and autoresolve loves them.