Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Instead of rehashing the same petty arguments, let's post petty music instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXYl5NrHPb4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm pretty convinced that Trump is desperate to have his own 9/11. Or more accurately, his own 9/12, where everybody says "yes our president is an idiot but we all need to rally under him in unity".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Whataboutism is saying "I know we're all talking about X, but what about..." which is what that article is doing. It's not inherently wrong but in most cases it seems to be.

If I'm in the wrong here, then fine, I'm in the wrong. But that is whataboutism.

Whataboutism is a way of dismissing something bad by comparing it to something else. In this case, whataboutism would be saying that this shooting isn't a big deal because the one in Norway was worse. In the article they're not trying to dismiss the gravity of this shooting, but rather pointing out that more qualifiers need to be added to "the deadliest mass shooting in US history" because it's just not accurate.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Hey, could have made the headline: "America continues to be terrible, we've been murdering Indians and protestors for decades"

Instead they whataboutismed that point with the Vegas shooting

E; I'm saying your definition is far to narrow, this is it being used stupidly in practice not just theory.

Consider that, by saying that this was the deadliest shooting in US history, all the other worse massacres are being dismissed, minimized, or forgotten. And it really doesn't send a good message when most of those worse massacres happened to not white people. There's nothing stupid about pointing out facts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Donald Duck would be an improvement at this point.

His outbursts would be even less comprehensible though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/VP/status/917074120084516865

Good, please leave Indiana as quick as possible.

Aww, little triggered snowflake needs a safe space from free speech :qq:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Madurai posted:

Wait, Larry Flynt still exists? How?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're orange skittles too, to prevent scurvy!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:wow:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Haha hey guys what if we all wore diapers and acted like babies in public to make fun of liberals? Haha, like ironically. Hahaha.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

I find it simultaneously ironic and revealing that Manning's ilk call the protection of the legitimate exercise of free speech fascism. Quite the contrary.

Spencer is a Nazi piece of poo poo, but he is an American citizen and has all of the rights that that entails.

The problem is the lengths that the authorities are going to to protect his speech. $600k for security and a state of emergency is loving insane.

Like yeah everyone deserves the right to free speech, but when you're spending over half a million to protect the right to free speech of a loving nazi, something's really hosed up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is going to be our monkey paw wish for a military coup.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gosh, I wonder if there's something about the the widow and the congresswoman that makes them open to criticism and doubt by people like Joe Walsh.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Is it weird how few videogames we can say this of?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zeris posted:

Some enlisted guy is gonna get indicted lol

Yep.

Always remember the motto for this administration is "the buck stops anywhere but here".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

:stare:

I wouldn’t be able to not punch a person I hear espousing this poo poo in person.

Goddamn this is awful in just all the wrong ways. What in the wide world of gently caress?

He was no angel. Look at all of these pictures of him holding guns!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

If you are in
gently caress you too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

That is the cynic in me agreeing with that.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's still not as bad as "what do the tax system and the Legend of Zelda have in common? they're both old lol"

• Locked thread