Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

jony neuemonic posted:

"batteries included" is ember's entire reason for existing and it's a shame it's not more popular.

does it still have the problem where if you go 2 inches out of the happy path everything goes to hell

e: serious question. last time i worked with that poo poo was in 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

luigi is like that primitive technology guy on youtube, only computer

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
5.2- is annoyingly broken because it's npm

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

redleader posted:

ok so serverless computing/functions-as-a-service: when and why would I actually want to use these? why are these cool + good and why/when would using these services be a better alternative to normal computering?

lots of things you put in a message queue also go fine in a serverless dealio
which is good because message queues are founts of despair, especially doing ops for them

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

Lol Google just announced Colaboratory, a free cloud-hosted jupyter notebook environment. What a fascinating idea. I bet no other major software company has ever thought of offing a free cloud hosted jupyter notebook environment before; this really shows that Google is an exciting and dynamic company that is coming up with original new ideas all the time.

Also, there's a waitlist to sign up so you'd better put in your name now if you want to have a chance to use it before it gets shut down.

Google has more computers than God and loving uptime ninjas

A fact that might be of importance if you do numerical poo poo all day every day

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

whats a good pattern to teach somewhat new programmer (some r scripting experience, extremely good with sql) for multi-case error handling in python

e.g. what ive shown him now, for intuition's sake, is

Python code:
def findthings(foo):
    foo = None
    found = False
    if isinstance(foo, list):
       baz = foo[0]
       found = True
    elif isinstance(foo, dict):
       baz = foo
       found = True
    else:
       pass
    return baz if found else None
which is a trainwreck and absolute code gore in terms of code quality, refactoring, etcetera, but he has grasped this reasonably well so i dont try to overcomplicate things for his first time seeing python

normally, what i would do in that example
Python code:
def findthings(foo):
    # + optional assertions that baz confirms my expectations
    if isinstance(foo, list):
       baz = foo[0]
    elif isinstance(foo, dict):
       baz = foo
    return baz if "baz" in locals() else None
but there likely is something smarter people than me have figured out to optimally handle this

actual python standard is to ask forgiveness not permission
aka, use try catch
you may find this idiotic. in which case, should prolly use the type annotation instead of isinstance too much, make something like Findable which can be list or dict

why this is less idiotic than one may imagine at first glance:
1. you may stomp on the thing in threading so you'd have to handle error anyways
2. exception handling tends to be more durable. classic example is, what if you check existence of file but don't have permission, now you have to think of permission

why this still may loop back to being exactly as idiotic:
1. lol threading in python lol multiprocessing in python
2. better to annoy the hell out of yourself relatively early in development than get in try catch hell

in this specific thing, I would frankly do something for abstract iterator tho

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 12, 2017

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also if they're extremely good w/ sql they prolly actually know trivalent logic so you should disabuse them of that knowledge being correct in any other programming context

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i usually do type annotations in my own stuff, but since they are suggestive even if i will do Union(Dict, None) (to type it out quickly), the problem is the inputs, rather than the outputs. i guess i should have mentioned it before, that this specific problem is to assert if the correct output type has been achieved from processing variable input. for static checking in itself pycharm is fairly good with type annotations indeed (although i usually get lost in object hell when i end up with numpy arrays and matplotlib graphs every loving where)

try catch doesn't sound too great but i guess i could do, in second example

Python code:
def findthings(foo):
    #the double if
    try:
        assert type(baz) is dict
    except NameError:
        baz = None
    return baz
still havent gotten my rear end around checking performance on try/catch vs if/elif/else

perf is loving miserable in try/catch
if you're 1000% concerned about perf don't use python lol
or use cython in the perf bits or use numpy or tf or pytorch for numerical poo poo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

c tp s: set up a local ubuntu vagrant box for dev, now to figure out the raw disk access mode on virtualbox, or other (preferably, less room to gently caress up) means to plug an ext4 drive into this poo poo

the real c tp s is using vagrant in 2017

(lol jk it's cool and good and better than docker until about mid-2016 lol)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im not that concerned about perf. i just know that right now if/elif/else chains, even if i make poor mans case/switch statement with 15 elifs (parsing pretty printed salary range strings :v:), are fast enough for my stuff. in other words, it doesn't sound like i'm winning any points there with try/catch, so i might not need to bother. might just test this back in office

the win is by having lots shorter and more understandable code. sometimes there is not a win.

i would be pretty surprised if there was a perf gain from try catch blocks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im not holding my breath, 0-indexing is already proving to be a shocking discovery. not sure if he is good enough to make use of trivalent logic, but im not man enough to delve into thousands of lines long uncommented sql scripts

this statement is incompatible with the person you're teaching actually being good at sql

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ctps on my liberal arts degree having rear end

rando from the 80s published way to reduce hidden markov model to linear neural net by loving around with the params. basically when you need a probabilistic (kolmogorov probabilistic) transition matrix, you normalize w/ softmax

fun times: this is not actually a linear op. softmax is not a linear op
fun times 2: this is not actually, then, a linear neural net
fun times 3: lol mnist isn't doing the standard linear 92% on hmm w/ ergodic ansatz
fun times 4: I NEED YOU TO BE LINEAR RIGHT NOW OKAY

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

are you doing some kind of nlp?

mnist is pictures of numbers. but it's also from the 90's so it's gotten the poo poo kicked out of it

no, i'm doing basic research for fun

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

InfrastructureWeek posted:

i'm the terrible python programmer using locals() and isinstance() and concerned about if vs elif performance

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

are you stupid, since when a genuine "by the way i wonder if" is a concern? in terrible programmer of all places? did you break out of your containment greythreads?

the secret is that ctps turned into a greythread a long time ago

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

gonadic io posted:

YOSPOS > i actually have reasons to post here unlike half of the people with impostor syndrome

lol nice. would be better with "terrible programmers:" at the front though

e:

now i need to work out how to draw a border. i want the line to be inside the hex, so it can't be specified using the same coords as the hex verts i think

e2: also i'm pretty sure this framework doesn't support selection mode so i have to work out which hex gets clicked on directly from the mouse pos hurray. luckily the hex resource i posted about earlier tells you the math to do this

is the lowercase a's a nethack reference

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cis autodrag posted:

this was literally my job description at epic and while in a vacuum it might sound fun, the reality is that the software wouldn't be in that state if the business itself wasn't also terrible. your actual work might be fun but your life will be existential misery.

wasn't the reason your life was existential misery that the company was poo poo about gendering you correctly, or am i thinking of someone else

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Brain Candy posted:

i think half of my commits have v. useful names like 'pisssssssssss'

:pisstape: :pisstape: :pisstape:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Valeyard posted:

when we used subversion, nobody ever complained about having "subversion problems" in their day to day work

"git problems" on the other hand is rampant

lol
just lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
oculus go is about as good as normal oculus
it's at a noncrazyperson price point tho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
implement your own git client with git plumbing imo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so i gotta migrate a very pos python AWS lambda off of AWS by feb 1

is just shoving it into a GCP cloud func a good idea

e: lol GCP can't do python
hooboy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

won't it be overkill if i need to launch like 2 system services, open a port or two, and fetch some dependencies for all that jazz? also hopefully i won't have to do much of this any time soon since we're rolly with an external vendor tools to run my models as a rest service

alternative: fabric

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DELETE CASCADE posted:

stop doing heavy numerical computational work in python. just stop. it's wrong, you're wrong, everything you're doing is wrong WRONG WRONG

lol this guy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Glorgnole posted:

numpy's good as hell

in contrast eigen's docs actually have to say "no you cannot easily slice arrays here, sorry"

true as hell, good as hell
the non-tensorial matrix poo poo can go kill itself tho
.dot all the way

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DELETE CASCADE posted:

blah blah blah "it's a C library so really the actual work isn't done in python!!!" i don't loving care, if you are writing a complicated enough program that you need these libraries, then you should get as far away from python and other garbage p-langs as you can, as fast as you can. it's only going to get worse, not better

Acting like the numerical stuff in non p langs is worth a poo poo in any lang except Fortran

Lol working in Fortran

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I actually want to do some numeric stuff soon, and am seriously considering Fortran. Technically it was the first programming language I used, but uhh I was like 10 and mostly my dad was telling me what to type. What could possibly go wrong?

Lol working in Fortran

(What specific numeric poo poo are ya doing)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Just hobby loving around with finance. Zero need for fast processing or efficiency. Just looking for a 'fun' change of pace, otherwise I'd do it in go :riker:

Anybody using modern Fortran? Is it a horrorshow?

On the subject of lisps, try julia

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

It supports macros and you are expected to use the macros lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
here's a thing i've been wondering for a long time
is there a fuzzer that's designed to get bugs that are probabilistically more likely for random users to encounter? like, a fuzzer designed to help you write your normal tests and not to get weirdo secfuck poo poo?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

HoboMan posted:

someone is handing off an android app to me that has apparently been written in groovy. how worried should i be?

you have no chance make your time

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik posted:

i want react not-native, can i get that

just a react library that renders a native-ish looking ui using plain old html5

closest thing i've found is something called framework7 which has a lovely vue wrapper which is auto-converted into a lovely react wrapper. as long as i hold my nose and try to ignore all the layers of crap underpinning it all it seems to work okayish

i really don't understand why vue is so popular, there is literally absolutely nothing new or interesting about it and it looks for all the world like a piece of MVCrap from the pre-react world

react is good
vue is faster to write
forms in particular are ridiculously easy and fast to write
it has the actuality of what they thought mvc was gonna be used for back when they made smalltalk poo poo with it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Just like communism, right

(And this is from a guy who has a repo with planned economy poo poo in it right now, lol)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

same, i had to generate ssh key for them when they joined, much like painstakingly explain basics of git and gitlab, what cron is, and a number of other things any server-side focused it professional should be ashamed to have never heard about in 2018. also, a torrent of clueless questions like "cant we disable this ssh thing" or "can i check if vcs refresh operation in this cron worked via ftp" or "are all our servers linux? why dont we use windows? could i get a windows server?"

my favourite part probably was "i think this stupid ssh think is broken, do we really need to use it" *points at puttygen window with instructions in plain text stating that mouse cursor should be moved inside window to provide rng for the generator*

you should really really try hard to see if you can convince someone with the authority to fire them, if you could fire them

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

didn't someone else in this thread have literally this experience but with an emoji

they had this experience
with an emoji
in a bank

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

lol Zed Shaw

"not a turing machine"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

don’t use JavaScript

if you’re writing something server side, use a reasonable server side language

if you’re writing something client side, write a native app

there is no role for JavaScript in the modern world

mystes posted:

What year are you posting from?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
write one lang debug in another. best solution that one, isn't it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i got paid money like 7 months to do neural net poo poo
r's neural net poo poo, in absolute specificity (just neural net poo poo and no other specific stats poo poo) is really crap
python's neural net poo poo is pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

"deep learning" marketing wave shite sure, i wouldnt be surprised - i think all the big stuff like tensorflow, cntk, or theano all either don't have R bindings as such, or those were added at some later point - which is not surprising, given "oddities" of R as a language.

my job doesnt touch neural nets with 10-foot pole, much like quite a few other ml areas since what's hot in sv and real world don't necessarily intersect - i imagine, at least. for that kind of "classical stuff" r is pretty stellar in terms of lib/algo availability

but then again much like big data or data science, machine learning is yet another term that everyone defines their own way.

*with stalker accent* i machine learn engineer, i know how is fix all truck in my garage

google search is now backed by a fuckton of neural nets. facebook news feeds

i mean, it's overhyped, but it's not a flash in the pan

• Locked thread