Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

cool trailer but man every line of dialog they made hamill say sounded awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I'm glad to see that it seems like they'll be following up on Rey having crazy amounts of raw power.

i can't imagine they wouldn't have, it's the closest thing to a personality beat that tfa gave her

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

rawillkill posted:

You remember the Blade Runner 2049 trailers?

no, because they barely advertised the drat thing!!!!

(it better be good, i'm seeing it this weekend)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Phobeste posted:

How do you know the names of the gorilla walkers already

disney is v good at marketing

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

There's never been a Christmas special. You're thinking of the Holiday Special

never change jivjov

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

when's our hollywood gundam movie goddammit

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

The og Gundam Trilogy would be perfect in the right hands, god darnit.

america likes space psychic movies and giant robots in movies and movies that simultaneously glorify and condemn war

it's a no brainer!!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ammanas posted:

Tfa doesn't feel rushed. It's a profoundly boring movie, especially on rewatch.

it's boring because it's rushed, it's far more interested in speeding along to the next epic setpiece or OT callback than slowing down to provide a larger context for why anything is happening or characterizing any of its new cast(except kylo ren)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Unfetered One posted:

im the extremely Jewish little guy trying to swindle people out of credits

i don't recall any Judaism in star wars

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

That look on Dooku's face when Palpatine said "Kill him" is brilliant.

[record scratch]

Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got into this mess.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i adore 'they died' as an answer because it's really the logical conclusion to fandom-y treating fictional stories as historical documents and treating characters as real people

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't buy that, if only because I don't think you can create a series over the course of six films and however many decades and not take it seriously.

However, there's certainly a difference between him and the typical fan about what they find important within the films.

there's a world of difference between 'not taking it seriously' and 'taking it less serious than star wars fans' though

fans will almost always take a piece of media more seriously than their creators, because they haven't had the time behind the scenes putting effort into creating it to constantly remind them that it's ultimately a piece of art and not a window into another universe that just magically sprung up from the aether

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i would love to see what snyder would do with a star wars film but i would not love to see what disney would do with snyder's star wars film

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

this one tweet makes me more optimistic for tlj than any of the previews thus far

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it was a blockbuster from the '80s, we're lucky it didn't involve han secretly pretending to be luke to get into her pants

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

Luke never got consent when he penetrated the exhaust shaft with his laser sperm

rey's parentage is more complicated than i thought

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the han solo stuff really feels like lucasfilm swallowing their own hype about star war's importance such that a goofy dude like han solo has to be lionized way more than the original trilogy treats him

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

so is rian a gundam fan because rey and kylo interacting across vast distances and achieving a kind of understanding in each other that they'd never be able to do if they were just physically in the same space gave me hella newtype vibes, even for force stuff

and i love me some newtype bullshit

e: oh duh there's also some emphasis on like, how the past generation and the new generation deal with each other; although TLJ's 'it's okay to fail' and 'we're there to be eventually surpassed by them' is a lot more forgiving than the early tomino view of the near inevitability of older generations exploiting the young and perverting their near-infinite potential to be more than the past

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 23, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ah gently caress, i overlooked the most obvious anime identifier: wild colored hair

we did it folks, we figured out why some people are hating tlj: they haven't embraced anime into their hearts yet

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

lord save me from stories that give me everything i want + expect and not a drat thing more

one of the best things a storyteller can do is give me what i didn't even know i wanted

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

One thing that struck me as odd: Why are Finn and Rose flying speeders in the end battle? They aren't pilots. They're janitor-warriors..

i imagine there were more speeders than still living pilots left and they weren't really in a position to be picky

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Hux and Kylo being near explicitly coded as alt right dweebs is my favourite part of these movies.

Snoke is Steve Bannon

tbh i don't love this read because it gives the alt-right the importance they want but don't deserve

the first order effectively has control of the entire galaxy and vast military power; the alt-right are just racist internet shut-ins who think they matter because the guy they made memes of became president

(also these films haven't gone nearly enough into the first order's actual ideology for this to fit, they're just kinda generic authoritarians)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

beejay posted:

Is this thread referring to Finn as a janitor a joke? He wasn’t actually a janitor. I can’t tell if I’m being whooshed.

he was a janitor, though; tfa establishes this(that opening scene was his first time in combat) and tlj also references it when he mentions that the best guy to get them towards the mcguffin they need to gently caress with to escape is the guy who mopped where it's being held

the real question is why the hell did he go from a janitor to being on the frontlines

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

also on a more meta level finn is really obviously just a janitor because they wanted a former stormtrooper who changes sides but disney was too cowardly to actually have innocent blood on a protagonist's hands

so finn is in this weird state of culpable and not culpable at all

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i was being glib because the whole situation keeping finn's stormtrooper hands clean felt real contrived and worsened his character arc, i don't actually think it's a big mystery

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

McCloud posted:

That is the implication, which is god drat stupid. The democratic republic is just as bad as the fascist empire that blew up planets and enslaved species? What the gently caress? What kind of statement does this make of the people of the Star wars universe? Or are they saying that the Republic was also a fascist regime that blew up planets for fun?

keep in mind that the republic willingly became the empire and that the resistance and the nu-republic(did this ever get a name?) are separate entities

you could read a lot of different reasons into why the average galaxy-dweller doesn't seem to give a poo poo about the resistance but tbh the ST so far has touched on civilians so minorly all we can really go off of so far is del Toro's character who's such an oddball that he definitely isn't supposed to be the view point of the average person in space

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

that trailer is such a big pile of nothing i don't really have any more positive or negative feelings about seeing the final film than i did before i saw it

like, there are a couple neat looking ships and character designs in there but there's nothing really intriguing about the movie (except the behind the scenes poo poo) if i don't subscribe to the idea that han solo's simple backstory needed a generic heist film to flesh it out

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

i'm sorry george

please come back george

idea someone can steal: that lovely gwb merchandise with him looking smug and the caption 'miss me yet?' that started being a thing when obama won but instead it's lucas looking smug

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

why does his roboarm go OVER his jacket?

as if you'd hide your badass roboarm under clothing instead of showing it off to the world at all times

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Huh? All of Disney's Star Wars films have introduced new spaceships, both brand new and iterations of OT stuff.

yeah, they even made a new death star!!!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Nah, they haven't done that yet. Though the DS1 showed up in Rogue One

thank you for never breaking kayfabe jivjov

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

but if they do anything original they get called out for ruining the mythology.

feel like we're gonna have to wait for that to happen to see if that's how people react

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Putting a brightly coloured image inside words seems like a pretty simple idea that multiple people could have tbh.

minus the chewie one being a little off it's the exact same color scheme

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hot take: there's no amount of reasoning for overlooking slavery that will make it not an immoral action

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Phenotype posted:

It means that I think they were written poorly? I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, here. What do you think it means?

how were they written poorly? i think lucas did a great job of depicting the jedi as out of touch and too entrenched in politics to be the actual good people they claim themselves to be

the jedi ignore slavery both in the republic and outside of it and the eventual fate of 99% of them is getting shot in the back by the slave army they thought they had control over

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm still thinking about that instant space bread

not surprising, it's the most interesting part of the giant snoozefest that is jakku

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

See, I think Jakku taking its time to establish some setting and atmosphere makes it the best part of the movie. Once they leave the movie takes a marked downturn as it starts going rapid-fire from plot point to plot point with very little weight to anything.

yeah that's fair, jakku's setting and atmosphere just didn't do much for me pesronally

on an objective level it probably is the best part of the film for the reasons you mentioned

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Eiba posted:

That's a decent reading of Force Awakens, and that is how Rey thinks of herself and how the audience is meant to think of Rey. But then we learn that factually it's not true, no matter how Rey thinks of herself. Rey then has to deal with the idea that she doen't live in a fairy tale world where the noble hero Luke will help restore her to her proper station. Luke's an rear end and her parents were poo poo nobodies and she has to find her own way.

i mean, the only difference there in her assumptions and her real life is that she lives in a fairy tale world where she's the noble hero

it is factually true that rey is above all those scavengers because she's so crazy powerful that even luke is afraid of her potential

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

galagazombie posted:

The audience knows who Akbar is

this is an extremely generous idea

you are right though that that subplot of the movie wouldn't work with anyone poe knows though, as the whole point is to be another iteration of the movie showing how a lack of communication or trust can make things fall apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ehhh, ackbar was a meme back in the pre-facebook days when only very online dipshits like us knew what memes were

like, we're talking ytmnd-era here