Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Hobo Clown posted:

Been a while since I've seen ESB but aren't they the same dude?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

It is the first star war film since RotS that has interesting things to discuss beyond the plot level

Rogue One

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

People like Rogue One

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think Rey sexually menacing Kylo is the best part of TLJ, I hope they don't bowdlerize her character and turn her back into a nerd.

I want them to gently caress

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Gatts posted:

Kylo clearly needs to get laid. I wonder if Titty Beast on Luke Island is up to bring her milkshake to his yard.

Even tho Kylo is a psycho killer I’ll bet he’d still cuddle with Rey after they “did the deed”

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

While cleaning my house, I found a Star Wars fan comic my friend and I made in 7th grade (1996?). It contains such awesome lines as "DIE AT THE HANDS OF A SKYWALKER"

I was left with shame, and with consequence.

Post it

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

business hammocks posted:

And I’ve never liked the prequels but find the level of grousing about them excessive, as if they are fundamentally incompetent in the Ed Wood sense rather than being ambitious departures from some basic storytelling rules that Lucas wasn’t up to pulling off and which have some baffling and stupid elements peppered through them.

Don’t talk poo poo about Ed Wood like that

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

For as cunning and manipulative as the Emerpor was it was naive of him to think he could torture Luke in front of Luke dad and assume he wouldn’t do anything about it

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

What's Vader gonna do, get electricity jammed through his iron lung and die?

I think it's pretty fair that the Emperor wouldn't expect Vader to do something so incredibly selfless.

Because the Emperor was dumb. He made a mistake and it cost him everything.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The MSJ posted:

JJ Abrams did say that Episode 9 will tie in all 8 movies together.

I’m skeptical

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

homullus posted:

So, right there in the opening crawl we get that Naboo is small and outlying, and that the taxation was on trade routes to such systems. The Trade Federation stops shipping to Naboo. Very few protest lower taxes and the Trade Federation is greedy (i.e. wants more money), so the clear inference is that it is an increased tax on imports.

Wow. Riveting stuff. A wall O’ text at the beginning of a Star Wars movie talking about taxation and trade disputes.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This whole discussion is underlining how dull parts of TPM are

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

EugeneDebsWasCool posted:

This is how wars start. One of the big justifications for Japan attacking at Pearl Harbor was the US embargo on Japan and the breakdown in negotiations in 1940 and 41.

Zzzzzzzzzz (this is me sleeping through TPM opening crawl)

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

EugeneDebsWasCool posted:

That's nice. I was interested to see how a democratic Republic at peace for a millenia transformed into an autocratic Empire within a generation. I'm a history nerd and I love that kind of poo poo.

You got your answer. A trade dispute!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

-There are controversial taxes on imports to smaller 'outlying' planets.
-The Trade Federation protest the taxes with a legal blockade.
-The Republic commands them to stop the blockade, even though it's legal, by threatening violence.

That's the whole conflict, and it takes up like three minutes of screen-time total.

The problem is that you’re kicking off your new Star Wars trilogy with something so tedious

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

What does OP mean?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

The Trade Federation wants money and they want the Naboo to give it to them, in a legal manner. They are pressuring Naboo by refusing to trade with them (a boycott) and preventing anybody else from trading with them (a blockade). It's possible to pressure Naboo in this way because the Trade Federation provides things that they need; Bibble tries to get Amidala to come back by mentioning that people are starving.

The Senate established a tax (Palpatine says so), and the Trade Federation doesn't want to pay it (because they are greedy). A treaty is a legal agreement, and because the idea is that the Naboo would be signing it under duress, we know that it would be favorable to the Trade Federation, either an exemption from the tax or something that would offset it.

The presence of Jedi means this plan won't work, so Darth Sidious tells them to actually use the army that they are trying to intimidate them with, and promises them that they won't go to jail for it. The purpose of the invasion is to capture the queen and compel her by force to give them what they want. After the queen escapes, they hold the population hostage as a way to try to achieve the same thing.

They chose Naboo because Darth Sidious is from Naboo, so he could secretly play both sides of the field.

It’s all so boring.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

Hearing all that wasn’t worth it :smith:

My opinion of TPM has been diminished

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

To summarize:

The plot is poorly conveyed

It’s not particularly interesting to begin with

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Martman posted:

There's no contradiction in what I said. My claim is that you're dishonestly arguing in a way that pretty much requires a more thorough explanation, and then when it comes out you point to it and go "wow look at this wall of text! So boring!"

Not seeing a problem here

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

It is preferable to talk about movies in good faith, even ones you don't like.

Lighten up

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

wyoming posted:

I too am horrified at the idea of Star Wars for the children.

Yeah he sound horrified

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

It’s worse that people who proport to be fans are revealing that they don’t understand three of the films on a really basic level

The smug! I’m choking on it!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

lol this a ‘pro click’

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Jar Jar nearly got him killed and he saved Jar Jars life soon after that

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Crion posted:

He needed Jar Jar for diplomatic plot reasons and when Jar Jar annoys him he neck pinches him unconscious.

Jar Jar is annoying though. Wouldn’t you do the same to him?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

That DICK! posted:

I thought the movie stank booty rear end

It’s a tedious film with some truly awful humor. I shall never watch The Last Jedi again.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Polanski should be jailed but also allowed to still make films

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

jivjov posted:

^superweapon

I consider it a Death Star

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I prefer the reading that Windu had Palpatine on the ropes and the only thing that saved him was Anakin

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Mark Hamill is really, really good in TLJ. His meeting with Leia is remarkable in it's depth of emotion portrayed almost exclusively through expression. He's never been a great actor but his performance (especially given middling material) is shocking and underrated.

Truly he was wasted by the ST. Hope we see substantially more from him in 9.

Hamil is a great actor when doing voice work. His Joker perfect.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Qui Gon would’ve been completely justified just killing Watto outright and freeing them both. He’s a loving slave owner. gently caress him.

sponges fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 19, 2018

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Lord and Miller are geniuses

Lord and Miller were fired and publicly embarrassed

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

She's a really good actress but she's British, meaning that she doesn't give a poo poo about whatever movie she's in.

I hate it when Brits do this. loving limey bastards wasting everyone’s time

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Pops Mgee posted:

They each have one Sith Lord kill. Anakin technically has 2 but there's a 25 year gap between the 2. Given that there are never more than 2 running around at a time that's still a pretty good rate.

I think when Obi Wan said that the only kill they have between them is Maul, an apprentice.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don’t know who is correct here but to me it’s more interesting if Han is lying and the Falcon is actually a POS

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Perhaps she’s just aware of the events and hasn’t seen the movies because they’re not movies in her world

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

That sounds so much better

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

It’s a Death Star in all but name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

jivjov posted:

The Death Star was an artificial battle station; Starkiller Base is the planet Ilum an unnamed planet converted into a superweapon.

It’s so similar they might as well be the same. You’re being intentionally petty about this.