Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s ideology: to the fans, fascism is unnatural. It doesn’t appear as a result of systemic problems; it happens because of bad people corrupting the innocent and causing irrational behaviour. So doing away with fascism is as easy as being more rational.

So fans get badly confused that Padme, a perfectly intelligent and rational person, likes fascism. Even though the movie is about the rise of a fascist dictatorship.
So what you're saying is that the Star Wars prequels predicted Democrats being more scared of antifa than they are of Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The sequel films are a Twilight narrative, with the central joke being that the only Christian in the known universe falls in love with a woman who is, by all appearances, the Antichrist.
How does either man's Christliness excuse them slaughtering civilians?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I like that Snoke is just some rear end in a top hat like Palpatine, and that the porgs are just bilge rats.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
More importantly, the Rebellion leadership is ready to give up until the radicals force their hand.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Rogue One is bad because Jyn Erso makes lousy character Rey look even worse.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

General Dog posted:

Rey's essential goodness and empathy
She'd Cuisinart a temple full of younglings if the Great Luke Skywalker told her to.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I like the prequels, but whatever Lucas and Christensen were doing with his weird riff on James Dean is not one of the things I stick up for.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't know about the editing thing either way, but it's not as if saying that Hitchcock owes a great deal of success to Alma Reville is impugning his talent.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

The only real issue I have with the dialogue or delivery in the ST was when Leia had to say the word 'Snoke' in an otherwise serious scene. In isolation that line comes across as a parody of science fantasy.
Snoke is a dumb name and it's okay to say so. It would work perfectly fine in a science fantasy novel, but Jack Vance came up with a lot of names that would be silly to say out loud.

No, never mind, I want to see Kylo Ren go up against Howard Alan Treesong.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This is the kind of thing you should think a lot about if you're, say, designing a roleplaying game where the participants have a lot of time and a lot of freedom with the material, and are going to ask these questions. In a film series it's easily dispensed with.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

porfiria posted:

I would say anyone posting here has too much time on their hands, so post away with the mass to energy formulae, I say. It beats rehashing whether or not Qui Gon is a dick for the seven millionth time.
I'm not talking about time spent in discussion, I'm talking about the runtime of a film and time spent playing a game based on it.

If every superhero/space opera/whatever movie justified its magic to the satisfaction of folks like Dirk, they'd all be longer than the workprint of Heaven's Gate.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I forget where I read it but one of the effects people gave an explanation for the The Last Jedi bombers (and I guess the TIE bombers in ESB too) that I guess isn't perfect but I thought was fine for sci-fi movie logic if folks really need an explanation.

It was that the bombs aren't actually "falling" but rather have guidance systems in them that make them fly towards x designated target in unison in y pattern at z frequency to carpet bomb a massive surface area. In the Last Jedi the idea was that they take out the surface guns and that would allow their bombers to do the same to the top side of that massive ship,

You just described missiles taking out AA guns. This isn't "sci-fi movie logic."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

This is why the Empire was human only.
The Empire was founded by right-wing bathroom warriors, it all makes sense now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

porfiria posted:

It's really weird that an obscure planet almost no one knows about is capable of churning out a galaxy-beating army. Why aren't the Kaminoans a superpower then?
Why isn't Raytheon a country?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Dexster Jettster is a rockabilly scenester. Every Thursday night he goes to a different diner and waddles around to songs like "Come On Little Droid" and "Everybody's Jizzin'."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I just want to pop in to say that I started watching the Clone Wars cartoon and it's very cool and good. Among other things, you get a lot more of those little moments from the prequels that humanize the droids as sympathetic hapless dopes who just get cheerfully slaughtered by the "good guys." And long segments that more fully humanize the clone soldiers, too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Black "people" simply aren't human. If they were, it would be unthinkable that we let the police basically murder them for fun. That's scary to think about, so it isn't true.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Dirk, do you watch Black Mirror and just sit there saying "Yep, this is fine"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

CountFosco posted:

To compare "android liberation" to the emancipation of the slaves
Do you know the origin of the word "robot?"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This is like when Jennifer Hudson came up ITT. If you mostly watch nerdy dude movies, you could easily not have seen any of those.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The final scene in A New Hope is modeled on the fourth day in Triumph of the Will, ergo the Rebellion is fascist.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Waffles Inc. posted:

Say what you will about BotL but "they're dressed like nazis ergo the first order are nazis" is just about the lamest "analysis" of a movie
It's very weird when, to make their point about movies, people have to argue that filmmakers are dumb and don't care and audiences are dumb and don't care and Disney doesn't conduct marketing meticulously so the content of a movie is determined by "shorthands."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A problem with the First Order is that it doesn't tell you what it is. The Empire is an empire. The Old Republic was a moribund republic. The Separatists were a secessionist movement. The First Order is what exactly? No character simply exposits a comprehensive explanation you can take at face value; you have to do your own reading.

We've had this discussion before. The First Order rose "from the ashes" of the Empire, characters talk about it as if it's a small remnant of the Empire, but it clearly has this massive base of support. Meanwhile the Rebellion is over, and the New Republic is somehow a different entity from the Resistance.

A long while back someone likened the New Republic to the Spanish Second Republic and the First Order to the Francoists, which makes the most sense to me. The New Republic is a weak provisional government that has to ally with a non-state resistance movement to fend off attacks from a radical counterrevolutionary movement, which is itself just a continuation of the Empire that came before.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well there's a scene that's just Snoke having this explained to him, so how can you fault me?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Soggy Cereal posted:

It's also in the name. It's an order that thinks of itself as "first," as in hearkening back to a previous time, and superior.
If you want to get into details, the problem here is that the First Order is not an order. (The Jedi, on the other hand, are an order.)

Timby posted:

Analyst predictions, not Disney's. Jesus, we've been over this--that exact WSJ article, in fact--already in this thread. What is with your pathological obsession with insisting that Last Jedi under-performed?
Capitalism is my religion so I need its outputs to validate what I think is good and bad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Timby posted:

Generally speaking that holds true. If you don't have a personal attachment to something, you're more willing to kill the babies.
That's not how it worked for Anakin!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Terminator 3 and 4 were about the same level of quality as Terminator ripoffs from the late 80s and early 90s, just vastly more expensive. The ship kinda sailed on that one a while ago.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The guy I know who got to visit the set said Harrelson was just stoned the entire time. But you knew that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If you're going to be one of those British actors who just takes the piss in every movie you're in, don't be boring. Be a scenery-chewing maniac like Bruce Payne.

thrawn527 posted:

Also, yeah, as said above, the Terminator franchise was already at 50% when that movie came out.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love for someone to give Albert Pyun or Walter Hill like $100 million to make a Terminator movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Let's never ever talk about the definition of the word "mitigate" and whether or not something about a movie does or does not meet the definition of "mitigate" or if an attempted mitigation was successful or Jesus Christ shut the gently caress up, all of you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Based on what I saw in The Clone Wars and The Last Jedi, the Hutts and others like them might actually own many of the resources the Empire needs to built their war machines and support their troops.
This makes the most sense; the Hutts are just Daimler-Benz and Siemens.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

In reality, space is so loving empty. Real FTL space battles might just be jumping into the fight, firing torpedos and jumping away in like 10 seconds flat. Maybe once in 1,000 years some super unlucky pilot jumps into a star.
Sounds entertaining.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Bullets and trains aren’t sci-fi, on their own. What is the film saying about guns and trains?

With L3, you at least have the sub-Chappie joke where Kira apologizes to L3’s soul - the discarded, dead person - before ripping out a chunk of her brain. So, unlike Lando (and whoever runs the Star Wars promotional Twitter), Kira recognizes that the Navicomputer is not L3.
I half expected you to praise this one solely because it actually engages with droid slavery and the idea that the spaceships are alive.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Here's my class-conscious Zizekian Christian review of TLJ: The throne room fight was worth the price of admission.

God, I'd love it if somebody did a bloody mid-budget action film with all that Bava production design in every scene. Scott Adkins plays Diabolik.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

LGD posted:

the problem with this is that they deliberately set out to create a loving interconnected trilogy that would be released in short-succession from the get-go, so they absolutely should have someone imposing a unified vision of some sort - letting different directors play independent auteur with the main line films and clamping down on the anthology films is exactly the opposite of how they ought to be handling things
The Marvel films are a lot less unified than the marketing and the discourse about them would have you believe, and both franchises are making money. (I hate being that guy who just repeats that profitability is all that matters, so: I don't like it either.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Resistance is a resistance movement being funded and in some ways directed by the Republic. This is a real thing from history, like how the Allies recognized and funded the Yugoslav Partisans and the Polish Home Army in WWII.

I agree with whoever said that removing the "boring" political background from the sequel trilogy made these movies way more muddled than they need to be, if you care about understanding why anybody does anything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

tadashi posted:

Sort of. When you kill everyone who opposes you and then manipulate the public to believe a regime is popular, even where it isn't, then it's going to seem extremely popular. This is how fascist regimes work.
No, that's not how fascism works. Mussolini and Hitler were very popular.

PostNouveau posted:

When does a character talk about the size of the first order army? Also, they're kidnapping and brainwashing people, not recruiting them. Droids could do all the other work, and you could buy yourself a spy network. You're really seeing that the first order is well-funded, not necessarily super popular.

The kids leaving Luke don't leave to join the first order, they leave in the aftermath of Luke looking like he tried to kill Ben, and they leave with Ben to start some kind of paramilitary group the nature of which hasn't been explained.
The First Order's big military assembly is clearly meant to evoke the Nuremberg Rally, and the Nazi government had broad popular support. They have a huge fleet, and implicitly the infrastructure to support that fleet. The idea that everybody hates the Empire, and a small elite are ruling through sheer technological terror, just doesn't hold water.

(Remember when a teenage Luke Skywalker said that he hated the government, but didn't feel like it was his problem? And he also wanted to join the military? This is entirely normal from an American point of view. Perhaps many people living under the First Order don't like the government, but are jingoistic military-worshipers who don't want to join a rag-tag Republic that can barely stand on its own legs.)

The politics of the sequel trilogy are so incoherent that you can't really make sense of it without making some reasonable assumptions based on the text. It's easy to make the assumption that the Rebellion overthrew the empire, established a New Republic, and is now dealing with a rump state calling itself the First Order. My understanding is that that's how it works with the Imperial Remnant in ye olde Expanded Universe, but you won't find it in Episodes 7-8.

The truth is closer to the opposite. What is in the films is that the Rebellion assassinated the Emperor, blew up his new wunderwaffe base, and hastily established a provisional government in the style of the Old Republic. They're supporting a partisan movement called the Resistance that's fighting the Empire, reorganized as the First Order. But the First Order REIGNS.

(Also, the New Republic leadership and the Resistance are desperate to find the self-exiled Luke Skywalker. I'm not sure why. I guess they regard him as an inspirational Ho Chi Minh sort of figure.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think the filmmakers though too much about this, because they're telling a big broad story and didn't put a lot of thought into "how do we let everyone know the Republic is good and the First Order is bad?" Because, you know, even small children can tell through the music cues and actions of the characters and the things that the characters say which side is good and which side is bad.
If Star Wars is stupid and everyone who watches it is stupid, why do you bother?

quote:

On this, we agree. These movies aren't really concerned with the political stuff, they're more about internal and interpersonal conflicts.
This is the same lame defense for why the Marvel movies are so bad. War movies are inherently and ineradicably political, and you can't credibly say that a movie populated by republics, resistance movements, orders, and so on isn't political.

quote:

It's just meaningless in a universe where droid labor is abundant. The Trade Federation has a huge army too, but they seem to be about 5 dudes total.

With so little to go on, it's baffling to choose "Everybody loves the spaces nazis and hates the space liberals."
The Separatists had at least one entire planet full of workers building their droid army and developing the Death Star.

"A fascist government controls lots of territory and is popular" is much simpler to infer from the text than your idea of a small number of people running a galactic empire thanks to droid labour. That just doesn't show up anywhere else in Star Wars and doesn't make sense in these films either.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Rey never demonstrates that she wants someone to "rely on." She does demonstrate that she wants someone to order her around and give her freedom from responsibility.

tadashi posted:

On a separate note, if Star Wars fans are any indication, it is clear that the First Order came to power thanks to the popularity of intergalactic Whataboutism.
what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

e: Let's also note the bizarre conspiracy mindset here. "Clever little thing critics invented" is some really paranoid thinking.
Remember the good old days, before those dang postmodernists, when no one disagreed with authors about the meaning of their work?