Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Bill Posters posted:

The only offensive thing here is the abalone inlays. I see no other problems.

Well, we can fix that. How about covering them with fake inlay stickers of, I don't know, maybe a dog taking a poo poo.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dog-Squat-...Z0AAOSwmo5Z1EDQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Malaria posted:

This is how a totally normal adult male dresses

I wish I could say I've never worn a worse pimped out outfit on stage but it's just not true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

The Manta is the only guitar in the Minarik line that can "out-do" the Minarik Inferno in awesome tonal range. This guitar is the personal favorite of company founder M.E. Minarik due to its complex building technique and exquisite beautiful shape and sound. The inside of the body is literally like a beehive of chambers that has been tuned to make this shape sing like no other guitar you will ever hear. The arch top on a Manta, (yes, it’s an arch-top) rises and dives along the curves of the body looking much like a birds shoulders. This very special arch top is extermely difficult to make and must be done by hand ALWAYS. This guitar has the largest tonal rainbow of any instrument on the market and is truly spectacular to see and play.

Super Custom Series guitars start as low as $3,299.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

I guess if I was a dentist this is what I would have playing in the waiting room

Jazz Against the Machine

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

I've got a little bottle of GraphitALL Guitar Lube that I got, I don't know, probably back in the '90's. It's probably half used. You really don't use much. I apply it with every string change. Does it do anything? Well, it doesn't hurt anything. Strings hardly ever break.

I have a bunch of guitars and basses, and I rotate through them. When I do a string change, I put a little sticker on the back so I know when I last changed the strings (and battery if it has one). It's usually more than a year.

The D'Addario NYXL strings I put on my main guitar back in July 2014 are still fine. ( I should probably just sell the rest of my guitars which haven't been out of their cases in more than a year. I just like that one so much.)

On bass, I switched to Dunlop Super Brights a year or two ago. They do get duller after a few months, but they are so bright to start with that it's not a problem, you just roll off the treble a bit less.

YES, wash hands before you play and wipe down the guitar or bass after. It would be gross to not do that. Eww.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Ringo was the least over-hyped Beatle.

I've been playing some Beatles songs on bass, and I have a lot of respect for McCartney's bass lines. They are very well thought out.

A human heart posted:

But most free improv guys are very skilled at their instruments so it's not really a great genre to use for this example.

If I was ten (okay twenty) times as good at guitar and ten (twenty) times as creative, I would play like Joe Morris, or maybe Marc Ribot.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

...and the pitch! posted:

Are you talking about those Ibanez iron labels and such?

That doesn't look right the other part needs a finish as well

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

sporklift posted:

The opposite of stupid music poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT7x1NvGf5k

I mean, it is stupid good...

THIS IS NOT A GAME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJZ-7jwfQVQ

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really want barefoot buttons but they’re stupidly expensive

The plastic button toppers are pretty cheap on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-Foo...qQAAOSwnVhaOTkV

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

PTSDeedly Do posted:

I don’t know if this guy is stupid music poo poo but I don’t know what else he would be:

https://youtu.be/C98utqSisuM

That is the funniest thing I've seen in a while, holy poo poo

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

I hope Tool puts out an album with a cover of Smoke on the Water.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

What's the worst pedal you guys have owned?

Ibanez 7th Heaven pedal. I have never gotten a usable sound out of it. It just sounds bad.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

I saw that and immediately thought NINJA HIGH SCHOOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxiqM2UrXgw

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

quote:

"We are obviously not just slapping a Metallica label on a pre-existing mediocre whiskey," the band said in the statement, citing "several years of work" on "every detail" of the spirit.

Obviously. Obviously.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

It's funny because I have a similar guitar, but it's made by "FlipOut" (Dewey Decibel) rather than "Flipped." Could there have been TWO companies that made these?

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iKmv4sVnfk

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

sixteen string guitar, all high E strings, with penis inlay in the headstock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVMo4F2H0dY&t=1303s

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

I love the two seconds of this video (around 1:40) showing someone actually trying to play this thing,
demonstrating what an absolutely stupid concept this is. Wanna see somebody doing this on stage.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Chalupa Joe posted:

I started out playing right handed, and switching to playing lefty after a few months of struggle instantly felt more normal to me and was a heck of a lot easier in that it didn't feel like having to constantly fight the instrument.

Ditto, but it was after a few hours. It just wasn't going to work. I switched the guitar around and then it made sense.
I'm a lefty that's been playing left handed guitar and bass for decades.

Danyull posted:

I'm left handed and in 10 or so years of playing have never once even tried a left handed guitar. My left hand has always been better at finer movements like writing while my right arm is stronger, so it's always made sense to me for the left to be the one moving around to hit frets. If anything I feel like it should be the other way around for right handed people

There is more than one way to be left handed. Different people are different. I played drums for a while, saw no advantage to switching the kit around. I shoot guns right handed.
Do what works for you.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

The Mongolian folk rock thing that The HU are doing is interesting musically, but I'm really being put off by the swastika inlays on the neck of that one instrument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE&t=99s

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Flesh colored fingerboard with a pink head, ok

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Siivola posted:

Tone... turnbuckles?

They really tighten up the sound

bro

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Reminded me of the ending to that classic track, Earache My Eye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bGe4IuaOtw&t=292s

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

You know whats's not punk rock? Being a grumpy old fart telling the Ramones to get off your lawn

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

The Owls of Death Metal

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

tone quilts

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

LOL at the bottom of that page (below the pictures)

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

Donner, Ammoon, Azor, CNZ Audio and Mosky are all made in the same factories as Mooer, but tend to be $20-$40 cheaper. I'm pretty sure they all make rat clones, too. The only things they don't do well enough to earn a place on a board is reverb, but it's near impossible to find good sounding reverb on the ultra-cheap.
Ain't no party like a Donner party

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Bringing Custom Shop guitars into court, trying to sell them to the lawyers on the other side

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Hotel shaped like a guitar
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/guitar-shaped-hotel-grand-opening-florida-trnd/index.html

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Snowy posted:

You guys didn’t start off by tuning to one of these things??

I had one of those. It was... quite some time ago.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Rifter17 posted:

The last time I was on TalkBass they cycled from extended range crazy wood tops to anything other than a pre-CBS Fender is a joke. It would be fascinating to see trends as they correlate to the recession.
If there is a correlation, the current interest in Glarry basses may be some sort of economic indicator.

quote:

Any one else have a wacky collection?
Yes. My Wishbass, my Flipout guitar. And the ones I've modified in questionable ways.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Jr. posted:

Anna Karenina in the background giving you the side eye
Is it? Honestly thought it was Frodo

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Thinkin'' bout those hand grenades

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Combat-Han...c199a%7Ciid%3A1

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Just learned the simplest trick and the dumb part is how I didn't think of it sooner:

Instead of marking knob positions on your pedals just set them where you want, pull the knobs themselves off and reset them on the posts at noon. If they ever get knocked outta whack just set the knobs back to noon.

That is brilliant. Also a great example of thinking outside the (fuzz) box

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wouldn't mind it so I can turn off an od and distortion at the same time.

It's such an obvious tool that I'm surprised it's not more common

A loop pedal seems like a better way to do this to me

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Snowy posted:

Nah let’s talk about Electric Funeral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMiBF9R5o_A

I used to like stuff like that.

Now I am too old.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Why does the bass player switch basses in the middle of the song?

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

How many left handed goon guitarists are there? It seems like it's a higher proportion than the average population. Thus far there's you, iospace, and me, but I feel like I am missing at least two other frequent posters...

Oh yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Tell us more about this magnificent creature.

Sure. This is the Stupid Music poo poo.

I bought a very cheap black guitar back a long time ago, probably in the eighties. Some time in the nineties I saw a museum exhibit that for some reason inspired me to do some carving. Not something that I knew anything about, but how hard could it be, right? I started cutting up that guitar. The great majority of the carving was done by hand with a razor blade.

As it was an extremely cheap guitar, the body was made out of plywood. You see where the different layers have been cut through.

Maybe 15 or 20 years later, I did this one:

Oh yeah, and a bass I did around 2000: