Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
This thread is a window into... something. I don't even know.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/i-back-a-hot-singerbabe-club-part-deux.946056/page-83

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

The Muppets On PCP posted:

real life rigsofdad objectifying band mates half their age

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i was drunk one night watching low-budget regional pro wrestling. it went off and an infomercial for some vape device came on and one of the customer testimonials was this goonlord with a newsboy cap and sure enough he mentions he plays bass and i thought holy gently caress those people have insanely precise market research

I legitimately cannot tell if this is the same dude from that last pic or not

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

stillvisions posted:

I was thinking something more like...

Frank Zappa is the Rick and Morty of music: there's some great stuff, there's some not-so-great stuff, and there's a whole lot of smug rear end in a top hat fans out there who worship the wrong parts and think the shock humor is what makes it great.

I get the impression that there are a lot of people out there enjoying Rick and Morty and never talking about it purely because the people who talk about it a lot are so unbelievably awful.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Does anyone know an antidote for excessive tone chasing/GAS? I ask here because this seems like a place where the superstition and quackery surrounding *tone magic,* and the excesses of unskilled suburban dorks with ludicrously expensive gear are rightly mocked.

I'm able to get tones in the neighborhood of what I would consider ideal, enough so that any changes for the better would necessarily be pretty subtle. Intellectually I know this. I know that more time spent practicing and learning does far more for how good I sound than any piece of gear possibly could. But man, I have to fight it all the time. It's not that I'm constantly buying stuff or blowing tons of money, I'm really not. it's more that I carry around this really stupid anxiety about what if that perfect tone really is attainable and I've just got the wrong gear? What if my tone would be tighter with more defined attack if I had a maple fretboard instead of rosewood? What if my amp is too boomy and I need a different one? What if I really need a j-bass to help me cut through more or a stingray to give me more tight punch? What if my stock pickup is inferior and I need to replace it? If I don't try every compressor on earth, how will I know if I'm living my best bass life? And so on and so forth.

This is made worse because I'm very bad at sensing how something is going to sound at full rehearsal/performance volume in a band mix based on how it sounds on its own at a reasonable level. So even though I can go try out some of these things at a store, it's not all that informative when I do.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

GreatGreen posted:

Either way though, if I had to waste some time with guitar and not playing, I'd rather spend it turning knobs and learning what happens than just sort of vaguely wondering about what mysterious and elusive piece of gear I might get next that will totally change my sound for real this time.

Oh, I tweak knobs plenty hunting for the perfect combination of eq and pedal settings. But that's the whole thing, I don't even want to totally change my sound, I just want to enhance and perfect the sound I'm already getting.

If it was cooking instead of music, it'd be like if I wanted to make fettucini alfredo and I've made some and I'm enjoying it. It's good, and I'm certainly not tempted to throw the whole thing out and try to make spaghetti with marinara instead. But I let myself get weirdly fixated on how maybe my fettucini would be even better if the sauce was just a little bit thicker and I used a parmesan that was just a little bit sharper and there was a just hint of basil, and some fresh cracked pepper... What I have is totally good, hitting the spot even, but what if it could be tweaked ever so slightly here and there to become exquisite, you know? And oh poo poo now I've put my money and my time into making this merely good fettucini, what if I could have been eating the fettucini of my dreams at this very moment but I failed to buy all of the exact right ingredients and now I'm missing out? So I read a bunch of people's opinions online about what really puts fettucini over the top and I end up wondering if maybe I really do need to just shell out for a little bottle of expensive truffle oil and that's going to make it all come together for me.

Oh, and also an axe-fx costs more than all my current gear put together. So that's kind of like buying an industrial stove and a bunch of expensive chef's knives when really I'm just trying to figure out how to tweak my fettucini recipe to get it just so.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 11, 2018

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kjetting posted:

I'm with you here. I'm as big a feminist as they come, but Steel Panther is a pretty spot on parody of what bands like Poison would sound like if they were writing honest lyrics instead of the ones that would get them laid where they try to sound like normal humans with feelings and stuff. A Steel Panther signature anything would have to have a name either referencing their own rock hard genitals or the lady parts they almost literally drown in from all the flowing juices.

It's like taking Spinal Tap at face value and getting mad about the lyrics to "Sex Farm." I have to think the people getting mad are less than familiar with the context here. But maybe that's the problem, putting it up on the website with every other effects preset is kind of removing it from that context and I can see how someone coming across it by chance would be like "what the gently caress am I even reading right now?" Still though, you'd think someone would google the artist in question before starting an online petition.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The only stupid thing about it is that you're going to break it when you step on it.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Shugojin posted:

Yeah have you ever picked up an OG game boy? That fucker is more solid than some of the metal chassis they use in real pedals

I mean I did when I had one way back in the day, not any time recently though. I'm sure even back then I would have assumed that a grown man stomping on it would damage it, perhaps I'm wrong.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Short of in ear monitors, do they really make earplugs that let the sound come through evenly across the spectrum? I usually wear my hear-o’s anyway because I don’t want to be deaf, and they’re clearly better than the little foam ones, but it’s just a fact that I like the sound I’m putting out 10x better without them. And that’s where so much of the enjoyment and encouragement comes from.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Someone being rude and providing poor customer service is a plenty good reason to choose not to do business with them, but if that's all it is I don't think it's bad enough that you need to feel ethically conflicted about giving them your money. I'm sure we've all encountered some variation of the "soup nazi" or "Dr. House" archetype, where someone is known to be a jerk but they provide a quality product/service so people choose to put up with it.

All that said, I don't know why you wouldn't just buy used anyway.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I'm the random plastic flosser among the synth-shards

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Laserjet 4P posted:

e: "actually, it's Ephiphone?"

I also do not get the joke

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I pretty much just use cheap cables off Amazon and I've gotten one or two that were sort of dodgy from the start (would get crackly and/or cut out if jostled), and I've had others eventually get that way after a lot of use but when they work they just seem to work. I assume if I spent a little more the QC/build quality would be a bit better, but is there any actual upgrade in the technology that can be worthwhile?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I’d never heard his actual music before and when you said he couldn’t play I assumed you just meant he wasn’t particularly good but lmao

https://youtu.be/S_nrIS_sFxI

How much did he spend on that guitar?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Omg he was on Judge Judy and it is wall-to-wall cringe

https://vimeo.com/151709572

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
To be fair, that is traditionally how a Texas Salad is prepared tableside, but nowadays most places just have the server huffing paint on roller skates unless it’s an extremely formal occasion.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

BonHair posted:

Not to mention that Fender is basically the default option for basses, which Yngwie probably didn't influence.

It’s pretty ludicrous that Leo Fender designed the P-bass, the J-bass, and the Stingray. Seems like >90% of bass players play one of those or something based on one of those designs.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Relics are stupid. At best it’s like paying to have a Fender logo put on your Squier headstock. You’re trying to pass it off as something it’s not. Sticker bombing or rattle canning/stenciling or destructive stage antics or similar ways of deliberately marring your gear’s pristine look is one thing. Paying the Fender Custom Shop a zillion dollars to painstakingly simulate the look of an actual vintage instrument played for decades is in fact poser poo poo.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
What’s extra dumb is the dudes (let’s be honest it’s almost exclusively dudes) who pay a lot extra for instruments that look beat up would likely not consider buying actual beat up instruments from a pawnshop or whatever. They want a brand new high-end instrument that comes with a Fender factory warranty, they just want it to look like it’s seen things and been places.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
lol after getting dunked on for a couple weeks they just put out the most garbled and meaningless apology(?) and tried to blame the litigious approach on prior leadership

which would work better if their new guy hadn't put out a video like a month ago about how everyone better buckle up because here comes Gibson to sue all your asses

https://guitar.com/news/gibson-breaks-silence-on-lawsuits/

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

hexwren posted:

It's like the Denny's of bands

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I swear to god that is real. Denny's literally sold Hooburrito by Hoobastank and and "Taking Back Bacon Burger Fries" by Taking Back Sunday.

The best part is if you consider this an attempt to render the essence of these bands in the form of a dish it is like the most brutal own imaginable. "Hmm yes we feel that your music is the equivalent of chicken fingers and velveeta in a tortilla, served with a side of ranch."

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
and for some reason rounding out the bunch was Katy Perry, pictured here being held at gunpoint in a Denny's

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
So the triple neck JEM, it’s a 12-string, a 6-string, and... a hardtail 6-string?

E: oh poo poo is that fretless?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I like that the one guy is conveying his support for Trump simply by being old and white

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

ASenileAnimal posted:

one of the perks of picking up the bass when korn was at the height of their popularity was being able to downtune it and do the fieldy thing and not have my non musician friends realize i had no idea what i was doing.

I didn't understand string gauges and poo poo as a teen back then so I was like huh when I tune down to B my strings get all floppy I guess you have to have one of those 5-strings like all the nu-metal dudes do for it to be able to go that low. And I mean it kind of makes sense if you assume professional musicians understand how their instruments work, why else would they all be playing basses with an extra string when they only use two of the five?

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 30, 2019

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Wark Say posted:

That's why I kind of respect when bass players like John Campbell or Steve DiGiorgio just say "gently caress, who are we fooling here?" and straight up just use 3 strings on their basses.

At least when Robert Trujillo's 12 year-old took over for Fieldy on a Korn tour (lol) he didn't put on airs

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Siivola posted:

Well it's not like anyone who'd pay that kind of money for an amp actually gigs anyway. :v:

Hey I think Neil Young still plays electric gigs

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Wark Say posted:

But I like Wilco. :ohdear:

I mean, old man Cline plays with them and he's a loving badass guitarist.

However much one likes them or doesn’t, Wilco definitely isn’t Shania Twain/Keith Urban type pop-country. Haven’t kept up with their output the last 10+ years but even “alt-country” started to feel like quite a stretch in the mid-late aughts. Just like mellow NPR indie-dad music.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I feel like the exceptions they list on the coupons are maybe not enforced and it somehow acts as some sort of CYA? Possibly having to do with manufacturer rules about how low of a price you’re allowed to advertise for their products?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I feel like unsealed wood guitar is probably a bad idea?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Jizzmaster

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Did not expect the gwar bar is so vegan-friendly

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Dr. Faustus posted:

That dude knows what he likes!

I like that it's not necessary to have anything more than the info contained in the picture to know that this is 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt a dude we're talking about

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Unless each of your guitars clearly covers different sonic ground I can’t help but think less of you*. I don’t care how much you love Telecasters.

*But, ya know, who gives a gently caress what I think lol

The entirety of my collection is an ugly mim strat from a pawnshop, a gorgeous mim p-bass that is a retired rental instument, and an Epiphone PJ bass bought for like $150 circa 2001 that doesn’t really work and just sits in a closet but Tom Araya drew a pentagram on it and it has sentimental value to me. In practice I am really quite cheap/minimalist when it comes to guitars.

That said, I kinda get it. Because I contemplate modding my bass all the time and I never do it because I really like it as is and I don’t want to mess with a good thing in pursuit of an idea of perfection that will always be a moving target. But if I had infinite money to throw at this and no shame about it I’d probably own several p/pj/jazz/stingray basses by now that were all just like minor variations with different necks and pickups and pots and bridges and whatever, because that’s how I could try out little tweaks without messing with what I already have. For that matter I’d prob have several strats/LPs/teles/jazzmasters with the same kind of little differences, despite the fact that I suck rear end at guitar. And there’d prob be a bunch of overlap in terms of finishes because they only come in so many colors and I like what I like.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 30, 2020

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Ahh, now this is that classic stupid music thread content

Like what the gently caress. They relic'd it by... spraying some white paint on the edge of the headstock? Or did they just sand the tinted finish off there and it's white wood underneath?

Either way, they're asking $80 for an SX tele neck that costs $50 new (or $120 if you want the whole drat tele), because they hosed it up ever so slightly in ultra low-effort fashion. This feels kind of like way way back in ye olden days of SA when that one kid was trying to sell microwaved CDs as art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
What was the impetus for creating this video? Where and when was it intended to be shown, and to whom?