Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Holy poo poo that's moving at lightning speed for the government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Sam "Broke-bank-Fraud"

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Sam Bank-run hosed-up

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

These are the LOLs I hunger for

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is pretty much the entire philosophy of business these days. I've worked for several tech startups (mostly not fintech, with one exception) that are now quite large, generally around communications and marketing roles, and I couldn't tell you the number of times I've heard the implication that the actual value of the product doesn't affect price tags or revenue, only the "perceived value" (which is specifically an arbitrary qualitative evaluation implanted in the audience's head by the marketing department, rather than anything related to actual value)

It literally does not matter how good your product is, all that matters is how good you make people think it is. Same deal with how "luxury brands" are usually the same thing as the cheap brands but they jack the prices up and say "only rich people can afford us, lol" and it makes people want their products because they perceive them as being of higher value. Or how if you put an actor in a lab coat in your commercial, everyone will just kind of assume everything they say is factual and science-backed.

e: One of my clients when I was doing e-commerce consulting was literally just importing cheap sunglasses and accessories from China and selling them at a 10-20x markup because they had a 'luxurious' logo with a diamond on it printed on the side and they were making money hand over fist :psyduck: This is what 90% of new online-only "brands" are.

This really is an amazing and appropriate allegory for a lot of startups. See: Juicero.

Late stage capitalism is an amazing poo poo show.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Lazyfire posted:

Boeing stock kept going up during the height of the pandemic when orders were being delayed, production lines closed and expected new plane introductions/announcements didn't happen. The 737 max was and is still not shipping and the rate increase on the 787 has been delayed with no end in sight. The stock should be at zero, but it's Boeing, so people buy the stock just because of that.

"I drink Coca Cola, so I'll buy some Coke stock!"

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I'm familiar with this scam artist from watching American Greed but holy poo poo that video. I somehow just got all the cancers. At the same time. From that video. Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Southern Cassowary posted:

i still remember how hard i laughed the first time i heard her say "motherfucker"

The way she said gilf. Like it's a good thing. Like she's taking "back" the term gilf. No. Ugh. God. It hurts.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

SettingSun posted:

This is a criminal who stole and attempted to launder several billion dollars worth of cryptocurrency lmao.

That’s one boss lady gilf alright ….

*shudder internally throughout*

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Salt Fish posted:

Jorp makes a great point. You simply can't trust human systems, they're too prone to errors and corrupt motivations. That's why we have to replace them with systems designed by me, the perfect human.

On top of being a biologist now he's also apparently a programmer wait just kidding he's an everyday scammer and also maybe a muppet?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Powershift posted:

One of the top stories on CBC right now.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/crypto-king-associate-hands-over-million-in-bank-drafts-1.6736290

One of the "crypto king"'s associates wiped his phone before handing it over to a fraud lawyer who got a civil search warrant against him, and had $1m in bank drafts to the head dude in the ponzi who declared bankrputcy without mentioning them.

Courts love when you gently caress around like this, right?

One weird trick to get out of legal trouble! Lawyers hate it!

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Foo Diddley posted:

first they laugh at you, then they laugh at you some more, then they're like hold on dude i can't breathe, then they catch their breath and start laughing again

Not an empty quote but a quote I intend to
make into a T-shirt

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Mozi posted:

i've heard of wheeling and dealing but this is ridiculous

I dunno, I hear the savings rates there are pretty gouda

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Bitcoin: so dumb it made me laugh

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Is this a bank thread now? I worked as a teller for a bank in Texas once up a time. It was fairly big, lots of branches in Texas and Mexico, so you can safely assume that they did a lot of banking with migrant workers and generally not well-off. The money they made off overdraft fees was incredible, as they made sure to structure checking card debits so that each card swipe made in any given 24 hour period would stack and then be debited as if each incurred after you hit zero dollars. So far example if I, a normal human, had $15 in my account, then in any order went and bought gas for $17, went to Jack in the Box and spent $7, and also got a jug of milk for $3 at the store, then the next day I'd be hit with 3 overdraft charges for $25 each. Oh, and you want to opt out of overdraft charges altogether? Well you gotta go into the bank and sign formal documents, all while you get shamed because someone somewhere might see you as poor because your card got declined. Really colored my view on banks, working there.

I got fired after 6 months for losing money, but no worries. They're still very much around and very big...

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Ups_rail posted:

See the solution to dealing with the unbanked is crypto duh.

I get that it’s a sarcastic post, but so many grifts start with dissatisfaction regarding a current large, probably immovable aspect of being human. Getting old, being poor, banking, taxes, so on. If living wasn’t such a bitch sometimes, grifts would be harder to maintain. Ugh.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Astrochicken posted:

I found out this morning that i can be charged $10 for making more than 6 transfers between saving/checking accounts in a statement period. However if I have more than $20,000 in savings, then the $10 will be waived. Lmao lol.

In a country where 40% of people or whatever can’t come up with $400 for an emergency, that makes TOTAL sense

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

notwithoutmyanus posted:

*You* have questions. The exchanges that facilitate money laundering and don't require KYC, do not have questions.

I was sent this from the old crypto gang. Apparently this implies something other than dumb luck and hides that it's not implausible this cost someone way, way more than 160k.

I’m so baffled by this bullshit. Like does this person have a name? Are they even real? Or is this one of those “I know someone who sold enough Cutco knives that they won the Cutco knife master of the year aware for 100k and I don’t know who they are but I just KNOW it’ll be me this year” things? Because I have to assume it’s the latter and that is just standard level grifty poo poo but instead of money, you get an abacus made of dog poo poo.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/20/business/crypto-boss-do-kwon-sentenced-prison-montenegro/index.html

Good for crypto? More crypto scammers in prison means more crypto scamming positions open!

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Came for the poo poo talking about apes, stayed for the blurry goat man

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Elias_Maluco posted:

This is good for bitcoin

Fewer bitcoin holders means fewer bitcoins amiright? Something something to the moon

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Time_pants posted:

Yeah, navigating 3 years of built-up neuroses in isolation has done incalculable damage to my own mental health and personality, not to mention several relationships. I'm barely pulling out of a spiral weeks before it became a crater. I think it's natural for people in times of stress to either lose hope or contrive a messiah figure to believe in.

There’s a concept in psychology that says that trauma tends to exacerbate trends that were already in motion. For examples: if you use alcohol to cope with stress, individual trauma will likely make you drink more. So it’s fascinating to me that we saw (and are seeing) that on a national level.

I think this tendency was made even worse by Americans tendency to be isolated and mentally unhealthy in general, but the individual differences have been interesting nonetheless. For me personally, it brought me and my partner closer together, and also made us better friends with some of our closer people. However, it also made me incredibly disillusioned with my career (mental health), and I have to wonder if I wasn’t already heading in that direction.

All that being said, theoretically anyone could be susceptible to a grift like crypto, but like…I don’t get it. I guess I’ve just never been that desperate.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Agents are GO! posted:

The funniest thing about Less Wrong is how many people I've witnessed independently having the exact same walking away point: the dust-in-the-eye thought experiment.

I had to look this up too and I feel dumber for having done so

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

rydiafan posted:

His haircut, I assume.

I'm jealous of that hair I won't lie.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Having worked in the medical ward of a few jails in the past, it blows my drat mind that he’s getting ANYTHING resembling adderall. Like, that’s truly unheard of. 1) because prison medical bays are cheap as gently caress, but 2) because that would make a tasty addition to some jail wine.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

more falafel please posted:

midway in the 90s was basically all Coke Guys

I’m really more of a Pepsi guy myself

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Today, in "this is good for crypto," the New York AG has determined that Genesis and Gemini were, IN FACT, very much scams.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/19/tech/crypto-firms-fraud-charges-new-york/index.html

The winning never stops for team crypto

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I know it isn’t bitcoin related per se, but WeWork is an equivalent scam and it just filed for bankruptcy today and this fills me with delight

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Nessus posted:

Wait did Seraph shift to a second account before getting banned? Maybe bitcoin really is generating wealth.

Why yes, it is I, John….Smeraph. Definitely not that other guy, Seraph, who is handsome and smart and wise, that handsome devil.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Came to lol about Zhoa, saw I was quoted in a Seraph meltdown post. All in all, 10/10 would post again

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Facts vs Feelings posted:

Clearly it bothers you that I am posting here. Given that:

1. I am not going away
2. You can't place me on ignore effectively

The only logical conclusion is for you to stop reading and posting in the Bitcoin threads.

If you fail to do that, and continue whining about me here, you are logically inconsistent and self-defeating.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lol pretty sure that's a type of terrorism rear end in a top hat. A really sad, 5 year's old version.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I'd be happy to invent the term "terrorism rear end in a top hat." Way better gift to mankind than bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Jumping in just to say I'm disappointed it wasn't more. The max potential was way higher, and frankly I was hoping they'd make an example out of him....