Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jose posted:

is it hard or risky to buy drugs using bitcoin

It's so easy, you'll almost suspect your anonymous dealer is a cop collecting information on users.

You'll probably be right, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

emoji posted:

I got $2k in real world money out of dogecoin I mined years ago for half an hour using free aws credit bc I thought the meme was funny OP

Still easily the funniest thing to come out of this whole thing.

https://i.imgur.com/Hzea1LJ.mp4

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

now it's money laundering through a network wholly controlled by chinese mining companies with unclear ownership, that's just not funny

Bitcoin mining uses more electricity than ~110 countries.

is that funny?

Each transaction uses as much electricity as the average US household does in 3 days.

The network could run on an NES if there was no arms race.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What ever could have caused this latest price increase? :iiam:

In completely unrelated news, tether found another $25m in the couch cushions on october 28th.

http://omniexplorer.info/lookuptx.aspx?txid=91f2df37258d00f8873d7b3b52b381fe0a428e1a80f8cdeab64c82da5569a388

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tether is printing fake money like crazy. $60m in 24 hours, $100m this week.

http://omniexplorer.info/lookupadd.aspx?address=3MbYQMMmSkC3AgWkj9FMo5LsPTW1zBTwXL

I'm sure they totally have $595m cash sitting in their account to back this up, though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

holy poo poo, it's now up to 146,000 unconfirmed transactions:
https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions

and the fee is up to $11.99:
https://estimatefee.com/

quote:

Transactions Per Second 32.64

Bitcoin's theoretical limit is 7 transactions per second, realistic limit is about 4 transactions per second

quote:

Total Size 531467.209 (KB)

With 1 mb per block, 1 block every 10 minutes***, it would take 531 blocks, or 88.5 hours to process the current backlog if transactions stopped being added

***with the drop in price, miners are switching to other coins, there have only been 4 blocks found in the last 1 hour, 23 minutes. they have all been full, but only 9185 transactions combined, that's only 1.844 transactions per second.

There have only been 22 blocks found in the last 6 hours, there should have been 36.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

why are they calling bytes 'satoshis'?

they call 0.000000001 bitcoin a satoshi because it's a cult.

e: the difficulty just adjusted yesterday, so if the mining network is where it appears to be at, it will take nearly a full month of the network running half speed before a difficulty adjustment. that's a theoretical 3.5 transactions per second, realistic 2 transactions per second.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 12, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'm aware of the limitation and I don't believe it's intrinsic or unsolvable.

Holy poo poo, a real life "it's in the wiki"

From the same guy who did the real "starting now"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I tried to go buy some milk at the corner store but they only accepted dollarcash and dollargold, and all i had were regular dollars.

I tried exchanging 5 dollars for the 400 dollargolds the milk cost at an ATM in the store, but i didn't bring my passport with me, so i couldn't scan it into the ATM to actually get my dollargolds out. By the time i ran home and got back with the passport, dollargolds dropped in value by 50% and the milk now cost 800. I put another 5 dollars in and the ATM bluescreened and stole my whole $10. I tried calling the customer support number on the ATM, but it was just a phone sex line and i got dinged for another $43 before i figured out she couldn't help me with the ATM.

Hopefully the next fork of the dollar is the one everybody agrees on and accepts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dog Jones posted:

How come the creator of bitcoin won't come out in public

He just wants to play with his trains, leave him alone.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I won $50 on a scratcher that only cost me $5. It works and it's a legit investment strategy. invest all your money in scratchers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

H2SO4 posted:

Has any cryptocurrency exchange done this to date?

Most of them just stall until they're completely broke.

This time it's different because....

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

We got hacked but don't worry we just won't redeem any of those tethers*

* or any tethers at all, per our legal page

e: also lol Bitfinex suspended USDT withdrawals a couple of days ago, so presumably the hack has been known about for some time but they just got around to notifying everyone else with what amounts to a blog post lol

It happened on the 19th

http://omniexplorer.info/lookupadd.aspx?address=16tg2RJuEPtZooy18Wxn2me2RhUdC94N7r

Suspending USDT withdrawals is a whole different bag of snakes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But banks have lights in them and stock brokers use computer, those use electricity, too

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

That's an unconscionable amount of electricity for Bitcoin.

And that's JUST bitcoin. Ethereum is another 50% of that. all the little pissant altcoins probably another 50% on top of it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I believe the term you're looking for is spurious correlation

http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why don't they just make a suckertoken to give to people who got their positions wiped out by flash crashes and exchange errors. That would stop their bitching.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Whenever bitfinex can no longer honor bitcoin withdrawals

It's possible that time is very close, because they have been closing short margin positions at $14k and long margin positions at $5,600 when the price hasn't moved from $9k.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

When is the bubble gunna pop so I stop feeling like an idiot for not buying bitcoins?

Tuesday.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Inept posted:

I don't think he was slamming crypto or ethereum, just making fun of a janky website. You care too much about this poo poo

But if you start poking holes in any of it, the whole ship sinks pretty quickly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

myDad posted:

no poo poo! might play with this instead of gold etfs

Bitfinex offers margin trading, and totally isn't insolvent and making up for the insolvency by manipulating the market to close people's positions.

My suggestion: mortgage your house, and leverage it 100x to bet on altcoins. you could turn $100,000 into billions in an afternoon. There's no downside!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Has anyone said starting now yet?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

proctorbot posted:

dumb question, but what actually is a bitcoin?

I read people saying they are stored on hard drives. is it some kind of file? like could I click on a bitcoin.

if I go buy a bitcoin, do I actually get a thing? or a website just says, "you now own one bitcoin". who is holding the bitcoin. what does it even mean to hold a bitcoin or have one in your possession.

I know these are dumb questions but I'm not a cool computer guy like y'all and I don't understand bitcoin on a fundamental level.

The file you can have on your computer is your "wallet", it contains a private encryption key that corresponds to the public encryption key that is stored on the blockchain. The blockchain is a public ledger of every transaction that has ever happened. Transactions are made that lead to a number of bitcoins, up to 9 decimal places being associated with your public encryption key. In order to manipulate those bitcoins in any way, you need the private encryption key.

You can store those bitcoins in an online wallet but they all eventually get hacked and robbed. You can keep them on an exchange, where it's usually just kept in a communal wallet, but those, too all eventually get hacked and robbed.

If someone else gets your private key or you forgot where you put it or the hard drive it's on dies or you accidentally delete the file or you download a wallet stealing virus, the coins are basically gone forever.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Superrodan posted:

How big is the ledger file at the moment?

145gb

There are 219,188 unconfirmed transactions right now because the main fork of bitcoin is keeping the block size at 1mb/block. If they increase the block size to say, 2mb, the blockchain will grow twice as fast. They average around 2100 transactions per 1mb block. The 219,188 pending transactions would add between 80-100mb to the blockchain. Paypal in 2016 did 6.1 billion transactions, Matching paypal alone would add 2.9tb a year if they uncapped block size.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nessus posted:

A little under 150 gigs, or almost as big as my johnson if you prefer metric units.

I don't know if this came up earlier, but:

https://qz.com/1149772/the-murky-relationship-between-bitfinex-and-tether-is-raising-suspicions/
Also I guess tether is just literally fiat money? Issued by a single authority and backed by promises alone?

No, tether is more like arcade tokens, if the arcade let you use arcade tickets to get more tokens.

You put $10 into a machine and get 10 arcade tokens that they say they will buy back from you at any time.
You put the tokens into a game and win 40 tickets.
You use those 40 tickets at the toy counter to get 40 arcade tokens
You tell the arcade owner you want to trade your tokens for money
He says he got hacked, and then disappears.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

How many cryptocurrencies are there? Can more than one survive? Is Ethereum the new bitcoin?

I think we should make gooncoins. If we all jump in on the ground floor we can cash out once the real morons jump in.

Or we can all just agree each gooncoin is worth 1 billion dollars, making us all billionaires, and then all sell at once so nobody is left holding the bag.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

smoobles posted:

A guy who I consider a massive nerd says to wait til it reaches $20,000 to sell. What do you guys think??

It's a ponzi, just buy early and sell before it collapses.

Also if it falls and then rises again, buy in the dip.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

I was just wondering about this, like how would you go about doing this? Hypothetically of course lol

First you give money to the organization that banks with some obscure polish farmer bank and prints fake money to buy bitcoins with every time the price dips.

Short bitcoin on their platform

OOPS! your short position was accidentally closed out at $29,000 even though the price never actually went anywhere near there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fallows posted:

Should I invest my retirement money into a new titan v powered bitcoin rig or directly into bitcoins at this point? need advice asap!

Bitcoin is over. fucktoken is the new hotness.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

klafbang posted:

If you used bitcoins to track the time since the last hack, you could track the days with 8 digits precision.

If you used bitcoins to track the time since the last hack, the last hack would still be waiting for confirmation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42275523

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Every time i see the winning lotto numbers i think that i should have bought a ticket with those numbers on it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raldikuk posted:

Has Tether released any new information/excuses for their recent hack? All of the news I can find about it is just the initial reports.

Yeah, it was on the cover sheet of their full detailed audit proving they actually have $1b in their bank account.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CassandraZara posted:

Did they ever resolve that issue with like a million ethereum that were lost due to some guy accidentally deleting a line of code? I'd have to say that if I had a lot of faith in crypto, that would have shaken it.

Get with the times, nobody has accidentally deleted a million ethereum in over a month, stop spreading FUD

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

divabot posted:

what do you expect from a laughable nocoiner like Hammy, probably still upset he didn't BUY IN EARLY

https://twitter.com/Silver_Watchdog/status/942101565564895232

i am of course confident that every one of those 100 million tethers is from genuine institutional demand for tethers, and each is backed by a shiny dollar in a bank account that exists. this is fine.jpg.

Did you not see their audit?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Honest question about retailers who accept buttcoin as payment. Given the insane fluctuations in the valuations, how do they choose a price and peg that to the actual buttcoin value when you buy your goods?

In other words, if buttcoin’s value drops 25% in a day, doesn’t the retailer suffer a 25% devaluation in what he’s being paid? Or do prices have to fluctuate just as insanely to match?

Would this be a roundabout way to short buttcoin? Buy a bunch and when (if) it collapses, you buy an actual thing with value (like a video card or whatever when newegg was taking it) with your now worthless arcade tokens.

Most use bitpay, meaning a person pays bitpay in buttcoin, and bitpay pays the retailer in cash.

It would be hard to come ahead with $30+ bitcoin fees and 200,000+ backlogged transactions

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Son of Rodney posted:

Bitcoin you a busta!

All you had to do was follow the drat chain, CJ.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

chird posted:

'Come on Tether, print your magical IOUs already ffs'

They just fired off 50 million about 20 minutes ago.

I fully expect another 100 million within the next 12 hours.

e: the 50 mil is off their transparency page, but not into their issuing address. I'm guessing they got "hacked" again.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 22, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Moxxis Endowment posted:

When will you admit that you're Satoshi turdmeister?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kdrudy posted:

How are my CosbyCoins doing?

Hard forked while you were sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

What is “tether”?

Simplest explanation

Bitfinex got hacked, took 37% of everybody's money to make up for it. They then replaced it with Tether tokens that they pegged to USD 1:1 so people could trade on the exchange with the token that represent what was taken from them.They have since made 1.25 billion more of those tokens and used them to to pump up the price every time it fell a little bit. They claim to have $1 USD in their reserves for every tether they have produced. They refuse to prove it, they refuse to exchange USD for tethers.

It's basically fake USD that can be used on a few different exchanges and they just keep printing them all willy nilly.

It's the $1,250,000,000 elephant in the room.