Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I don't really see why Ellison took a plea. What's a hundred years to an elf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Kind of off topic but I have an ancap friend that has a son named Obi-wan Tiberius Magic Smith.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
My dad thought he didn't understand crypto then I explained that yes, people trade real money for fake money.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's high stakes monopoly for losers.

Monopoly games last longer than most crypto scams.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

PITY BONER posted:

In today's schade-trade news, GME meme stock is down to $18, its lowest price since the initial meme squeeze. GME apes will continue to buy as much as they can until they have no more left to bag-hold with.

Crypto bros have already figured out FTX's downfall:

Edit: Cross-posting from the Jordan Peterson thread.

The CIA is the most overestimated organization in human history.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Are you saying Wolfenstein isn't an accurate depiction of medical care?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Boxturret posted:

well it had previous scenes of larry david throughout history saying wheels and lightbulbs and airplanes and rockets were dumb and wouldn't work,

It's kind of funny that they compared the greatest inventions in history to literally nothing.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

repiv posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_scam

The general idea of a scammer taking a smaller amount with the promise of returning a larger amount has been around forever, but I think the variant where the victim chooses the fee and is promised double that amount back may have started with MMOs

I can't possibly imagine anyone being stupid enough to fall for that.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

drk posted:

My dad is a MIT educated engineer and fell for it. It was the craigslist variety where the prospective buyer "accidentally" overpays with a (stolen) check and asks for a refund of the overpayment (via good check).

He didn't try and cash the check first?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

One of the keys to getting away with a crime is shutting the hell up. This guy is somehow going to end up with a death penalty.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Boxturret posted:

statists hate him! local man uses one weird trick to turn his wire fraud charges in to treason!

He somehow ends up in a Soviet era prison where they take you into a room and just shoot you in the back of the head.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm ashamed to admit it but my mom spends a lot of time on MAGA Facebook so it's no surprise she knew a guy pushing crypto. But even my somewhat racists, kind of stupid mother figured out it was a stupid idea.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Does Caroline Ellison get to stay in the Feywild while she waits to testify?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Wait, that guy was serious? I thought that was parody.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I did too. There is no way to look at that chart as a whole and not see it trending upwards.
I looked it up and yes, that guy is dead serious. He works for Exxon doing poo poo like this. Here is a free piece of advice. If you work for a company that Marvel based a villain off of, you're probably on the wrong side.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Cedarbridge posted:

I saw the dip and bought too early. On the upside I can tell my dates, who will be wowed and impressed, that I'm an investor in crypto.

I wonder how long the average Tender date lasts with a cryptobro.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I was just reading an article about Celsius and seeing these people that put their life savings into Crypto just makes me wonder. I feel sorry for them but at the same time they are so drat stupid.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Victory Lap posted:

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1611235593115111425

How can I possibly pay my legal bills without use of the money I stole??

I had a friend try to sell me on Robinhood. My first instinct was that it was a scam. I wasn't exactly right but I'm glad I stayed out.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Lord Stimperor posted:

I was also peripherally involved in a crypto thing. For about a year, a couple of other dorks and I would meet weekly to discuss new projects on the crypto forums and to come up with a use case for smart contracts that we could maybe make something out of.

We couldn't find a single project that wasn't in some sense implausible or nonsensical. We couldn't define a single use case that overcame fundamental problems with crypto, or wouldn't be better served with a database. It is really, really hard to find a good reason for anything crypto.

We held out so long because we couldn't fathom why there was so much frantic activity in that space. We thought people must be explaining it wrong, because what we understood sounded completely stupid. I have since then lowered my expectations dramatically.
The only socioeconomic system that blockchain benefits is anarcho-capitalism and I figured out that was nonviable when I was 12 and reading Spider-Man 2099.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

zedprime posted:

One twin only tells lies while the other twin only tells lies. What do you ask to incriminate both twins?

Shoot one in the leg.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
How come SBF doesn't get vegan meals, but the Qanon shaman got organic food?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
If I hosed up so much I made Chloe Bennet break up with me I'd probably go crazy too.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MechaCrash posted:

The thing about mini pigs is that they are mini, people just don't realize how loving big a pig can get. There's a reason why boar hunting used to be something you did to prove you're a badass, after all.

From what I understand in order to keep a pig "mini" you have to have it on a starvation diet. Since Americans feed their pets like they feed themselves it seldom works out.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Qwertycoatl posted:

It might also be a vague shoutout to the conspiracy theory that he was arrested to prevent him from testifying to congress, for reasons of ????

(a theory which, as well as suffering from lack of sensible motive, also fails to account for the fact that nothing in the world can prevent SBF from telling everyone everything)

If you sewed his mouth shut, he would spontaneously develop telepathy so he could keep incriminating himself.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

notwithoutmyanus posted:

They asked each other and said it's fine.

Many of the people I used to deal with in crypto, I had also strongly advocated should contact lawyers *before* doing anything because of the lack of understanding of crypto legality and so on. They always, always are unwilling to seek professionals, out of being cheap and/or arrogance.
Cheap? The'll spend 5k on a NFT but not to retain a lawyer?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

BigHandsVince posted:

I don't get it, is this one of those "he's not confesssing, he's bragging" type deals?

Pretty sure SBF is just an AI chatbot that's used financial media and it's own farts as reference data.

He got to the top by talking about blockchain so the only way he really knows how to respond to a crisis is keep talking.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

BigHandsVince posted:

But surely, with the charges against him, his expensive lawyers will have told him to say nothing?

Oh, I'm sure they did. But he graduated from MIT and built a 36-billion-dollar company, so he clearly knows better.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Remember that Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie bomb scare? This is kind of the opposite of that. They had a lawyer that told them not to say anything about the case so at a press conference they talked about 70s haircuts. Of course, SBF has bad opinions about those too.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Good loving God. His lawyer is going to kill him.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

LifeSunDeath posted:

Haven't heard people talking about paper/diamond hands lately after all the coins/NFT projects crashed. guess it's all just poo poo-hands now.

What's this paper/diamond hands thing?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I honestly don't see how anyone besides crazy ancap people get into crypto. As my dad's perfect understanding of the FTX collapse, "People give real money for fake money?"

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So is Attack of the 50ft Blockchain a good read? I just learned about it and it seems like a pretty accurate description of everything.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Foo Diddley posted:

i actually couldn't get into it, not because it wasn't written well, but because it was all stuff i already knew. so i couldn't tell you if it's good or not, i just automatically started skimming it instead of reading :/

e: give divabot ten bux anyway tho

I read the blurb and I'd never heard of the physics student hiring hitmen.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Foo Diddley posted:

well if you never heard of ross ulbricht then you are in for quite a story

*looks up Ross Ulbricht* Oh the Silk Road guy.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Cyrano4747 posted:

There is exactly one thing that makes the USD (or any other currency) have any kind of intrinsic worth above and beyond Disney Dollars or Starbucks reward points: It is the only thing that the US Government accepts to pay taxes with. I can't pay my taxes with farm animals, I can't offer to dig a ditch for the government, I can't even send them a brick of gold. That is the underlying value of the dollar: if the Government says you owe it $5 (whether from taxes or fines or whatever) you need five actual dollars to pay it, and if you don't pay the government they tend to do poo poo like arrest you.

Foreign trade and reserve currencies etc. get more complex, but that's the short version of why fiat works and you don't actually need the dollar backed by gold or any other "real" store of wealth.

Remember when Trump tried to pay a lawyer with a racehorse and he was all, "This isn't 1850, you can't pay me in livestock. "?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Piggy Smalls posted:

Nope its straight from Nugens email address. Remember my neighbors bought my family these coins as a gift and was trying to get me to put down money because I guess it would help him. I spent not a penny.

Support@nugenuniverse.com

Giving cryptocurrency as a gift is the most sociopathic thing I have ever heard of.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MokBa posted:

My favorite little local Chinese place still has those cookies with FTX fortunes inside. Literally they're all about accepting volatility and taking risks and I've never seen such a baldfaced attempt to rip off regular people. And the fact that it's FTX is even funnier.

I'd rather get a fortune that said I was going to have sex with my mother.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Agents are GO! posted:

Why not, everyone else has.

You joke but when my mom left my dad for another man I didn't talk to her for nearly a decade.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

ellie the beep posted:

SUCH a wild detail at the very tail end of this, that apparently SBF has a brother who also is tied up in all this:

I mean, if I had a scam netting billions of dollars, I'd let my sister in on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Porfiriato posted:

Maybe they want to make it legal for people to still pay in gold certificates if they're so inclined?

That was literally a thing that was going on for a while. Goldbugs would lobby states to declare gold legal tender so they could use these gold debit card things. I guess putting all your wealth into a metal heavier than lead can be inconvenient.